Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Semester/Academic Year)
teacher and students teacher and students

Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Semester/Academic Year)

College Year in Athens

CYA is an amazing program for its dedication to academics and cultural experience. The program was supportive but not in a way that was overbearing as their main aim is to create a positive experience for each student. The program is located toward the center of the Athens in a lovely neighborhood and the rest of the city is easily accessible.

Great Experience

Well organized, very helpful staff, rich culture, good trips. Professors were very insightful and were engaging during field trips. There was a good balance between free time and organized activities.

Athens 2018

My time in Athens was really great. I felt that I had a deeper experience as a homestay student. Similarly, I felt that saving my international travel for after the program allowed me to really get to know Athens and Greece.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM

Thank you so much for your review! The home-stay option is a truly special and unique experience, and we are so happy to hear that it had such a great impact on you! We hope that you will stay in touch with all of us at CYA!

Go to Greece!

Greece is beautiful and undervalued. You will not regret your semester abroad if you choose to study there. Since CYA is a dedicated study abroad institution, your semester is fully planned and optimized as they known that you're a student coming from the USA. We had a lot of freedom, other than the mandatory field trips that took place for a week 2x during the semester. But still, we were being brought to stunning sites I probably wouldn't have traveled to otherwise. I miss Greece as I write this, and that's how you know it was a good semester abroad.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so glad to hear that your time in Greece was so well spent! We truly hope that you will keep in touch with CYA!

Decent for what it is

Before you decide to go forward with this program, you have to recognize the implications of its structure. It's essentially a 3rd party American school with ~100 students. Personally, the students made this feel like a high school summer camp and that made it stuffy and less of an enjoyable experience (but maybe you'll have better peers in your semester). It's also harder to meet actual Greeks your age. I will say though that the size of this program makes it easier for them to be attentive to your needs, which they did, and a lot of facilities/services are taken care of for you (housing, weekday lunches, etc.), which removes a sizable burden off your shoulders.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review July 06, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Thank you for your feedback, studentinathens! We are happy to hear you felt supported by our staff and that you enjoyed our facilities and student services. We are always trying to improve our programming and orientation to include activities that will allow students to integrate and make new friends both within the program and outside of it. We hope students take advantage of the many opportunities to engage with Greeks their age, including participating in Greek language labs, joining local clubs or sports teams, and volunteering at organizations and businesses within the community. We hope the ways you engaged with CYA and the Athens community deepened your experience overseas!

Like no other!

Henry Miller once said that “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” The world has magnificent depth, and through study abroad with CYA, I believe that I have been transformed into a mature, well-rounded person who can appreciate this depth in every aspect of my life. Renown as an inevitable side-effect of living abroad is a person’s extraordinary, widened perspective. I have been thrust into a culture that is not my own, and I have accepted and learned from this unfamiliar environment. I now have a greater appreciation for other cultures as well as my own. It’s easy to get stuck in the bubble of your own experience, but studying abroad teaches you that there’s so much more out there. Other long-term benefits include enhanced flexibility and independence; it takes a lot of this to thrive abroad. I believe that studying abroad with CYA has acted as a catalyst; transforming me into a strong individual that can handle the challenges thrown at me. CYA has also contributed to one of the largest choices of my life, in my decision to pursue a career in study abroad. The entire experience, from applying and preparing to come to Greece to my actual time spent studying with CYA, was just very enjoyable and influential. Throughout my time in Greece, I have met the most compassionate people, from the CYA staff to the Greek locals. I have never had a helpless moment; there has always been someone happy to help me through the troubles I have faced. My experiences with CYA provided me with a plethora of unforgettable experiences, priceless friendships, and it also allowed me to solidify a path for my future.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Thank you so much for your kind review Shai! We absolutely love to hear that your time in Greece with CYA had such a large personal impact on you. It truly sounds like you were able to make the most out of your time abroad, and that you had amazing results from it! We really hope that you will stay in touch with us in the future!

Enjoyable

College Year in Athens was such an enjoyable study abroad program. Classes, field trips, and exploring Greek life couldn’t have been more enriching. I’m so thrilled that I chose to come and Greece is one of the most beautiful countries. I wouldn’t have wanted to spend four months anywhere else!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with CYA, and were able to take advantage of the opportunities presented! We hope that you will keep in touch with us!

Studying in Athens with CYA

It was incredible experience and well organized; I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in travel and/or learning about different cultures. Greece is full of history, and CYA does an amazing job of showing and highlighting some of the most important parts for students.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 8:21 AM

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with CYA, and we hope that you will keep in touch with us!

The best experience of my life...

3 weeks after coming home and I want to go back. I had long yearned for a study abroad experience that challenged me but at the same time felt right. A few months prior to traveling to Greece, I questioned whether I should have picked a place more comfortable like London or Sydney; but boy am I glad I did not play it safe. Greece was an incredible, beautiful country filled with the most passionate and rich group of people. CYA provides many opportunities for extracurricular activities, but it is easy to find your own things to do as well. I ate out most nights as food was extremely cheap and delicious. Pangrati was a wonderful neighborhood full of locals so I really felt immersed into the community. The optional trips were amazing as I most likely would not have seen the places we went to. My favorite was the Peloponnese trip. The CYA staff is so friendly and they care very much about each individual student. Sometimes I, along with my friends, did feel slightly babied by the administration but it’s only because they truly want you to have the best experience possible. I chose to travel mostly around Greece (contrary to my original plans) and I am so happy I did. Greece is such a unique and incredible country, and in my opinion, my favorite. This experience was the best of my entire life and I will continuously look back on it with the fondest of memories and lessons that I can cherish today.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 8:21 AM

Thank you so much for your glowing review Gabrielle! We truly love hearing how much you loved your semester with CYA, and that you were able to take advantage of every opportunity presented to you! We really hope that you will stay in touch with us in the future!

Unforgettable

I could not have picked a better place to study than Greece nor a better program than CYA. Greece very quickly became my second home. Not only did it keep me on track academically (in a stimulating learning environment) but also helped move me into the professional setting and without a doubt affected my personal growth. I am going home as a well rounded student, professional, and independent person with incredible memories from my time in Greece. I am forever indebted to CYA.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 8:19 AM

Thank you so much for your review! We really love hearing how much of an impact CYA and Greece had on you. It sounds like you were really able to make the most of your time with us! We really hope that you will continue to stay in touch with us in the future!

CYA review

Great opportunity to get to know Athens. Cool classes with lots of exploration of the city on special access field trips and tours. Excellent location within the city and an affordable, safe, beautiful place to study.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2018 at 8:17 AM

Thank you so much for your comment! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with CYA, and we hope that you will keep in touch with us!

CYA

My time at CYA was ok. The professors were amazing and well educated, spoke great english, made the courses really interesting, cared for the students. However, the staff and faculty at CYA were not great. Somewhat unhelpful, a little rude at times, babies the students a little bit, and overall ok. The academic buildings were nice, close to the Olympic Stadium and all of the apartments great location. The apartments (at least the one I was in) was not great. Hot water rarely worked and stayed hot, CYA paired me with people that were pretty unsimilar to me and that made my time there not great. There was an issue with the roommate I lived in a room with and CYA did little to help. Overall, they didn’t do a good job pairing me and my roommates, we had almost nothing in common and it made my time spent in Athens not great from the start. The other students in the program were ok. Very cliquey, as is any school, and only worried about themselves and their friends they make within the first week of being there. Athens was beautiful, CYA was ok.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review July 13, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Thank you for your feedback! It is so nice to hear how much you enjoyed working with our wonderful faculty. Thank you for letting us know about your hot water issues. We are always striving to provide a comfortable living environment for students and appreciate your feedback. If you would like to email us at info@cyathens.org, it would be helpful for us to know which apartment you were in, so we can fix any water issues for future students.

Each semester, we do try to match students based on the information they provide in their housing questionnaires. We will continue to improve our survey questions to make successful roommate matches. We also hope that students take advantage of the many opportunities available to meet students outside of their roommates through our Student Affairs office. And we agree, Athens is beautiful!

Everything was good, nothing was great

The program is very small, mostly females, not very diverse. Field trips are designed for students interested in classics and archaeology, very boring for the rest. Faculty members are industry professionals, not teachers. They have very little reference of the work load they assign students. The Student Affairs services were neither helpful not welcoming.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review July 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Thank you for your feedback, Student12345! Although we are a small program, our student demographics do tend to follow the trends of study abroad participants in general; the study abroad field, CYA included, is hard at work to make programs inclusive and inviting to students of all identities and backgrounds! We do our best to accommodate all student's interests while planning the field trips by separating students into major specific groups. We also appreciate your feedback regarding work load! We hope you took advantage of our wonderful librarian and academic adviser on site, so they could assist you as you worked through assignments. Thank you for sharing your perspective on our student services - we do take these comments seriously, and do everything we can to ensure all students feel supported on site by providing counseling opportunities along with a variety of staff members who have an open door policy. Thank you again for your transparency, which helps us continue to improve our programming!

The adventure worth waiting for

In my college semesters I wanted something that would make college more enjoyable and put me outside my comfort zone. Sitting in a classroom listening to lectures, then continuing on the same schedule everyday is not something that is for me or that really challenges me. When I chose to go to Athens I knew that the experience I would be getting would be something I would never forget. And that it was, but it was also so much more. The people, the neighborhoods, the history, everything made this semester the best. Being able to experience all parts of Greece from Athens, to Delphi, to the Peloponnese, to Thessaloniki, and the islands, this experience was the adventure I had been looking for.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 7:23 AM

Thanks for your review Gillian! It sounds like you made the most of every opportunity available to you! We are so happy to hear that your semester is something you'll always remember, and we hope you'll stay in touch!

Great semester with CYA

My semester abroad has been truly amazing! Living in a such a historical city as Athens, I had unique opportunities to have onsite lectures, such as at the Acropolis, or National Archeological Museum. I have been able to see in person, so much of what I had only previously learned in textbooks. And my professors have had so much personal experience, such as being involved in excavations, that they are then able to bring an incredible amount of knowledge into the classroom. CYA also organized great trips throughout the semester, that took us to Olympia, Sparta, Thessaloniki, and so many other amazing places. I have been able to see so much more of Greece then I ever thought I would, and am truly going to miss the culture and the welcoming people, that make this country feel like home.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review May 11, 2018 at 10:26 AM

We're so excited to hear from you, Maria! Our professors truly do care about using the city of Athens as a "textbook" in itself, and we're glad that you found opportunities to see the varied and beautiful landscapes in Greece!

CYA spring semester

CYA is everything and more I wanted from my semester abroad. The place is full of friendly people, beautiful sites, delicious food, and so many reasons to come back to Greece. That, plus the small community, made it so worthwhile. Also, CYA takes students on three breath-taking and thought-provoking trips, making the experience that much more worthwhile.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review May 11, 2018 at 10:23 AM

How wonderful that you enjoyed so many parts of your semester abroad with CYA, ms! We take pride in providing a welcoming community and many opportunities to experience the amazing sites of Greece.

Hard to beat the CYA experience!

My study abroad experience with CYA was nothing short of fantastic. Even when you disregard the historical significant, amazing weather, food and people (which are very hard to disregard) CYA has everything a study abroad experience should be. Located in one of Athens best neighbors and located literally right next to one of the cities biggest attractions, CYA does study abroad the right way. The administration, faculty, kitchen staff and professors not only go over the top to accommodate your needs, but assimilate you with the city in any way possible. My study abroad professor have been some of the most knowledgeable individuals I've encountered from an academia perspective. Most of whom have studies across Europe and or the United States in some port in their careers. CYA does a wonderful job incorporating mandated school "field trips" traveling to other parts of Greece, in an educational but fun manner. CYA is continuously sending students email updates regarding volunteer opportunities, local hikes, sporting events, cooking classes to not only help students get the full Athenian experience, but to make your duration of stay in a foreign major city, much smoother. CYA was one of the best decisions I have made in my college career, hands down.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review May 11, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Kyle, we appreciate your kind words in this review. It sounds like you took advantage of every aspect of CYA's program and the exciting location of Athens to have a valuable experience during your semester. We hope you stay in touch!

Here for the culture, stay for the people

I decided to study abroad here in Greece to make the most of an academically lax, culturally immersive environment. While many of the 'immersive' experiences have been from my own initiative, I have found a new appreciation of the interactive learning that takes places. I am thankful that CYA has includes three mandatory trips throughout the semester to visit archaeological, historical, and religious sites. The professors that accompany us are experts in their field and provide unique insight on the site that would not be as accessible if I were to travel to these places alone. These trips have been one of my most rewarding experiences with CYA. They also encourage students to meet and talk to local people, make local friends, date local people -- whether or not this actually happens is up to you

• College Year in Athens responded to this review May 11, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Thank you for your honest review, Sonja! We're incredibly happy to hear that you enjoyed the unique on-site learning activities at CYA and took the initiative to find rewarding cultural experiences on your own - we always try to encourage students to step outside their comfort zones in Greece, and it sounds like you did just that!

My life-changing semester in Greece!

CYA made my time here in Greece absolutely unforgettable! They helped organize everything from pre-departure paperwork to my arrival and even activities throughout the semester that they thought might be fun! One such activity was learning how to carve marble, and at the end of the semester I had my very own masterpiece to show off back in the states. I loved being immersed in the Greek culture— it was so different from America, and so refreshing! Having most of my classes on site was also amazing...it's not very often that you get to stand inside the Parthenon while learning about it. All of the staff was truly amazing the entire time I was abroad, and I can honestly say this is a semester I will never forget. I have made some really great lifelong friends here, and can't wait to come back!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review May 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Thanks for your review, Sarah! We are so glad to hear that you found the CYA experience so valuable, and we hope that you've gotten lots of compliments on your marble masterpiece :)

The best semester of my life

College Year in Athens (CYA) was the best program I could’ve asked for. We had classes only four days a week, leaving us the whole weekend to do what we want. We went on three mandatory trips this semester: Crete, Delphi, and the Peloponnese. These trips were filled with great bonding activities to get to know most of the people there, great food, and a lot of archeological sites. Each trip was educational yet fun. It was nice to explore different parts of Greece outside of Athens. The people at CYA are also some of the best. The professors really pushed us to explore all that Athens had to offer by giving us place young and old people go and giving us some local spots that most tourists and visitors know nothing about. They were always so helpful and welcoming but not at all overbearing. We were very free to go out, experience new things, and actually talk about what we experienced in Athens during class lectures and such. I can definitely say that my time in Athens would not have been as memorable or enjoyable without CYA and the staff with in it.
The people of Athens are pretty special and resilient in my eyes. I learned a lot about the history of Athens and all the struggles the people there have faced throughout the years and continue to face with the current state of their economy. They continue to be brave and continue to smile and enjoy life even with such harsh conditions right now. That’s the biggest thing I took away from my time there. Athens taught me how to enjoy every moment of life. Being American, we get so consumed with not doing enough or we tend to focus so much on future goals that we don’t enjoy or celebrate the things we have already accomplished. Seeing the people of Athens smile and still enjoy life even though many of them are going broke and losing jobs made me take a step back and really enjoy what I have. The people also taught me to be fearless. Before going, I was so worried about what could go wrong abroad and I was so scared of being in a new place with completely new faces. I knew no one going there but I gained a new confidence and fearlessness from them. I even stayed in a country by myself for two days, which is a big accomplishment for me since I hate going anywhere alone. Athens was overall an amazing experience and made me a better person in the end. All I can say is Thankyou!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review April 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Thank you for your thorough review, Chardae! It's so exciting to hear that you felt that your semester in Athens left you a more confident, knowledgeable, and intentional person. We're grateful to have you stay connected to CYA as an Ambassador now!

The CYA experience

Before I even arrived in Greece, I felt so welcomed by the CYA staff. From their assistance on getting together the right materials and documents needed for studying abroad, to organizing transportation from the airport upon our arrival, CYA ensured that we were prepared for a great semester of new experiences. The courses offered by CYA were all so unique and the program field trips that were included in our semester allowed me to see places I never imagined I would visit.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review April 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Thanks for your review and for sharing your gorgeous photos, Cara! We're so happy to hear that you felt welcomed and supported throughout your semester. Hope to see you in Greece again someday!

Go Greek!

What a wonderful program! From living in the city center of Athens to the brilliant professors and staff, I cannot imagine a better study abroad. This program includes three field trips to other areas of Greece with instruction by the professors (aka the experts in their fields). Additionally, my classes all took field trips around Athens to museums, sites, and cafes. The locals welcomed us students into the neighborhood. I miss Greece already!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review February 09, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Thank you for your review, Peyton! We're so happy to hear that you felt the onsite components of our program really enriched your experience, and that you felt so at home in the wonderful neighborhood of Pangrati!

Interesting and would go again

I loved the program, despite some minor flaws (like some class schedules don't encourage as much immersion as others, my friends had difficulty with health care/getting help from the emergency phone). The staff was amazing and caring.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Thanks so much for your review, harpb! We're so glad that you felt welcomed and that you enjoyed your semester in Athens! We are always continuing to improve our emergency protocol and resources to ensure that students' health and safety remains our top priority and thank you for your feedback.

Best experience of my life

I had the most transformative best experience of my life in Greece, especially because of cya. The trips, the fact that people truly are invested in you/ care about you, and the support that cya offers makes the experience even greater.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for your kind words, Bdec! We're elated that you had such a great experience in Greece - it seems that you made the most from the opportunities and support provided by our staff!

My review

The classes and activities were amazing but there were not many opportunities for students who were not studying Classics (Ancient art & civilization). I wish there had been more opportunities for field trips for students studying other topics such as modern culture, politics, economics, etc.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Hannah! We are so glad you enjoyed your classes and the extracurricular activities available to you at CYA. We will continue to deepen the opportunities both in and out of the classroom for our many students interested in contemporary issues, and we hope our students will continue to select the relevant opportunities already available to them through our existing contemporary studies courses and professors!