Microfinance Project in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Microfinance Project in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Working with women entrepreneurs in Arusha

Even though most of the women's situations were very sad, the willingness to learn, the appreciation for the volunteers and their drive to become better was inspiring. I volunteered for a month in the Micro Finance project in Arusha, and I have to say I probably learnt more in that month than in my 3 years in college. We were only two volunteers in my placement, hence we were given a huge responsibility. Working with almost 100 women, who each of them had their own business. One of our responsibilities included creating the lesson plans, as well as preparing the material for the educational portion of our job. This included everything from teaching them English and maths, to business concepts. I really enjoyed this part because I had never been given the opportunity to make lesson plans or lead a classroom before, and I found a true passion for it. The second part had to do with the financial help. We gave loans to the women. This meant we had to do all the loan payment collection, keep track and correct their bookkeeping books, and tech them how to properly do it. This portion of the program was more straightforward, but I still learnt a lot from it.

This is a great project, organized by an amazing group of people! I would recommend anyone to do it. Specially if you want to be part of the change in so many women's lives.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Dear Jose: Thank you so much for helping us out in our Microfinance project in Tanzania. This is project has so much potential when enthusiastic volunteers such as yourself join and commit to help the local women. Educating them with these basic business concepts really does change their lives! Thanks for sharing!

Helping Women in Need

The three month microfinance project that I worked on through Project’s Abroad not only deepened my knowledge and understanding of micro lending , but it also provided me with a hands on, multi-cultural experience. From the day that I landed in Tanzania, Project’s Abroad was very intentional about making sure that my volunteer experience was top notch. After my second day in Arusha, Tanzania I began working on my microfinance project. Through this project I received a lot of experience on how to do business counseling to poor and illiterate small business owners. As a team we worked with nearly 50 women in order to help them further their livelihoods and better their businesses. I was able to help and educate these women in need. Through my three months that I spent on my project I felt like I was able to make a lasting impact on the women who we served.

Another aspect of this organization that I really thought was beneficial to the whole experience was staying at the host family. The host family that I stayed with was incredible! They treated me as if I had been their son from the day that I got there. They were able to help me with any questions/concern that I had not only with my project, but also with the culture in general. My experience would not have been the same if I had not stayed at a host family’s home. This opportunity also gave me the chance to meet other volunteers that were staying at the family with me. In the short time that I was there I was able to make some of my best friends through Project’s Abroad. I would highly recommend Project’s Abroad to anyone.

The International Volunteer Programs Association