Volunteer in Animal Care in Mexico

Volunteer in Animal Care in Mexico

Volunteering with animals in México

I volunteered at an animal shelter in Mérida, México, for 4 weeks. I chose México for its culture and delicious food and I wanted to stay for the people I met and the animals at the shelter.

As a volunteer I worked cleaning the dogs and cats cages, feeding them, brushing them, walking them and also just playing and cuddling with them. That was a very important part of the job because the goal is to get those animals adopted and so they need to get used to human touch.
The shelter is only a 15 min walk from the volunteer house, which is a big plus!

I decided to stay for 1 week at the volunteer house, which was very fun and comfortable (it also has a pool!!), the food was great and I liked spending time with the other volunteers. The rest of my time in Mérida I spent it with a host family. This is something I recommend to everyone because in my opinion it gives you the full experience, especially if you want to improve your Spanish skills. During my time at the homestay I didn't feel isolated or far away from the other volunteers, on the contrary, I saw them all the time and we hung out together, took trips together, etc.

I chose IVHQ because it was important for me to feel safe and supported during my stay and this is something that really was true, there was always 24/7 someone I could talk to or contact in case of trouble. Also, I feel like Mérida is a great choice because I always felt very safe no matter what time of the day, the people were friendly and helpful and it's very easy and cheap to move around. You must be prepared for the heat, though :)

For those who are still not sure, I would just tell you to take the plunge and do it :)

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 25, 2018 at 10:24 PM

Hi Anna, Thanks for sharing a review of your time volunteering with us in Merida, it's wonderful to hear you had such a great time! Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and making a valuable contribution to the Animal Care project. ^Clover - IVHQ Mexico Program Manager

Amazing

I feel so lucky to do the animal care at AFAD. I love the dogs and cats!!! I also got very attached with a kitty and I am bring her home to United States!!
Those animals are very very cute and sweet!! I hope more people can join the animal care program taking care of sweet animals!!!

Animal Shelter Volunteer in Merida

I worked at many places while volunteering in Merida, but this was my favorite. As a volunteer, you want to feel that your work is needed. Because of the apparent abandoned animal problem in Mexico, the animal shelter is a place you can be certain to make an impact.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 11:34 PM

There is no doubt that your work was worthwhile while on our Animal Care/Animal Rights volunteer program in Mexico. Thanks for being an IVHQer!