IFSA-Butler University of Sydney
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler University of Sydney

IFSA Butler in Sydney

I had a blast in Sydney. I studied there in the (American) fall semester of 2015 and my transition there was fairly seamless. The IFSA staff in Sydney did everything they could for me to feel comfortable and happy and did an incredible job. They organized a number of voluntary trips and events for us to make sure that we were having an amazing time. They were also a great resource for general information. Overall, I had a great time and IFSA did a great job in making sure that that was possible

Greatest Experience

I had a wonderful time with IFSA Butler, they did a great job preparing students for the abroad experience as well as facilitating us when in Sydney. I really enjoyed the level of dedication they put into our wellbeing and happiness abroad. They made it easy to get housing and meet people in and out of the program, but also allowed us to do our own thing if we wanted to. I think having a great facilitating program gave me the support and push I needed to have success and a great time abroad.

Blink of an eye

I had a great time at the University of Sydney. Everywhere I went I heard about how it was one of the top rated schools in the world. As classes went on, I saw why. The courses were difficult and challenged me but looking back at the program as a whole, they greatly benefited me going forward into the business world. I'm from a small school in Minnesota and USYD is the largest school in Australia, going from my personal professors and small class sizes to school where my smallest class was 150 people made me learn very quickly how to become more independent in my learning. The advisors for my program, Tom and Fiona, were absolutely amazing. From day one they told us they wanted to be like our "cool Aussie mom and cool Aussie dad" and they truly were. They had a great orientation week set up for us, showing us around the harbor, blue mountains tour, dinner cruises around Sydney Harbor and info sessions on all the possibilities we have living in Australia for the next five months. From here, they had events set up for us about every three weeks -- shows at the opera house, country life weekend where we got to stay with a family in Australia's farm country for a weekend, spring break which we were given several options and suggestions of where to go and what to see during this week off both in and around Australia, a "farewell" dinner cruise around the harbor during Vivid and a final good bye lunch going into finals week. In some of our free time, my friends and I were able to do some traveling -- to Bali, Indonesia and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Go on dozens of costal walks, and of course, we had to make time for surfing! Looking back at the whole time, it's hard to believe I was there for five months. The program was broken up nicely so there was time for us to do things we wanted, but there was also time to have fun as a group from our program, the three week spacing made the five months go by very fast. Now that I'm back in the US and back at my home university, it's hard to believe how long I was there -- it truly went by in the blink of an eye.

Go Surfing In Sydney

Sydney is fun. I surfed a lot. Butler organized housing and trips and stayed out of my way. It was great.