IFSA-Butler University of Sydney
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler University of Sydney

Home Away from Home in Sydney, AU.

I had the most amazing time studying abroad at the University of Sydney! The IFSA-Butler personnel were incredible. I built incredible relationships with the staff that were on the ground in Sydney; they made it a point to get to know all of us really well and provided events for us to get to know them, along with our fellow abroad students, better. I felt that I could go to them with anything from questions about where to buy groceries to more serious matters about issues with school or issues that may have occurred back home in the states. Even after we got into a routine and settled into life in Sydney, they still made it a point to invite us to lunch or meet up for events. I love the University of Sydney as well, it provided me an incredible abroad experience. I come fro ma small liberal arts in the states, so going to a big university that was home to over 50,000 students was a huge change, but my professors did a great job of making sure I adjusted well and were available if I had any issues or questions. It was a huge school and it is easy to get lost, but there are so many opportunities to find your niche, even if there for only a semester; I made great friends while there, both natives and fellow abroad students. The campus is gorgeous; it is truly something out of this world. The people are so incredibly friendly, there is always something to do in the Newtown, CBD, and surrounding areas on any given day (week day or weekend), and it is one off the easiest cities to navigate (by car, foot, and public transportation). I could not have been more pleased with my abroad experience. I made incredible friends, learned to be more independent, stepped outside of my comfort zone numerous times, created unforgettable memories, traveled the world, saw and experienced things I never imagined I ever would, and survived 5 months on the complete other side of the world in my own, loving every second of it. I could not have picked a better school to attend, group to go with (IFSA-Butler was amazing), or city to spend my time abroad. It was the adventure of a lifetime and I would not have changed a second of it for the world.

Best learning experience!

I absolutely loved studying at the University of Sydney through IFSA-Butler. They provided excellent support and helped to make the transition into life in Sydney easier. I met a lot of really great people through this program that I hope to be friends with for the rest of my life. Overall, I think IFSA-Butler did a fantastic job of setting up experiences that enhanced my time abroad while still challenging me to grow. They also set up a "country life" weekend that I will remember forever because it was so beautiful and full of fun memories.

Blink of an eye

I had a great time at the University of Sydney. Everywhere I went I heard about how it was one of the top rated schools in the world. As classes went on, I saw why. The courses were difficult and challenged me but looking back at the program as a whole, they greatly benefited me going forward into the business world. I'm from a small school in Minnesota and USYD is the largest school in Australia, going from my personal professors and small class sizes to school where my smallest class was 150 people made me learn very quickly how to become more independent in my learning. The advisors for my program, Tom and Fiona, were absolutely amazing. From day one they told us they wanted to be like our "cool Aussie mom and cool Aussie dad" and they truly were. They had a great orientation week set up for us, showing us around the harbor, blue mountains tour, dinner cruises around Sydney Harbor and info sessions on all the possibilities we have living in Australia for the next five months. From here, they had events set up for us about every three weeks -- shows at the opera house, country life weekend where we got to stay with a family in Australia's farm country for a weekend, spring break which we were given several options and suggestions of where to go and what to see during this week off both in and around Australia, a "farewell" dinner cruise around the harbor during Vivid and a final good bye lunch going into finals week. In some of our free time, my friends and I were able to do some traveling -- to Bali, Indonesia and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Go on dozens of costal walks, and of course, we had to make time for surfing! Looking back at the whole time, it's hard to believe I was there for five months. The program was broken up nicely so there was time for us to do things we wanted, but there was also time to have fun as a group from our program, the three week spacing made the five months go by very fast. Now that I'm back in the US and back at my home university, it's hard to believe how long I was there -- it truly went by in the blink of an eye.

IFSA Butler in Sydney

I had a blast in Sydney. I studied there in the (American) fall semester of 2015 and my transition there was fairly seamless. The IFSA staff in Sydney did everything they could for me to feel comfortable and happy and did an incredible job. They organized a number of voluntary trips and events for us to make sure that we were having an amazing time. They were also a great resource for general information. Overall, I had a great time and IFSA did a great job in making sure that that was possible

Greatest Experience

I had a wonderful time with IFSA Butler, they did a great job preparing students for the abroad experience as well as facilitating us when in Sydney. I really enjoyed the level of dedication they put into our wellbeing and happiness abroad. They made it easy to get housing and meet people in and out of the program, but also allowed us to do our own thing if we wanted to. I think having a great facilitating program gave me the support and push I needed to have success and a great time abroad.

Go Surfing In Sydney

Sydney is fun. I surfed a lot. Butler organized housing and trips and stayed out of my way. It was great.