Volunteer with Local NGOs in Cambodia

Volunteer with Local NGOs in Cambodia

Memorable! NGO work, Cambodia

My experience with IVHQ was simply great! As this was my first time volunteering I took some time to research upfront, and I didn´t regret my choice. I would volunteer with IVHQ again without a doubt.
Communication and guidance upfront was helpful and clear; there is a great in-country support from landing until departure; and the placements are overall meaningful. I´ve chosen to work with an NGO in Cambodia, and was lucky enough to be placed in Siem Reap. Apart from a vibrant city, I found a very well-kept volunteer house, a very supportive in-house team, a great group of volunteers, and was close enough to the city centre to go walking or cycling to the placement.
What was helpful to me: Preparing by reading IVHQ advise/training upfront, having adjusted expectations (its volunteer work in an undeveloped country), bringing an open mind and be willing to adapt.
This was by far one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of all my travelling to date! I definitely recommend it.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 22, 2018 at 10:46 PM

Hi Teresa, thanks for your feedback! It's wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed Siem Reap and spending time with the other volunteers. I'm sure the work you did at you placement was much appreciated by the staff. Thanks again for volunteering with IVHQ. ^Sam - IVHQ Cambodia Program Manager

Amazing Experience! JUST GO FOR IT!

I spent 5 weeks working with an NGO in Cambodia and it was, hands down, the best experience of my life!! From the moment I first applied, IVHQ made sure to provide me with all the information I would need to prepare for my trip, were very quick in responding to my inquiries, and just provided me with continuous support all the time. It was no different once I arrived in Cambodia! The local staff there were very organized, friendly, supportive, helpful, and made sure that they tried their best in making us feel right at home and they sure did succeed! I even had to get my knee stitched at some point and they came with me all the way to the hospital and helped me with all the necessary procedures. While working with the NGO, I truly felt that I was needed there and that they appreciated everything I was doing. This eye-opening experience triggered so many things in me and made me even more keen on working in the development sector later on! The accommodation provided at the volunteer house was excellent. The general atmosphere was amazing, the people I met there were all amazing! I had a blast and I wouldn't have minded staying longer. Actually, I wish I had stayed longer!! I learnt so much during my volunteering experience and I could confidently say that this trip really did change me! Don't hesitate and go for it! Cambodia is an amazing country and I definitely will be traveling with IVHQ again in the future!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Hi Rauda, 'don't hesitate' well said, we couldn't agree with your more! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time volunteering in Cambodia and that both in the lead up to your trip and while in country you were fully supported by IVHQ and our local team. It sounds like you had a truly memorable trip and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.