Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Semester/Academic Year)
College Year in Athens Header Image College Year in Athens Header Image

Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Semester/Academic Year)

An Experience of a Lifetime

The strengths of College Year in Athens definitely included the fact that they were able to offer a variety of opportunities for all academic and non-academic interests. They also did a fantastic job with our experience outside of the classroom.
What I learned outside of the classroom was most definitely the most valuable piece I took away from studying abroad. College Year in Athens does an incredible job at making sure you learn not only in the classroom but also outside of the classroom with the optional and required field trips that are offered. Outside of the classroom I was able to connect with the Greek culture by visiting coffee shops, going to the National Garden, and even going to a different part of Athens and interacting with the locals. I was luckily able to learn a little bit of the Greek language and was able to interact on a different level with the Greek population. I also volunteered most of my time at the refugee center in Athens and I was able to immerse myself in the culture and the lifestyle of a refugee. I was able to learn incredible stories about individuals who were of a variety of ages and came from different places. Outside of the classroom I was also able to learn a lot about myself, who I really am and the impact I can have on a society and those around me.
In academics, College Year in Athens shines! Especially because they have some of the greatest professors in the social science realm of studies. Not a heavy course load but one always needs to make sure they do the work and pay attention, like any class.
The living arrangements were not the best but they also weren’t the worst. One has the option to live with a host family or live in an apartment with other individuals. Everything you need is in the apartment and if it isn't there you can request something. Also, the staff was extremely nice and responded quickly if there were any issues that had arisen within our apartment.
I cannot say better things about the director and the program staff, they are absolutely incredible. During my time in Athens, they were extremely helpful, attentive, and focused on each student’s own needs in order to succeed. I enjoyed working with Nadia, she was helpful in assisting me in attaining my internship with the refugee center.
I absolutely enjoyed my internship at Caritas Hellas, the refugee center located in Athens. I was able to connect with all types of individuals on an extremely personal level. I was in a different country surrounded by people from various different backgrounds and beliefs, yet for some reason I felt a connection with each and every one of them. I am so thankful I was able to assist the little time that I was at the refugee center. I will never forget my time there, the people I interacted with, and the way I felt when I was there. This internship was unique because I actually felt that I was making a difference, even though it was small. I worked a lot in the women’s clothing center and I was lucky to meet so many women that came from so many different places. I would assist them in choosing clothes that they needed for themselves and for their children, they had a total of 10 minutes to do so and some of them had at least 5 children, it was complicated but when we were able to find a coat for them or clothes that was the perfect fit they would break down in tears and give us all hugs. They were so thankful for something as simple as a coat, that was when it hit me and realized I had taken many things for granted. Working at the refugee center changed and further developed my perspective of myself and the world around me. Reflecting back on my experience, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

CYA: a Review

Good overall, lacking in campus life, not much campus to speak of. The food served in the cafeteria was amazing and most of the professors were engaging and supportive. The language barrier for some was difficult to get over at first, but all and all a good experience.

CYA Review

CYA was a great experience! Living situations were typically good, but a little more space would go a long way. Courses were appropriate to the term but at times expectations seemed too high for a term abroad. All professors were easy to talk to and a great addition to the term. The organized field trips were the best part!

CYA review

I really enjoyed my time studying at CYA. I loved living in the heart of Athens. The Professors and staff really helped us students navigate life in a foreign city. I learned a lot through my courses.

Excellent program

The CYA program was excellent. The academic programs were diverse, focused on many different subjects, but all of them helped me understand and appreciate Greece more. The professors were engaging and helpful. The other students were all very friendly and the overall sense of community was excellent.

CYA fall 2017

I have no idea what this section is asking for, but since there isn't a section on here for just a general review on here, I'll just say this: my classes were all great and mostly very interesting, and having so many classes occur outside of the classroom was invaluable. However, interactions with the school other than professors were often frustrating. I wish that administrators had made more effort to consider ways to improve various aspects of student-administration interactions. For example, when the school was not answering their 24-hour emergency phone number when my roommate was very sick during the first week of school, the school reacted as if they weren't at fault in that situation, and that a call at 2 or 3 in the morning that goes unanswered is not unrealistic. However, a 24-hour emergency phone number implies that it will always be answered, and especially so during late-night hours. When an emergency occurs, there should be no question that students can contact CYA and ask for help. Additionally, the wifi at the school was very poor, which made class periods and working on classwork at school very frustrating. I hope that this can be improved for the next group of students. I do not mean to sound like I did not have an overall positive experience with the school, because I did, but there were just many things that I felt could be improved, and I felt that when potential improvements were brought up, or when student grievances were aired, the school was not adequately receptive.

Couldn't have picked a better program to be a part of

There are so many people I know who studied abroad that loved the place, but struggled with the administration. CYA was very supportive and offered many resources. My experience was excellent because of them.

A life defining experience

This program offered me an exclusive view of both ancient and modern Greeks provided by some of the foremost experts in academia. Beyond that, living in the heart of Athens created many great memories.

Best program

Everything about this program (except for the wifi situation but that's Greece) is everything that someone could want. CYA made me feel at home in a country that wasn't. By the end of the program, I genuinely did not want to leave.

An excellent experience, with a few misadventures

The CYA program was a great, and very greek, experience. The people I met made my time abroad excellent. All of the professors were incredible and enthusiastic about the field the taught. The field trips were all incredible and informative(although I wish there had been a little more downtime). My absolute favorite trip was the optional trip for climbing mount. Olympus. It was an amazing experience, and like none other offered within this program. However, because of the advertising about previous "hiking" in the trip. Many people showed up not knowing what to expect (i know it seems tedious, but if you could be clearer about this in the future it would make everyone's experience much better).
The staff of Dikemes was all extremely helpful at all points of my experience. They almost always knew what was going on and they seemed like a well-oiled machine.
Lunches were good for the most part, but some of them were not. This could be solved by having more than one option for dining. I don't think this is necessarily a problem that can be solved now, but if the program has any interest in getting bigger this is a necessity.
The CYA community and the people (and cats) around it made my study abroad experience one I will never forget.

Fall semester In Athens

CYA was an incredible cultural immersion experience. The faculty were wonderful, and many understood that students were coming from various backgrounds with different levels of prior knowledge. However, a few professors expected that the majority of students had backgrounds in the subject, which could be difficult at times if you did not choose your classes well. The organized field trips, especially the optional trips and smaller class trips, were phenomenal. They helped me see parts of Greece that I never would have found otherwise. The administrative staff were always very helpful on the school-wide trips. The medical system is quite difficult to adjust to if you experience major medical problems while away, and the staff are not as understanding as one would expect. Some students had fantastic, supportive relationships with the administrative staff, while others did not.

Thoughts on CYA

If you're going for academic challenge, be very careful and do your research before signing up for classes. The language classes, from my experience and what I heard from others, tend to be fairly challenging, with the exception of Beginning Modern Greek (not the accelerated class). I took Advanced Latin and Beginning Ancient Greek, and spent a good deal of time on the homework. Diamant, Stewart, and Ozturk all teach high-level humanities classes.
My residential experience was different than most, since I was a homestay. It was a 40 minute to one hour commute each way, which was pretty typical of the homestays. This disadvantage, while decided, I believe is outweighed by other benefits. The experience of living in a Greek household is absolutely priceless, and the only way for CYA students to truly experience the culture of another country. Breakfast and dinner are provided, and the host families go above and beyond to make the students feel welcome.
There isn't really any community space for the students, and aren't a lot of planned social get-togethers. A lot of bonding does occur during the field trips, however. Beyond these trips, socializing is pretty much left to the impetus of the students themselves. There are extracurricular activities, such as cooking classes and marble carving, but I did not participate in any of these.
One thing stands out that really irked me. I had my backpack stolen halfway through the year, and inside was a library book. When I went to get my deposit at the end of the year, they took 15 euro out to replace the book. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth, given that the book was stolen, not lost due to some stupidity on my part.
In terms of "cultural immersion," there were chances to volunteer in the community as well internships, and certain classes went out and about Athens, but there weren't many opportunities to interact with Greeks (aside from the administration) on a casual basis through CYA.
Overall, I found the social scene difficult, given that I'm more introverted and a practicing Catholic. I also missed being at Notre Dame. It was a pretty mixed bag. I learned many lessons had some wonderful experiences, but there were a lot of hard times as well.I put a 7 for my overall experience to describe my entire experience, including things within and outside of CYA's control. If you are a regular college student looking for adventure, then you probably will enjoy your time. On a final note, Athens is not a particularly pretty city. There is plenty to do, but aesthetically depressing. Greece itself is unbelievably gorgeous, and you will fall in love with Delphi, Crete, and the Peloponnese. There are no words to describe those places. But Athens... it's kind of tough. Do not come expecting to be in a Rome or a Paris. I recommend spending time in Orthodox churches to get your fill of beauty while you're in the city.

Best experience yet

CYA was an amazing experience. The field trips were amazing, although more student input would have been appreciated in planning, i.e, breaks, lunches, sites. The neighborhood was perfect. Technical issues could've been much better such as wifi and emergency phone access. Also it would have been helpful to have better library hours maybe even weekend ones given the libraries around town aren't open too late. Nadia always sent out a newsletter with events happening around town so it was impossible to be bored. There is always something going on and Jennifer and Nadia are always willing to help you find something, really amazing people.

Highly recommend CYA

The CYA experience was very special to me. From the very first week I felt comfortable and safe. The staff and faculty were welcoming and helpful in answering all my questions throughout the program. I really liked how we were placed in apartments all within the neighborhood of Pangrati. Pangrati was truly the best location. Everything you could need was close by including numerous tavernas, bars, shops, food markets, and cafes. Most places in Athens were within a half hour walking distance and the bus stops were close. Plus being next to the Panatheniac Stadium was fun for events like the Athens marathon and class based activities. This was also the first time in my college career that I was able to really get close to the professors. They really do care about your whole experience in Greece. My favorite part was that I was learning about the culture, the people, and their history and I could take things from the classroom and see it with my own eyes walking around the city, meeting people, or on site. I know I will be in touch with the professors. Additionally, I really appreciated the long weekends for personal travel but also more time to see Athens. The overnight field trips to Delphi, Crete and the Peloponnese were very exciting and certainly worthwhile. I also found a great love for the Greek culture, it is unlike other places in Europe and that really did show. I already miss my CYA family and friends and can't wait to return to Athens!

CYA Fall 2017

At first I was going to write Athens Fall 2017, but CYA is not like most study abroad programs, in that it incorporates field trips to different regions of Greece, exposing the students to the regional histories and cultures. In addition to the three field trips incorporated into the curriculum are multiple optional field trips ranging from a day trip to nearby sites, an overnight trip to hike Mount Olympus, and get aways for the entire weekend to places like Cyprus or Andros. As a student you meet other students from across the United States and local Greeks. Together you become part of the neighborhood, moving past being just tourists. You find your go to coffee shop, and make friends with the workers at the supermarkets, bars, and restaurants you frequent. CYA wants its students to be immersed in Greek culture and the abroad experience. There are many opportunities to go and explore the city and other countries. The professors are amazing, doing everything they can to provide a wonderful learning environment, and to help the students gain a better understanding of Greece. They're great to go to for suggestions and questions.

CYA experience

A great program for seeing Greece, but very long field trips that are centered around specific courses, so if you are not in one of those courses, the field trip may not be of interest to you. Facilities were nice and they provided great meals. However, wifi in the academic buildings were inconsistent making it frustrating to work on class assignments there. Apartments were nice and very conveniently located to the campus buildings and to restaurants and supermarkets.

Great experience

My experience at CYA was amazing! I learned so much about the culture both past and present of Greece. This was truly a great program! The classes were very interesting and the professors really knew their subjects.

Great option

I highly recommend this program and I also suggest studying for the full year if you can because the semester goes by so fast. It also gives you the option to travel between semesters when you don’t have to worry about homework. The three day weekends are also a huge plus.

CYA exceeded my expectations

CYA is such an amazing experience. I feel so lucky to have been able to study abroad in Athens! CYA has really helped me to expand my horizons easily with the fact that Greeks love students who are studying abroad. My expectations for coming to Athens were high, and CYA managed to exceed those expectations within the first week I was here. I feel so #blessed to be able to say that I was a part of the CYA experience.

CYA is perfect for you!

CYA offers amazing opportunities and a great community. I loved my classes and Pangrati. The trips we did were amazing. Bad wifi, but overall an amazing time and experience. I'll miss it. CYA was the perfect one for me.

CYA fall 2017

I had a wonderful time studying abroad this semester. I have grown so much as a person since coming here to Greece and I'm truly going to miss the people and the lifestyle. I know I'll be back one day.

CYA

My experience abroad was not always super easy but CYA did help me out a lot. Being able to take classes that are structured like classes from home in a small, tight community made me feel at home in Athens.

I won't say I'm in love (but I am!)

CYA was the most amazing experience. They have the best professors that are brilliant, funny and kind as well as an incredibly supportive staff. The field trips we went on enabled me to see more of Greece than I thought I could and I am eternally grateful. Would recommend this program to anyone and everyone, 10/10!

Life changing experience

Studying at CYA has been the most incredible experience I've ever had. I do think that courses should be counted as 4-credit classes based on the amount of course work and readings, but I loved Greece.

A fully-rounded experience

My experience abroad in Greece with CYA has been nothing short of wonderful. I chose CYA's program because of the experiential, hands-on learning that it claimed to provide, and I was not disappointed. All of their professors were experts in their field, and they accompanied us to off-site classes, and even week-long field trips; their lectures on-site truly enhanced the learning experience. Being able to see everything we were learning about in person was truly a game-changer. Not only was it a great place to grow academically, CYA also encourages you to fully understand Greek culture, giving out recommendations for activities to do and places to go. They will help you find opportunities for things you are interested in, whether it be sports, volunteering, or marble carving. My experience here has been fulfilling and CYA has helped facilitate that.