Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Semester/Academic Year)
College Year in Athens Header Image College Year in Athens Header Image

Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Semester/Academic Year)

Life Changing

I loved CYA. Without doubt, my time in Athens was one of the most formative experiences I have ever had. I learned so much about Greek culture, architecture, and language, but I also learned a lot about myself. I cannot wait to return. Also, the friendships I made with my professors and community members were the most impactful for me. No offense to my classmates, but I found that the people I engaged with when stepping out into discomfort were typically the most meaningful to me.

The year I didn't want to end

It would be an incredible feat if I could sit here and express all the gratitude and love I have for this country, its people, and the program that immersed me in all of it. My life changed because of my year in Greece, and College Year in Athens made that absolutely possible, with the best of their ability. It would have been so easy to let myself be sheltered in my little Pagkrati apartment, but CYA knows how to reach out to even the most shy of students. There was never any shortage of activities outside of schoolwork to immerse students in the culture: I went on hikes with a Greek hiking group most Sundays, and traveled to parts of Greece that most other students never see. I went sailing for three days around the Saronic islands, and I even got to sail to Mykonos. I tried Greek dancing (keyword, tried, but definitely enjoyed) and volunteered in the Agora archives and handled original 1930’s excavation notebooks! Then for the summer (because I couldn’t stand to leave after spring term ended), I became an au pair to a wonderful Greek family.
I packed years of experience into my single year in Greece, and all of that was done with guidance from CYA. They truly respect their students as adults, and that’s why the classes are also as engaging and diverse as they are. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had class on the Acropolis, but I know I’ve been inside the Parthenon twice because of those classes. With the care of one professor, I presented my first academic paper and performed in a comedy by Aristophanes. CYA even provides trips to Crete, Delphi, the Peloponnese, and Thessaloniki led by the wonderful professors who bring not only the ancient and modern history of the places, but also the personal familiarity and humor you can’t find with a typical tour guide.
Of course, since being back in the States, I miss the real Greek gyros and the strong coffee. I miss the friendliness of the shop owners who took personal interests in your life and helped you learn Greek along the way. I miss the weekly farmer’s markets that packed every fruit and vegetable you can imagine. I miss wandering the streets of Athens and using the Acropolis as a personal compass. And not even the last, certainly not the least, I miss the crystal waters of the Aegean. Hopefully, it won’t be too long until I’m back there again, and I encourage everyone to experience this same amazing, unforgettable adventure.

All I could've wished for . . .

Athens has everything a person could wish for when one is studying abroad. I found an engaging curriculum, a beautiful and historic city, and an active social scene in Athens. There were places to relax and just enjoy life as well as opportunities to climb to the tops of the highest hills of Athens and look out over the sprawling city. Some of my favorite memories are going to the farmers market or going to classes at the Acropolis or Hadrian's Library or the Ancient Agora. I loved being thrown back into time when visiting certain parts of Athens and learning the history. There were also opportunities to learn about political science as well as economics. Athens was an easy city to navigate and I always felt safe. Athens became a part of me and I can't wait to go back!

CYA; spring 2017

Honestly, this program exceeded my expectations in every way. It was super engaging and inspiring, while also fun and relaxed, in direct eyeshot of the Acropolis, all with amazing people, both Greek and American. The people of CYA will take interest and care for you and do what they can to give you a fulfilling Greek experience.

What a semester!

This was honestly the best semester I could have asked for. I always knew that I wanted to study abroad in college, but Athens was never really an option I considered seriously. However, I could not be more pleased with the decision that I made. I made friends that will last a lifetime, learned about a culture that is as old as humanity itself, and travelled Greece and the world, all while completing classes!

The professors at CYA are awesome, and some of the most qualified and helpful individuals I have ever met in an academic setting. Many of these professors are among the most distinguished in their fields, and you can tell that they feel a personal duty to help you succeed in learning the material.

The opportunity to see different parts of Greece was awesome as well. I saw areas of Greece that I would never see if I were traveling through Europe on my own, and these places were some of the coolest ones of the semester! Whether it be Thessaloniki, the Peloponnese, or Delphi, CYA makes sure that you see places that are culturally significant, and also a lot of fun.

Athens really is the city that changed who I am for the better. I learned so much about myself studying in Athens, and I would definitely recommend it, especially during the formative years of your undergrad experience.

Nothing like the Greeks!

My time in Athens and with College Year Athens will be unforgettable. CYA is a small program with a huge heart. The academics they offer are grade A. The teachers are brilliant, the curriculum is rich, and the course material is challenging, but appealing. Additionally, the professors seem genuinely interested in their students and their lives as well as what they're learning during their time abroad. This is something I believe many other larger study abroad programs lack because of their high volume of students ( I think its also because no one is like the Greeks). Living situations are great and close by to the school. All apartments are located within a great residential neighborhood that is safe and quiet. The apartments themselves I believe to to be quite nice and contain all the amenities one might need. Plus, the cost of living is very cheap and a student can get by quite easy in Greece during these times. CYA did a fantastic job immersing their students into the culture and knowledge of Greece. Often times there were extracurricular activities to participate in whether it be a Greek dancing class, a cooking class, or even a sculpting class. The mandatory school trips, however, were incredible. On these trips were would travel to regions like the Peloponnese, Crete, or Northern Greece and visit ancient cites and areas we may have learned about in class. Even if you didn't take a certain class you will learn the information either way. It was specially great, because the professors already seemed to know exactly what us (the students) would want to see and mange to keep it interesting the entire duration of the trip. I enjoyed these trips the most and learned more that I had bargained for.
The program administration was great and informative as well pre departure assistance. Orientation sessions were great and packed full of information, but I could see there was an effort not to bore the students too much. Course instruction as i already mentioned was above and beyond with extremely knowledgeable and laid back professors who inspire learning in/out of the classroom. My health and safety were both things I felt conformable about under the supervision of CYA. The CYA director, Nadia, is always there day and night if a students needs any assistance and will refer you and make phone calls to make sure you get the best treatment. Besides that, any and all the faculty will drop anything to ensure the safety and health of their students. There are few study abroad programs that can offer what CYA can offer, and there are few countries that can offer such a rich cultural experience than Greece.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We can't tell you how much we appreciate your kind words, and how glad we are that you found your time in Athens valuable in so many ways.

Four months of exploration and personal growth

I came to Athens knowing that I wanted to experience the city, to get to know its neighborhoods and its hidden hang out spots, its foods and its people. With urban studies courses with near-weekly walks around the city and anthropology courses requiring field work exercises, CYA greatly helped me to become acclimated and to get to the point where I am confident that I won't feel like a stranger the next time I return to Athens.
Academically, I didn't find CYA to be very demanding, which is necessary while studying abroad because getting used to a city and to a culture takes time and effort outside of the classroom. This relaxed atmosphere allowed us to get what we wanted from the experience. If what we wanted wasn't academic, fine, but professors were also very supportive of those who wanted to pursue particular, focused interests in the course material, and CYA also provided the platform for several students to present their research in a student conference. My one criticism academically is when professors allowed uninterested students too much control over discussions and coursework.
In addition to the academics, CYA staff did a great job at informing students about things to get involved in in Athens. I formed several lasting friendships with Greeks by going hiking and by going to the recommended marble carving class.
I highly recommend CYA as a study abroad program and advise that interested students make the most out of every available opportunity! Also, although it isn't required to attend the program, taking at least one semester of modern Greek before coming really helps!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Alyssa! We're so happy that you found a second home in Athens and were able to take advantage of CYA's unique program structure to grow personally and get involved with local communities. We hope that you continue to nurture the friendships you made during your semester!

CYA - Athens, Greece

I loved my time at CYA. I learned a lot about myself, Greek culture, and new perspectives. While in Greece I maintained a personal blog, got an internship at "Athens Insider Magazine," and was on the Social Media Assistantship Team for CYA. I also got involved with Hellenic Ministries (based in Athens). Not only did I love my extracurricular activities, but I also loved my classes. I recommend CYA to everyone who is thinking about studying abroad.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Thank you so much for your feedback, Justin. We're happy that you were able to find so many professional opportunities during your CYA semester!

CYA review

I enjoyed my experience abroad immensely and could rave all day about how awesome my classes were, how amazing it was to be on site every day, and the types of bonds I formed with my classmates. I would rate this aspect of my experience as a 10/10. I was however consistently disappointed by the administration. I think Jennifer at the front desk is amazing and deserves a raise and all the praise in the world. On the other hand, I had many negative experiences with the other members of the administration and was appalled at how they went about handling certain issues. The airport strike and subsequent email from CYA was greatly mismanaged; there were personal events that occurred for some of my classmates in which I was shocked at how CYA responded--often with neglect or complete misunderstanding. For another friend, the registrar was not up front about her course credit and it wasn't until the last week of the program that she found out that she would actually get credit for her classes (that's an entire semester of stress that she went through for no reason other then the registrar refused to communicate with her home institution until the president interceded. I will always have tons of positive experiences with CYA, but I really feel that the administration let all of us down.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Thanks so much, hhoover, for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed studying with CYA, especially the on-site courses. While much goes on behind the scenes to make sure our students are having a safe and comfortable experience, your notes help us understand how best to communicate with students about the unexpected things that happen while abroad. We appreciate your feedback!

What CYA taught me

CYA taught me some valuable lessons on meeting people with different perspectives, being confident in myself, and really just appreciating where my life has taken me. This past semester was an incredible journey and coming from Texas, I met people who may not have seen things eye to eye with me, but I was able to learn from them and develop my own ideas from them. Being in a foreign country not knowing anyone before hand, you have to go out of your way to try and meet new people. I was always afraid of putting myself out there, but I tried and the friends I made and the things I got to experience were well worth it. Being able to travel all over Greece and seeing so many different regions really made me appreciate what CYA was giving me the opportunity to do; without CYA I never would have known that there could be such mountainous terrains in Greece and not just islands. I was so lucky to have had this experience and I want to continue being able to appreciate life in the United States and find the beauty I did in Greece back home.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, CDH! We are excited that you found your study abroad experience eye-opening and a time of personal growth - that's exactly what we aim for!

Athens is an awesome city

I had a great experience with CYA! I really enjoyed the area of Athens as well as all the students in my program. Classes were interesting but not an overwhelming amount of work. Apartments were good.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review March 01, 2017 at 12:17 PM

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at CYA! Thank you for sharing!

Some of the most meaningful and happiest months of my life

It’s hard to avoid falling into clichés when describing my semester with CYA Athens, because those four months really were life changing, eye-opening, and nothing short of a dream. Of course, the country of Greece is unspeakably beautiful, and I am amazed at the huge variety of places I was able to see. From the otherworldly landscape of ‘Meteora' with 15th century monasteries perched atop shocking rock formations to the volcanic cliffs of Santorini… The beaches and mountain ranges were surprisingly diverse but equally spectacular, and each island, village and city had a uniquely charming vibe.

The best part of experiencing Greece was not the breathtaking vistas, however. It was the people of Greece, hands down. Sometimes I still shake my head in grateful amazement when I think of all the ways and times that I was shown generosity, warmth and downright familial love from too many people to count. This alone changed me, and is something that I hope to pass on to others wherever I go in life. The CYA staff was not an exception to this rule; in fact, they were all some of the most wonderful and interesting people I met in Greece.

The academic component of this program was just as excellent. The material for my classes was stimulating and fascinating, and the professors were fantastic. They gave us more individual attention than I’ve ever had in college and took us on once-in-a-lifetime field trips like inside Parliament and an Orthodox monastery, and to archaeological sites, museums and exhibits. As if this weren’t enough, CYA takes all of its students on multiple school-wide field trips that last for as long as one week. This gives you the opportunity to hear about historic and cultural sites from experts in the field in a way that would never be possible as a tourist.

All in all, I can hardly overstate how highly I recommend College Year in Athens. It opened my mind to new perspectives and taught me so much about the world. But also, it taught me so much about myself. I truly can say that I feel like Greece has become like a second home, and that is in large part thanks to CYA.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review November 04, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are elated to hear you had such a meaningful experience in Greece with CYA!

CYA spring 2016

This semester changed my life. I fell in love with Greece--its food, culture, language, and people. During the semester I found my passion and met so many amazing people. I do not regret my time in Greece at all, it has been incredible and I learned and grew so much. The professors, staff, and my fellow students contributed to an unforgettable experience.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review November 04, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Kyra! We are so glad to hear you had such a positive experience with the program, those who are a part of it, and Athens as a whole!

CYA

Incredible experiences. I was impressed and satisfied with my entire trip/time studying abroad with CYA. Very strong program academically, socially, and culturally. If given a second chance, I would definitely go back.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review October 31, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Cole! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the program!

Wonderful semester abroad

Spending a semester in Athens, Greece through the CYA program was one of the best choices I have made in college. Between living in the heart of the city, studying onsite at ancient monuments, and traveling throughout Greece and Europe, CYA allows students to fully immerse themselves in Athenian life while providing ample opportunities to travel. Professors are extremely knowledgeable, qualified, and passionate about their areas of study.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review October 31, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time with CYA!

One of the best decisions of my life

Going to CYA was one of the best decisions of my life. The program allowed me to see far more of Greece than I ever could have on my own, and to learn more about this special country too. And Greece really is special. It holds a unique place in ancient, classical and modern history alike. The push and pull of where the East meets the West in the Greek culture is fascinating. This semester at CYA, I also learned more about my own country's place on the international stage throughout history. The way CYA expanded my mind is an immeasurable gift; my eyes have been opened to new aspects of the world we live in. What more could you ask of a study abroad experience? In addition, the CYA staff are all some of the best people I've ever met in my life. They seem to have endless energy and attention and compassion for their students. And they support you so that you have all the resources you need to go out and explore and experience Greece to the fullest extent. Academically, the professors are outstanding. They likewise give so much individual attention and care to their students. It's something that would be impossible or incomparable in my home institution in the U.S. I have no complaints about the program. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a more full experience of a country - beyond the "let's go to Europe and drink a lot and cruise, etc." Anyone who truly wants to experience a beautiful, rich culture and to learn a ton should attend CYA.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review October 31, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Thank you for such positive feedback! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time with CYA and gained so much from the program!

My review

I really enjoyed my stay in Athens with CYA! I think they do a great job immersing you in the culture as well as giving a unique experience with classes. I especially enjoyed the trips I think they are something that really makes CYA unique.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review October 31, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Pyates! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the program and had an especially great time on the trips!

My big fat Greek semester

I love my home institution, and was reluctant to miss an entire semester to go abroad. However, it was the best decision I could have made for myself as a college student. Furthermore, choosing Greece was the next best decision. I have little to no complaints about my time with CYA, because I had such a wonderful experience in Athens. The course schedule and rigor was perfect for a study abroad program, in that the workload and difficulty allowed us to travel on weekends without feeling behind or bogged down with work. After all, I learned more outside of the classroom than I ever could have inside. The food was unreal, especially the tavernas. Eating at a taverna with friends, sharing food and wine, was always the highlight of my day/week/maybe even semester. The affordability within Greece was a plus, as well as how cheap it was to fly to and from Europe on the weekends. The best part, however, were the people. Greeks may get a bad rep for being lazy and in debt, but they are the nicest most genuine people. I felt so welcome in their country, and never unsafe. They loved practicing their English on us and when we would brutally attempt to speak in their language to them. I look back on my semester with CYA with such fond memories, and even new friends. One month after coming home I had already seen my two roommates that I met abroad! I didn't just find new friends abroad however, I found new parts of myself.

CYA thoughts

Great program, very good teachers, classes were a little too long, great community, loved the field trips, felt like the administration tried to dissuade people from traveling around Europe on the weekends, some of the costs (washing machine) were much too high, food was great, general resources were good, I had a great time

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Thanks, cstokes, for your feedback! We are so glad you enjoyed the program and professors! We hope you were able to check some places off your bucket list while also basking in all that Athens has to offer!

Unforgettable

My time with CYA was unforgettable. I only have positive things to say about my abroad experience. I highly recommend this program. The classes were appropriately challenging for an abroad program. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location of the school and apartments was ideal.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We're elated that your time in Greece had such a positive impact on you.

CYA!!!!

CYA was an amazing experience! I think one of the best features of the program is the size of it. Not too small, not too big, you really do get to know other students really well but also the amazing faculty and staff at the program. Being in Greece also presents people with various learning opportunities, be it related to the classics, languages, or current histories and developments. There is much to do, see, hear, smell, taste, and feel in Athens and beyond - you just need to be open-minded and accepting of the journeys lying ahead of you and just enjoy the ride.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM

We're so happy that you enjoyed your time in Greece, Bhumo! We definitely try to foster a positive, close learning community with our program and we're glad that it had an impact on you.

College year in Athens semester abroad

The program itself was fantastic I had an unforgettable time and was upset when I had to leave. I met the most amazing people, however the administration of the program was not always helpful and were unorganized.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that your CYA experience had such a deep impact on you. We would love to hear more about your suggestions - please feel free to contact us at info@cyathens.org if you'd like to share more detailed feedback.

I loved my CYA experience!

I was lucky to share a comfortable apartment with two amazing roommates. The field trips were the best part of the program because they really gave you an in depth understanding of Greece and all of its wonderful regions. I overall thoroughly enjoyed my classes although I did hear from some friends that they were disappointed with some of their classes. I also loved having free lunch everyday, it allowed me to try some Greek dishes I may have not ordered at a restaurant! My one complaint was the washing and drying situation. The detergent was very hard on my clothes and too expensive.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Thanks very much for your feedback! We always strive to provide a comfortable living environment for our students and we are so glad that you enjoyed your time in Greece!

A great program that puts the student first

Overall CYA is a fantastic institution that works hard to give its students the best experience they can get. The only negative aspect of my experience is that the apartments could have been better (i.e. better mattresses, more kitchen utensils, etc). Otherwise the staff and teachers are focused on making sure the student is enjoying themselves and experiencing what Greece has to offer. I would recommend this program to anyone who wishes to visit Greece.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience! We're stoked that you enjoyed Athens and felt supported during your time with us. We are always striving to provide a comfortable living environment for students and appreciate your feedback.

My trip

Overall an excellent experience. The trips were amazing the professors were impressive and the people I met were fantastic I would not trade this experience for anything else. Had a wonderful time in Athens.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review June 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Thank you so much for sharing - we're absolutely elated that you had such a good experience with CYA!