Explore Germany While Living with a Host Family!
Cultural Homestay International Header Image Cultural Homestay International Header Image

Explore Germany While Living with a Host Family!

Teaching English, learning German

With the help of Cultural Homestay International’s World Explorer Program, I was able to travel abroad and teach English for three months. I chose to go to Germany as I had previously studied German at A Level and I have a passion for the language. I stayed in a town called Groß-Umstadt in Hessen (an hour from Frankfurt) with a lovely host family. My job was to teach the son, Tom, English as he was struggling behind at school and had grown increasingly frustrated with learning it.

Once settled in, everyday life was very comfortable as I had a lot of time to wander through the surrounding forests, plan lessons and eat far too many sausages.

I drew on my own language learning experiences to figure out how to teach Tom English without boring him or confusing him. My approach was to make no lesson seem like work in order to keep him engaged and learning. It proved to be somewhat effective as he went from worst to best in the class, achieving 97% in his end of year exam.

The experience was also great for my German as I was always meeting people and going to places so being hesitant with my German was not an option because few people spoke any English. I am far from any sort of fluency, but German movies, songs and books make far more sense and having the ability to converse with strangers in a foreign language is fun as well as useful.

Teaching English in Germany for one month

Through Cultural Homestay International, I got to spend one month living near the city of Heilbronn, Germany; just North of Stuttgart. The family I stayed with was very nice and accommodating, even the room they gave me was nicer than the one I have back home! While in Germany my duties were to "teach" the children English two hours a day. But because the children were only 5 and 7 years old, any traditional lessons would have bored them, making them not want to learn with me. So what I ended up doing was just playing games with the kids. We would play board games, build Legos, play in the yard, and all sorts of other activities together. By the time I left, both the parents and I could see a vast improvement in the children's English.

I was also allowed to travel on my own. I spent 3 days in Berlin, where I got to meet a lot of other travelers, and even made a few new friends. I also got to see the cities of Nuremberg, Heidleburg, and of course, Stuttgart. It was an amazing journey that I cannot recommend enough!

Immersing USA Culture to German Host Family through Language, Conversation and Visuals

My interest in this program was to help others and receive help in return - tutor in conversational English and improve my German. I had an interest to further my learning in the German culture and language by experiencing a full immersion. The agency provided me with tools to help with activities, education about the ways of life in the USA and a great partner agency that involved me in many community opportunities. I met other volunteers from different locations around the globe during my stay and presented at a German High School about culture differences. It was a comfortable and welcoming stay and experience.