South Africa: Wildlife Conservation
Discover Corps Header Image Discover Corps Header Image

South Africa: Wildlife Conservation

Family volunteer vacation in South Africa

I took my daughters on this trip and they absolutely loved it. Being able to get up close to wildlife that they had only seen in zoos really helped them understand wildlife in a deep and profound way. Overall, it was really fun - Conrad and Lily were great - and the lodge is unique and beautiful. It was a great immersion into the culture and wildlife of South Africa.

Unforgettable trip to South Africa with Discover Corps

I could not recommend this trip more strongly. We went on game drives and got to see wildlife up close--animals like lions, elephants, giraffes--with our expert guide, Conrad, who knows all there is to know about the bush. animal life, and conservation. We learnt a great deal about conservation of various endangered species, and about the history of South Africa, both from Conrad and our other host, Lilly. We got to volunteer at a primate shelter, visit an animal rescue shelter, and spend a day with children in a local township, singing songs in English with them and playing other games. I came away educated on conservation, and on the history of South Africa as well as some of the challenges this beautiful and complex country faces. From dancing with excited children, to taking photos of lions less than 10 feet away, to the gorgeous scenery and the wonderfully serene lodge we stayed at, this trip was life-changing and I am already thinking about how to get back to South Africa to volunteer for a longer period of time!