Veterinary Project in Mexico
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Veterinary Project in Mexico

A taste of volunteering abroad

This was my first time volunteering abroad, as expected I was incredibly nervous. I had traveled to Mexico before but on completely different circumstances and not to Playa del Carmen, in fact, this was my first time traveling by air alone! I had done as much research as possible on GVI and their Veterinary Project but ultimately I had no idea what was to come. Unfortunately I was only able to go for a week, but it was the most eye opening and adventure filled week I've experienced. The first night was spent in a hostel after that I stayed in the GVI house with everyone involved in the community projects. The house itself was amazing, it felt like a family. Every night we all joined together for dinner, each night we took turns cooking and all pitched in for clean up after. The veterinary project is the first up in the morning, we met a Coco's staff member at a near by gas station that drove us to the clinic, then we worked at the clinic until we were done for the day! At the clinic we would first clean the adoption rooms (which really meant we played with kittens for a couple hours) then we would help the operations! There are two stages, prep and recovery, because of my background in veterinary medicine I was mostly involved in prepping the animal for their spay/neuter. Once done for the day we would typically walk back to the GVI house, which was a long hot walk.. but really neat! This experience has only fueled my love for travel, medicine and volunteering. I thank GVI for that.

The staff are involved

The best part of the program in Mexico for me is how involved the staff was and how they tried their best to make sure everyone had the best experience possible.

Warm and friendly!

The best thing about the program? People, people, people! A warm and friendly atmosphere in a volunteer house, always responsive and competent GVI staff. Importance of the programs, clear objectives, determination and perseverance on their implementation, passion with which the people did their job. Cooperation between programs and organisations. And, of course, Mexico itself! :)

GVI programs combines an opportunity to do volunteer work in important areas and in the same time get to know the culture, people, local life of country where the program works. It is experience you never can get traveling as a tourist.

The land of warm hearted people

GVI Mexico Vet program volunteer trip was my first experience of such kind and I'm still full of emotions from it. During my month in Playa del Carmen I was volunteer at animal protection organisation "Coco's Animal Welfare", which manages low cost spay&neuter clinic and several rescue programs for cats, dogs and other animals. In Mexico there are thousands and thousands of street dogs and cats who need help. Often even owners animals are in extremely bad condition, therefore Coco’s works also with dogs and cats owners, visiting poor comunities, creating awareness about the importance of spay and neuter and giving them advice not only how to give best care for their pets, but also medical consultations to children and adults, education for woman, who often are illiterate, and other help. Poverty there is inconceivable and any help is important to change life of these people.
I can really recommend this experience to everyone. Dynamic and in the same time leisurely and relaxed life of Caribbean resort Playa del Carmen, adorable nature - blue sea and sky, white sand beach, green jungle, cenotes with crystal clear water, the spirit of mysterious Mayan history and culture which You can feel all around - all it made it an unforgettable adventure!
However, it should be noted that it is not a trip for those who like comfort and convenience. You will work hard during the day and in the evening You will have intensive Spanish lessons and other training, and after that You will have to do coking, washing up, cleaning the floors and other housework. You will live ordinary Mexican life with all its problems - sometimes without hot water and electricity, with slow Internet connection and low water pressure, and public transport system is terrible. You will live in house with other volunteers, in shared bedrooms and, although everyone there is helpful and friendly, You will have to adapt yourself to others. There is no radio and TV and Internet is used mainly for work, not for entertainment.
However in spite of it all it IS worth and You will earn unforgettable experience! You will have enough time to swim in azure Caribbean sea, to visit impressive Mayan ruins, to dive with turtles and whale sharks and to sunbathe on the white sand beaches! You will learn Spanish and You will know Mexico and Mexicans much deeper than You could, if You traveled as a tourist.

Loved it!

The best part of the program was working with the animals and getting to help them. and meeting all the wonderful new people. If I can go on another GVI trip I'll love it very much. I will look into in a few years when I travel farther.

Really enjoyed it!

My most positive experiences and what I enjoyed the most were working in Coco's Cat Rescue and travelling during my free time.

I really enjoyed my experiences and living and working in a country other than my own.