Operation Wallacea- Croatia
Operation Wallacea Operation Wallacea

Operation Wallacea- Croatia

Croatia - operation wallacea first expedition

The trip turned out even better than I had anticipated; all my expectations were exceeded! It was such a thrill to work with such a diverse range of enthusiastic and friendly people from a variety of backgrounds. It was also a great transition from completing my university studies and applying some of that knowledge and appreciation to research abroad, whilst contributing to conservation practices. Anyone who hasn’t done an Opwall expedition doesn’t know what they are missing.
The trip offered opportunities to engage in a range of biodiversity surveys, both terrestrial and marine; my personal favourites were the cave survey and scuba diving surveys (when diving you experience a whole new world!).

Croatia 2017

There was very little pre trip contact which made me nervous but as soon as I got to the airport there was someone to meet me and the level of care remained the same throughout the 2 weeks I was in Croatia. The scientists were so passionate and inspiring and the sites on both Krka and Mljet were stunning. I would 100% go again and learnt so much

Opwall Croatia 2017

An amazing trip which really allows you to get involved with practical research in conservation and biodiversity, as well as the opportunity to achieve your PADI qualification from start to finish. The staff are brilliant, and the scenery is amazing. Would highly recommend.

Simply breathtaking

If this is something you are concidering doing then you must! I honestly have no real complaints about my 2 weeks and wish I could have done more. The sighs were truely amazing and I learnt more than I ever expected with many of these skills being transferable to my course.

Great craic

This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. This was the first time I did anything like this, and to do it in another country was daunting in some ways but unbelievably exciting every step of my adventure. Being an inspiring conservationist, it really confirmed what I want to do in the future.
The expedition was quite well run, not the best obviously as it was the first one in Croatia so I can't believe what the other ones would be like. Other than gaining interesting knowledge you also get to see how scientists work in the field, how things are run and the process of gathering and sorting data.
Finally, if you had a fraction of the fun I had during my trip you'll be laughing. I met people that will be life long friends. So be brave, don't hesitate, DO IT!!

Croatia 2017

This was an amazing trip and definitely worth it, I'm very glad I decided to join this expedition. The landscape in both Krka and Mjlet was beautiful and the studies we were conducting on both sites were interesting and diverse. All the scientists present at both sites were very helpful, friendly, and more than willing to talk with us about the subjects they were studying. I would highly recommend going on an expedition through Operation Wallacea because I feel like the knowledge and experience I gained will last me a lifetime.

The trip was worth it!

My trip to Croatia was so much fun, and was the experience of a lifetime! Not only did I get to explore the wildlife in two magnificent settings (Krka National Park and Mljet Island), but also learnt many things about survey techniques, ecology and sustainability through interesting lectures and field work. The staff is very welcoming as well, in both places, and do their best to make you and the rest of the group feel included.
A couple of important things to note though is that it is not ecotourism, and while it was interesting for me, a future biologist, it's also tiring and difficult (waking up very early, walking in the heat, mediocre food quality). Also, I discourage you from learning how to dive in the second site (try to learn before) as it takes away from the experience: you miss interesting lectures and don't have the chance to do ANY surveys (even though they indicate the contrary).
Overall, it was a great opportunity to meet new friends, and a unique way to travel in a country I hadn't visited yet. It will be even more interesting in future years as 2017 was the first year for the Croatia program, and they were still not completely organized.