IES Abroad Paris - Business & International Affairs
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Paris - Business & International Affairs

IES Paris BIA Spring 2017

I've wanted to study abroad in Paris since my I started learning French in the 8th grade, and my semester at IES Paris BIA absolutely blew away my expectations. One of my main goals in studying in Paris was to really immerse myself in the culture and people, and I was able to do so through this program. I stayed with a retired French couple in Neuilly-Sur-Seine, an amazing little town right outside Paris, I took two French classes that really allowed me to learn about the intricacies of French society and culture (in French, of course!), and I volunteered at a Parisian middle school, helping kids improve their English and participate in a cultural exchange. The staff was incredible as well. They're so friendly and truly want you to have the best experience while in Paris and France. I highly recommend this program for those wanting to studying in Paris!

Power of Wine & Cheese

I absolutely loved my time abroad in Paris. In-between learning about international affairs and expanding my knowledge in French, I had tons of time to explore the city and travel to places I'd never been before. A favorite past-time of my friends and I was sitting in parks around the city while we studied, talked, or (more often) enjoyed some delicious wine and cheese. I was able to get a routine around the city, which ultimately made me realize that I want to move back to Paris to continue my studies after I graduate in the Spring. The IES BIA center in Paris was an excellent place for my foreign studies, as the program itself was small and it wasn't stressful getting to know the other students and professors there. The classes were very interesting and the professors were so helpful throughout the entire semester. I also lived in a great neighborhood in the 15th arrondissement, with tons of cafes and shops all around me. I absolutely loved it!

Making the city your own

The most useful advice I had heard during the orientation was "make the city your own"; to own your own experience, and that's what I did! For me that was simply getting out. I would go on walks for hours around the city exploring every street and metro station I could! Each day I would set a new goal to go to a different arrondisment or even just try something new at the local bakery. From the French coffee experience to playing kick-about soccer with locals every Thursday, I will never forget the memories I made. (I even still Snapchat some of my Parisian soccer friends today!) You never know what kind of connections you'll make and you truly get out what you put in.

Best experience of my life

The opportunity to live and study in Paris last fall was absolutely life changing. At IES BIA, I was able to enroll in classes with subjects that I deeply cared about, and the professors and faculty really made the effort to get to know each student in the program. Living in Paris was an unforgettable experience, and my location was perfect for exploring the surrounding neighborhoods and even walking to the center city to meet up with friends. IES allowed me to fully immerse myself into French culture, and it even inspired me to one day move back to Paris. Studying abroad brought me more independence and cultural awareness, and I will never forget how amazing those 4-months in Paris were!

Wonderful cultural and academic experience

My semester in Paris with the IES Business and International Affairs program was the best four months of my life. I was able to live with a wonderful host family who exposed me to the various experiences of real Parisian life, cooked amazing meals, and helped me discover my neighborhood and Paris as a whole. The classes I took were taught by amazing professors who took the time to get to know each student and helped them with whatever needs they had. The staff was also wonderful and provided many opportunities for activities outside of class that allowed us to take advantage of all Paris had to offer. I met some incredible people and felt like a real Parisian after living in and experiencing the city for 4 months. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking for an immersive study abroad experience.

An unforgettable experience

My study abroad experience in Paris was a wonderful one. I lived with a host family and that was a great way to learn more about the french culture as well as practice my french. The staff at IES was very helpful in making sure we adapted well in our new environment. There was always something to do or somewhere to go in Paris and those were some of my many highlights living in Paris.

A year in Paris

I spent my entire junior year enrolled in the IES Abroad Business and International Affairs program in Paris, France and it was the best decision of my life! Paris was an amazing city to study in. It was beautiful, had a rich history, and in almost 10 months I never ran out of things to do. The program, located in a quiet residential area, took academics very seriously, but it was easy to balance it out with travel in Paris, all of France, and other countries. The center organizes day trips to many different places in France and a weekend trip to Normandy as well. The staff and around 80 students were like family to me by the end of my experience. I had a wonderful experience with my host family and would highly recommend staying with a host, as it taught me more about the Parisian and French culture than I learned at the center. The program was exactly what I was looking for and it was an incredible year!

Time of my life

I had such a fantastic time abroad in Paris. It's an experience I recommend to everyone, especially with the IES program who made sure that I was safe and at home in a country so far away. As a student with only a basic knowledge of the French language, I spent four months learning about the French culture, language, and marketing (my major). I came back to the US wanting to go back Paris immediately. I had incredibly intelligent professors, a caring staff to ensure everything went smoothly, and a host family that made Paris home. I also made friends from all over the world! I hope to study abroad again next spring because of the amazing time I had studying with IES in Paris. If you need any advice or incentive, check out some of my experiences abroad in my blog - https://www.iesabroad.org/gwendolynlee

Perfect fit for me

IES Abroad was the perfect program for me. I am a Management major in Business Administration. The classes in the business program were interesting, relatable, and worked toward my major requirements. I was nervous about studying abroad but IES was there every step of the way. They helped me through the visa process, made sure I was comfortable with my living situation, and the staff at the center were the kindest people I have ever met. They went out of their way to help us get phone plans, took us on cultural trips, fixed problems with metro cards, and so much more. All of the students were from American Universities so it was nice to have people who understood what you were going through. Overall I learned a lot about management across the globe, I met incredible people, and I got to live in Paris - a dream come true.

Politics in Paris!

The IES Abroad Paris BIA program is an invaluable program! As a political science and international studies major, I learned so much about not only European and French politics, but also Parisian culture and how it shapes politics and society. My semester in Paris has enabled me to make connections to history and also gave me a greater understanding of American foreign policy and its impact on international relations. The professors and staff were knowledgeable and always willing to help. Since leaving Paris, I have missed being able to have French political and cultural discussions.

Paris is a beautiful city to learn French and explore history. There is never a dull moment – there is always another cobblestone street to wander, another festival to attend, another museum to explore. I lived in the Catholic International House and loved living in the very residential 15th arrondissement with its weekly markets and its feeling of neighborliness and home. It is a little farther from the city center, but that also means that it is not touristy and you feel as though you experience the true feeling of living in Paris.

Eiffel Tower and Chill?

This was easily the best semester of my entire life. I wouldn't want to change anything because the people I met, the food I ate, and the places I explored were all key components to the success of my semester. I was in Paris during the attacks, which were hard on everyone, but the administration did everything in their power to make sure we felt safe and well informed. I would 100% recommend this program to all of my friends. I learned more about the world in this 1 semester than in my previous 4 semesters at my home university.

Semester Abroad - Paris - IES Study Abroad Program

I spent my last semester studying abroad in Paris and I'm beyond happy with my experience there. I was a little nervous at first about the housing situation, as my level of French did not extend past "bonjour" and "ca va?", but it was a lovely surprise to see that this was not a limitation. IES program did an amazing job at pairing students with their host families, they ensured this new environment we were in would feel as comfortable as possible and this was continuously shown through the one-on-one meetings we had throughout the semester to see how things were going with our host families.

Besides the housing situation, I was very pleased with their academic program. They had a variety of courses and really unique professors. I really liked how they tailored each class to France, in order to expand our knowledge about our host country, and to allow us to immerse ourselves in the culture and history. Another aspect of the program that enabled us to learn more about our chosen program were their academic field trips, these were a great way to get to know France and to interact with our peers. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to attend these trips at not extra cost.

As for the administrative staff, I really enjoyed getting to know them. They were extremely helpful in helping us adjust to this new experience and were always looking out for us. They gave us personal tips on how to navigate the city and how or where to go to experience the local Parisian lifestyle, and I think this was a unique opportunity for us to get to know the non-touristy side of Paris.

I had such a wonderful time abroad and I am truly grateful to IES-BIA staff members and program coordinators for making my experience in Paris unforgettable.

Study Abroad Paris Fall 2015

I took a semester off of school at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA to study abroad in Paris and it was the best semester I have ever had. IES Abroad is an amazing experience full of both school run trips and freedom to explore on your own. IES scheduled three cultural trips that students were given the option to go on and were school run. These three trips to Normandy, Vaux le Vicomte, and Versailles were amazing opportunities to get to know other students and staff in a non-classroom environment as well as experience French culture and history. IES did an amazing job scheduling these trips and I can say that every student that took advantage of them did not regret it.

IES also does an amazing job setting up housing. I decided that I wanted to live with a host family and live in a homestay while abroad, something I would recommend to everyone. IES is very careful when choosing their host families and everyone that decides to do a homestay will get placed with an amazing family that they will want to keep in touch with. I know that everyone in my program that chose to do a homestay was very pleased with their decision. The apartments for IES are in a great location and are another good option but the one problem with the apartments is that it is not the same cultural experience. In my homestay I was able to eat with the host family every night and was able to practice my French with them and immerse myself culturally. I would ask them so many questions about their culture and they would do the same trying to learn about my life at home. I really would say that my host family and homestay changed my experience most dramatically and made my experience so much better. For anyone worried about language barriers or other conflicts that would occur with a homestay family you should not let that stop you because IES is very accommodating and will be able to find a family that can suit your needs. Homestay family is something that I highly recommend everyone do.

Overall my semester abroad in Paris was an amazing experience and I recommend that everyone take a semester and go abroad somewhere. I also highly recommend IES BIA abroad as a great option for study abroad in Paris!

Probably Best Semester of My Life So Far

I spent a semester abroad in Paris with IES abroad and it was amazing. I lived with a host family and was very happy with my placement but the program was very flexible for those who were not. I really enjoyed my classes and the staff was beyond what I expected; they were truly interested in getting to know us which made the experience so much better. I was there during the attacks of November 2015 and their response and support was incredible and sincere.

The program had a ton of opportunities to explore France with the group, but it also provided recommendations and encouraged us to explore on our own. I became pretty fluent in French (although I knew a little before) but the only thing is that because it is only American students you don’t get to practice as much within the program. Living with a host family and asking the staff to speak only French with me really helped though.

A phenomenal program

I cannot put into words how amazing and kind-hearted the staff at IES Paris is, whether it be the directors, or the professors. Although it is a relatively small program, it was the best thing that ever happened to me and I met a lot of beautiful souls.

I am an International Business major so you could imagine my excitement being in a foreign country taking business classes. The classes that I took were interesting and useful, and the intelligent and personable professors made them that much better. The program field trips and class excursions were also phenomenal. Not only were they educational, but they were fun and unforgettable.

I lived in an apartment, which was close to school and gave me the privacy and independency that I needed. The apartments were far from the center of Paris, but I enjoyed having that quiet neighborhood (the 14th) to go home to and the metro (the Paris rail system) is super easy to figure out whenever I went into the center (which was very often).

Overall, I highly recommend this program and encourage all of you to fall in love with Paris as my friends and I did!

A Semester in Paris

I would highly recommend IES Abroad's Paris Business and International Affairs program to all students looking to study abroad! The staff was friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable about the city and culture. I was able to take classes that fit in very well with my finance major and French minor (three taught in English and three in French). I also had the amazing opportunity to take an international finance class taught by a French economist at Novancia Business School. This gave me the chance to meet and learn from native French students as well as other international students. My professors, especially my French language one, were great. Even though the academics may not have been as challenging as my home university, I learned so much about French language and culture throughout all of my classes. Not to mention my amazing host parents who taught me so much as well! This IES program is for anyone of any major seeking an unforgettable study abroad experience.

IES semester in Paris

Having the opportunity to study abroad in Paris through the IES Business and International affairs program was the opportunity of a lifetime. I lived in Paris for the fall semester with a host family and took classes at the IES center in the 14th arrondissement. IES did an amazing job of ensuring I was well prepared for my study abroad experience before leaving for the semester and making sure I was well cared for and kept up to date with news and opportunities that applied to me while living in Paris. In regards to academics, I greatly appreciated the small class sizes of around 10-15 students and being taught by professors from different cultures. Unfortunately, it took 50 minutes- 1 hour to get from my homestay to the IES center for classes. However, I passed the Eiffel tower and arc de triumph everyday during the commute, giving me the chance to truly experience what daily life in a global city like Paris is like. I loved that IES only scheduled classes between Monday and Thursday, making it easy to travel throughout Europe on the weekends. I was able to speak French at an intermediate level before leaving for a Paris and my semester abroad helped my speaking skills exponentially, especially in my confidence when speaking French with others. My host parents only spoke French, so this also helped greatly in my language skills. The art and architecture in Paris is incredible and the sites I passed on a daily basis were breathtaking. Another aspect I valued while being abroad were the friends from other colleges I made and the friends from different countries. The music, food, and people I experienced during my semester abroad created memories that will last a lifetime and I am so thankful for the 3 months I got to spend in the most amazing city.

A croissant a day keeps the blues away

Studying abroad in Paris for my fall 2014 semester was an incredible experience. As a Business and International Relations double major, I found the program catered to both of my interests nicely. The classes were well paced and I love the small classes for a more intimate setting. Additionally, my professors were extremely knowledgeable and personable; respected in their fields and respected by their students. As for the staff in the IES BIA office, i couldn't have asked for better people. Always cheery, they were happy to help students with anything from setting up doctor's visits to finding a good restaurant for dinner. They made the semester run smoothly for everyone, no small feat.
Class field trips were enjoyable, as well as a convenient way to see both the city and countryside. Paris has so much to offer students, from museums to music, art to food, it's hard to do it all in your time there but that doesn't stop you from trying. It's truly an incredible experience and IES made it all possible. I believe they have found the right balance between cultural immersion and academia, especially for those students not fluent or comfortable in the language. It's a welcoming environment for all.

PS. I can personally attest: a croissant a day kept all of my blues away

Best Semester of College

I studied abroad in Paris at the IES Business and International Affairs program in the fall of 2014. Choosing to go abroad the first semester of my junior year was the best decision I ever made, and the experience I had at IES made me wish I could stay for the entire year. All of the professors and staff at the BIA center are knowledgeable, helpful, and so personable. They made me want to stop by the center even if I didn't have to be there for class. Paris in itself was absolutely incredible. The city offers so many opportunities to explore the arts, history, architecture, and (most importantly) la gastronomie francaise. If I had to do it all over again, I would do Paris and IES in a heartbeat.

Amazing

Honestly, I can't choose just one memorable experience. Being in the most amazing city and meeting some extraordinary people made my entire experience memorable.

I chose my program because I always knew I wanted to study in Paris. After looking through the study abroad programs my school had to offer IES just seemed like the right fit. It was the most affordable, and included the type of academics I was looking for.

I lived in a home stay, in an apartment with one older woman. The apartment was nice and spacious. I lived in the 7th arrondissement, only a few minutes from Les Invalides and the Invalides metro station.

An Amazing Experience

I studied abroad in Paris through the IES Business and International Affairs program in spring 2013. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The program is excellent; the professors are knowledgable and the staff members are extremely helpful. Paris is an incredible city, not only for the arts, food, and monuments (which are quite honestly unparalleled), but for cultural immersion. I couldn't have chosen a better city or program for my study abroad experience.

I love the City of Love

The city itself is absolutely beautiful. To get lost in the culture on a regular day is to feel Paris for all it really is. The food is wonderful and should never be compared to anything. The night life is fun and life is at a pace where you can always enjoy it as everything passes.

Travel abroad realizations

I always thought travelling is an important part of someone’s life, but studying abroad helped me realize how to make the best of it. When you travel to another place, on vacation for example, you visit the city, you learn about the local culture, you come across locals, but you never really get to fully appreciate the place you are in. Studying abroad encouraged me to become part of the new city I was studying in allowing myself to enrich both my personal and academic life. I studied in Paris for a semester and it was a great experience I would do over and over again. Not only did I enjoy the infinity of distractions the city had to offer, but I also developed new skills I did not know I had. I learned how to be more independent, how to adapt to a new culture and how to be alone. This last aspect is not intended in a sad way, in fact, I learned how important it is to be able to take the initiative to go out even if other people don’t want to because you never know what you could miss out on.
Academically, I learned new and exciting things within my field of study, which is communications (more specifically public relations), but the aspect that enriched my knowledge the most is learning how to think about a subject in different ways. Americans might have a certain approach to a problematic which is different from the French, so one should be able to be as open-minded as possible in order to take in consideration both perspectives.
I definitely recommend studying abroad, it doesn’t have to be miles and miles from home, the most important thing is that you feel part of the new environment, not a stranger or tourist. The experience will have a significant impact on your life and the way you look at things; it’s the best way to enrich your knowledge while having fun and travelling, what more could you ask for?

Paris is Calling

To start, Paris is an amazing city. It's beautiful, clean, romantic, and the food is absolutely amazing. Studying Abroad in Paris was the first time that I truly felt independent. I had the chance to live with a french family and navigate the city on my own. I would hop on the metro, get off on a random stop, and walk. The program was great and offered any support needed. We were given cell phone numbers, contact information, and they were always open to answering questions. Any time I needed help, the program had the solution.
The academics in this program were fantastic. My professors were extremely smart and educated on their topic and loved discussions. My classes were never lectured. I enjoyed hearing a different perspective and experiencing different methods of teaching. my professors also would take our class into the city and teach us by actually showing us the material. My arts history class, for example, took us to a variety of museums and taught us right in front of the paintings we were discussing. Another one of my classes took me to Champagne to learn about the marketing of champagne.
I liked that there were different living options in the program. I chose to do independent living and live with a french family that my Father knows. Other students lived in both homestays and apartments. Therefore, there are a lot of housing options and you can choose the one that works best for you.

A Fantastic French Exprience

I was incredibly nervous to go abroad. Although I had taken French for five and a half years, I was still worried about the immediate immersion into the culture, especially since I was assigned to a host family even though I applied for apartment housing. Let me say this: IES putting me in a home stay instead of the apartments is a decision I will be eternally grateful for. My family was kind, welcoming, and my French improved more than I ever thought it would.

As for the rest of the program, the staff is one of the nicest, most accommodating, and fun groups of people I have come into contact with in the academic world. They are willing to help with whatever you need, no matter how small the task; be it knowing how to set up your cell phone to helping you book tickets for a weekend vacation, they are able and willing to help as much as they can.

I highly suggest this program to anyone interested in France and French culture. Even if you don't speak a lick of the language, this is a great option. You will learn a great deal about yourself and your abilities during a semester like this.