South Africa - Wildlife Sanctuary
two tigers two tigers

South Africa - Wildlife Sanctuary

Best two weeks of my life!

As I said, best two weeks of my entire life!
South Africa has become my favorite place on earth, I would totally say it's my second home.
The interaction with the animals is amazing, much more than I could ever ask for!
And the people you meet there, they become your family!

Can't wait to go back!!!

My volunteering experience was incredible

This trip was everything I had hoped for and so much more. Naturally, I had reservations about traveling across the world on my own and on the way to the airport, I began to think that I had made a huge mistake. However, after only spending a few hours in South Africa, I knew that I had not. My volunteering experience was incredible from the very beginning right up until the very end. Johannesburg was nothing like I'd ever experienced before. It is an authentic African city and it is eye-opening to say the very least. The hostel was run by a terrific team of staff and the couple of days spent there allowed me to really make friends with the people I'd be volunteering with for the next couple of weeks. This is a very special place. You really have to experience it for yourself. I absolutely loved every day I spent there. The South African sunset cast against the oldest mountains on the planet is something that I will never forget. Walking with elephants and interacting with lion cubs are moments that I will cherish for the rest of my life. It's not all fun and games though. We participated in tasks such as weeding fields and cleaning the river. Whilst these tasks were not easy, we were making a meaningful difference to the lives of these animals. It also helped the volunteers to bond as a group. This relationships that you manage to establish with your fellow volunteers and with the Project Leaders over the course of your stay is incredible. I made friends from all over the world and saying goodbye to them on my final day was extremely difficult. If you are thinking about making this trip, my advice would be to follow your heart. If you are passionate about animals, you simply must go. It is the adventure of a lifetime and one that you will definitely not regret.

This was by far the best experience of my life

This was by far the best experience of my life, two weeks has never gone by so quick. In this short amount of time I grew such a strong attachment to the animals and people. My only regret is not staying longer, I can't wait to go back.

Living la vida loca in Africa

My two weeks in South Africa were the best of my life! I miss taking a walk with the elephants in the early morning and waking up to the lion's roar. I miss all those colorful sunsets and the breathtaking nightsky. I miss SHIT MONDAY.
It was a wonderful (and heartbreaking!) experience, and I will always carry a piece of SA deep in my heart.

Wonderful experience for young and not so young adults

My experience at Glen Afric cannot be summed up in one word. There is so much that this experience provided for me. As a first-time volunteer who was a bit older than the others, I was never made to feel like an outsider. The balance between work to make the sanctuary a better place and the contact allowed with some of the animals (which most volunteers came for) in their care was more than appropriate. I made many friendships with the volunteers, the group leaders, the owners and the staff. There were plenty of opportunities to learn about the animals and animal conservation. The accommodations and food were good, as well. Outside excursions were offered to learn more about the people and culture of South Africa or just to have plain fun. It would be hard to pick a favorite activity of my 3-week stay. I enjoyed walking with the elephants, working with the lions and tigers, and getting to know briefly some of the great people associated with Glen Afric. I would highly recommend this program.

África Mía

I never imagined this experience like a change in my life. Go to Africa always was a dream, since I was a little girl, when I was wishing to see closer a lion, touch a big elephant, and live in the wild. I planned to be a volunteer thinking about it like a break in the year, a month of fun, just that… but I didn´t realize the kind of revolution this would be in my life, a before and an after. The prints each wonderful animal left in me, the traces in my hearth of every amazing people I met, each forever friend made... there are enough reasons to say: that one was the best month in my whole life. I can´t wait to go back, to meet with Africa again, to feel my soul is at home.

Wildlife sanctuary at Glen Africa

When I first arrived in South Africa, the program GoEco provided someone to pick me up at the airport, who was there on time waiting for me, to bring me to my volunteer project. The driver was very nice and talked about how much fun I was going to have. I checked in at the front desk when I arrived and was given a tour of the park and was able to rest before attending to a new volunteer meeting later in the evening. The meeting helped me meet the new volunteers and addressed all aspects of the project. For the volunteer work, 6 days out of the week we woke up at 7:30 to take care of the horses and clean the stables and clean out the elephant enclosures. Some mornings you could sign up to go on a walk with the elephants, or you could walk the perimeter of the park to check the fence to make sure it was safe for the animals with no traps. Everything was set on a schedule time wise, but everyday different activities would happen after breakfast, which ranged from seeing a cheetah up close, to feeding lion cubs, and for the work part, it was cleaning and washing animal enclosures, painting the enclosures, helped keep the roads paved, pulling weeds. Lots of shoveling was involved, but it was fun to feel as though you were making a difference! Every Thursdays and Sundays were considered activity days, which let all the volunteers take day trips to do activities in different areas and experience South Africa! The trips were an additional cost, but were fairly priced, and there was a list of things to choose from. Being able to experience the life In South Africa and feel like a part of the reserve was truly amazing. The only thing I wish I could change would be to have made my trip longer! It was a wonderful experience I will remember forever!