TEFL Certification in Guatemala—Teach in Latin America!
MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

TEFL Certification in Guatemala—Teach in Latin America!

• Course Instructor

Can’t imagine doing my TEFL anywhere else

Wow is all I can say. Maximo Nivel did everything they could to make my experience great. They truly cared about student satisfaction. My host family was amazing and Antigua/Guatemala are hidden gems. I honestly came to Guatemala because it was cheapest and fell in love.

As for the TEFL course itself, it is definitely a challenging college level course. However, I felt like I had tons of support with the course instructor. She made every step of learning obvious so that it could be learned and learned well. I felt as if Maximo Nivel didn’t want to create subpar teachers. Overall it was a demanding experience but I’m glad I ended up choosing Maximo Nivel and Antigua.

Amazing TEFL Experience!

As I sit and wait for my connecting flight home, I'm already missing my classmates, my TEFL instructor and the experience of a lifetime I had getting TEFL certified!
I took my TEFL course at Maximo in Antigua, and it has been the best decision I've made to start my year off. It was informative, challenging, fun and enlightening. The connections I've made with my peers, the students I taught, as well as our awesome TEFL instructor will last a lifetime. Even though I decided not to use my TEFL certification to begin teaching right away, Karen (my instructor) has equipped me with the knowledge and confidence that I'll need to teach when I decide I am ready. Thank you for everything Karen, Maximo Nivel and my fellow TEFL knights!!!

Amazing experience!!!

I just graduated from the TEFL course in Antigua, Guatemala two days ago and it was the most incredible experience! Karen Wilke was the best teacher I have ever had and everyone in my class were awesome. It was a lot of work but so rewarding and definitely worth it. Would reccommend it to anyone, spent some beautiful moments with my crew and learnt many life lessons. TEFL rocks!!

• Course Instructor

Karen and Maximo are wonderful!

Maximo has been quite the experience for me. I took the TEFL course in Antigua Guatemala For starters the teacher (Karen) that led my group was amazing!!! Caring, patient, and extremely knowlendgable! She was there every single step of the way offering a helping hand, and giving great realistic advice. She's been doing this a long time and she still loves it. You can tell. She genuinely cares about her students and their futures. Aside from her the staff at Maximo is very helpful as well. They offer their time and resources for all of the students and staff. I loved my experience with Maximo and can proudly say I will be working for them starting in February!

• Course Instructor

What a fantastic experience.

What a unique collection of people you find yourself surrounded by in an environment like this. La profesora Karen has to be the backbone of this incredibly well oiled machine. She has enough energy to power a small town, I dare say. It's obviously more economic completing the course online, but the people and lessons that you have the opportunity to take away are so worth just getting amongst it and doing it in person.

Amazing experience

I am so glad that I chose to earn my TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua. Maximo staff are all great and helpful, the school facilities are excellent, and the location is amazing. The TEFL instructor, Karen, is such an incredible person. The course will challenge and inspire you, and you'll see yourself and your TEFL classmates grow every day. The last week of the course is practical teaching, which is an incredible experience and something that no online TEFL course could match. I can't speak highly enough of this program.

Who knew?!

Who knew that taking a 4-week intensive course learning how to teach English could be one of the most fun, entertaining, enlightening, fulfilling experiences you could have?! Oh yes it was challenging, nay exhausting, at times, but the hard work pays off and the drained energy is replenished ten-fold when you hold that certificate in your hand and actually start to teach in a real class room - it's exhilarating! Maximo Nivel has your back every step of the way, helping with daily practicalities: homestay organising, country advice, tours and cultural trips and the provision of study areas with PCs, research information, teaching aids and complimentary tea, coffee and water. I took my course in their Guatemala school (La Antigua) and the staff and teachers could not be more helpful, or cheerful!! In particular, our skilled and passionate TEFL trainer, Karen Wilke, who never lacked enthusiasm or creativity, providing guidance tailored to your specific learning style and endless support and advice on techniques and teaching resources to make this one of the most organised and inspirational courses I have experienced. You also get to meet some of the most incredible people in Antigua and your fellow TEFL students become your family who assist and encourage you throughout the studying weeks. You get so much more than an international TEFL qualification - you get life skills and precious contacts that will serve you forever!

Beyond expectations

From the greeting to the graduation Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations by all means. The program content was concise and the staff are such a well prepared and dedicated people! Highly recommended.

Knights of TEFLer

Since day one this course was amazing. Teaching methodology and teaching techniques and tips are learned in this 4 weeks intense course in Antigua. Definitely a great choice to start the adventure of teaching abroad. Karen, the trainer was super supportive and ready to ask everyone's questions and doubts. 10/10.

Most inspiring teacher

I graduated from the Maximo Nivel TEFL training last week, and am eager to comment on the high quality of my teacher. Karen Wilke is by far, the most inspiring teacher I have ever had. She has a wealth of knowledge, and the ability to share it in a way that’s quickly understood (and fun).

In addition to that, Karen’s feedback on my Practical Teaching was incredibly valuable. She assessed my strengths, and gave me concrete goals to work towards.

After being coached by Karen, I feel very equipped to teach. And for that, I am sincerely grateful!

- Matt Smeltzer

Great TEFL- course!

The TEFL- course has been an enriching experience. I am so surprised how much we learned in just 4 weeks time. This all thanks to our great TEFL- instructor Karen. She was the most amazing, lovely, energetic and encouraging instructor. Simply the best teacher that I ever had. The course was intense, but so rewarding. The students at Maximo Nivel were so nice and every class was truly fun. I totally recommend this course! Just go for it!

Life changer

This has been one of the best experiences of my life and it's still going.
Everyone at Maximo Nivel were not olny helpful but amazingly supportive.
I can't thank the guys at Maximo enough.
And Karen the tefl trainer is outstanding.

Great decision!

Maximo Nivel's TEFL program far exceeded my expectations. The program was super well organized and executed. I don't think I have ever learned so much in such a short period of time. Karen was an incredible instructor. She had great energy, amazing preparation, lots of love and constant support and encouragement. Karen was highly knowledgeable and exemplified all of what she was teaching us in her own teaching style. I also can't say enough about how lovely Antigua is and Guatemala as a whole. I can't wait to come back someday!

Dream come true!

It was a dream of mine to become TEFL certified and to teach abroad for seven years. It took me a very long time to finally decide to do it, and a friend of mine told me about the training she had just gone through at Maximo Nivel; she said the course was very valuable and that the instructor was amazing. So I signed up at Maximo Nivel in La Antigua, Guatemala, and she was so right! I am thankful that I chose Maximo Nivel as my training facility. The four weeks of training were incredibly valuable and taught me so much. Karen is an incredible instructor, she excels at what she does and she is passionate about it! She brought so much energy and life to the class, she made us laugh so much, and she thoroughly prepared us for our new careers! Also, I chose the best country to receive my certification! Guatemala is beautiful and there is so much you can see and do here! Antigua is so beautiful with its colonial architecture and its scenic views of the surrounding volcanoes. Thank you Maximo Nivel and staff for helping my dream come true!

One word... Awesome

Such a great experience. The environment is so awesome. I learned so much and I am already a certified teacher before I came here. You cannot beat the location or the experience. Karen is an absolutely amazing Instructor. Her energy and love for teaching is contagious. Thomas is the steady headed Director who made you feel at home and comfortable being here. You will leave here with so much knowledge and with an appreciation for the mission here...to HELP. Absolutely recommend this for those who have the fire in their heart to help others and to teach...and hey, it doesn't hurt that the pace is located in one of the most beautiful towns in the world....and in one of the beautiful countries of the world!

Fabulous experience

I really wasn't expecting such a thorough, professional, enjoyable month of learning how to become a TEFL Teacher. From the get go, Karen our TEFL instructor, guided us through every step, from simple 20-minute lessons to one week of hour long teaching. Although the course is fast paced, every minute has been thoroughly thought out to be effective, productive, manageable, and doable. I cannot say enough good things about this course, the personnel at Maximo Nivel, the students, the ESL teachers, and the administration have all been supportive, helpful, gracious, and most of all you feel part of a Global family. By-the-way, this course is not just for 20 somethings! So if you are between 19-99 years old, think about being an ESL teacher here in Antigua, Guatemala. You will not be disappointed. Paz y gozo!

TEFL certification

Studying at Maximo Nivel was a fantastic experience. The TEFL certification course was excellent. A great combination of book studying and practical experience. The teacher was fantastic - very knowledgeable and created a great environment in the class. The course equipped me well to teach only a couple weeks after finishing the course. I would highly recommend this school and course.

Strong program, great experience

I studied at Maximo Nivel at the end of 2012 and then went on to get a Masters in TESOL. I was impressed after all of my grad school training/ theory at just how well Maximo Nivel's program holds up to best practices in the field. I look back on this experience fondly and miss beautiful Antigua and the friendships that were formed during this intensive but fun-filled month of study.

Karen Wilke is really an exceptional teacher trainer. She not only teaches you how to teach, she models it perfectly in the classroom. Paired with a strong language learning philosophy, this makes for an excellent program that I would highly recommend to anyone.

A great experience

Maximo Nivel Guatemala Is well worth your time and money. The teachers and support staff are incredible. The teachers know their craft well and will work to tailor their message to your learning style. You will learn and improve if you choose to enroll at Maximo Nivel Guatemala. The staff takes an immediate vested interest in you as they genuinely want to ensure your experience at the school is a positive one. Seriously. They care about you and do all they can to help you grow into teaching.

Excellent program

I went through the TEFL course as a hybrid student. This was the perfect option for me due to cost and time issues, and was one of the reasons I chose the program. It was great to have the flexibility of an online course, but still have the classroom experience that I needed.

Karen was a fantastic teacher and had so much energy! You can tell that she truly loves her work and her students.

Antigua itself is beyond beautiful. I began to feel at home there after just a few days. If you can, plan to spend some time there after the program.

• Course Instructor

Amazing time and amazing team!

During my TEFL course I was blessed to have met an amazing group of people. The staff at Máximo Nivel were part of that amazing group, they were always friendly and supportive. It felt nice to walk into a place where you were welcomed with a nice big smile. The best part of the course was Karen Wilke, my TEFL trainer. From day one, her energy was motivating. She was always willing and able to share her knowledge. She took the time to explain each lesson. This course would not have been the same without her. Thank you Karen and Máximo Nivel, I learned so much and as I head to work each morning I know I am a better teacher because I was trained by the best.

TEFL certification at Maximo Nivel

I had an incredible time at Maximo Nivel with all of the students, teachers, and staff. It takes a certain kind of person to drop what they are doing and travel abroad for English teaching certification. The class was full of loving, articulate members and we all got the full experience. The teachers Karen and Sarah are among the best. They know exactly how to run the classroom, demonstrate, and make us learn the proper steps for teaching abroad!

Incredible experience

I am not your typical TEFL-er. I am not in my 20's . I am not looking for a job to allow me to travel the world. Rather I am a retired anesthesiologist. In our community of Morristown New Jersey there is a tremendous need for someone to teach English to the many immigrants, so they can become productive citizens in their new country. Karen Wilke and Sarah were outstanding teachers. The course was packed with essential tools so that we could start teaching immediately upon completion of the course.. The key for me was that I was taught a method of teaching.and then was provided with ample opportunity to practice these techniques with actual students. A review of English Grammar was surprisingly essential!! As native speakers we give little thought to why we speak as we do. The Maximo Nivel organization provided great support and of course living for a month is Antigua, Guatemala in the winter was its own reward. Many students looking for jobs were hired on the spot I can not think of a better use for a month in your life.

• Course Instructor

Highly recommend studying in Antigua!

I never expected I would fall in love with both Antigua and teaching in such a short time. When I got to Antigua, I was surprised by how small it was and asked myself: What am I going to do here for a whole month? But here I am, more that an month later and not wanting to leave. The colourful houses, wide variety of restaurants and the volcanoes surrounding the city keep every walk interesting. The warm smiles and big hearts of the people here make you feel so welcome.
Maximo Nivel is an amazing instituut and their staff is just amazing. Within a week they knew all our names. If we ever needed something at seven in the morning or at seven at night, they would be there to greet us with a smile. Karen is an amazing and energetic teacher. She and Sarah have been full of help, ideas, inspiration and fun!
The course is very intense, but very interesting. I never expected to learn so much in only a month. These skills can be applied in every country and with every language. The week of teaching gave me an idea of how much fun teaching can be!

Absolutely amazing!

I just finished the TEFL course in Antigua Guatemala and I truly recommend it! I never thought I could learn so much in 4 weeks. The teachers and the staff here are amazing and supportive. It has been a great experience!