Volunteer in a Kindergarten in Bali

What an amazing week!

At the start of February I completed the one week program in Ubud in Kindergarten. Though it was short - it has to be one of the best weeks of my life! The first 3 days were spent with the other new volunteers - get bearings around the area of Ubud as well as getting a better understanding of Balinese culture (including Bahasa classes, making flower offerings, Batik painting classes). Our coordinator at the time was Dwik - she was amazing and had the best sense of humour! The last 2 days of the week were the days I spent volunteering. This involved going to one of the local Kindergartens at around 8am and helping the teachers there. This ended at around 10.30am. My only wish is that the actual volunteering could have been longer - though the Kindergarten children are only at school for this long so it makes it harder! Still - this doesn't take away from the amazing experience I had! I made some amazing friends, met some amazing people, and even though it rained the whole time I wouldn't change a thing! The housing was good - 6 girls in one room with a shared bathroom. The sheets get changed weekly too which is nice. Only complaint is that the whole time I was there our house had zero wifi (despite complaints being made to volunteer company) even though it says on the program you get it. All in all, I would definitely recommend this program - I am tempted myself to go back and do it again.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 21, 2017 at 7:44 PM

Hi Katie, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on volunteering in Bali for one week. The one-week experience is quite unique and it is a great way to test out whether volunteering is right for you. It sounds like you enjoyed your experience and we would love to have you join us in Bali again!
    Chloe – IVHQ Bali Program Manager

New level of respect for teachers

This experience not only taught kindergarteners in Bali English, it, in turn taught me a whole lot of knowledge, including a whole other level of respect for teachers and I say that because it's not an easy task yet it is so rewarding to see the kids absorb all the information they're given, although what they're being taught may not be in their native tongue it's not hard to get them to comprehend the material, just a few pictures will do it. The program leaders helped immensly because they spoke an advanced enough English in order to help the kids understand you, and vice versa. I've got to say, I truly did have a blessed time in Bali. I feel humbled to have been able to volunteer my services to the children of Bali and I would love to continue going on missions of this type in the future. The feeling of accomplishment and pride felt is indescribable! Thank you IVHQ.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM

It’s great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing a little of your thoughts about your experience in Bali. We are glad that you were able to take so many positive things away from your volunteer experience. Thanks for sharing your photos as well.

Rewarding experience

I had never volunteered before so I did not know what to expect. Also I hadn't been to Asia, so everything was quite new for me when arriving. Bali however is absolutely beautiful. I felt right at home living with a big Indonesian family in an amazing room. The Balinese are friendly and peaceful and the religion and culture is absolutely fascinating. I had a great time in orientation week getting to know more about this culture. After orientation I arrived at the Kindergarten. The kids were shy at first as they hadn't really seen someone like me and also couldn't speak a word of English. Unlike m expectation I had to teach the whole time and not just play around with the kids. But once I got used to the thought it was actually really cool and pushed me a lot. I would still say break time was my favorite time as it gave me the chance to play with the kids and enjoy their smiles and laughter just having a lot of fun! I really enjoyed volunteering in Bali!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 27, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Hi Manja, Thanks for sharing. We are thrilled to hear that you really enjoyed your time volunteering in Bali and we thank you for rising to the challenge of teaching English to the children at your placement. It is lovely that you felt right at home with your large Indonesian family - we often get feedback that the local families are so friendly and welcoming. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.
    Chloe – IVHQ Bali Program Manger

You won't regret!

This is my first time volunteering abroad, traveling alone and experiencing such a wonderful 2 weeks.

Before this trip, I wondered if I was making a right decision. But my worries vanished as soon as I came to Bali and became one of the IVHQers. I didn’t expect too much since this was a volunteer trip. However, honestly speaking, the accommodation was way beyond my expectation. I lived in a house of Balinese style where you can shower every day. Also, everything is super easy for tourists. Neat mini markets, laundries and authorized money changers are almost everywhere. What’s more, the staffs are really nice and will help you with all sorts of problems.

The orientation week was fantastic. Unlike those normal tours, it gave me a great opportunity to have a better understanding of the genuine Balinese culture. As for the volunteering, you have plenty of time to prepare what to do and the local staffs will give you a hand when you have problems. It’s easy and flexible, so no worries.

Surely there is something that, you might feel, could be better, like the food provided for the volunteers. But, after all, this is a volunteer trip with a very reasonable price, we cannot expect “too much”. Just be open-minded and you will enjoy it!

Now, please let me tell you what you will get out of this volunteer trip. You will learn how to cooperate with people from other countries, harvest friendships transcending national boundaries, be surrounded by the local culture and have enough time to explore this amazing island.

Join IVHQ and come to Bali! You won’t regret, trust me.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 30, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Hi Yu, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our Bali program. You have shared some really good advice for future volunteers which is great. Thanks for being an IVHQer! We hope to see you on another of our volunteer programs again in the future.

Volunteering with Green lion Bali

I volunteered with IVHQ/green lion Bali for four weeks and had a great time. The coordinators at green lion are very sweet and helpful, and I loved working with the kids at my kindergarten. When we first arrived at the school they spoke no English, making any communication difficult but we learned to adapt. I'm still having some issues extending my visa through green lion but other than that the experience has been amazing and I would defiantly recommend this program to anyone looking for an adventure.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 19, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Hi Marissa, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your volunteer experience with IVHQ in Bali. We hope your visa extension went well. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!