IES Abroad Paris Summer - Beginning Language & Marketing
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Paris Summer - Beginning Language & Marketing

Self-exploration in the city of Paris

The IES Beginning Language and Marketing program in Paris, France was an awakening experience both in my education and my personal growth. It was a six week extravaganza of learning about the global business world and French culture where each day provided new learning opportunities and fresh experiences. There are three courses typically available for the summer program (unfortunately for my year, there were only two after a professor mixup occurred): Global Marketing, Luxury Brand Management, and French for Beginners. You're supposed to pick two out of the three. I was only able to take Global Marketing and French for Beginners due to the mistake mentioned above, but that did not dampen my experience with this program at all. Each course was paced fairly and never once did I feel overwhelmed with any of the assignments or the marketing group project I was asked to complete. IES makes sure you have a balance in your time dedicated to studies and time for exploring Paris and all it has to offer. The two often mix as some homework assignments are to go out and experience French culture in a way you might not think about (like visiting McDonald's and seeing what's different on the menu compared to the U.S. menu). Overall, the educational adventure of this program is top notch and enlightening in fun and unexpected ways.

On the personal side, I had many of the same fears that students who have never studied abroad had. I had never lived alone before, traveled alone before, and I didn't know a single person in the program. Everything was new from the experiences of getting situated in my apartment to every single person I met. It was nerve-wracking fun, and to get past these initial fears, I simply did not entertain them to a deep level when applying for this program. I only let them come out once I had stepped foot on French soil, but even then they had subsided now that I was face-to-face with this land I had only read stories about and saw in movies. Overcoming the hurtles of stepping out of my comfort level to talk to strangers in my second language (I had taken French for four years previously) which I had never had the opportunity to truly practice, and navigating a new city's unfamiliar transportation system, I discovered a different side of myself that would never have come out if I had not studied abroad. It's IES's job to make you as comfortable as you can be living in the city you choose to explore, but it is a personal responsibility to truly take care of yourself and make the efforts to reach out and dive into the culture firsthand. It was an unforgettable experience, and one that I beg each person considering studying abroad to fully participate in because it is absolutely life-changing. You will never regret studying abroad, but it is very possible that you will regret not taking this opportunity when you have the chance right in front of you. There is too much life out there to experience to remain comfy in your own surroundings, so go out there and live it.

IES Abroad Paris Summer Advanced Language

The desire to study abroad was something I expressed since first starting college, but the reality of my experience is still surreal. I had wanted to study in Paris ever since my first trip there in 2013 and it finally came to fruition this past summer. I had always known that I didn’t want to spend an entire semester away from my university, and since I have been taking French since middle school, I knew I wanted the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the language and culture of France. IES Abroad Paris Summer was the perfect opportunity for me to immerse myself in a new city and dive headfirst into a native French environment and it was, by far, one of the best experiences of my college career.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I arrived in Paris at the end of May—what my host family would be like, who I’d meet, what I’d discover about the city—but I had a wonderful experience. IES Abroad took care of everything and the staff was friendly and approachable, as well as willing to lend a helping hand to any cultural acclimation, health, or well-being issues we might have had during the duration of the program. In terms of academics, the professors were great. I learned a lot from inside the classroom, but I learned even more from the course-related excursions I attended, which allowed me to see more areas and neighborhoods of the city than I would have seen on my own. My French language and comprehension skills were challenged daily, as I communicated with my host family, my professors, and the people in shops and restaurants. I expanded my vocabulary and grasp of the French language in a way that I could not have done sitting in a classroom in the United States, far from native French speakers. I was able to view firsthand how life operates in a major European city, and how different the culture is in France versus the United States. I walked along ancient streets every day, lost myself in the history of the city, ate all the baguettes my heart desired, and met some people who made my experience as amazing as it was. I came to Paris not knowing a single soul beforehand, but I left with the memories of meeting amazing new friends and a wonderful family.

Don't miss the best chance to study in Paris!

Studying abroad with IES Paris BIA was one the best decisions I've made! The program is designed to really help students to make the most out of Paris. The academic courses are at appropriate levels, -enough to let you accomplish your academic goals but also allow you to have time to enjoy Paris. The staff members are supper helpful and supportive. Field trips are offered through out the semester, I encourage you to attend as many as possible!