Australia-Vietnam Skills & Education (AVSE-TESOL)
TEFL in Vietnam - AVSE TEFL in Vietnam - AVSE

Australia-Vietnam Skills & Education (AVSE-TESOL)

Valuable course.

I completed the course in July 2013 and I‘m still finding it extremely useful, after teaching 4 years here.
The intense 4 weeks training delivers more than what I was expecting. I would warmly recommand AVSE.
Brilliant course !

Exceeded all expectations

Well aware that you get what you pay for, I agonised over which TESOL course to enrol in. Having narrowed it down to the top 3 service providors in Ho Chi Minh City, I decided to apply to AVSE, as I knew that their Australian Government accreditation guaranteed a high quality educational program and that the international recognition that this holds in the industry is preferred by many employees.

Having recently completed the course, I felt compelled to write this review as I'm sure there are providers out there that just don't deliver on what they promise. AVSE did this plus more and I'm extremely pleased I made the correct decision. The course curriculum was thorough in its content and I learnt many invaluable techniques and teaching strategies that I doubt I could have elsewhere. The lessons were entertaining and I'm overwhelmed at the personal attention I received from the instructors who were able to focus on the individual requirements of different students. AVSE'S guaranteed job placement is an added bonus which is not a gimmick; their connections with blue chip employers opens up the door to well paying and even unadvertised jobs that would otherwise not be possible.

Even allowing for the fact that I've now completed my formal studies and teaching pracs, AVSE still remains an invaluable teaching resource for both me and my fellow ex students as we embark on our new teaching experiences in Vietnam. I'd strongly recommend that anyone who might be facing the same dilemma as I was in choosing which organization to go with..... FORGET THE REST BECAUSE AVSE'S THE BEST!

• Course Instructor

Top class instructors, can't imagine better

The course was hard work, but fun. The instructor was just brilliant - incredibly experienced, knowledgeable and at the same time fun, and with great people skills. If you do this course, and put the effort in, you will have great start to a TESOL career. AVSE do a lot to support you during your time on the course. The experience of living for month in a non-touristy area of HCMC is also a great experience.

AVSE course outcome

Having taught English in Japan for 25 years, I was confident in my ability to take up an English teaching position anywhere I desired. As I had always been interested in Vietnam, I wanted to continue my career there.

Research showed that in order to acquire the best teaching positions in Vietnam a TESOL or equivalent is required. After checking a number of options, I was drawn to the AVSE-TESOL in Ho Chi Minh City. There are a few reasons. Most importantly, it is Australian Government accredited. Secondly, employment is guaranteed by AVSE. Thirdly, very reasonable accommodation is included in the plan.

During the course, the instructors were professional and informative and went out of their way to help people. The admin people at AVSE were excellent.

Since concluding the course last week, myself and most of my classmates have already found teaching positions in the most sought out institutions.

AVSE-Vietnam's number one TESOL provider

It was only last week that I completed the TESOL course at AVSE in Ho Chi Minh City and I already have a firm job offer with a top tier English language school.
Considering I had no prior teaching experience before I arrived at AVSE, the job offer is testament to the high-quality training they provide.
I now understand why AVSE is considered the Number One TESOL provider in Vietnam. It’s about the quality of the training (Australian Government accredited) and the people who work at AVSE. To Mary, David, Paul, Johnno and the rest of the AVSE team, I just want to say thanks!
I would recommend AVSE in a heart beat....they deliver on their promises!
Fernando Lima
TESOL 89 – June 2017

• Course Instructor

The beginning of a love story

After living in Las Vegas for 13 years I decided to move back to my home country of The Netherlands. A lot had changed in 13 years. I had difficulties acclimating to the "sterility'' of my city of Rotterdam after so many years of debauchery in "sin city" and decided to pursue a new adventure in the shape of teaching English abroad. Overanalizing things can paralize me with indecision occasionally, but this time I put on my brave shoes and took the plunge with AVSE after studying numerous websites and reviews of other in-class TEFL/TESOL providers.
Let's be honest...it takes a bit of faith and/or determination to give someone money that's 10.000 km away and that you've never met before. You're placing your trust on the content and "feel" of the website and numerous positive reviews. It paid off because the process was smooth and streamlined from the very first email down to the end of the course. The course provided me with real live teaching practice with real students. This alone has boosted my self confidence and teaching ability to great heights. Something I wouldn't have gotten, had I taken a online TESOL/TEFL route. You can definitely feel the passion and love that has gone into creating a great TESOL program at AVSE. Make no mistake... this is Peter's (founder) lovechild and it will prep you for your teaching adventure without a hitch.

• Course Instructor

Fantastic experience that has set me up for a career in teaching English.

I completed the course in March 2017 and can honestly say that it was one of the most productive, fun and interesting times I've ever had.

The course is very well planned and structured. From the get go, you know exactly what will be expected of you. I found the course to be both challenging and rewarding. It is presented with user friendly methods, which allowed me to progressively gain the confidence and skills needed to conduct my own classes.

The tutors were all extremely competent, professional and patient. They were always on hand to offer assistance, both inside and outside the classroom. I was also most impressed with the level of planning and organization that went into the daily running of the school. Meeting the expectations of 40+ students with high expectations provides a massive logistical challenge, but AVSE handled it most efficiently. The school are very committed to student welfare, and the few minor issues I raised with the management were timeously and professionally dealt with. The Managing Director, Peter, has instilled a fantastic work hard, play hard ethic into the school, and there is a great balance between work and fun.

Within a week of completing the course, the school had set me up with numerous interviews, and a week later, I landed a fantastic teaching job in Vietnam. I can without hesitation say that I would not have been able to land this job had it not been with the help of AVSE.

AVSE delivered 100% on all their commitments to me, I can whole-heartedly endorse their integrity and quality. I am having a really great time in Vietnam, and would encourage anyone thinking of becoming an English teacher to look at Vietnam and AVSE.

Very Impressed

I completed the TESOL program at AVSE in Ho Chi Minh City on Friday 2 June 2017.

While there are many things to like about the AVSE TESOL program - real school environment, accommodation within walking distance of the training center and suchlike - it was the people who work at AVSE that deserve special mention. From the Vietnamese ‘security’ guy watching over the motorbikes parked at the front of the school through to the TESOL educators, tutors and auxiliary staff, the support that’s offered to TESOL students is above & beyond what I had expected.

The course was full-on from day one of the 4-week program with a heavy ‘practical’ emphasis. While the workload wasn’t an issue for me, I can see how it might be an issue for others. My point is, this course is not for folks who are looking for a quick TESOL certificate of paper value only. It’s the real deal & you’re expected to work.

Overall, I’m very impressed with AVSE-TESOL.

Simone Simonetti
United Kingdom

• Course Instructor

AVSE - Professional, hard working, reliable, and fun!!

I first learned about AVSE through word of mouth from a person who spoke very highly of the school and its staff. I made the decision to enroll at AVSE because of the good reviews, free accommodation, and affordable tuition. Vietnam currently has a high demand for English teachers, so choosing AVSE also seemed like the most reliable choice for a smooth transition from the classroom to the work force.

I am currently in my last week of the AVSE TESOL program, and have very positive things to say about this school. Coming into the program, I had very little teaching experience, but here in the last week of the course, I am confident that I can effectively teach any class that is given to me. AVSE has prepared me to be able to stand in front of students and teach in a creative and organized fashion. Because I was so well-trained in class, I was able to successfully teach a demo class even before completing the program, and gained employment at one of the top English learning companies in Vietnam. Being the type of learner that I am, there is no way that I would be as confident or successful as a new teacher if I would have chosen to do an online certification program or any other program that is less “hands on” with their students.

Go for it!

I attended the course in April 2016 with my best friend and had an amazing experience from start to finish! What impressed me most was the staff at AVSE. Everyone was so approachable and welcoming and our tutors created a safe environment where we felt at ease putting our new teaching skills into practice. They were always there to give us extra guidance and support, especially when it came to lesson planning and job applications and took time to give us detailed feedback which I found really helped me to improve my technique. I also have to commend the speed at which the staff helped me to secure a job after I had completed the course. Within two days they had arranged an interview with a popular language centre in Hanoi called 'Apollo'. I successfully passed the interview stage and a week later flew to Hanoi to start working as a full-time EFL teacher. I worked for Apollo for a total of 8 months and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. AVSE enabled me to begin my teaching career with confidence and passion and gave me a qualification which will allow me to pursue teaching jobs all over the world for years to come!

You'll be ready to teach in 4 weeks

From the minute I arrived at AVSE-TESOL in Ho Chi Minh City, I was made to feel right at home. The day before my course started, AVSE put on food & drinks for all participants. This was a terrific opportunity to meet classmates, tutors, trainers and the school Director, Peter Goudge.

The course itself is both practical and theoretical with a program that takes you from zero to hero in a matter of weeks. The Help from the whole team at AVSE behind the scenes was very good and you have access to their offices and materials for your lesson plans.

After all the knowledge learned in class the thing I valued most about this course is how well organised your rosters are, and in particular the practical hours inside a classroom both supervised and eventually unsupervised was a huge confidence builder for me. You are required to step outside of your comfort zone and AVSE do a great job of building you up. This is something you will not get from an online only course.

This experience included talking daily in the classroom to increase your confidence with public speaking in a classroom environment, Class management, lesson planning, TESOL guidelines and fundamentals of TESOL practice Teaching classes around HCM in both public schools and language centers and exposure to the real thing.

Overall I was impressed with this course and I feel I came out of the other end a competent and confident teacher ready to hit the ground running in any classroom.

I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to gain a globally recognized Qualification of ESL teaching, and at the end have some solid experience in a classroom environment and the real deal.

Ticket to freedom!!

I attended the course in April 2013 and wanted to add that I am now this year supporting my son to attend the same course that I credit towards creating a foundation to secure me a job in Saudi Arabia.
I loved the course, fellow students, tutors and who we taught. I had already taught for 21/2 years when I attended the course and despite my teaching experience, I lacked confidence.
I had a total of 5 jobs after the course and a major one in another province before I left Vietnam altogether. The abundance of work and gratitude was positively over whelming.
I was then offered a choice of jobs in Saudi Arabia in 2014 which turned my life around. It was the attendance at this course and the proficiency I gained in myself and teaching that short listed me for what I consider the top job in this industry with no English degree, a Bachelor of Health Science believe it or not!!
I went into syllabus design and assisted the manager of our team in my last contract. I credit this course as it brought out my strengths and ways to express these in a really practical and beneficial way to the curriculum and my students.
I taught for 14 months in Saudi Arabia teaching women, English and in a kindergarten in Bahrain.
I am heading back to teach English in 2018 and due to the foundation this course set, I know I can secure quality and highly paid work wherever I choose to go.
This course I consider a wise investment in yourself and a way to support you in gaining insight into what will give you skills, recognition and fulfillment in the English Teaching world from a phenomenal group of educators.

AVSE rocks!

I have to say that my time with AVSE was money well spent. Not only did I get the teaching experience and knowledge I wanted, I also got taught by Paul Fitzgerald - one of the best TESOL instructors on Earth. The location of AVSE was another plus as it gave the students a crash course on Vietnamese culture (and traffic). Another aspect I've been highly impressed with is their ability to find jobs for their students. Within a week after the course I had either been applied to or applied to myself to over 13 schools in Saigon, and eight days of finishing the TESOL course I was working at a great school for excellent wages!

I will say this - If you come to AVSE get ready for two things: 1) be prepared to give it your all and work hard. 2) be prepared to party hard and have a ton of laughs. If you can both work hard and play hard then this is the place to be. It's a fun environment that is made even more fun by the students and the instructors.

I cannot say enough good things about both AVSE and Vietnam, both are places that I'm thankful I found. So, if you're looking for a fun and educational experience in a foreign land than this is the place for you.

Amazing experience

I would strongly recommend the AVSE-TESOL program to anybody wanting to teach English as a second language in Vietnam. Peter Goudge, the managing director, and his team did everything they could to welcome us and prepare us to teach in the best schools in Vietnam.

Thanks to the AVSE-TESOL Team, I learnt how to teach English properly and in a funny way to Asian students, and I have also been able to adapt rapidly a new and very different way of life. I will remember this experience all my life long.

I definitely think that the course was money well spent, since I got hired in one of the best schools of Ho Chi Minh City after having my certification

AVSE TESOL

With so many options out there for a TESOL certificate, I really did not know which one to choose. Would I do one online or an in-class program? Would I do one in my home country or a program that was abroad? After much research and contemplation, I finally decided on AVSE. I paid my tuition, bought a flight, and found myself in the middle of Vietnam. I must say, that it has been the best decision that I have ever made.
Throughout the TESOL program at AVSE I learned numerous pieces of information that I can now implement in my ESL teaching career. The way that AVSE presented the curriculum that they were teaching us made it fun, exciting, and very engaging. It seemed as if all the students in my class were eager to learn each and every day. Having confidence in front of a class is typically one of the most challenging parts of becoming a teacher. One of the best components that AVSE has is that they put their students in real world teaching environments so that their self-confidence sky rockets by the end of the course. This is something that an online TESOL program could never give you.
Being in a foreign country all alone can seem like a very frightening thing. AVSE helped easy this terror. From the time that they picked me up at the airport and still to this day, I feel like I have a new family! The staff at AVSE are super friendly people and always willing to help in any situation. The teachers are very knowledgeable on ESL teaching and were always pleased to stay after class if we had any further questions relating to the lesson.

Even if you are the most inexperienced and shy person, I would highly recommend the AVSE course to anyone that is looking to do a TESOL program. AVSE will ensure that you gain the confidence and have the knowledge and resources to begin a very successful career in ESL teaching.

Exceptional

I knew I wanted to give TEFL a try one day, but I didn't know how to get started. Doing a short online course, flying to Asia, and marketing myself as qualified did not seem very moral. Luckily, the staff at AVSE understand teachers and students. AVSE is a well respected English school and TESOL training center. They genuinely care about the education of their Vietnamese students and future teachers.

During my month at AVSE, I learned about lesson planning, classroom management, Vietnamese culture, and the school system in Vietnam. By the end of the course, I felt confident and prepared. All students complete seven practice teachings to ensure that they are ready.

Within a week of the course ending, I had a job in a location that I requested!

Amazing experience

Following the TESOL course at AVSE is definitely an experience I'll never forget. My wife and I came to Vietnam not really knowing what to expect but once the course started, all our stress disappeared. We were in such a nice group and made some really good friends from all over the world. Everybody at the school was very helpful and supportive.

Since I was already working as a foreign language teacher in the US I thought I wouldn't learn much from the course but I couldn't have been more wrong. Sure, having prior teaching experience helps but the method is very different from your typical European or American language class. I loved how practical and straightforward the formation was. The heavy focus on "learning activities" to get your students active and moving in the classroom is something I will definitely re-use in the future.

Overall, it was an amazing experience. The formation was interesting, the people were fantastic. I've enjoyed those 4 weeks a lot and would definitely recommend it.

Do this course!

I enrolled onto this course whilst still in England, after hours of researching where to complete my course. This is the only company that offers an Australian accredited qualification, free accommodation, Vietnamese lessons, a guaranteed Job and above all support and security. When you arrive everything is easy; they pick you up from the airport, take you to your hotel, give you ANY information you need such as places go eat, how to get around etc. and throw a welcome party for you! It is also great because you get the chance to observe some amazing teachers and by the end, actually have you're own class. It really prepares you for what its really like to be a teacher in Việt Nam. AVSE is truley an amazing, unique course that I can assure, will not dissapoint!

Happy TESOL Student

After searching far and wide I enrolled in the February 2016 TESOL course at AVSE-TESOL in Ho Chi Minh City. I settled on the AVSE-TESOL course chiefly because of the Australian Government accreditation & the employment guarantee that comes with the 4 week program. The accommodation that is included in the fee was an added bonus.
On day one of the AVSE-TESOL course I distinctly remember thinking: 1. this is going to be a lot of work; and 2. I made the right choice.
If you want to learn about teaching English as a second language and obtain internationally recognized certification - and you’re prepared to do the work - then you may well find that AVSE-TESOL in Ho Chi Minh will meet your needs. Personally, I couldn’t be happier.

Highly recommend!

The teachers and management are extremely professional and well organised (it’s actually quite rare in Vietnam) yet very friendly - they helped me with whatever problem I had!

The course itself challenges you so you should prepare to study! But that’s why it’s special - you really do get your money’s worth. The course has the perfect balance between hard work and fun! They helped me to get a job just few days after the course ended even though it was right before a national holiday and I’m not native speaker - I was afraid it might be more difficult. Later, whenever I compared my teacher’s training with my coworkers it was clear that my training was a lot better - especially when it comes to creative parts like activities, lesson plans etc. I feel AVSE really prepared me to be an excellent teacher with all tricks and tips I received.

When I first arrived to Vietnam I couldn’t even cross the road - the person from school showed me where to eat, where and how to go somewhere, where to buy school supplies, which busses to take etc - you name it, they helped me with everything, complete 100% support. I made many friends for life from my class (mostly my housemates - house is amazing too btw!) and we often reminisce about how great the school was and wish we could start all over again!

Top marks for AVSE's TESOL course in Ho Chi Minh City

Have just recently completed my AVSE TESOL course which was based in Ho Chi Minh City and, despite the somewhat challenging location, loved everything about the course. From the start, you're made to feel very welcome - Managing Director Peter Goudge holds a welcoming party at his house where you get a chance to meet him, your classmates, past students and other staff members from AVSE.
This was a top night, which ended rather a bit too late after a few late-night pool sessions up the road!
The intensive month-long course was well structured and thought out - taking you through everything clearly and at just the right pace. The teaching practices - while nerve wracking at first - ended up being extremely fun and helped boost my confidence no end, plus the Vietnamese teachers and administrative staff were all very helpful. My course tutor, David Chalker proved to be a first-class trainer; very knowledgeable, engaging, helpful, and just an all-round top guy, plus MD Peter was also extremely helpful and always on hand to offer some friendly advice (and the odd joke!).
All in all, a great experience. If anyone is thinking of doing this but still not sure, then do yourself a favour and just sign up now! Believe me, you won't regret it.

• Course Instructor

I fully recommend this course

I came a long way to attend this course. It is a 12 hour difference between here and my hometown. I had many concerns. I have never taught English as a second language before. I had never been to Vietnam before. I knew zero Vietnamese. Etc.
This course was not easy. This experience was difficult. But I have grown through it.
This course gave me confidence.
Now I know.
I know I can walk into any classroom and present a good effective English lesson.
I quickly found a job that I am happy with.
I fully recommend this course.

Top school

Very well taught and landed a well paid job at one of vietnam's largest english school within 1 day of graduating. Organisation at the school is first rate and the staff are extremely helpful. The school is very personal and the staff always put the tesol students first.

Couldn't recommended more.

AVSE experience

I can confidently say that AVSE delivers on what they claim, throughout the 4 weeks there I felt like i got more than my money's worth. The training staff was excellent, really dedicated and knowledgeable, the facilities on par with any TESOL course in Australia.
The course helped to brush up on my weaker areas with great feedback from the trainers and other students, even the accommodation was better than i expected. I honestly don't have any criticisms of AVSE and am very glad i undertook the course and would do it again in a heartbeat.
The school also got me a job within 3 days of finishing the course, which was a big issue for me and I'm sure many potential TESOL students.
All in all a very good course at a very good school with a guaranteed position afterwards.

Really amazing!

From the first day to the last I felt very much welcomed and that I could approach anyone at AVSE with a problem or question. The course material was very easy to follow and understand and the lecturers were very patient when it came to something that wasn't understood. I was challenged to grow and to step out of my shell.

Having real classroom teaching experience was amazing and the opportunity to teach all ages was really good. It taught me how to handle different ages and what the best approach is to teaching such ages.

Besides enjoying the course, I made some really great friends and I am very glad I made the decision to come and do the course. It has been an experience of a lifetime!!!