Volunteer in Eco-Agriculture Conservation in Guatemala

Volunteer in Eco-Agriculture Conservation in Guatemala

Eco-agricultural conservation

Working with De La Gente, a coffee cooperative in Guatemala that seeks to facilitate direct trade relationships with local coffee farmers in Antigua (among other cities) was an incredible experience. I learned so much in just two weeks, from Spanish, in speaking to the farmers, to so many details of the coffee process that I never knew existed. I have a new found respect for the entire process, and especially the individuals and families who devote their lives to providing the more fortunate populations with delicious, high-quality coffee. There are no words - in any language that I know - to describe how highly I valued my time in Guatemala volunteering, from the other volunteers I met, to the farmers, to the people working in the cooperative, everyone was so passionate about their jobs, and about coffee. It sparked a curiosity and a dedication in everyone around them, and has inspired me to continue learning about the coffee industry and fighting for fair pay for the farmers. An incredible, jam packed two weeks; if you're prepared to hike up a volcano and get a little dusty, you won't regret this!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 27, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Hi Heather, Thanks for your great review of the Guatemala Eco-Agriculture program! We are stoked to hear that you had an incredible, jam-packed and hugely beneficial experience working with De La Gente. Thanks for continuing the fight for fair pay for coffee farmers and for being an awesome volunteer!
    Lachlan – IVHQ Guatemala Program Manager