Volunteer in Childcare in Ghana

Volunteer in Childcare in Ghana

Volunteering in Ghana 2016

I volunteered in Ghana, Africa for 2 months in 2016. When I first arrived in Ghana, I was taken to the first volunteer house where I met Benedict Adeli who went over all the important info I needed about my program. After all the volunteers had arrived a few days later we were all taken to our program placements. I was placed in the Pink program where I got the most amazing opportunity to volunteer in Potters village with the most amazing kids I have ever met. During my time there I got the chance to learn about the Ghanaian culture, I got to learn the language, and make such strong connections with the kids that I can be forever grateful for. Over the course of my volunteer time in Ghana, Benedict Adeli consistently checked up on me and the other volunteers doing in home visits, and messages through text always making sure the volunteers were safe, and comfortable and doing good. Benedict, and other IVHQ members always made sure that volunteers were doing okay and it was very reassuring to know that IVHQ takes such good care of their volunteers! If you have the chance to volunteer abroad I recommend you choose Ghana as your location and the Pink program as your placement!

Childcare

Ghana was amazing!!! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and made the experience so much more enjoyable!! The volunteering was also incredible, the kids were amazing and I am going to miss them so much. i think they taught me more then I was ever able to help them. The whole experience just really allowed me to experience the life and the culture in Ghana and it was so rewarding knowing I was able to help out in any way that I could. I would recommend this program to anyone; it was well organized I felt safe the whole entire time and the experiences are just incomparable.

My experience in Ghana!

Hi everyone,
My name is Jiyeon from Philly, Pennsylvania, USA.
I spent 6 weeks in Ghana from June 15th to July 27th, staying at a rural village called Asempaneye!
I have been nervous about traveling to a foreign country alone, all the precautions I should take while being in Ghana, and adjusting to the weather and food at first. However, as soon as I stepped out of the plane, IVHQ members were waiting for the newcomers, always ready to lend a helping hand. The volunteer coordinator, cook, and childcare coordinator at the gold program compound were all extremely understanding and friendly. The locals helped me wash my laundry, offered me various fruits, and taught me their local language called twi. I honestly didn't have time to be homesick or had any thoughts of leaving early. The children came to play at our compound after school almost everyday and appreciated anything that we brought with us such as toys, school supplies, kitchenware for their lunch, and clothes. I went traveling for only one weekend (Cape Coast which I definitely 100% recommend to everyone) because my credit card was blocked and I only brought $500 for the whole stay but I did not regret staying back in Asempaneye with the children at all. The weekends back in the village were very peaceful, I took a walk down the road, read some books, played with the kids coloring or blowing bubbles, or just took some nap (since I usually take about 3 naps a day). For childcare specifically, I had to sweep the compound in the morning, help Felix or Tina cook, clean the tables and chairs, serve, wash the dishes, and sweep the mess. Then I walked to the Asempaneye Elementary School 5 minutes from our compound to teach the Kindergarten class until school ended which was around 2pm. I still feel like I left a piece of my heart back in Ghana with the kids so I am planning on making another visit 5 years later when I am finished with my Pharmacy school. It was truly life-changing to learn about another culture, lifestyle, and country! I made a lot of friends from all over the country who I still FaceTime or connect on social media still. Thank you IVHQ for a great experience! If you guys have questions, join the Facebook IVHQ Ghana alum page to ask any questions and listen to past volunteers' experiences~!

Amazing first experience volunteering abroad

this was my first time doing anything like this as im only 18yrs and it was a trip of a lifetime. i was worried that i wouldn't make any friends out there but you soon because close with the fellow volunteers on your program and i still keep in touch with them now im back.
IVHQ helped make my experience as enjoyable and safe as possible. they kept in touch 24/7 and were really helpful when you wanted to ask something.
my program was amazing and the children i met will always have a place in my heart. even just being there makes their lives better. IVHQ are very flexible of you want to change courses and although i was on the childcare (silver) program, i got to do some teaching as well. there are always things you can be helping with and i enjoyed every second of it.
overall, if you go there with an open mind, you will help the children and the community so much, making friends and having fun along the way.
would definitely recommend this to anyone who is nervous about their first time volunteering abroad on their own.

First time in Ghana!

I've always wanted to do some international volunteering since I was a young child and saw the need for it advertised on TV. December of 2016 I finally got my chance, but only for 2 weeks. I say "only" because it flew by so quick and I wish I could've stayed longer. I participated in the Gold childcare program in Ghana and loved every second of it, from the IVHQ staff to the locals, to the children...the food...the weekend traveling...the way of life in the village, just everything! I feel like I didn't even scratch the surface on the experience I could've had, had I stayed longer, but I couldn't take anymore time off from. Whether you go for 2 months or 2 weeks you will no doubt have a life changing experience and meet friends for life in the other volunteers and local people. Shout out to Evans, Tina and Prince, whom I spent the most time with in Ghana. They made sure we were safe, helped us find our way around, and taught us so much about the culture and way of life in Ghana. Make sure you take advantage of the trips to Cape Coast and Kakum National Park if you get the chance. See some water falls. Stop by a coconut and cacao fruit stand and try one of each. Try the Fanmilk products (FanYogo, FanIce, FanChoco, FanDango) - you won't be disappointed!

Don't wait around - get planning - you will have the time of your life!!!!! And remember, no matter what happens, whether you think it’s good or bad, it’s all part of the adventure – take it all in, learn from it, and enjoy!!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Hi Samantha, Thanks for sharing. We are so happy to hear that you loved every second of your experience in Ghana and we also wish that you could have stayed longer. It sounds like you had an action packed two weeks volunteering, exploring, and getting to know the local culture and people. We will be sure to pass your kind words on to Evans, Tina and Prince. It has been awesome to have you volunteer with us and we would love to have you back in the future.

Childcare program at Savior Children Foundation

Volunteering in Ghana was a an Amazing experience. I went by myself and I quickly met the staff and other volunteers. I worked with childcare in Kasoa. The best part was the attention and love from the kids, who are really thankful for our presence.

Adeli and the local IVHQ were really helpful. Evans Kojo gave us 24h support. He helped us with tourist guidance, language, safety advice, acquiring cellphone service, and much more.

Internet service on my phone was good and not expensive. Local food was good. Drinking water (sold in 500ml sachets) was very cheap and easy to find. Public transportation (Trotro/Van) was quick and cheap. In the streets, there are small goats and chickens all around!

On the other hand, local vendors in the streets and craft markets can be annoying to some people (I had no problem and didn't mind them) not leaving you alone. Most of the kids in the streets ask for money. There’s also a huge numbers of churches and religious ads.

Visiting Cape Coast was awesome. Ghana is a beautiful country and Ghanaian people are very friendly. Ghana is also really safe. I recommend Ghana for first time travelers. Just have an open mind, an open heart and you will have the time of your life!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM

Hi Julia, Thanks for sharing. We are so happy to hear that you had an amazing experience on the program in Ghana and were well supported by our local team. Travelling on your own can be awesome as it can give you more of an opportunity to connect with the local community and other volunteers from all around the world. Thanks for your awesome advice for future volunteers and for being a great IVHQer!

Savior Children Foundation!

My volunteer program was for 2 weeks and it was beyond amazing! The kids at Savior Children Foundation in Kasoa were full of joy, curiosity, and eager to engage in any situation given. I hold very close to my heart that kids are the future of this beautiful planet and getting to know Mr. Patrick and Mama Pat at the orphanage made me realize that we hold the same belief. Mr. Patrick's goal is to provide education for the kids so they can have a better future and contribute to society and help others who are vulnerable. I feel very blessed to have experienced this and encourage anyone out there to Volunteer at Savior Children Foundation. You will be fulfilled.

This experience could not have been so enjoyable without the guidance from Evans. Evans was our groups coordinator who picked us up from the airport, Took us to our placement group, took us to a beautiful getaway on the weekend to Cape Coast, and answered any questions we had. Evans is incredibly knowledgeable about Ghana and it's history. I am so grateful to have met him and glad to know IVHQ has a dedicated, selfless, and motivated individual. Thank You IVHQ!!
I'll be back!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 07, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Hi Yvonne, We are so happy to hear that you had a beyond amazing time on the program in Ghana! It is beautiful to read such kind words regarding the kids at your placement and of the connection you had with the people running the orphanage. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future!
    Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Most amazing trip I have ever taken

I had the pleasure of working in Asempanaye village in Childcare with Benjamin and Evans. They are both phenomenal program coordinators and Evans Kojo Nkansah did a great job at booking us a weekend getaway to cape coast after our hard work for the week was done.

I will absolutely be volunteering again in the future, greatest experience I have ever had!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Hi Alma, We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience volunteering in Ghana! It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you join IVHQ again in the future!

IVHQ Ghana - pink program 2016

In September 2016, I was lucky enough to fulfil my dream of volunteering with kids in Africa.
The IVHQ Ghana program was absolutely incredible and would 100% recommend it to anyone interested in volunteering in Africa.
Firstly, the staff were outstanding. From the moment i arrived there was someone waiting to pick me up from the airpot to take me back to the volunteer house in Madina. Im not going to lie i was a little nervous travelling alone to Africa, however I felt right at home and safe in the hands of the IVHQ Ghana Staff. The night I arrived the staff set me up with a local sim so i was able to contact my family back in Australia to say that i had arrived safely. The Staff went above and beyond. In particular Evans, he is so easy to get along with, he does a fantastic job of showing new volunteers around and organising weekend trips to a range of places such as Cape Coast. Benedict, the program co-ordinator was always checking up on us at our placements either via phone or in person, making sure everything was running smoothly and would help with any issue if it should arise.

The program itself stole my heart. It was so much better than i could have ever imagined. I volunteered at Potters Village for 6 weeks. The staff and kids at potters Village were incredible, they made my time there so unforgettable! Everyone was so accommodating and appreciative for the work i did, they all made me feel so loved and welcomed in their community. I left Ghana nearly 4 months ago and still think about my experience and the people i met everyday. I am already planning my trip back to visit!!

If you are thinking about volunteering in Africa, i can wholeheartedly recommend choosing to go to Ghana. I felt extremely safe and well looked after there and lot of credit must go to the IVHQ Ghana staff and my potters village family.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Hi Katie, Thanks for your beautiful review! We are thrilled to hear that you had an incredible time in Ghana and would recommend our program 100%. It is awesome that the local team were welcoming and made you feel right at home - that would have certainly helped with the nerves. Thanks for being an outstanding IVHQ volunteer and we would love to have you back!
    Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Life changing experience!

Ghana has changed my life in more ways than one in such a short amount of time. I stayed in Ghana for a month, but I volunteered with IVHQ on the Silver program for 2 weeks. I must say that my thoughts on how my experience would have been were well exceeded.

I was picked up from the airport after my flight and once I got to the volunteer house I was greeted with lunch. "Red Red", was my first Ghanaian meal and turned out to be one of my favorites. Afterwards, me and about 5 other volunteers were taken on a tour in Accra by Evans, who is apart of the volunteer staff. Throughout the trip, he provided us with fun filled facts and information about Ghana's history, as well as continuously making sure that each volunteer was more than satisfied by helping us with anything that was needed. The next day we had our orientation which also included a short lesson of one of Ghana's native languages, "twi, and then we all were off to our assigned programs.

The Silver program was filled with children who will continuously warm your heart along with the staff who made sure your stay was more than comfortable, as much as they can. To always telling us when our meals were ready, to asking us whether we needed anything, to letting us give them a helping hand with any and everything, we all felt like we were apart of their growing family. Mr. Patrick truly was the best and I am grateful for him opening up his home to not only me and other volunteers, but to the many children and helpers who live with him and his family. I certainly learned and gained much more from the children there, than I believe I may have taught or contributed to them.

I must say that IVHQ did a great job in making sure that all of the volunteers were okay throughout their stay. The weekend trips were icing on the cake! One thing I must say that is important if you ever plan on volunteering anywhere in the world: you have to come with an open mind and heart while understanding that you are visiting another country. Things that are done one way where you are from, most likely will not be done in the country you decide to volunteer in. If you always remember that, I can assure you that you'll appreciate IVHQ's effort in making your experience a once in a lifetime one. I will forever be grateful!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Hi Erica, Thanks for your awesome review! We are thrilled to hear that the program in Ghana exceeded your expectations and that you were supported and welcomed by Evans, the local team and the children at your placement. We think that your advice to other volunteers to “come with an open mind and heart” is spot on. Thanks for being an amazing volunteer and we would love for you to join us again in the future!
    Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Volunteering at Potters Village

I had such an amazing time in Ghana, I traveled alone but was quick to find new friends. After landing, I met the other volunteers and Evans, our supervisor, who made sure to teach us the basics of the language, about the culture and was there every step of the way.

The volunteer house was such a unique experience. Living in such close proximity to everyone makes such a strong bond between fellow volunteers. I miss them all so much, but now have such amazing friends from all over the world.

Going to Cape Coast with all of the volunteers was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. I went the volunteers from all of the different programs. Evans planned the trip and made sure that everyone was accounted for and taken care of. For example, after we had our rooms cleaned that night, I realized that my malaria pills were missing. Evans spent the night and morning looking for them, and in the end, found where the cleaners had misplaced them.

Working at Potters Village, the orphanage there, was eye opening. The kids there are so friendly and outgoing, they treat you like family and I quickly felt like I was at home.
Even though the environment is warm and loving, I got a better understanding of what the orphanage lacks. Medical knowledge and treatment is limited, the kids were always getting sick, and traveling with one of the kids to the hospital took two hours. Helping the future of Potters Village is very important to me, and I plan to continue volunteering and donating to the wonderful children and adults that live there.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Hi Miriam, Thanks for your beautiful review! Many of our solo travellers find they travel alone to our programs but quickly make new connections. It is heartwarming to hear that you now have amazing friends from all over the world. Volunteering doesn’t have to stop when your program is over and we are so grateful for volunteers like you who continue to help form afar. We would love to have you join us again in Ghana and thank you for being an inspiring volunteer.

My volunteer trip to Ghana

I just recently got back from a two week volunteer trip to Ghana. In Ghana, I was working the childcare project, living in and volunteering at an orphanage in a small village called Asikuma. My two weeks in Asikuma were truly the two best weeks of my life! I have been home for hardly 48 hours, and I am already planning my trip back to this beautiful country.
IVHQ did an amazing job at making this trip so perfect. I felt as if everything were very well organized and the local program coordinators did a great job at checking in with me throughout the week to make sure I was enjoying my placement. I always felt well supported by this organization, and extremely safe.
Everything about my experience was so amazing! Anyone questioning whether they should go on a volunteer trip with IVHQ, I would tell them to not question it and just go for it! You will have an experience of a lifetime.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 24, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Hi Deja, We are thrilled to hear that your two weeks in Asikuma were the best weeks of your life! It is great that you felt safe and supported throughout your volunteer experience, as that is what we are here for. Thanks for your recommendation and for being an excellent IVHQ volunteer. We can’t wait to have you back!

Olive program experience

I stayed in the Olive house for 3 weeks this past July and I had the best time ever. I went there with my older sister both of us being very young, 17 and 19. Being so young, I was afraid of travelling to Africa by ourselves but I never felt unsafe at all.
Going with IVHQ was a great choice, they were very helpful right from the beginning, always making sure that you were comfortable in the placement and that you were getting the best experience possible.
The program in which I stayed in is amazing, I couldn't be happier. The kids at the Olive house are wonderful. I will never forget all the moments there. The staff at the house is also great, always making sure you are happy in the house.
Overall, I totally recommend volunteering in the Olive program as you'll have the best time ever!
Thanks to everyone that helped us!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Hi Itxaso, What an awesome experience to share with your sister! We are so happy to hear that you felt comfortable and safe during your time in Ghana. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to welcome you and your sister onto another IVHQ program in the future.

Silver program July 2016

This was my first volunteering experience and guess what? I really enjoyed the every moment of the time I was there. I went to Ghana with my sister and my friend and even I had my company I was a bit scared of going to another country. But the local staff those greeted us were very approachable and caring. Especially Evans who was one of the IVHQ local team told me a lot of the culture and taught me their language "twi". Our host family were thoughtful and friendly. Mama Pat's food were amazing and I was the only vegetarian and she made special dish for me for the whole time I was there. I even found that her food is better than my mom. (sorry mom) Children in our program were adorable and mature. Those time I spend with these kids will be unforgettable and because of that I wish to go back. I would strongly recommend this program to may friends and I wish to see the kids.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Thanks for your recommendation. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every moment from your time on the program in Ghana! We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Evans and Mama Pat. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Awesome experience!

I went to Ghana Silver Program through IVHQ with my sister and my friend for two weeks.
Spending time at the Silver program was an excellent experience that I would not forget.
Kids were adorable and respectful. I enjoyed spending time with the children (especially the bathing part :P ) I enjoyed most of the volunteer duties like helping them with homework, bathing and meal servings (except for the dishing part... but it wasn't too bad).

I miss mama Pat's food a lot after I came back to Canada. I could tell that she was trying hard to give us delicious food for every meal. I was planning to lose weight in Ghana. However at the end of the program, I actually gain weight.. LOL

The living condition was not so bad. They had bed, mosquito net and cool refrigerator (which I found they care a lot for volunteers to adapt better in this environment). I did not find any difficulties during the program.

At the first day in Ghana, IVHQ local team helped us a lot with how to communicate with people in Ghana and their culture. Especially learning their languages during the orientation was very helpful ( we used a lot in the market). During the weekend, we went to the canopy walk and many other places in Ghana. Especially Evans helped us a lot during the trip like better price for buying a bracelet and to the famous street food place near our hotel that taste wonderful.

Spending two weeks in Ghana, I felt really safe and being protected by the IVHQ local team and also from the people who are in charge of the Silver program (Mr. Patrick & Mrs. Patrick). This volunteer made me to open my eyes more to a bigger world. I would love to go back to Ghana again in the future!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Hi Helen, Thanks for posting a review from your time on the program in Ghana. We are so glad to hear that you were supported by IVHQ and the local staff. It sounds like you really made the most of your time on the program. We would love to have you join us in Ghana again!

Olive program July 2016

I arrived early before my volunteer placement and was immediately greeted by staff at the airport. IVHQ staff were very friendly and immediately made me feel comfortable upon arrival. We were taken back to the volunteer house in ACCRA and accommodated for the next few days with food, currency exchange, and a day trip to tour ACCRA and provided with a drum lesson. Afterwards on orientation day we were all acquainted with volunteer expectations and taken to our placement. My program was very nice and I enjoyed the local community of Asikuma. My first weekend we were taken hiking at Wli falls. The experience was difficult but amazing! The next weekend staff took us to Cape Coast beach resort. It was a beautiful experience. We were provided with trips and entertainment throughout the entire weekend. We experienced two hotel performances, Kakum National Park Canopy Tour, Alligator petting, and a slave Castle Tour all of which i enjoyed.
My experiences at my placement were great. Staff ensured we were competent while working with the children. I wonderful memorable moments with the kids and staff. Overall this trip was life changing. I recommend anyone to come volunteer with this program!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review August 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Hi Shuanita, Thanks for your review! It sounds like you had an action-packed trip to Ghana and we are so glad to be able to facilitate this for you. We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Love Ghana

I loved volunteering with IVHQ . I had a lot of fears of what volunteering abroad would be like . This was my first time . I must say everything went smooth and much better than I ever expected. Everything was as it explained. The staff from the airport were totally nice and prepared , organized and welcoming . The program directors and staff were all very supportive and helpful. I got the since of family I did not feel alone in this new place . The program itself is very impactful for all involved . The children are really a blessing and I'm glad I got to work with them. The weekends were awesome !! I only spent a week but I definitely want to come back for longer . I love that the program is affordable. This experience changed my life .

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Hi Marcella, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience in Ghana. It sounds like you had a really memorable time. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Best Experience Of MY Life

Ghana was honestly one of the best trips I've ever had! I gained so much joy, understanding and love for people and the world . From the people, the children, the food, great local spots just everything about it was just magical i would recommend it 1000% the staff was just amazing and so welcoming always checking up on us making sure we were enjoying ourselves. If you have a passion for helping others and traveling thats definitely step 1 to planning a trip like this when you love what you are doing thats what would give you strength to continue on because you will step out of your comfort zone but thats the beauty of it all you learn so much and build so many great relationships.

Best of Luck on anyone who is a planning to volunteer in Ghana truly the best decision anyone could make

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Hi Denise, thanks for such a solid recommendation of our volunteer program and local staff in Ghana. The team would love to welcome you back someday! Great to have you as an IVHQer!

Life changing experience

During my 1 week volunteer trip to Ghana, I have gained more than I have expected, I grew as a person, both on personal and professional basis. The children and staff we worked with were beyond amazing, they were so helpful and appreciative it makes you feel like you really made an impact on their lives. This is an experience I would recommend to every single person on earth, because if one does not engage in something like this in their lives, than I do not know what the point in living is.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Hi Loujine, we’re glad to hear that your experience as an IVHQ volunteer in Ghana had such an impact on your life. We’d love to have you volunteer with us again in the near future!

Olive Programme

Despite being one of the first volunteers on this programme, from conversations with other volunteers in Ghana, I think we had one of the safest and best experiences. Our accommodation was far better than I expected and because the people who run the orphanage are so keen to accept your knowledge and advice, you really feel that you are making a difference. Ghana is a fascinating place to travel and with the weekends free you are able to make the most of your time there. Obviously this will add to your travel expenses, but well worth it if your consider the cost of going to Ghana in the first place. I found IVHQ to be one of the most affordable volunteer companies. I felt I really knew were all of my money was going and would highly recommend this programme to all.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about volunteering with IVHQ Ghana and for your recommendation. It's great to hear you enjoyed your childcare placement as well as the weekend and free time travel within Ghana. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another program (or back in Ghana) again soon.

Childcare

It was an amazing trip and I got to fully experience what it was like living in Ghana from the food to the housing. It was eye opening and taught me a lot. It was amazing food and the people were so helpful and welcoming. The kids I got the opportunity to meet were just amazing and so fun and I am going to miss them so much. I always felt safe and the staff helped you right away with anything you needed. It is a trip I will never forget and I hope I can go back sometime soon.

I went to change something on their lives and they changed me...

The entire trip was an adventure! Traveling to a completely different country alone is always special. The group I met there was great, people from all over the world. The kids was just adorable. Happy with all they have. I learned that you don't need much to appreciate life. I hope that my presence there added something to their lives, but they need more! They need school, food, medicine, water, things that we don't even think about. Overall the program was great. The accommodation was simple, well... for luxury we have resorts! No snacks! Just three meals, but you get used to (the meals were great! - Tina was amazing cook!). The program can be improved. Volunteers can do more!

I want to send a special THANKS to Evans - he was amazing! I was sick during one of our trips and he saved me. He was there to answer all questions we had and to look for the best interest of the volunteers! Helping with hotel when needed, car transportation, and any other thing.

My group was also amazing! Funny how we all got so connected so quickly. Special!
It's crazy how we can really get to know people when we have no tvs around.
I miss all the games, talks, jokes, laughs...

If you want to do something special, be a volunteer abroad. Will change you for good!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Hi Lau, Thanks for coming on an adventure with IVHQ! We are pleased to hear that you had a great time in Ghana and were well supported by Evan and the local team. We will be sure to take your feedback on board in regards to volunteers wanting to do more – that’s excellent news. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Despite being sick and in the hospital for over 2 weeks, I still rate my time in Ghana a 10/10!

I volunteered in Ghana with IVHQ for 9 weeks in the childcare program from June 1, 2015 until July 29, 2015.

I arrived to Ghana before any of the other volunteers starting at the same time, and from the moment I stepped off of the plane I felt welcome. The staff of IVHQ Ghana are some of the most incredible human beings I have ever met. They are so generous and welcoming and want to help the volunteers as much as possible.

I was on the pink program at the Potter's Village Orphanage in Dodowa, Ghana, a small town about an hour tro-tro ride from the capital city. When I arrived at the orphanage for the first time, I was swarmed by 102 beautiful children all wanting to hug me and know my name. The children are absolutely amazing and I made a connection with them that I will never forget.

About 2 weeks into my placement, I started vomiting nonstop. I was sick for about a week, throwing up multiple times a day, before I decided to go to the local hospital to get checked out. The other volunteers and I didn't think to inform the staff before I got sick and just went to the closest hospital. I was there for 4 days before the staff was informed, and right when they knew about it, they came to the hospital from Madina straight away to make sure I was alright. They decided to transfer me to a better hospital in Accra to get checked out by different doctors. I got diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and was admitted to the Emergency Room. One of the local staff, Evans, made sure I was comfortable and he and another volunteer ran around like crazy getting all my prescriptions and making sure I didn't need anything. I was discharged the next morning and that afternoon was vomiting again. Evans then took me to another hospital where I was assessed and admitted to the ER and eventually to the female ward. I was there for 5 days before I was better and was able to go back to my placement.

The whole time I was in the hospital, and in Ghana, I felt so well taken care of by the local staff. They really want the best for you and help out so much! Even from Australia, Edward Adeli, the head of IVHQ Ghana, kept in touch with me while I was sick, and kept checking in with me the whole time I was in the hospital and even after I got out. He really cares about the volunteers and wants the best for them! We traveled to Mole National Park by air and the local staff even helped us book our room and the flight! We went to the craft market and the local staff were so helpful in helping us bargain the prices so that we were not over charged.

I highly recommend IVHQ Ghana because the country is amazing, the people are amazing, the staff is amazing and attentive, and the children are amazing!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Hi Shannon, Thanks for the recommendation and for sharing a little from your story while in Ghana. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience volunteering in Ghana despite being unwell as that can always be a little daunting when you are away from home, but the local team sound like they did everything they could to care for you while you were unwell and this is great to hear. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Childcare Pink Program

I was in the pink program for the month of June. Benedict and the rest of the IVHQ staff were excellent and very welcoming. The children were absolutely wonderful and were eager to learn. Volunteers would wake up around 5:30 and go over to the orphanage to dress the kids and get them ready for school. After school, volunteers could go help kids with their homework or play with them. The kids were so happy playing schoolyard games. When one of the volunteers fell ill, Benedict took care of the situation immediately and made sure she was healthy. The living accommodations were nice and not once did I feel unsafe. The cook was very friendly and was like a mother to us. Overall, I would recommend the program. Ghana is an amazing country to visit. Go volunteer with an open mind and an open heart. The experience was truly unforgettable.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Hi there, thanks for providing such a positive report from your time in Ghana with IVHQ. We were happy to read that you felt well supported by our local team, and that you enjoyed exploring Ghana in your free time. We’d love to have you as an IVHQer again soon!

(Bitter)sweet love from Ghana

Arriving in Ghana, the situation wasn't ideal... The volunteers already there seemed tired and unmotivated, thinking the reason is both with themselves and the program situation.

Communication between the orphanage (PINK PROGRAM- potters village) where we volunteered and IVHQ/the volunteers was lacking in a great deal.

It was us as the volunteers who had to sit down with the local staff and teachers to get better communication and clearer boundaries/rules at the orphanage. This was good as this helped us as volunteers be more decisive and action-taking, although it shouldn't 've been a problem in the first place. IVHQ really supported us well though with different other problems that came up (theft in the volunteer house etc.)

After 1 week of trying to adjust to the local culture and people, things started to look clearer. Also with a new batch of motivated and positive volunteers things got so much easier. Without these people things would've looked pretty different.

From then on we could really focus again on being VOLUNTEERS instead of problem-solvers. The kids in the orphanage were great and loving, appreciative. We helped out a great deal from then on, but i feel this could have gone way earlier.

Nevertheless, my experience was awesome despite these setbacks. Ghana is a beautiful country, great culture and really friendly people.

In the weekends we did awesome things like visiting the waterfalls, or beach resorts and relax a bit. Definitely enough freedom of choice!

As a person I've learned a lot during this trip and def. advise people to come to Ghana and experience it themselves.

Love

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Hi, thanks for sharing a little from your experience volunteering in Ghana. It's great to hear that you had the initiative to work through the challenges you identified at at the beginning of your program. Our Ghana program manager has been working closely with our local team in Ghana ensure that the communication breakdown that you experienced doesn't happen again. It's great that in spite of the initial hiccups your time volunteering and exploring Ghana was so special. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another program again in the future.