Working with Kids—Volunteer in Peru!
MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Working with Kids—Volunteer in Peru!

After school program at Corazon de Dahlia

Throughout my time at Corazon de Dahlia, I felt very supported by the Maximo staff and also the staff at Corazon de Dahlia. Everyone was very kind and helped me find everything that I needed throughout my time here. The children are so genuine and happy to have our help. I look forward to coming back next year.

Volunteering at after school program

I had a great week with the kids at Cusi Maki. After helping them complete their homework, the other volunteers and myself got to play all kinds of games with the kids, take them to the park, and even play soccer with them. I will miss Peru, the kids, and Jenny (the wonderful lady who ran the program)

Policia de la Familia

I absolutely loved my experience working at the Police station. My only problem fell on the staff at the police station. It took them each time almost 15-20 minutes to finally come and let us out. Luckily, I felt completely comfortable with the kids. We got to play games and interact with them. These kids have absolutely nothing to do all day. They do not even have pencils or pens to write or draw with. So, coming there with activities and an awesome attitude definitely sets the mood for how the week will go.

A fun time

Let me start off by saying Cusco is an amazing place. There is so much culture and so many different activities to do there you will never be bored. The Maximo staff was extremely helpful and was always there if you had a question or just wanted to talk to someone. I also really enjoyed how they offered salsa classes, cooking classes and other activities to help you get to know other volunteers and to have fun. My living situation was also really nice and clean. We had one issue of not having hot water for about three days but we just talked to Maximo and they solved the problem for us. For volunteering, I volunteered at a childcare project called Juana de Aza. The kids here were super cute and the moms were really nice. Me and usually two other volunteers would watch the kids while the moms were down stairs cooking, doing laundry or other daily activities. My only recommendation would to not stay more than three weeks. I stayed for a month and had a great time but I was ready to go to another place after the second week. If I were to do it again I would stay in Cusco for two weeks and then travel to another country for the rest of my time. Overall I had an amazing time in Peru!

The best experience I could have hoped for!

Doing an internship thorough Maximo Nivel at Casa Acogida was one of the best experiences I could have asked for. Maximo Nivel made sure I was taken care of and was always making sure that I felt comfortable during my time there. All the staff was amazing, helpful and kind! Maximo Nivel provided me with a great internship and host family.

The host family provided by Maximo Nivel was absolutely amazing, I could not have asked for a better one. They were welcoming and treated us like we were a part of their family. All the family was caring and wanted to make sure we were comfortable during our time there. The food was delicious, the apartment was spacious, and the family was phenomenal!

The girls at Casa Acogida are sweet, loving, and welcoming. They were incredibly appreciative that I was there and spending time with them. Maximo Nivel does a great job in providing support and help for Casa Acogida. They make sure that the interns have the support and supplies they need to have a positive impact there. Doing an internship at Casa Acogida was a great opportunity that I learned from and one I am thankful for.

Overall Maximo Nivel is an incredible program with a great staff to work with. I am grateful for the experience they provided me with in Peru. I was able to immerse myself in their culture, take in the environment, and best of all; enjoy delicious Peruvian food. This experience was life changing and one I am happy that I had the opportunity to do. I definitely plan on returning to Cusco, Peru and I look forward to working with Maximo Nivel again. If you want to travel to Cusco, Peru to volunteer or do an internship I definitely recommend going through Maximo Nivel they are an incredible program to work with!

Incredible volunteering experience!

I volunteered in Cusco, Peru for 3 weeks in the childcare project along with Maximo Nivel. I can without a doubt say that my time there was incredible! I appreciate that my placement was chosen according to my interests stated in my application because I was able to learn more than I expected! Everyone at Maximo was so nice and invested in helping you make the most of your time volunteering. Anytime I had a question or concern they were available to help. I wanted to start a fundraiser for the program I was working with and when I approached Maximo about it, they helped me every step of the way from creating the gofundme page to buying the donations! I highly recommend working with this organization!

Familia de la Policia Cusco Peru

Volunteering with Maximo Nivel working in childcare was easily one of the highlights of my life.

My name is Jacques Touzeau, I am from Victoria, Australia and I am 22 years old. From May 2016 to mid August 2016 I worked with Maximo Nivel volunteering in childcare for 12 weeks. I worked at the Familia de la Policia (FdlP) which is a detention center for children who have either committed minor offenses, for children who have been abandoned or children who have run away from home. The FdlP is a temporary placement for children until the police can either find them an alternative placement (if they are homeless) or until their service time is up (if they have committed minor offenses).

The detention center where the children were held consisted of a few beds, a bathroom and the children were sometimes permitted to watch the TV. Other than that there was nothing and the children were not able to leave the detention cell. My job required me to be detained with these children and help them pass the time by playing games and giving them warmth and affection that they so desperately need. Maximo Nivel has a heap of games and activities in their storage system so it is very easy to find activities and games that the children will enjoy.

A lot of these children were forced to mature beyond their years due to their family and life circumstances. For this reason it is very easy for the children to form attachments to volunteers as they are not used to the kindness and generosity that we volunteers provide. This alone is one of the many reasons why volunteering in childcare is so rewarding.

In relation to the volunteer company Maximo Nivel they were the closest thing to perfect that is humanly possible. They help you when you need help. They provide ample opportunities and advice when you need it. They strive to accommodate the needs of their volunteers and they understand that even though we are volunteers we are still travelling and sometimes we want to take days off in order to visit certain attractions. The Maximo Nivel in Peru had free coffee and tea, free salsa lessons and free cooking lessons. They have an English speaking doctor if you need it as well. I got sick when I was over there and the doctor prescribed me with the right medication and I was as good as new.

To conclude this review. When I rated this program I literally gave everything a 10 (the highest mark) however this was not cliche. Maximo Nivel were incredible. Nothing is perfect however the help and opportunities that Maximo Nivel provide and the overall experience they help you create is the closest thing to perfection in my eyes. I am back home in Australia now and I am currently applying to work as a Child Protection Practitioner. My supervisor at Maximo wrote me a lovely recommendation letter and is one of my references on my resume. The volunteering I did helped me mature and develop exponentially. If I get a job my plan is to save as much money as I can and volunteer with Maximo Nivel again in a different country.

Maximo Nivel Cusco Peru provided me with the best experience of my life so far. For that I am forever grateful to them. If you are thinking about volunteering with Maximo DO IT. Hands down the best decision of my life. I got to travel, party, eat new and beautiful foods, experience an enriching culture, make friends from all over the world and enjoy one of the most rewarding volunteering experiences that life has to offer.

The photo attached is of me and one of the niñas (girls) at the FdlP detention center. She was an absolute angel and so kind.

Best experience yet!

Signing up with Maximo Nivel, and helping the niños de Prenoei Nogales, is definitely one of the greatest experiences we've ever done in our lives. Not only was this our first time in Peru but also our first time volunteering and something I will definitely do again with Maximo Nivel. They were extremely helpful, and most importantly available, with getting us settled in and gave us tips to live like locals.

We couldn't have asked for a better project to be apart of. These kids, regardless of their background, were sweet, full of energy and always happy to see us with plenty of hugs and "Hola!"s to go around. Though our time was short, it is an experience I'll never forget. I only hope that Tina and I left just as much of an impact on their lives as well.

Thanks so much Maximo Nivel, I can't wait until the next time!

Phenomenal experience!

I spent two weeks in Cusco with a group from my graduate school. I am studying to earn a Master's in clinical mental health counseling, and volunteering with Maximo Nivel was one of the best things I could have ever done. As a counselor-in-training, I often rely on language to work with people. The language barrier in Peru (I speak very little spanish) forced me to strengthen my nonverbal counseling skills. Not only am I so grateful for this experience, I am grateful to Maximo! They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable, safe, and happy. If you are a psychology student or in a related field, check out what Maximo can offer you!

Life changing

I had an amazing experience in Cusco, Peru. The placement was great, the people are fantastic and the service is impeccable. I couldn't have asked for a better first time adventure. It has inspired me to want to do more, go more places and interact with more people in more countries. I just want more!

The best time of your life!

This was my first time volunteering in another country and after doing research on different volunteer agencies I felt very comfortable choosing Maximo Nivel. I volunteered in Cusco, Peru, working with children for one week ( i wish I could have been there longer). They did an amazing job communicating with me and preparing me before the trip began. Everyone is so helpful and responds well to email. Our flight got in five hours earlier than expected at the airport and they happened to have staff at the airport for pick up. They took us to Maximo and helped us get set up. My one concern I had was that we did not know where we would be volunteering or what population we would be working with until the next day an hour before we started our volunteer program. Our homestay was a great experience , it was clean, the food was great and our host family were so warm and loving. The staff at Maximo were so helpful and friendly. Our volunteer site was at a teen moms shelter in the heart of Cusco. The first day a staff member from Maximo walked us to the site and gave us a tour and introduced us to the staff and girls. She was so helpful by giving us tips and preparing us on what we would be seeing and how to handle certain situations. The staff and the girls we worked with were amazing and so grateful for the assistance. We were able to help care for the babies, assist the girls with cooking, gardening, and studying. Overall it was a great experience getting to know the girls and helping with their little ones. Even after our week was over the staff at Maximo have continued to be so helpful. We had donations made to help the families in Cusco and they have continued to remain in contact with us to let us know how the money is being used to help others.
It was so great working with others who care about these important causes and want to make a difference in others lives.

Great volunteering experience

I volunteered at a home for teens moms in Cusco. I had such a great experience! Maximo Nivel kept in great contact before the trip and helped me prepare. The only feedback here is I wish I had known my placement before the trip so I could have prepared even more. ( I didn't find out until I got to the teens moms' home where I was volunteering!) Our host family was great! I am a vegetarian and they prepared the best meals for me! I stopped by the Maximo Nivel office in Cusco many days with questions or just to use the internet and they were always helpful. After the volunteering ended, they still helped me spend some of my donation money and continued to follow up with me about my experience. They were always responsive, caring and attentive. I would definitely volunteer with them again!

Great experience with kids in Cusco, Peru

I am Feride - from Switzerland. Participating in volunteering program for kids at Maximo Nivel in Cusco/Peru was a unique experience.

I was there in May/June of 2016 for 5 weeks. I found Maximo Nivel on the internet by browsing and reading reviews like this one ;-) I am very happy, everything worked out well. All employees were very friendly and helpful.
The place where I volunteered was PRONOEI Paraiso de Fàtima a pre-school, near Cusco city center.

The teacher Vilma was a great and very patient person. During my time there, I was continually
impressed with her energy, positivity, and dedication to the children she worked with. All the kids were nice, cute and friendly. Thank you for the great experience in Cusco/Peru.
I had a great time with Maximo Nivel and would definitely recommend it to everyone.

Family travel abroad

I traveled to Peru with my son and participated in the childcare program through Maximo Nivel. The staff was kind, welcoming and very well organized. The entire time we felt safe and comfortable. Our host family was amazing and a perfect placement for our needs. I couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Best week ever

I went to volunteer to Cusco for just one week, I hope it would have been longer. The seven days I spend there where amazing. My program was childcare and I volunteered in the Antonio Lorena Hospital with kids with cancer. I had worked with kids in these conditions once before in Lima but these experience was completely different. The kids were the best of the best, they were always playing with you, watching movies, drawing, painting, etc. They were very lovely and always wanted to learn more, especially english words. The Maximo Nivel staff were very helpful to me, gave all the materials I needed, the scrubs and because the kids had a weak immune system, they gave me closed new games for the kids. The house I went to was great too, the food and the room was excellent, and the family was very kind to me and the other volunteers. I also met volunteers from all around the world and we are planning to repeat these volunteer experience because of house great it was. I recommend these to everyone no matter if you can do it only one week, it is totally worth it! Go for as long as you can!

Travel, grow and help

I love travelling, I love kids and I think helping people is one of the best things you can do in your live. So, what about doing a volunteer with kids abroad? When I had the chance to take some free days of work I decided to spent them visiting an orphanage in South America. I didn't know where to go but I knew I would like to visit a real place. Searching in the internet I found Máximo Nivel and I got in touch with them. A week after I was completing my inscription.

I spent two weeks in 'Aldea Juan Pablo II', in Cusco. It is one of the best trips I have ever done. Apart from visiting an awesome place, I met incredible people. The children of the orphanage where so cute and spending 15 days with them you realize the lucky we are. I played with them, I helped them with their homework, we spoke about different topics... It has been a really enriching experience.

I would love to go back to visit them. And to see Cusco again. t is a lovely place between mountains, near Macchu Pichu. The ruins made me feel an inca. What more can we ask?

I really recommend to take a break of the routine and to fly to Cusco to have an unforgettable experience with Maximo Nivel. You wont regret it.

2nd Time's A Charm!

I just volunteered in the beautiful city of Cusco, Peru for my second time with Máximo Nivel! I decided to return to Cusco to visit and volunteer at the orphanage, Hogar de San Judas Chico, I worked at for two months last year. Cusco is an amazing city with so much to do and see; however, the experience would not have been the same had I not volunteered with Máximo again. It is extremely difficult to find an organization that not only caters to the needs of the volunteers, but also to the citizens of the country that the organization is based in, yet Máximo does exactly that. I was placed in an incredible home-stay, and felt completely comfortable and safe during my time in Cusco. While I loved the home-stay, Máximo makes it clear that if there are any problems or concerns, they are available to help. Having volunteers stay in home-stays allows for the Peruvian hosts to not only make needed extra money, but also creates an amazing immersion experience and gives the hosts a chance to practice their English. Additionally, volunteers are able to practice their Spanish and learn about Peruvian culture.

Working at the orphanage last year was the most eye-opening experience (not to sound cliché) that I have ever had. I immediately knew I would want to return, but still had some nerves about the experience not being the same the second time around. While the experience was different than last time, it was just as incredible. The smiles on the girls faces when we saw each other again for the first time reminded me of exactly why I returned. I came back to Cusco with a purpose: to spend the rest of the donation money that I had previously raised the year before. When I received news of a family emergency back home, Máximo was there for me in more ways than I could have imagined. I thought I was going to have 2 whole weeks to plan out and spend all of the donation money, but I only had one because I had to go home 10 days early. With the help of Máximo, I was able to buy each of the girls shoes, underwear, bracelets, and lotion. Additionally, I was able to pay for two of the girls to take four months worth of English classes at Máximo. I also was able to buy glasses for the girls who needed them, and I was able to pay for the dentist for the girls who needed dental work done. There was no way I could have completed all of this without the help of the amazing organization.

I am extremely happy that organizations like Máximo Nivel exist because they truly take the time to ask the places that they help what tools and things they need, rather than simply implenting their own ideas. Máximo also checks up daily on the volunteers and their projects, and they are always open to advice on how change things to make the help more efficient. I am proud to say I have worked with this organization twice, and hopefully I will be able to work with them again. At least I know my girls at the orphanage, and everyone else that Máximo helps, are in good hands.

Childcare in Cuzco

I volunteered with Maximo Nivel doing both childcare and the jungle conservation project. I spent a month at an emergency women's shelter where the families live there until they get back on their feet. I was responsible for watching the kids after they get back from school. It was an awesome experience. I was considered "pre-intermediate" for my spanish skills and was so happy I had a bit of spanish. The kids were awesome, and it was really fun to see them so excited about the games and crafts I brought for them to play with. It was challenging in a good way. I was the only volunteer at my specific placement, which gave me the opportunity to really get to know the kids. Definitely would recommend the childcare program!

Wonderful Cultural Experience

I participated in a volunteer trip to Cusco, Peru with some coworkers. It was such a wonderful experience! From the moment we landed, Maximo Nivel took care of us by arranging for our transportation and housing. Our group stayed at a home-stay at Eddy and Lily’s house. The house was spacious, clean, and our host family was so warm and accommodating! It was great staying with the family because we learned a lot about living in Cusco.

Chelsey, our program director, gave us a very informative orientation to prepare us for our volunteer assignment and our stay at Cusco. She even took us on a walking tour to show us good eats and shopping! 

We were assigned to volunteer at an after-school program for disadvantage children, Villa Maria. Once again, Chelsey helped us acclimate to our surroundings and found each one of us assignments and tasks that fit our Spanish level. Every afternoon we helped the children with their homework and we learned about each other’s lives in our broken Spanish and/or English. Google Translate became a very handy tool! During the morning, we took half day tours through their affiliate tour company.

I got a much deeper understanding of Cusco and its surroundings and people by volunteering through Maximo Nivel. I would definitely volunteer through Maximo Nivel again! It was such an eye-opening, cultural and memorable experience!

Cusco Volunteer Experience

In October, 2015 I volunteered with 7 other members of my company in Cusco. We participated in an after school program for underprivileged children in the mountains outside of the city. They did a great job with orientation, preparing us the experience, and making sure we were comfortable and taking full advantage of all the various opportunities (including learning Spanish) along the way.

At the end of the week, they put together all the plans and tickets for us to go to Machu Picchu, where we also climbed Huayna Picchu mountain, which has limited tickets available. It was a smooth and awesome end to the trip.

The professionalism and effort the staff took was immense and resulted in a fantastic volunteer experience that I will carry with me the rest of my life. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in taking advantage of it.

One month with the most amazing kids in the world

I had the best time volunteering in Cusco in a village outside of town in an after school association called Corazon de Dahlia. The staff at Maximo Nivel does an excellent job of helping settling in smoothly, and I liked how I could come up with my own initiative to do stuff with the kids. they are really loving and caring, and if you put your mind to it you will fall in love with them! It really boils down to how much effort you put in. Cusco life and its surroundings are also definitely worth the trip.

A unique experience with the whole family in Cusco

While my husband and two older children worked in construction, I did service work with my 13-year-old daughter at Kyuki-Do Wasi (the house for teen mothers and their babies in Cusco), mainly assisting the babies but also helping the mothers in different ways. I got involved with these mothers and babies in a special way and it was sad to leave them after two weeks. The stories these teenage mothers have already lived, at a very early age, are breath-taking but they shared them with me in the most natural way, with no special bitterness but rather a calm resignation. Given this, I was especially touched by the joy in the house, the friendly atmosphere, most of the time, among mothers, their babies and other volunteers and their kindness. And the generosity and good-heartedness of caretakers and psychologist Maruja, for me the real 'soul' of the house. A lesson for us to learn in our daily routine and comfortable lives in the Western world.
The house was well organised and we received perfect support from Máximo Nivel. In particular, Tanja's involvement was a great help and made our work there much easier and nicer. I liked her discrete and 'elegant' attitude.
The general introductions given by the local organisation (Máximo Nivel) were informative and useful; however there was some degree of repetition in the information in the safety and programme introductions. Also I noticed the information (about Peruvian culture, the programme, etc.) is mainly given from a US perspective, not considering other possible origins among volunteers (European, non-English native, etc.).
At the house I found that the volunteer planning could have been better organised. Depending on the day and week, at times, there were too many volunteers (among those who lived at the house and others, like us, who came from another organisation), outnumbering the babies (7). In my opinion, a better planning and knowing in advance the characteristics of the volunteers at the house would result in a more efficient help for the mothers and babies.
I would definitely recommend the international and local organisations (IVHQ and Máximo Nivel) and this programme as a reliable and well-organised one and guaranteeing a special and rewarding personal experience.

Transformative Experience in Cusco, Peru

Our group of Counseling students worked in two placements (an orphanage and a shelter for girls) in Cusco, Peru for two weeks and the experience was truly transformative. The staff at Maximo (particularly Chelsey Rickert, the volunteer coordinator assigned to our group) took care of all the details so our group of students could fully concentrate on working with the girls. The placements, themselves, were a perfect match for our group and it was evident that Chelsey had taken great care to provide us with the best experience possible. Our homestay host was very warm and welcoming and we felt comfortable from the moment we arrived. The city of Cusco is an amazing place and we had ample time to explore, in addition to a weekend trip to Macchu Pichu. Maximo Nivel is a highly professional organization and we will continue to work with them on future trips.

Policia de familia

I was volunteering at Policia de familia. Some days were extremely emotionally draining but those were the days where by the time you left you felt like you made a a real impact on the kids lives you were working with. It wasn't always easy but I wouldn't change any of it and it really puts things into perspective. Not only do you learn from the kids you get a chance to work with, you also learn from your fellow volunteers. I met so many good people that I wouldn't of crossed paths with otherwise. Overall I loved working with Maximo and highly recommend them to anyone looking to volunteer abroad!

The Diversity of Culture, yet Universal Challenges Children Face

I had a great time volunteering at the Boy's Orphanage in Cuzco Peru. The program was set up perfect the boy's looked forward to having interaction with the volunteers. My time spent was well worth it I have many fond memories of the people and places. These young boys face tough challenges and just to be able to meet them and talk to them and give a little guidance was great for me and I think helpful to them. It is a shame in today's world so many children don't have the support that many people take for granite. It is great to have a opportunity to give the International support.