Operation Wallacea - Honduras
Operation Wallacea Operation Wallacea

Operation Wallacea - Honduras

Ambling around in the wilderness

I had the greatest experience in that one month period and is definitely worth the money. From tracking up mountains for 9 hours or playing football with the locals at base camp, there’s enough to make lasting memories. I learnt so many valuable field skills and practical knowledge which has aided me in completing my masters course. Spending weeks with the same individuals trecking around brings everyone closer together making friendships which last. Working with professionals out in the field gives you opportunities to make connections which will aid you in your professional career. The locals also bring fresh coffee for you everyday which always a positive.
In short it was a great experience which enhanced my passion for wildlife conservation whilst making great friends and unforgettable experiences along the way

Cusuco jungle volunteer work

Volunteering in Cusuco was the best experience of my life. I had no prior experience in this kind of work but everything was explained really well and there were loads of helpful staff around always willing to explain stuff to us! A lot of the surveys required a lot of people in order gather enough data so I really felt I was making a worthwhile contribution to the conservation effort of the Cusuco national park by helping out in as many surveys as I could.
The camps we visited in the forest were basic but really well run and didn't take much getting used to. They were really well run with basic but great food and the locations of the camps were amazing. I loved living there. Can't wait to do something similar again as soon as possible and hopefully for longer next time!

Dissertation student

I spent six weeks at the terrestrial site in Honduras this past summer. I was collecting data for my botanically based dissertation project. I really feel like the trip made me a better scientist and dramatically increased my field skills. The support I received in preparing my dissertation proposal was phenomenal. I really feel it put me leaps and bounds ahead of my peers. The support continued on site from the staff and excellent scientists and supervisors. They helped me plan and execute a really great project. I honestly feel that I could not have collected data for a project of this standard without the help of Operation Wallacea. The support also continues once you are home and in the writing stage! I highly recommend doing a research project with Opwall, either in Honduras or in another of their sites (Mexico is pretty awesome too!) If you do choose Honduras, I have a few tips:
1) Bring plenty of warm clothes. It gets very cold at night at the altitude you'll be camping at, and it isn't safe to hike in shorts and spaghetti straps.
2) Invest in a good roll mat and hiking boots. You'll be doing a lot of hiking, and sleeping on the ground.
3) Bring wellies and wet gear! This is a cloud forest guys.
4) Be fit. I can't stress this enough. Prepare in advance.
5) Take every opportunity to participate in as much as you can! You can sleep when you get home!

Embracing Honduras

This summer I decided to go to Central America for the first time and volunteer as a research assistant for 6 weeks in Honduras, which split up between three weeks deep inside the Cusuco jungle and three weeks at the paradise beach of Tela. The chance to observe and document endemic species, meet such great scientists and share cultural backgrounds with the locals made this experience unique.
I totally recommend Operation Wallacea and Honduras. The knowledge acquired from the interesting ecology, biology and wildlife uniqueness plus the atmosphere of the place were definitely a gaining for my future career plus Operation Wallacea surprised me on how everything is organized and all the high scientific standards.
Don't miss the chance to contribute to preserve this amazing place!

Opwall in Honduras

It was a wonderful experience and opportunity to really gain understanding of the threats to protected areas and how to combat them. Furthermore, the staff were real experts and excellent in communicating their knowledge and enthusiasm to us.

Honduras Marine Sites Were Awesome

I was a marine only research assistant that was helping out in Honduras for a month, and it was awesome. The people you meet, the staff you work with, and the environment that you are working in is something to remember. All the days were planned out and there is always something to do, which made everyday exciting. Diving is a skill that i will continue and remember, and Honduras is a place i will revisit in the future, whether it be for another expedition or a personal trip. Diving at two different base camps, Utila and Tela, makes you see the differences in coral reefs, even though the two reefs were situated just kilometers apart. I was glad that we were given the chance to see two different reefs during our stay, it just goes to show how diverse a reef can be based on its location. Operation Wallacea made this trip really easy as well. The staff helped us prepare what items we may need for the trip as well as our flights for the trip if we so choose to. The accommodations and safety precautions made the trip less stressful for me personally and for my parents as well. Helping out with the projects was a great experience too. The people that you work under has so much to talk about and i was given so many opportunities to learn new things about the organisms in Honduras as well as the state of its coral reefs. I loved every moment of every day when i was there and i would do it again if i had the expenses to do so, I had a really great time when i was there and i hope others will experience it too!

Once in a lifetime experience!

I completed a two week trip consisting of a week in Cusuco national park and then a week on the island of Utila. The variety of tasks in the cloud forests was amazing, meaning we got to experience a huge range of animals and habitats. Everyone that worked within the camp was extremely friendly and informative. All tasks each day were really well organised and towards the end of the week we could tailor the tasks we chose to our own interests. Utila is an absolutely beautiful island accompanied by such friendly people. Overall, my trip was unforgettable and I have experienced things most people only dream of! Not only was it good fun but I learnt so much!! Would highly recommend it to anyway, props to Opwall for making it so good!!

What an experience

As a marine based student I was looking forward to the marine based activities however I enjoyed the terrestrial just as much! Honduras has amazing wildlife both land and sea which is truly a site to see. Although the terrestrial side was tough at times it was well worth it, gaining valuable transferable skills and making great connections. I had the time of my life in Honduras, made friends , met locals ,made great connections, got to try things I thought I wouldn't enjoy (terrestrial based surveys) and reaffirmed my love for the Marine world.

Opwall Honduras - an eye opener

After completing an applied marine zoology and conservation degree, this volunteer trip granted an insight and the physical means to put a large quantity of skills that were covered during studying to use in the real world. The chance to also see, explore and interact with terrestrial studies is also an enriching experience which should not be avoided even if your interests lay elsewhere, such as in my case. The whole experience is enhanced by such a motivated and enthusiastic team, both on the marine and terrestrial sites. If you, like me, had certain reservations about booking your place on the trip, then push them to the side and book your place before its too late. You will not regret it :)

Life changing trip

I never thought it would be possible to have such an incredible, life changing experience in the middle of a cloud forest ! I've made so many friends who come from all over the globe because of this trip and honestly couldn't ask for a better experience! Cant wait to return next year.

Honduras

An amazing experience I'm glad I did (6 weeks in the cloud forest is amazing) and I would do it again. Only downside was that there was no medic in one of the camps, instead sharing with base camp, and it was a 3 hour walk not including the heavy medics kit if something had happened. Otherwise everything was amazing.

Astonishing! I'm so glad that I took the opportunity to go!

My time in Honduras with Operation Wallacea was amazing! It was so much more than I could have ever imagined. I had the time of my life. The people that I met were incredible. Their dedication and passion in their research was contagious. It made you want to learn as much as you possibly could. The Operation Wallacea community was so inviting and they made you feel at home even though home for me was a thousand miles away. The memories I made will stay with me forever. I would highly recommend Operation Wallacea to anyone who is interested in the environment and conservation. Even if a person isn't overly interested in the environment, I would still recommend Operation Wallacea to them. There are an endless amount of things that a person can take from an amazing experience like the one I had. I'm so glad that I took the opportunity to go on an adventure like this one! I will cherish it my whole life.

Honduras expedition 2

My expedition with Operation Wallacea was certainly unforgettable. I have learned so many valuable lessons because of this amazing program and I will take them with me wherever I go. It is hard to say what the best part of the expedition was, because I enjoyed every second I spent on the country, and even if I wasn't enjoying it at the time I look back on it today with longing. If I could do it all over again, I absolutely would, and I do hope to have more adventures with this company in the future. These experiences were very hands-on real life opportunities, and I took away important skills in my field of Environmental Science. I am also so happy to have met so many amazing people that I hope to stay in touch with.

So very worth it

Had an amazing time, was skeptical going in since it was very very expensive but once you are there you forget all about it and can't think about anything else apart from how amazing the place is and how much fun it is and how you are so glad you did it.

Great experience

A real boost to my academic parcour. It was for me a fantastic way to discover exactly what I want to do as a scientist in the future. To live in a cloud forest for one month have been an amazing experience and I look forward to live it again.

Honduras dissertation expedition 2017

All staff and volunteers were wonderful and I met some amazing, inspiring people. The expedition was challenging physically, yet most definitely an unforgettable positive experience. Cusuco National Park is a very beautiful place.

Great fun

If you are wondering how good an experience this is, don't, was worth every penny, thank you OPWAL for reminding me what it means to work in the field of conservation and relighting my passion for the field.