Volunteer in Construction and Renovation in Ghana

Eye opening

I am a full time student in university so only was able to volunteer for a week due to exams, but it was the most eye opening week of my life. Not only did I get to do what I signed up for (construction and renovation) I was able to meet new people from all around the world, be truly engaged and emerged in the lifestyle of locals and learn more about myself during it all. One thing I took back with me is that life is what you make it. Observing the locals I lived with that don't have much be so happy really stuck out to me. I realized a positive mentality can go a long way and produce a happy life. This experience also help to realize my purpose which is to help people. I study Law in university, but after this experience i really wan't to use this law degree to really make a difference. So instead of leaning towards being a commercial lawyer I want to be a Human rights Lawyer, or an Immigration Lawyer. Before going to Ghana I was very weary on how I would adapt, whether I would feel lonely or not or if I would just enjoy the experiencing. Upon arrival and being picked up those worries went away. All the staff members are so nice and make you feel so welcomes which makes such a difference. So much more I can say, but I'll just finished with this. By watching the news you may think you understand how the world is or what people are going through, but actually being there, living it is an experience that could change your life and is like no other.

Culture diving :)

I spent 2 months at the Gold Program and I couldn't have asked for a better placement! Everything is very basic, no running water, bucket showers, hardly any reception but I truly loved it! And the work was fun too, exhausting sometimes but always rewarding. I feel like I learned for a lifetime in Ghana, not only how to use a shovel or carry water on my head but also to be patient (public transport!:D) and to appreciate all the little things. It was the perfect combination of working and traveling and the local IVHQ staff was always happy to help with organizing accommodation, transport etc. when we went on weekend trips. Apart from that I met the most amazing people from all over the world, some of them definitely friends for life!
To everybody who reads this and is thinking about volunteering: DO IT and think outside the box, you'll never regret! :)

New perspective

Working with the IVHQ in Ghana gave me a new perspective on life. I had the privilege of working face to face with the natives. Additionally, we had the best time touring the different cities and experiencing everything Ghana has to offer

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Hi Jihad, Thanks for sharing. We are happy to hear that your volunteer experience gave you a new perspective of life and allowed you to experience everything Ghana has to offer. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
    Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Beautiful Ghana

I would say Ghana is the country of happiness. You become part of a huge family who looks after you and helps you whenever it's needed. Volunteer Corps Organization made me feel safe, the staff at the placement helped me so much and taught me everything about the culture (I'm happy to say that I almost felt like an Obibini (local) :D ) and the volunteers made my trip unforgettable. My favorite part of the day was the 30 minute walk through the small villages to the school we were working at, because the children would run up to us and ask us how we were and what our names were. That always put a smile on my face and gave me energy for the rest of the day. 3 weeks have passed since I had to say those hard goodbyes and there hasn't been a day that I haven't thought about Ghana. It will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you so much for giving me the chance to experience Ghana in the most beautiful way possible.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Hi Louise, Thanks for sharing such a nice review and welcome to the IVHQ family! We love that the favorite part of your Ghana trip was walking to your placement through the small villages each day, it sounds like you were living in the moment and really making the most of your time on the program. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.
    Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Amazing volunteer abroad experience in Ghana

I can't put words to how incredible it was to volunteer in Ghana. I never realized how big of an impact volunteering abroad would have on my life, but now that I've done it, I can't imagine my life without this experience. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to immerse myself into the Ghanaian culture and learn all about the different components of life firsthand. There is something truly beautiful and unique about this country and its people. The local team in Ghana (Evans, Benedict, etc.) is incredibly helpful and was always available to answer any questions you might have. There was never a time when I didn't feel safe or well taken care of. Every single aspect of my time spent in Ghana was incredible. I never realized how difficult it would be to leave at the end of my 5 weeks- it was really hard to say goodbye to the people who had become my second family. My biggest piece of advice for anyone thinking about volunteering here is to just do it and to stay as long as you can.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 24, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Hi Naomi, Thanks for your beautiful review! We are so glad to hear that you had the opportunity to immerse yourself in the Ghanaian culture and had an incredible volunteer experience. It is great that you felt safe on your program and well supported by our incredibly helpful local team. Thanks for your advice and for being an awesome IVHQ volunteer!

I was amazing!!!!

After volunteering in Ghana for 10 weeks I can easily say that it was the greatest time of my life. I didn't know what to expect going out there, but during my time I learnt so many things about the culture and myself (so yes I did 'find myself'). During my voluntary work I realised that the people you are with either make or break your experience, and I am so grateful for everyone I volunteered with because they truly made my experience a phenomenal one. I am so thankful for everything they did for me, and I cannot wait to see them soon.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 09, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Hi Giles, Thanks so much for sharing. We are thrilled to hear that you had the time of your life in Ghana. It sounds like you were surrounded by other amazing volunteers and it is nice to hear that you are planning to catch up with them again. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us in the future!
    Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Amazing

I volunteered in Ghana for 6 weeks and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The construction work is hard so I would only recommend it to people who are reasonably fit. When I was there we mainly worked on digging a hole at the local school for a pit toilet which will last 10+ years, so you really get a feel of helping the community. The program is very well organised and any issues you have when you are there are well listened to. Being able to mix with other volunteers from all over the world is a great experience and keeps the social life lively. You are also able to travel on the weekends so you can see more of Ghana! I would 100% recommend to anyone thinking of going, my advice would be to throw yourself into as much as possible because you won't regret it!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Hi Jacob, We are thrilled to hear that your 6 weeks in Ghana was one of the best experiences of your life! It’s amazing to think that the work you were involved in will last the local school for more than 10 years. We are glad that we could facilitate your trip and you certainly made the most of it by exploring Ghana in your free time, getting to know your IVHQ family, and getting stuck into the volunteer work. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to have you join IVHQ again in the future!

Construction in Ghana

The projects we worked on included digging a huge hole for a school's pit toilet with shovels and pickaxes, and plastering the walls of our compound which doubled as a childcare centre. Anyone wanting an adventure with lots of exercise should go! I had the time of my life.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 06, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Hi Liam, We are so glad that you have the time of your life in Ghana. Adventure and exercise – we could probably all do with a bit more of this . Thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer and we hope you will join us again in the future.

Experience of a lifetime

For years I'd wanted to volunteer in construction work abroad. Having read about Ghana, I soon realised it was a very beautiful, safe country with a rich history...I was certainly not wrong!

I'd never travelled alone and although the prospect of doing this was daunting, the programme staff made me feel at ease immediately.

During the weekdays we’d do plastering and make bricks. The beauty of this site was that we lived there and were able to interact with the local children, playing with them and helping them with homework. We were free to travel around at the weekends and often found ourselves heading to the beautiful beaches and dancing the nights away.

The members of the local community were so friendly and welcoming. The children loved collecting water with us and helping us do our laundry – there’s nothing quite like the smile on a child’s face and the sound of their laughter!

I made some amazing friends during my trip and learnt a lot about both myself and Ghana. I’d highly recommend the whole package.

I genuinely had the experience of a lifetime and intend on doing it all over again!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for writing such a positive review from your time volunteering in Ghana with IVHQ. We’re happy to read that you enjoyed the experience, and would love to have you volunteer abroad with us again soon!

Extraordinary.

When I signed up to this programme i had no idea what to expect, who i'd be working with, what we'd be doing- really there was just so much research you could do before just taking a chance. It turned out to be a fantastic experience and i would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

We got to spend the day making bricks from scratch or laying them. Building a wall around the women's empowerment center. In the afternoon we had time off where we spent it playing with the village children or go into town do some exploring. During the weekends we usually made plans to go on weekend trips.

During my time there I learned a lot, mostly about myself, and got some wonderful memories out of it. I learned how to value the most simple things in life, however cliché it might sound and not take anything for granted. I became close to many people during this experience and made great friends in the progress.

The locals, children and supervisors where wonderful people and made you feel welcomed- taking great care of you. Now embrace your inner "Obroni!" and go for it.

I highly recommend Ghana and this programme. The country is one of the most stable and safest ones in Africa (according to my experience) and the programme supervisors will take great care of you. 10/10!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Hi Iman, thanks for taking the time to review your experience with IVHQ in Ghana. We’re happy to hear that you felt well supported by our local team, and that you made some lifelong friends! We’d love to welcome you back sometime soon!

Unforgettable experience

Really didn't know what to expect going into it but it was the perfect balance between work and play!

On the Gold program we were living in a remote area which was surrounded by very friendly locals and children that were always excited to see you. Little things like using the pit toilets and bucket showers really do make you appreciate everything back home.

During my time out there we worked on a few different projects which involved plastering a soon to be staff room for a community outreach centre, making bricks for future projects and painting a local school. Before I left we also began working on a flower bed around another local school to spruce it up.

Pretty much every weekend we would venture out and explore Ghana which included Cape Coast, staying in Accra for Independence Day, hiking at Wli Waterfalls and going on a safari at Mole National Park which was one of the best experiences I've ever had hands down.

Shoutout to Evans who helped every one of us along the way and Benjamin who sorted any issues that any of us had throughout our stay! I would highly recommend volunteering in Ghana, I've made so many good memories and had the pleasure of sharing them with such a sound group of friends!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 20, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Hi Joe, Thanks for your awesome review of the IVHQ Ghana program. It really sounds like you made the most of your time in Ghana by getting out and exploring Cape Coast, Accra, Mole National Park and Wli Walterfall during your weekends. The pictures you have shared of you and the children at your placement are adorable. Thanks for your recommendation and for being a great volunteer.

Ghana Construction Jan.-March. 2017

I just got back from my 2 Month program in Ghana doing Construction and Renovation near Koforidua in the eastern region. I had an overall amazing experience with IVHQ. We worked on multiple different projects around our community which involved painting, brick laying, mixing concrete and mortar, digging gardens for a school, and much more.

On my program (Gold) we had a constant flow of new volunteers every 2 weeks with great people. I made so many friends and got to share so many great memories with them that I while remember forever. On the weekends we organized trips together and with the help of the staff, especially Evans Nkansah, who helped us by booking hotels for us and telling us how to get to certain places and giving us great tips, it made for a bunch of amazing weekend.

It was very sad to leave after being there for two months but I came back happy knowing what I have accomplished for myself and the community we helped out. A big thank you to Evans and Benjamin for making my trip as amazing as it could be. They will always go out of there way to help you with whatever you need and they really care about giving the volunteers an amazing time in there country.

Construction and renovation for gold programme

I've really enjoyed this volunteering trip. I would like to start with the placement, although it is quite basic with bucket showers etc i feel this has given me a really insight to how the locals live. The area in which we stayed was surrounded by friendly locals including adults and children who are always excited to see you. The food prepared by Tina was amazing. I would say it's better than all the restaurants we went too.
We tried to keep busy every weekend which meant exploring Ghana.
First weekend was spent at Cape Coast which was mainly under Evans supervision which I was so glad of, this was the first week with everyone and Evans made everyone feel like they've known him and each other for a lot longer because of his warming personality.
Cape Coast was organised by IVHQ, as for the other weekends we had the choice of where we wanted to go. Every weekend we either contacted Evans or Benjamin and they were able to tell us the best way of transport, where we needed to be regarding catching bus's/ Tro's or taxi's for the journey too and from the weekend destinations. They also booked us rooms at the hotels/hostels that we stayed at making things a lot easier. If there was any problems they were both at hand to help.
Our programme coordinator was Benjamin. He checked up on us often to see how we were getting on and if we had any problems. In which there was a couple in which was sorted within a few days.
During the week we were under supervision of Godfred. He helped us with building at the volunteers placement, building & painting at the local school.
Overall i am so glad I chose this programme and very grateful for the staff for how much at home I felt.

Volunteer in Ghana

I did the construction programme in Tenken, near Koforduia in Ghana. Me, two other guys and 5 girls helped to build an extension onto the volunteers housing in Tenken. This allows more volunteers to come out and stay and help with teaching and childcare

It was a great experience, we had an onsite supervisor (Godfrey) who guided us from mixing Mortar to making bricks . It was a lot of fun getting stuck into physical work.

At the weekends we let our hair down. The first weekend we went to the coast and we're taken on a tour of the castle the slaves were kept at and then we went to a national park and then back to the resort for some much needed dancing and drinks! We were really helped along by one of our guides (Evans) anything we needed he was there to help.

I would highly recommend volunteering in Ghana. The local people are so friendly, the weather is great and you're making a difference while having a great time. Win win!