Volunteer with Children in Cambodia
Global Dental Relief Header Image Global Dental Relief Header Image

Volunteer with Children in Cambodia

So rewarding!!

I am a dental hygienist of 31 years and this was my first dental volunteer mission! WOW..working with Global Dental Relief and our team leaders Bik and Wes was amazing! The Shinta Mani foundation and Husk were instrumental in making this experience one to last! I strongly recommend if you have never done this..NOW is the time..the children we worked on.. the people of Cambodia ..all of it was truly wonderful!.You will not regret it for one moment!

Cambodia volunteer dental trip

The trip leaders were Dr. Bik Aki and Katy Troyer. My words will be inadequate to tell how wonderful they were as leaders and organizers. They were friendly, so efficient, full of energy and knowledgeable about the culture. I felt some trepidation about the trip as I am 63 and had never done a volunteer trip like this before. My daughter asked me to go with her and it turned out to be a memory that I will treasure forever. Global Dental has a travel agent that I worked with to set up all my travel. The clinic was incredibly organized and no time was wasted to maximize the treatment of the most children. Since I was a non medical volunteer, my job was to transcribe the treatment the children received to a master list. This enables the providers to see what treatment the children have had in the past so they can do proper follow up care in subsequent clinics. Watching these less fortunate children get dental care was incredibly fulfilling. It was good to be out of my comfort zone and yet very supported by GDR staff and the local people we partnered with.
The huge bonus of the trip is the opportunity to see some of the local sites. Siem Reap is a vibrant fascinating city and our accommodations there outstanding. We were able to tour the Angkor Wat Temple Complex and visit the floating villages on Tonle Sap. This was a transforming trip for me and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a cross cultural volunteer opportunity.

Outstanding experience serving the children and collaborating with local NGOs

My wife and I had an absolutely incredible experience with GDR in Cambodia. The planning, administration, and execution of our tour along with the housing and clinic site was wonderful. The dental team leaders were fantastic (Drs Bic Aki and Geoff Hoffman). We served over 800 beautiful children during our 6 days of care provision involving providing fillings, extractions, teeth cleanings, fluoride treatments, and oral hygiene instruction. We were so pleased to see some children on recall who had been previously treated on previous trips and notice how much their oral health has greatly improved. We loved the close collaboration we felt with fellow clinical care team members and the local Cambodian partners. GDR also provided amazing learning opportunities by scheduling our off-times with educational tours of Angkor Wat, floating villages, and local activities in Siem Reap.

Cambodia dental trip

A wonderful, organized and rewarding program. All the legwork was accomplished for us, allowing the volunteers to do much needed dental work very efficiently. I especially enjoyed our interactions with our Cambodian partners. We work hard but also have time to sightsee and have fun. The trip leaders and other volunteers were great; dedicated and caring individuals. The accommodations were lovely and the town of Siem Reap lively.

Angkor Wat

We work 3 days, take a day off, work 3 days, etc. And I spent my time at Angkor Wat. There are arranged tours but you can hire a driver and a guide at any time. Don't forget the museum in town, too. I was completely comfortable wandering around town on my own after clinic hours, unlike some cities. And the rooms had ac which was welcome after a day of heat and humidity.

cambodia dentistry for kids

Well run portable clinic in elementary school with large numbers of kids requiring extensive dental care keeps everyone busy during the day. Siem Reap with its restaurants, nightlife and access to major archeological sites keeps volunteers busy in their down time. This trip has higher comfort levels for the volunteer than some of the other trips. Currently the accomodations are even of higher standard than when I was with this group. It is an amazing volunteer location for anyone who wants to volunteer in a dental clinic but is unsure whether they can deal with tougher third world living conditions.