Care & Community Work in Peru for Teens

Care & Community Work in Peru for Teens

Working at the wawawasi

My name is Michelle, I've just returned from Cusco, Perú where I volunteered to work at a daycare centre for the last three weeks. In January I decided to join Projects Abroad, a project that wasn´t well known in the country where I live (Buenos Aires, Argentina) but I made my research and decided to go for it. In February I arrived, unsure of what I would find there, but everything went excellent, I have absolutely no complaints. My host parents were nice and welcoming, and I lived with other two volunteers from Australia and the UK with whom I became really good friends. My role at the placement was working with little children in a Wawawasi, which is Quechua for "daycare centre". I helped making activities for the children, teaching maths and english to both students and teachers; helped with the cleaning, cooking and others. I feel as I received much more than I gave; everyone was so caring and lovely that they were constantly telling me how much they appreciated my visit. In fact, the teacher invited me for lunch to her place the last day and cooked for me a typical peruvian dish! I couldn't be happier for my experience, and I would definitely recommend it to others, and even consider repeating the experience in the future.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 02, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Dear Michelle. It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Peru! It's great that you were able to make friends, not only with the children you worked with but also your host parents, roommates, and even the teacher! Thank you for trusting in us!

Peru - care and community

Projects Abroad did a really great job of making us all feel safe, even during riots at the time. We were under constant supervision at all times, even for tasks when we were forced to split into smaller groups (like taking cabs home).
The 40 hours of volunteer work was balanced between an elderly home and a kindergarten. In the elderly home you could choose to interact with the seniors or work in the kitchen. In the kindergartens, everyone was split between classrooms and acted as a TA to the teacher present.
Living conditions were great, they make sure you are with a couple other people.
About 3/4's of the group came individually, so don't feel hesitant to sign up without a friend. Everyone got along great.
The trip to Machu Picchu was unsurprisingly amazing, but the rest of the trip was so excellent that it just seems like one of many highlights.
I would definitely recommend this program for anyone between 16-18 years old who enjoys interacting with people.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Hi Georgia, thanks for sharing your experience! Indeed, Peru is such a beautiful place and its people are so friendly it's hard to choose a single highlight! We do understand that we have many young volunteers coming abroad for the first time, which is why we try to make the adaptation process as soon as possible and our local staff always work hard to make you all feel supported and safe at all times.

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

My first time volunteering abroad!

I had a great experience with Projects Abroad. My parents were a little worried about security and the political situation the country I would volunteer in would be so I picked Peru and it was a great choice! Projects Abroad always made sure we were happy and if we wanted to do change something in our schedule all we had to do was ask! They were very welcoming. I met so many great people like my host family, other volunteers and the staff. Not only did I volunteer but we visited Peru and its various cultural sights. Overall I had a great time and I would definitely do it again!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 01, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Dear Estelle. Thank you for sharing! We are glad you were able to join is in Peru and explore this beautiful country. Hope to see you again soon!

The International Volunteer Programs Association