Affordable Childcare Volunteering in Cambodia

Affordable Childcare Volunteering in Cambodia

Childcare in Siem Reap

I have recently finished a 3 week program with IVHQ in Siem Reap, Cambodia. This experience was more than I could have ever imagined. For starters, the organization and local staff were extremely helpful and welcoming. They provided us with a clean and safe living environment in the volunteer house. Living with 13 other volunteers was a beautiful way to meet like-minded people from around the world and build lasting friendships. The childcare facility that we were working with was a lovely short bike ride from our home. Each morning we were greeted by the excited, smiling children when we arrived. there was no better feeling that that. The children were always to excited to see us, and being with them, and being able to teach them a few things, was an amazing feeling. The nuns that we were working alongside inspired me to be a better person and to want to lead a more humble life. They were amazing with the children and so thankful that we were there.
If you have the opportunity to take a few weeks out of your life and donate them to others, I would strongly suggest it. The experience will be so meaningful to you, and those that you help.

Best decision of my life

Cambodia was a complete shot in the dark for me, and I am so happy to say that it was also the best thing that ever happened to me. From the locals, to the other volunteers, to the IVHQ weekends, to my placement, to the accommodation, everything was unbelievably amazing. I was placed in New Hope for Orphans in Siem Reap and I can't wait to go back again. Everyday at placement was different and I keep so many great memories. Cambodia changed my life in a way that I will always be thankful for and I really help that other people will give Cambodia the same chance I did. If you want to do an affordable IVHQ program and have an unforgettable experience, Cambodia is the place for you! If you've been thinking about doing something like this, the best advise I can give you is: just go for it!

Expect the unexpected

I volunteered in Siem Reap, Cambodia for 3 weeks teaching english.
The accommodation was excellent, the food was good and the staff was so friendly. They really tried to make your stay as good as possible and if you had the slightest issue they tried to help you. The kids outside the volunteer house were really cute. We played soccer with them every once in a while. Even though they didn't speak english, we had fun together and they were just the cutest.
We even had our private tuktuk-drivers and they picked you up from anywhere within 10 minutes!
My placement was really good too. Teaching wasn't always easy, but a good challenge and every day it got better. The kids were lovely and it was really sad to leave them. The staff and teachers were really kind to the other volunteers and me and on our last day they took us to the local market and showed us around where they lived, that was really interesting!
On the weekends we did day trips to different sights around Siem Reap with the other volunteers. We all got along really well and had lots of fun. On weekdays we sometimes went out to town and had a drink or just a stroll around.
I didn't know what to expect but I surely wasn't disappointed. It is a once in a lifetime experience and you learn so much out of it. Would do it again anytime!

An unforgettable experience

I had always wanted to volunteer in Cambodia and had planned to do so after completing my university degree, however one night talking about it with family made me stop and think about why should I wait when I could go now? The next 7 months were a crazy journey preparing for the trip of a lifetime! To say this experience was life changing would be an understatement. I lived with the most beautiful, happy and warm host family who provided us with beautiful accommodation and meals everyday. I was placed at LRDE (Le Restaurant De Enfant) and loved every single minute of it. In 3 weeks I was able to make an impact in my placement and build relationships and develop the children's skills as they were all so eager to learn. I learned so much about their culture, and feel so lucky to have been welcomed in to experience it all. I met so many incredible people along the way and have come back to Australia ready to save and do it all over again!

Volunteer childcare placement in Cambodia

The overall experience was amazing. I felt like I was really immersed in the culture and I managed to make close friends with some locals there. The accommodation was great but the food was a bit bland. It was a family home so I respect that they have opened up their home to us. Maybe just a variety of food choices and have the ability to help cook our meals would be great.