Volunteer With Children in the Mayan Highlands of Guatemala
Global Dental Relief Header Image Global Dental Relief Header Image

Volunteer With Children in the Mayan Highlands of Guatemala

A rewarding and magical experience in Guatemala

This was not the first time that I had volunteered with Global Dental Relief in the Mayan Highlands of Guatemala but each time the experience brings so much more. The volunteers on each trip always make it so fun and everyone always gets along so well. The trip leaders are so organized and are available 24/7 for anything that you can think of. As a dental hygienist, being able to give back to children in need of dental treatment is beyond words. The smiles, hugs and appreciation received by not only the children but the parents make it so rewarding and special. The location of the clinic in the highlands is remote but has many basic amenities available and the people of the village are kind and welcoming. Volunteering at this location really allows you to get immersed in the true culture and life of the people within the rural villages of Guatemala. It is definitely a trip you will want to sign up for and you will not regret it.

experiencing the culture and making a difference with children in guatamala

I Have done two trips to guatamala with Global Dental as a non dental volunteer..I have done a lot of travel and find their attention to detail excellent..their mission valuable and experience prices less.. can't recommend them enough

beautiful location with smiling faces

I can't rave enough about my experience. I mostly assisted as I was a senior dental student during my trip. The accommodations were much nicer than I had anticipated and our returning hotel was out-right gorgeous. The entire trip was very well organized and even if changes were made to plans our leader swiftly worked out the details. The clinic itself was easy to walk into as a new volunteer and quickly adapt to the pace of how these events typically run. All of the food was delicious! The opportunity for shopping and sightseeing was plentiful and quite flexible to fit the various needs/wants of the group. I truly loved this experience and will absolutely return to do another clinic soon!

great opportunity to help others

Probably the best part of the program was the satisfaction of providing much needed dental care to children who otherwise would not have received it. The dental clinic was very well organized which allowed us to work hard and treat as many patients as possible. All the dentists and assistants worked well together and the atmosphere at the clinic was hectic but cheerful. Our trip leader Katie was efficient, friendly, and well versed in local customs. She organized meals, van rides, and excursions during our down time but all activities were optional for those who had other plans. The food was delicious local fare and we had several wonderful sightseeing trips-local markets, ziplining, hiking up a volcano and mayan ruins. Our hotel in Antigua was a lovely old world place with beautiful courtyards, outdoor bars, and rooms. In the highlands our accommodations were quite adequate and safe and although not fancy we had our own bathrooms with hot water. Our trip had six days treating patients and 2 days sightseeing which was a good blend.
I took my 15 year old son as my dental assistant and it was a great experience for him. He was able to contribute in a meaningful way which he felt good about. I would highly recommend this trip and hope to go on another global dental relief program with my daughter soon.