Chile: Public Health, Traditional Medicine
SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Chile: Public Health, Traditional Medicine

Wonderful program with great opportunities

This program provided many opportunities that would never have been possible alone. We were able to meet people and go to places that aren't accessible to your typical tourist, making the program feel very worthwhile. Another wonderful aspect of the program was that it was clearly worth the cost. There was never a moment where anyone wondered where all the tuition money had gone; it was visibly being spent on our experiences and and our time abroad.
The host families were the absolute best part of my time abroad. Each family was carefully chosen and a lot of time and energy went into pairing up students with the best fit.

A personal growth journey

I enjoyed the variety of experiences I had doing this program. We took several trips so we got to see a good portion of the country. The host families were all nice and wanted to help their students and have them be involved with family activities. It was difficult to adjust to all of the sudden changes at first, but the staff were all helpful at in country orientation. The academics weren't very rigorous, most likely because you are encouraged to do a lot of investigating on your own time and experiencing the culture beyond books. I would have liked a more detailed methods course that gave more practical examples, but the traditional medicine and public health courses were interesting, with a fair number of guest speakers. I loved the ISP (independent study project) period, as it allowed for the most freedom and you can investigate a specific topic that really interests you.

A very rewarding experience!

This SIT program is an amazing opportunity if you are looking to improve your Spanish, explore indigenous cultures and traditional medicine, and get a taste of public health/ethnographic research. While I enjoyed the calm beach town of Arica, my favorite parts of the few months were the excursions to other parts of the country and the ISP. The academics were much less intense than my university, but a great learning experience. I highly recommend!

Public Health in Chile: Que bakán!

This was a fantastic program that I would highly recommend. The staff were extremely supportive and accommodating, the excursions and visits to hospitals/healthcare centers were informative, and the homestay portion helped my improve my spanish and understanding of Chilean culture. During the ISP period, I got the amazing opportunity to live with a Mapuche family and work and study in their community.