Germany: International Relations & The E.U.
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Germany: International Relations & The E.U.

Incredible experience

My summer in Germany was unforgettable. Every day, I was challenged, whether it be through the culture shock, group discussions, or host family activities. However, it was through each challenge that I learned new things about myself and the world around me. Having difficult conversations, stepping outside of my comfort zone, and being vulnerable allowed me to truly immerse myself in the German culture while creating strong relationships with my group.
The group dynamic was absolutely amazing. The 14 of us came from different backgrounds with different opinions and ideas but all with a passion for politics and change-making, that made for thought-provoking discussions and debates, allowing us to constantly learn from each other and think in ways that we never had before. The relationships that I've made - both German and American - are ones that have helped me realize my own capabilities as a leader and truly changed my life for the better.
The Experiment has given me a summer that I will never forget, and I strongly recommend this program to any high schooler looking to broaden their world view.

Germany excursion

Through this program, I have grown into a more passionate and aware leader. In this program, I met many new people in my group who have similar and different mentalities. Through this variety of personalities and opinions, I was able to gain more perspectives of life from others. I also got to see how passionate and determined the other attendees are - I left the program hopeful due to the fact that I knew the future was going to be full of individuals who are similar to the individuals in my group. From this impactful experience, I had the opportunity to succeed as a leader that I am meant to prosper into and also got to create life-long friendships with the most amazing people I have ever met.

• Personal Development

The best experience ever!!

Throughout the month I was in Germany, I learned so much and gained insight I couldn't have gotten elsewhere. The Experiment provided a perfect balance of education, volunteer service projects and free time in which we could split up and explore the cities with a small group. I learned so much and grew as a person and I feel as if I returned home changed by this experience. I made friendships closer than most I have back home, with both the Germans and my group members. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking to study abroad for a summer in high school.

The best month ever!!

While living in Germany for a month during summer I gained so much that I couldn't have gotten from any other experience. The Experiment in International Living provided the perfect balance of education and fun free time when we were able to explore the city on our own. I grew as a person and gained a new perspective and I feel like I came back a different person. I made friendships closer than any I have back home and also connected with the Germans. I would definitely recommend this program for anyone looking to study abroad during a high school summer.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Amazing summer

This was the highlight of my summer last year. It was a whirlwind of a month--jumping from Berlin to Bonn, going on to Niederalteich, and finishing in Munich. Looking around between summer abroad choices, I was looking for an immersive experience program. The Experiment was exactly that. I received the chance to experience life and culture in Germany, not just watching and learning but living it out.

Of course, on the flight over, I was nervous about spending a month with completely new people, followed by a homestay. I didn't need to worry--everything turned out splendidly. I've made friends to keep, and my host sister is visiting me in the states next summer.

EIL was one of the best experiences of my high school career so far, and I'm so glad I got this amazing chance!

Very positive

My high-school aged daughter applied to the Germany trip to study Contemporary politics and the EU program through The Experiment In International Living. We looked at various study abroad programs and decided that The Experiment was the best fit for our family.

The Experiment in International Living was fabulous from start to finish. From the beginning, the process was seamless. We were regularly updated as to my daughter's application and stayed informed until her arrival home.

My daughter has traveled abroad through school exchange and with family and she said that this was the best travel experience. She made life-long friends with the other students in her program, learned so much about the country and the native language and was educated on politics. The family she stayed with may not have been warm and fuzzy, but they kept my daughter protected and comfortable. I felt that the family was well-vetted and I was comfortable knowing she was safe. Being on the other side of the country and having to rely on The Experiment wasn't easy at first, but The Experiment provided a safe, well organized and thoughtful program that went beyond my expectations. Through various (closed) social media outlets, I was kept informed during the month-long program. Whether it was student-written blogs, snapchat videos or email itineraries, I was able to follow along vicariously without bothering my daughter on a daily basis. She was able to immerse herself without feeling like she needed to connect with me on a daily basis. I think that aspect only enhanced her experience.

The Experiment in International Living did well planning this program, incorporating fun activities, and educating the students. My daughter would go again and has suggested the organization to her friends. I highly recommend The Experiment to any family looking for a study abroad program.