TEFL Certification in Guatemala—Teach in Latin America!
MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

TEFL Certification in Guatemala—Teach in Latin America!

Fabulous Experience

I really wasn't expecting such a thorough, professional, enjoyable month of learning how to become a TEFL Teacher. From the get go, Karen our TEFL instructor, guided us through every step, from simple 20-minute lessons to one week of hour long teaching. Although the course is fast paced, every minute has been thoroughly thought out to be effective, productive, manageable, and doable. I cannot say enough good things about this course, the personnel at Maximo Nivel, the students, the ESL teachers, and the administration have all been supportive, helpful, gracious, and most of all you feel part of a Global family. By-the-way, this course is not just for 20 somethings! So if you are between 19-99 years old, think about being an ESL teacher here in Antigua, Guatemala. You will not be disappointed. Paz y gozo!

Strong program, great experience

I studied at Maximo Nivel at the end of 2012 and then went on to get a Masters in TESOL. I was impressed after all of my grad school training/ theory at just how well Maximo Nivel's program holds up to best practices in the field. I look back on this experience fondly and miss beautiful Antigua and the friendships that were formed during this intensive but fun-filled month of study.

Karen Wilke is really an exceptional teacher trainer. She not only teaches you how to teach, she models it perfectly in the classroom. Paired with a strong language learning philosophy, this makes for an excellent program that I would highly recommend to anyone.

A great experience

Maximo Nivel Guatemala Is well worth your time and money. The teachers and support staff are incredible. The teachers know their craft well and will work to tailor their message to your learning style. You will learn and improve if you choose to enroll at Maximo Nivel Guatemala. The staff takes an immediate vested interest in you as they genuinely want to ensure your experience at the school is a positive one. Seriously. They care about you and do all they can to help you grow into teaching.

Excellent program

I went through the TEFL course as a hybrid student. This was the perfect option for me due to cost and time issues, and was one of the reasons I chose the program. It was great to have the flexibility of an online course, but still have the classroom experience that I needed.

Karen was a fantastic teacher and had so much energy! You can tell that she truly loves her work and her students.

Antigua itself is beyond beautiful. I began to feel at home there after just a few days. If you can, plan to spend some time there after the program.

• Course Instructor

Amazing time and amazing team!

During my TEFL course I was blessed to have met an amazing group of people. The staff at Máximo Nivel were part of that amazing group, they were always friendly and supportive. It felt nice to walk into a place where you were welcomed with a nice big smile. The best part of the course was Karen Wilke, my TEFL trainer. From day one, her energy was motivating. She was always willing and able to share her knowledge. She took the time to explain each lesson. This course would not have been the same without her. Thank you Karen and Máximo Nivel, I learned so much and as I head to work each morning I know I am a better teacher because I was trained by the best.

Incredible experience

I am not your typical TEFL-er. I am not in my 20's . I am not looking for a job to allow me to travel the world. Rather I am a retired anesthesiologist. In our community of Morristown New Jersey there is a tremendous need for someone to teach English to the many immigrants, so they can become productive citizens in their new country. Karen Wilke and Sarah were outstanding teachers. The course was packed with essential tools so that we could start teaching immediately upon completion of the course.. The key for me was that I was taught a method of teaching.and then was provided with ample opportunity to practice these techniques with actual students. A review of English Grammar was surprisingly essential!! As native speakers we give little thought to why we speak as we do. The Maximo Nivel organization provided great support and of course living for a month is Antigua, Guatemala in the winter was its own reward. Many students looking for jobs were hired on the spot I can not think of a better use for a month in your life.

• Course Instructor

Highly recommend studying in Antigua!

I never expected I would fall in love with both Antigua and teaching in such a short time. When I got to Antigua, I was surprised by how small it was and asked myself: What am I going to do here for a whole month? But here I am, more that an month later and not wanting to leave. The colourful houses, wide variety of restaurants and the volcanoes surrounding the city keep every walk interesting. The warm smiles and big hearts of the people here make you feel so welcome.
Maximo Nivel is an amazing instituut and their staff is just amazing. Within a week they knew all our names. If we ever needed something at seven in the morning or at seven at night, they would be there to greet us with a smile. Karen is an amazing and energetic teacher. She and Sarah have been full of help, ideas, inspiration and fun!
The course is very intense, but very interesting. I never expected to learn so much in only a month. These skills can be applied in every country and with every language. The week of teaching gave me an idea of how much fun teaching can be!

Absolutely amazing!

I just finished the TEFL course in Antigua Guatemala and I truly recommend it! I never thought I could learn so much in 4 weeks. The teachers and the staff here are amazing and supportive. It has been a great experience!

• Course Instructor

Best TEFL experience ever!!

From the moment I chatted on the phone with Maximo Nivel's support team I knew that I was choosing the best place for my TEFL certification. Having had visited Antigua many times before, I was sure that Guatemala was the best location for me. I can honestly say that Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations. The teachers, Karen and Sarah are beyond helpful, extremely educated in TEFL and more than anything, they want to see their students succeed!! Also, the support staff, administration, and my wonderful classmates made my experience spectacular. I will recommend Maximo Nivel forever!

AMAZING!!

The Tefl program at Maximo Nivel Guatemala is just fantastic!

Karen my teacher was amazing, she made this whole experience go to another level. She has vast knowledge of the english language and tons of years of experience teaching. I was blessed to learn from a master.

The program is so well balanced and organized. They take you step by step to show you the methodology and give tons of opportunities to put it into practice. You get to experience live teaching, (which is the best part of the program) because that is where all the learnings sink in and make sense.

We got tons of support from our teacher, her assistant and all the Maximo Nivel staff. They were there to help us in any way they could and to see us succeed.

Living in Antigua is wonderful, its a small colonial town. Easy to move around, you can get walking everywhere. There are tons of cute stores, cafes and cool places to eat out (plus there some cool bars and clubs as well).

I truly recommend Maximo Nivel and Antigua for your Tefl certification. You will have a life changing experience, plus meet tons of cool people and make new friends.

I lived it!

I loved this program. All of the staff at Maximo Nivel are amazing individuals who care about their clientele. The teachers were also very invested in creating a fun environment that was conducive to learning. There was never a dull day. I feel that this program gave me a great foundation for teaching and the necessary tools to be successful. I am excited to begin my journey as a teacher!

Amazeballs!

This course and place exceeded all my expectations! From the amazing and helpful office staff to the TEFL trainers themselves, this experience has been fantastic.
The material was thorough and well presented. I was in a large group of trainees but we all received personalized attention when we needed it. From theory to lesson planning to practical teaching, help was available. The trainers are supportive and encouraging. I cannot say enough about the quality of the teachers.
The highlight of my experience was having a class of my own for a week. Nothing sinks those lessons home like doing! I loved my experience here in Guatemala and would recommend this school and course to anyone considering a TEFL career.

AMAZING

If you want to get TEFL certified, which you should, you need to go to Antigua Guatemala to do it! Guatemala is a beautiful country with very loving people. The teachers at Maximo Nivel are seriously so much fun and just want you to succeed. You will never feel unsafe in Guatemala because Maximo puts you in a wonderful host home. This program was the best education decision of my life and I highly recommend it!!

• Course Instructor

GET TO THE MAXIMUM LEVEL IN ANTIGUA!

Prepare to get everything you could possibly want out of a TEFL certification, in a most beautiful and colorful city with the most beautiful and colorful people. I woke up each morning in my homestay with the hilarious and kind Wendy and Paco; walked down 6ta Avenida each day to Maximo past beautiful churches and brilliantly colored homes; admired how the earth turns up to dominate the skyline, how the towering dormant Volcan Agua frames every southern view. Upon entering Maximo, every staff member -- and I mean every -- greeted me with a genuine smile and helpful attitude. Karen has such passion for what she does with us, the Knights of the TEFLar as we became, and Sarah has been an indispensable resource throughout every part of the course. I am very glad I had the opportunity to do practical teaching here, the feedback Ive received has truly helped me grow as a teacher. Colin is a fantastic manager who bends over backwards to make himself available to us as students and to promote us as teachers. I have only positive things to say about my experience here. I feel prepared and excited for the next stage of my teaching journey. Thanks guys!

The best TEFL program in Guatemala

I took TEFL in Antigua, Guatemala with Maximo Nivel and couldn't have asked for a better course. All of Maximo's staff were very friendly and helpful. They go above and beyond to help you with whatever you need. Even if that means housing or recommendations for places to eat. The course was thorough but so much fun! Also, it would have never been the same without Karen--my TEFL instructor. She is truly an amazing women. She makes TEFL fun and is ALWAYS there for help and proving resources. She has been teaching for years and has done quite a lot of travel. She is very kind, caring, funny, inspiring and now a friend for life. If you take TEFL at Maximo you will not be disappointed.

• Course Instructor

Highly recommend this program!

Maximo Nivel is organized and well run, Karen (the TEFL trainer) is an amazing teacher, and Antigua is a beautiful city with lots to do!

I would recommend this program to anyone considering getting a TEFL certification!

Texas boy goes to Guatemala

I left my job selling running shoes and jumped on a plane for Antigua Guatemala a couple of months ago. My reasons for "taking the plunge" was to learn Spanish and experience a different way of life. I chose Guatemala merely because it was close to home and the flights were cheaper. I had zero teaching experience and, to be honest, had no real dreams of becoming a teacher. I signed up for Maximo Nivel's 4 week TEFL certification in Antigua Guatemala. I was immediately impressed with the facilities. It was was well organized, clean, and safe. However, the class itself was what left the biggest impression upon me. Karen, our TEFL instructor, was very passionate about teaching us. Her enthusiasm was quite contagious. On the first day of the course I realized that I had stumbled upon something very special. Karen took us from the very basics of teaching English all the way to the end. By the end of the 4 weeks I was confident in my abilities to teach any level of English. I am so thankful to have discovered this organization. Karen is a very compassionate person and she has a keen awareness of every individuals strengths. I struggled with teaching the specifics of english grammar. Karen identified this weakness and gave me the tools and the confidence to overcome. I am currently living in Medellin Colombia and I have several options for teaching positions. Thanks To Karen and the other staff members at Maximo Nivel, I can travel the world and effectively teach English wherever I may find myself. Cheers!

Excellent course

My TEFL experience with Maximo was perfect. I would recommend it to anyone interested in studying TEFL. My teacher was remarkable and I feel lucky to have been her student. The location is safe, friendly and beautiful with all kinds of things to do in your spare time. Everyone I met involved with Maximo was extremely kind and helpful, even the students. Maximo was an excellent choice.

• Course Instructor

Amazing TEFL Program in Antigua!

I came into this program with a lot of previous teaching experience but I was still able to learn so much about myself as a teacher and teaching English as a Second Language. The program at Maximo Nivel is fun, exciting, practical, and inspiring. The trainer, Karen, is an incredible teacher and friend. Her enthusiasm has rubbed off on me! The support from other staff at Maximo Nivel is great. There is no question that you will feel loved and cared for.
The program is challenging but not overwhelming. It is fun but still serious. It takes place in an amazing city and you will definitely meet some amazing people. You'll be able to gain a lot of experience teaching classes through mini lessons and practical teaching week.
I just finished the program and I already have 2 jobs here in Antigua, so I can guarantee that you will not have a problem finding a job either!

• Course Instructor

Amazing TEFL program in Antigua!

• Course Instructor

TEFL course in Antigua, Guatemala. Do it!

Everyone at Maximo Nivel is so dedicated and passionate about what they're doing. Cannot thank Karen, our mentor, enough! The TEFL course is structured so well and provides great practical teaching experience as well. What a location to take the course as well! Antigua is a beautiful city with beautiful people. Once you're here and experience it for yourself, you'll fall in love! You'll meet so many wonderful people along the way too.This really is an opportunity of lifetime!

This program rocks!

I absolutely fell in love with this city. Such a beautiful culture, so many beautiful buildings, so close to so many amazing locations. You're literally surrounded by volcanoes. It's awesome in every sense of the word. And the program - incredibly practical, very hands-on, the best education one could ask for, from the very best TEFL trainer 'round these parts. Shout out to Karen!!!!!!!!! There is no doubt in anyone's mind that the people working at this facility absolutely love love love their jobs. Everyone is more than happy to help, whether it be setting up a shuttle to the airport, connecting you with native Spanish classes, or answering any questions you might have. This program rocks. I highly recommend it.

Kudos to Karen! Maximo Nivel Course -Aug-Sep, 2016

A special kudos to Karen of course, without whom we would not have come so far. The constant encouragement and optimism was a welcome message through an otherwise harrowing grammar week. She constantly pushed and 'pulled' us each in the direction she knew we could achieve. The path was not always the one of least resistance, but for sure it was the right one to travel down. If anyone is deciding whether or not to take the course, just look at the comparisons. I truly believe this is the best and most practical course to take. Lifetime job finding assistance! Thanks for reading! Hope to see you out there!

• Course Instructor

Antigua is the place to be!

I completed my TEFL course at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala and I could not be more satisfied with my choice. Having never even heard of Guatemala I did not know what to expect, Antigua is a beautiful place with cobbled streets, gorgeous buildings and the happiest people I have ever encountered. There isn't a day I can't recall walking down the streets from my home stay to Maximo without seeing a smiling face or being greeted warmly. As for Maximo I can't praise the staff enough for the help while being in Antigua, whether it was to do with the course or what I should do in my spare time they were more than happy to help. Karen Wilke was my TEFL trainer while at Maximo Nivel and she is an amazing woman with a huge passion for education that she passed onto all of my peers on the course, the topics were covered in detail but that didn't mean the lessons were boring, they were far from it, from learning on the terrace of the Maximo building with the view of the Volcanoes in the background to getting up out of our seats and dancing the classes were full of laughter and learning! The practical teaching week was definitely the highlight of the course for me with great feedback and support provided for every lesson. I can't thank Karen and the Maximo Nivel staff for making my experience of Guatemala an amazing one!

• Course Instructor

Best learning experience ever!

Having not been in a classroom for more than 40 years I was initially skeptical about joining this TEFL program. My wife and I both signed up with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, a place that we were both very familiar with. I took me about one day in class to get drawn into your instructor's enthusiasm. Karen is able to pull in even the most introvert students; her energy is amazing and it really shows that she loves her job. Needless to say that both my wife and I were delighted to receive the certificate at the end of the month. It is hard work and there's not much else we could do during this time, other than studying. Antigua is a great place to spend your time and we highly recommend the school and the city to any future students.
In addition to the more than excellent teaching by Karen Maximo Nivel's support staff is fantastic; they are there any time you'd need them and they regularly checked in with the class during that month.