Get Paid to Teach English Abroad with ITA
International TEFL Academy students International TEFL Academy students

Get Paid to Teach English Abroad with ITA

An amazing immersive experience

When I first contacted International TEFL Academy about taking the Chicago onsite course, it was almost as if they were trying to scare me away. Several times, they told me how difficult the course would be. They warned me about the workload and the number of hours I would be spending every single day in the classroom, teaching, and doing homework.

I was glad they did that. It may not have scared me away, but it did show me this was a company that wasn't out to make a quick buck off unsuspecting would-be students. Instead, they're trying to provide the best possible classroom atmosphere for their students, and if that meant losing a few sales by weeding out the potential washouts on the phone, so be it.

As a result, we wound up with a class of 12 dedicated, driven students who were ready for the hard work and long hours needed to successfully complete the course. (That's not to say it was a solemn, sterile learning environment -- there were plenty of fun classroom activities that had us laughing as we learned!)

The day was broken up into two sessions, each taught by a different instructor. Their contrasting styles kept things much more interesting than if the teachers had been similar, and both did excellent jobs. (I would actually rank one of them among the top five educators I've ever had!) Obviously, there is a standard TEFL curriculum to be followed, but these instructors were able to add so much more insight through their own personal experiences.

As for the workload: Well, they weren't kidding. I think I averaged about four hours of sleep per night for the duration of the course. But the homework -- especially the lesson planning -- was extremely valuable. It was interesting that our teaching practicum began after we were only a quarter of the way through the course. For somebody like me, who is completely new to teaching, getting up in front of a classroom armed with only a small fraction of the course knowledge felt like a doomed exercise. And, to a certain extent, it was. That was the beauty of it, though -- some of the most valuable lessons I could have learned came from my "failure" that evening, as I figured out how to fix those rookie mistakes (with guidance from the instructors) and look at my future classes through a much more realistic lens.

I would highly recommend the onsite course. Online courses may offer convenience, but the interactive atmosphere of being in the room with the teachers and becoming a part of a tight-knit group of students made for a much more fulfilling experience. And as the teachers and I got to know each other, they were able to offer focused, individual advice that proved extremely valuable in helping me land my first overseas teaching job!

After I finished the course, I turned to the Student Affairs team for help with my résumé and cover letter, and they were very helpful, giving me extremely timely feedback. And when I got my first contract (two weeks after graduating the course!), they were able to look it over for me and offer advice within 24 hours.

Overall, my experience with ITA has been awesome and life-changing. And that's before I even leave the country... I can't wait to see how many other life-altering experiences happen as a direct result of my ITA diploma!

• International TEFL Academy responded to this review December 05, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write this detailed and thoughtful review! We are so glad that you had a fantastic experience with your class and with our organization as a whole. Keep in touch with us! Can't wait to see all of your incredible adventures!

ITA was fantastic!

ITA went above and beyond my expectations for TEFL certification training. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience. I would recommend this course to anyone considering teaching abroad. I loved it!

• International TEFL Academy responded to this review December 05, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Really glad to hear that you had a great experience with us and thank you for the recommendation!

• Course Instructor

ITA, the best academy to receive your TEFL certification!

ITA is the best place to receive your certification. They provide you with an abundance of resources to not only teach you, but to support you in your job search and move abroad. While I was searching for a school, I needed an online reputable school to help me on my journey. I didn't want a course where they were just going to give me the books and leave me on my own. ITA was the highest rated school I found. After submitting my inquiry to receive more information, my advisor called me in less than 24 hours. He was motivating, helpful, and friendly. I signed up right then and there. During the course, my instructor was reliable by providing weekly office hours and giving good feedback on tasks. ITA also sets you up with job search resources, FB discussion groups, alumni stories, and soooo much more! If you want to further your education, be surrounded by amazing individuals, and do something to better your life....choose ITA!

• International TEFL Academy responded to this review December 05, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for writing such a detailed review about what you were looking for out of your TEFL experience and how ITA was able to meet those expectations. Keep in touch

July 2016

TEFL online course was great. The amount of resources available are next to none. Being able to communicate with everyone in the class, the professor, and alumni make for such a rewarding course. I'm currently 7 months into my first teaching job in Seoul and it couldn't be better. There are so many red flags and big decisions to make before jumping ship and living/working overseas, but never once did I doubt what ITA provided me with. The course was the perfect crash course to prep me for what teaching ESL would be like. Sure, everything is different once you actually start, but getting the basics down and completing hours teaching/observing/tutoring was such a rewarding and thrilling experience. It's a shame I didn't do this straight out of college! Couldn't recommend it more to people debating or even looking for a change. I was in that boat over a year ago and it without a doubt is the best decision I've made in god knows how long. Thank you ITA.

International TEFL Academy online course review

I'm now taking my last week of the additional 30 hours after completing my 11 week online TEFL course. I've had an amazing, educating, and insightful experience. I'm truly appreciative of all the guidance and support of the ITA staff and my instructor. I truly look forward to my journey in teaching and traveling aboard.

International TEFL Academy online TEFL course

ITA online TEFL course was very helpful and insightful. I learned a lot of information during my time with them and my course instructor provided me with useful feedback on my works. I will definitely recommend this course to anyone who is trying to become a TEFL teacher.

It's never too late!

I have been teaching English Literature in American public schools for fifteen years and decided to broaden my horizons with help from ITA. I enrolled in the online course, easily located a place to fulfill the practicum requirement and am looking forward to teaching English as a second language while being immersed in a new culture. I can't wait to use my TEFL certificate to teach and travel abroad!

Review of International TEFL Academy

I took an online TEFL certification course with ITA in October-December 2016. I found it to be thoroughly impressive overall; as a result, it prepared me comprehensively for teaching overseas. As someone who entered the course as an experienced university instructor, I particularly benefited from the course's consistent focus on the unique demands and opportunities of international TEFL teaching. A strong element of the program is its use of instructors with extensive teaching experience. The guidance my teacher provided has proved over and over to be very helpful to me and my students.

Smooth Transition to TEFL

After a decade in public education, the idea of teaching English abroad was both exciting and terrifying. I knew how to be a teacher, but what about all the other stuff that comes with teaching TEFL in particular, and with finding employment and living abroad. After some cursory research, I quickly zeroed in on the International TEFL Academy, whose staff made the whole thing seem so easy it was almost suspicious. My initial contact person, Cassie, walked me through the process, should I decide to join up, and based almost entirely on the ease at which she put me, I signed up, and found myself guided effortlessly through sign up, courses, and eventually the job search. She pinpointed almost exactly where I needed to apply to meet my own personal requirements, and just a few months later, I had multiple job offers. Admittedly, my previous teaching experience made me an attractive hire, but knowing where and when to apply, and having learned some fundamentals about TEFL instruction were a direct result of my choice to go with the International TEFL Academy.

You'll hear a lot about language schools looking for prospects with CELTA certification, and if you have the time and the money and the inclination to go through that much more rigorous process, I wouldn't fault you. A CELTA certificate is pretty valuable if you're looking for the most primo job. But the basic TEFL certification I received definitely got my foot in the door, and after comparing notes with some CELTA certified colleagues, I realized that the only practical advantage the CELTA gives you in the classroom is being super familiar with CELTA style lesson planning, which is kind of the house style for most of the big language schools (in Russia, at least). But those are things I was able to pick up on the fly, and after five years of teaching in Moscow, I'm kind of glad I never spent that much time and money on a more impressive certification that was basically the same as the one I have now, just with more bells and whistles. There is a bit of a learning curve, but a savvy teacher can make up the difference by being studious and attentive once on the job.

And almost six years later, Cassie is still my contact person!

If getting the Cadillac Model certification isn't a priority, then I'd highly recommend the International TEFL Academy.

• International TEFL Academy responded to this review December 13, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, even after several years. We really appreciate your perspective as an ITA graduate who is also a career teacher. Also, we’re so happy to hear (though not surprised) that you’ve had such fantastic, long-standing rapport with your advisor, Cassie. It sounds like you’ve been on quite the adventure!

We do want to point out a couple things in regards to the very common TEFL vs CELTA debate. Technically, our ITA TEFL courses should not be considered as a second-tier course compared to CELTA. OfQual, the British governmental body responsible for evaluating professional certifications has rated ITA’s 170 Hour Online Course, our Chicago TEFL Course, and all of our franchise courses as Level 5 courses. This means they meet or exceed the same standards as any CELTA class. Our state-of-the-art curriculum has been developed by top experts and is accredited by government recognized bodies such as TQUK. Our courses are all taught by experienced university professors holding advanced degrees in the fields of TESOL or linguistics.

Lots of Jargon, we know. The key takeaway is that ITA TEFL courses provide an equivalent level of training and while CELTA is very well known in particular parts of the world, the worldwide recognition of ITA TEFL courses is borne in the fact that we certify 5,000 people a year and our graduates are teaching in 80 countries worldwide.

A big factor to consider when comparing CELTA vs TEFL is what you mentioned about your effortless guidance and support with Cassie and the rest of our staff. Combined with the quality of our courses, the services we provide at ITA, from one-on-one pre-enrollment advising to lifetime job search guidance and advising are unmatched around the world, including by most CELTA courses.

Fun fact, we receive over 700 inquiries per month from people who list they are already TEFL certified or have taken a CELTA class, but need job search assistance from us because their TEFL/CELTA provider did not provide adequate support, guidance or resources to actually help them get an English teaching job abroad. Honestly, I’m not sure what industry you would have the same dependable contact person for 6 years.

Either way, thank you again for taking the time to write a detailed review. We do truly appreciate your insight and your perspective. Good luck with your future teaching endeavors, and if there is anything we can do to help or improve our services, please reach out at any time!

- ITA

Not worth the price

To be completely frank, if you are opting for an online TEFL course, go with someone else. This course is wildly overpriced in my opinion. Going into my certification course search, I talked with the ITA staff and they convinced me to pay such a high price because of their unmatchable services and reputation around the world. First of all, the reputation means absolutely nothing in the Latin American market. If you are hoping to work anywhere in the western hemisphere, essentially none of the schools I have applied to have heard of ITA. They do not care about accreditation or anything like that, as long as the course has at least 120 hours (which you can get at many other places for $300 or less). For an online class, their highly accredited teachers also are basically useless since they aren't actually teaching any of the classes, just providing general feedback on assignments. The job search advisor was great and worked with me on my resume and cover letter, but the rest of their job search guidance materials are definitely lacking. They have no live job board available to students, which many of the lower-priced courses offer. If you want to take an in-person class, by all means, go with ITA. In that case, their highly qualified teachers are probably worth the price. However, if you want an online certification, for the convenience like I did, then go with somewhere else and save yourself between $800 and $1000. Employers will not know the difference, and you'll have saved money for a plane ticket to wherever​ you want to live.

• International TEFL Academy responded to this review December 05, 2017 at 8:53 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review about your experience getting TEFL certified ITA. We really do value your feedback and are constantly look for ways to improve the service and information we provide. A few points to clarify from your review:

Experiences with language schools will vary around the world, as there are tens of thousands of schools across Latin America. School directors at high-quality, well-established schools seek to hire professionally trained English teachers with the appropriate credentials. Yes, you’ll find school’s that are just searching for a Native English speaker with a piece of paper and they don’t care where your training is from. Hiring directors at reputable schools offering paid, professional jobs will even contact TEFL accreditors to verify their prospective teacher’s credentials. It’s also important to note that non-native speakers should expect their job search to be more challenging and also that most schools in Latin America interview locally in person.

In terms of job search guidance and job boards, any company can simply put a feed into their website streaming another company's job listings. There are nearly 100 popular job boards around the world. All of these are listed in our job search materials with over 15,000 language schools to contact and recruiters (when applicable). The majority of schools don’t list their openings on job boards, especially in Latin America. We have an abundance of other job search resources from live and taped webinars on specific job markets, interviewing guidance, and much more. Another big factor to consider with ITA (and any other TEFL school), is live help and access to personal guidance. Do $300 TEFL classes include unlimited access to trained, professional job search advisors to assist with matters like resume building, interviewing and visas? Unlikely. Every country in the world hires differently, all of our staff are trained to assist you one-on-one.

The quality of ITA's online class is borne out by the fact is is recognized with a prestigious Ofqual Level 5 accreditation and is overseen by the British Government and must meet stringent standards. All ITA Online class instructors all hold MA or PhDs in TEFL or a related field. They are extremely hands-on and are available for questions throughout your course in addition to hosting weekly live webinars and live office hours. We have 80 videos from our instructors, and our curriculum consists of a 327-page textbook, 38 corresponding assessments all of which are thoroughly graded. We limit our Online class to 20 students per instructor to main personal interaction. You will not find this level of active teaching, feedback, instruction, or learning from a cheap $200 TEFL course - it’s simply not financially possible to pay for such a level of instruction and still offer a class for $200. At the end of the day, our class is equivalent to three semester university classes (9 credits worth of work).

We offer accredited, reputable TEFL certification classes that result in high-quality, professionally trained English teachers. These qualified teachers coupled with our professional guidance and support result in our grads finding high-quality, paid jobs all over the world. The services we provide from one-on-one pre-enrollment advising to lifetime job search guidance and advising are unmatched around the world. We receive over 700 inquiries per month from people who list they are already TEFL certified but are trying to navigate international job markets without any sort of guidance or advising.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. If there’s anything we can do to help you out please get in touch.