Teach English in Ecuador with Projects Abroad

Teach English in Ecuador with Projects Abroad

Teaching English in Ecuador!

My traveling partner and I worked teaching English at a rural school in Northern San Cristobal, about a five minute walk from our placement (where we lived). This was an incredible experience; we taught 7, 40 minute classes per day, from 7:15 to 12:30. If we had to form a lesson plan or do research, we would typically stay from 12:45 to 3pm at the volunteer office in town until our job was done. The teachers were very accommodating of our impromptu class scheduling and seemed excited about their students learning English; with so much of San Cristobal’s jobs being related to tourism, it makes future employees very marketable if they know even a little English. We formed our own lesson plans based on given material, and taught each age level at a different pace.
I am happy to say that we finished the majority of what we had set out to teach by the end of our placement, namely high-yield vocabulary and verbs. Forming relationships with the kids and watching their English knowledge progress made getting up early really easy. All of the inside jokes and play-time during “Recreo” (recess) made teaching the kids a lot more fun and engaging. When the kids had a week of school off during our last week of placement, our coordinator, arranged for us to work in the tutoring center in the center of town. Here, we worked with three age groups and two other volunteers. It was very interesting to see how Lindsay and I viewed teaching English compared to the other volunteers, as we had been designing lesson plans independent of one another; the majority of the teaching was very similar and flowed cohesively with me and Lindsay’s knowledge. Overall, it was an incredible experience and something I would recommend anyone with a interest in teaching pursue!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review July 06, 2018 at 12:02 PM

It sounds like you had a very productive time in Ecuador! It's very important to have goals before you start your project so you know what to work towards, so it's great that you were able to achieve yours! Thanks for sharing!

Teaching English in the Galapagos islands

I just traveled to the Galapagos Islands for a month with Projects Abroad. On the island of San Cristobal, I taught English to students ages 7-13. The staff there worked very hard to make every volunteer feel welcomed, and appreciated. I received so much support from them as well as other volunteers. It was certainly a challenge getting the young kids to pay attention during class, but it was a fun process.

The host family I was matched up with was great. I had my own room and was given three meals a day. My host mother was selfless, and always looked out for my wellbeing. I had a lot of fun with the kids there too. I taught Naomi and Diego to play a few songs on the guitar, and in return, they taught me some funny Spanish jokes.

I am glad that I decided to go to this part of Ecuador, and I hope to return someday.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review July 28, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Dear Alexander: Sounds like you had an amazing time in Ecuador! Indeed, teaching young children is always a challenge, but it is extremely rewarding! It's great that you had such a special connection with your students, as well as with your host mom. Thanks for sharing!

Teaching in the Galapagos!

I went to the Galapagos Islands to teach English for a month though the program Projects Abroad. The staff was incredibly supportive, not only passionate about their work, but also personable and kind to every volunteer. Immediately I felt looked out for and like all my needs we're being met. For my teaching project, I worked at one of the local high schools. I was paired with an English teacher and helped him plan lessons, grade, and worked with him on his pronunciation. I lived with a well selected host family. Every volunteer had such a great experience with their families and the staff constantly checked in to make sure there were not issues. I had the opportunity to see so much on the galapagos, it was far and away better than I could have ever imagined. I met so many amazing people, locals and volunteers. Projects abroad really immerses you into the culture of the country and by the end you feel like a local, living with a family, working with locals, discovering the secrets to the country or area that tourists don't always know about. I always felt safe and loved every minute of my volunteer trip!

The 8 weeks that changed my life

Eighteen years old, early high-school graduate of a small mountain town in North Carolina, you could say going thousands of miles away to live and teach was a shock for my family and everyone that knew me-including myself. Unsure of what I was getting into, looking back now I had no clue what was about to rock my world, the people of the Galapagos.
After becoming a part of my host family and making life long friends from every corner of the world, I came to appreciate and see my world around me with a whole new view. The people I was supposed to be impacting were changing my life in more ways than one. The island and the people that inhabited it grew my heart with each greeting and adventure.
From climbing volcanoes, snorkeling with sharks, and belonging to a community, Projects Abroad helped me find who I am. Each situation I handle daily is shaped by my values and character that my volunteer experience gave me. It is a gift that I could never repay.

The International Volunteer Programs Association