CLI Immersion Program - Learn Chinese in China
Chinese Language Institute (CLI) Header Image Chinese Language Institute (CLI) Header Image

CLI Immersion Program - Learn Chinese in China

Immersion works!

I studied in the immersion program at CLI for your weeks. When I arrived, my Chinese was very poor; I had only studied with an app and knew some vocabulary and could make a couple of sentences. In those four weeks at CLI, my vocabulary has grown so much, and because I was around Chinese speaking people at lunch as well, my listening skills got a lot better. I can highly recommend this school as well as their immersion program!

I didnt want to leave!

I attended CLI for 5 weeks and I truly loved every minute! Everyone from the Teachers, to the staff were fantastic! Everyone was very accommodating, warm, friendly and supportive of me learning Mandarin. Guilin was beautiful, even though it was winter and some times cold & rainy, it was beautiful. I loved the city, the local people were very nice and polite. The local food was fantastic and very, very inexpensive. The food was so good I am now a snob when in comes to Chinese food. Even the lunch's that the "Aunties" cook each weekday at CLI are amazing!
I actually hated to leave! I will be going back!

A phenomenal experience

The one-on-one teaching is an excellent resources. My comprehensive teacher identified my primary difficulty as pertaining to grammar. Currently preparing for the HSK 4 and hope to return to CLI in 2017 for work on the HSK 5. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can not speak highly enough of the teachers and administration. Looking forward to my next month in Guilin.

Amazing experience

My 3 children ages 12, 10, & 8 attended CLI this summer for 2 weeks and we all had an outstanding time at CLI. They all wanted to stay longer and we will definitely return! The teachers, interns, and administrative staff were excellent. They picked us up at the airport, arranged an apartment, showed us where to eat & shop, set up classes (dance/soccer) in the local community, and assisted us in planning sightseeing in the region. It truly was an immersion experience that we won't forget!

Probably the best Chinese language program in all of China

I have done two other intense Chinese language study programs in China - one in Beijing and one in north-east China. Both were very good. However, CLI's program in Guilin was the best in every respect. The management of the program is excellent: the admissions process is smooth and professional. The school arranges for someone to meet you at the airport or train station on arrival, and at the end of your program arranges a taxi for you back to the airport. The school is a fun, welcoming place! The teachers are excellent, well-qualified and very professional. Essentially every evening and every weekend there are cultural activities. Guilin is a lovely city and surrounding it is some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

I will return to CLI again this summer and am looking forward to the experience.

Life changing

One of my best experiences with language learning. At first I was somewhat apprehensive but CLI had us well prepared before departure. I enjoyed myself greatly and the staff made sure our trip was uneventful. We went to multiple sites, interacted with students from various backgrounds and had time for daily lessons.

A Much-Needed

I was very impressed with CLI from beginning to end. They guide you through the entire process and make it all very simple. Whether you are a veteran traveler or new to the whole concept of international exploration, CLI will have you covered. In terms of language training, I think CLI has nearly perfected the process. They provide one-on-one training with native speakers, many of whom have years of experience. Each instructor then tailors the process in adapting to the unique needs of each student. I learned more studying three weeks at CLI than I did in an entire semester at university. I could not recommend them more.

CLI program review

Chinese Language Institute is the best school for learning Mandarin that I can imagine. In just four months there I experienced more progress in my language skills than I had even hoped for, and through the many immersion opportunities in the community and trips that CLI organizes, I left with a wealth of meaningful experiences and a deepr appreciation of the culture and people. The one-on-one model that CLI uses is a high performance learning machine that you can fine tune to your own style and learning needs that allows your language learning to progress to your maximum potential.

CLI is like a high performance custom learning machine. 1 on 1 instruction from experienced teachers means you learn at your own rate in the manner most effective and efficient for you.

I chose to live in an apartment with two native Chinese grad students and could not have been happier with the immersion experience that afforded me.

The program does an excellent job exposing you to Chinese culture and taking you into the community to engage with the people and experience the rich culture first hand.

The program is well run with a no-nonsense managerial style. If you ever have any issues the program will address them promptly.

I never felt unsafe.

Social Life:
In Guilin you can find all the same things (bars, cafes, restuarants, parks, etc.) that you can find in a major city but with a smaller community feel.

A Chance for Real Cultural Immersion

Summer of 2010 I had the opportunity to visit Guilin. The classes, my host family, and summer internship all had the local feel needed to gain insight into the Chinese culture and day to day life. Guilin is a beautiful city and offers tourists as well as locals a chance to visit the natural surroundings that other Chinese cities cannot offer. CLI was readily available to help and catered your experience to whatever you wanted to learn or see.

I felt very safe in my neighborhood. There was a local pre-school near my host family and kids walked home in groups all the time.

Social Life:
Tons of places to shop and eat late at night. CLI would plan weekend trips or provide trip details/information if you wanted to travel or plan a night out.

A very accomodating study abroad experience.

CLI works with students to identify what the student expects from a China Study Abroad program, and will provide the appropriate lessons and immersion experiences. Hence, students have the freedom to take advantage of a very unique study abroad experience in the beautiful city of Guilin.

I thought the staff was excellent, very willing to work with students to deliver lessons best suited for one's experience in China.

Clean, comfortable, and a very convenient location in Guilin!

Students were able to take advantage of frequent access to teachers, and the school planned many field trips outside of the school to the countryside around Guilin and Yangshuo.

Very helpful and accomodating.

Never felt unsafe.

Guilin is a fun city.

A Change of Perspective

My plan had always been to study abroad for a semester in Ireland or the UK. And up until the last week of the deadline that was going to be the case. But then someone at the Virginia Tech study abroad office told me to look into CLI and I was immediately struck by the appeal. I took the plunge into a language and culture that was completely unfamiliar to me. CLI did not disappoint. My semester spent abroad in China completely changed my outlook on life because I began to see two completely different perspectives. The teachers at CLI not only taught me the basics on the language, they opened up on Chinese society which puzzled and wondered me all at once. The friends that I met, the knowledge that I acquired, and the perspective I gained while living in Guilin have completely changed my life for the better.

The one on one time with CLI teachers were an invaluable tool and allowed me to progress in the language far more than I did in a classroom setting at Virginia Tech.

I always felt safe and at home in my one person dorm. It was far better than any dorm I stayed in back in the States.

CLI made a huge emphasis in learning outside of the classroom in addition to inside the classroom. There were two excursions that were included in my semester abroad and I never missed a chance to explore around Guilin and beyond. These experiences of traveling around China and getting a firsthand look on the culture was the most memorable part of my semester abroad.

I cannot say enough regarding the CLI staff. Starting with Bradford and Robbie and on down; I was always comfortable and included on sorts of events at CLI. Every teacher, whether my own or not, treated me like family.

There was never a time in Guilin or China where I felt unsafe.

Social Life:
I had most everything that I would use back in America including restaurants, bars, movie theaters, gym, and basketball courts.

Every night I stare at the map of Guilin on my bedroom wall, waiting for the chance to go back.

I honestly went into a fun withdrawal when I came back to the States after a semester in Guilin. In four months, I picked up more Mandarin than I ever thought possible, shattering my initial expectations, and I made friendships that surpassed distance and culture. Choosing to live with a homestay family was the decision I am most proud of. I ate the most native food that you can't find anywhere else and had the privilege of getting to know my homestay mom deeply. We had many talks after dinner about family, China's history, and Guilin - half of which I understood. But it was nonetheless a beautiful experience. CLI was truly a family, inside and outside the building. The teachers worked hard to cater to the things I wanted to learn and often went beyond their regular requirements to help me understand. Meeting the diverse students was another rewarding experience - people from Germany, France, Spain, Australia, the United States, and Tahiti. it was great learning, growing, and making mistakes together. It's been a year and half since I came back and I still miss Guilin dearly. I know reviews like this are common but believe me when I say that going to Guilin will be a decision that you will treasure.

wonderful teachers, they were always prepared for class with material that I specifically asked for, always pushing me while encouraging me. Learning from the teachers not only came from within the CLI building but also from outside its walls while eating travelling together.

The best experience of my trip was living with my homestay family. My homestay mother truly became my second mom while I lived in the house and we became great friends. Also ate the best native Chinese food that you can't find in the States.

CLI helped connect me to many opportunities that immersed me into the culture - through CLI, I tutored a middle school student and had the chance to meet the family and eat with them as well. Tutoring also required me to ride the local bus and truly experience everyday life of Guilin, China

always quick and responsive to my needs (I didn't have very many)

I was very safe the entire trip.

Social Life:
Many students at CLI who live in the school building and nearby, don't have to worry about being lonely.

CLI is a top-notch language and culture immersion experience unlike any other in China.

CLI is the solution to the dry, impersonal, often bureaucratic language learning offered in big-city universities in China. In fact, CLI was founded by two American brothers with the specific intention of shifting the learning focus to immersion rather than impersonal classtime drilling. Though learning a language anywhere must incorporate "hitting the books", CLI strikes the perfect balance of "fun" learning by immersion, while still covering the fundamentals and mechanics. And it does this all with one-on-one attention for each student. CLI is a 24/7 personal learning experience. It's not a language classroom. And this is why it stands out above all other Chinese language learning institutions in China.

If the individual student is highly motivated (and close to all students who come to CLI are) the flexible academic system is perfect. So I give an A+ score. However, for the lazier breed of student, this flexibility can be hurtful because there's no clear top-down system of motivation imposed by CLI.

Relative to other dorm-style living arrangements in China, the living situation at CLI is excellent, definitely top notch. But in terms of international standard, there's definitely room for improvement, particularly in terms of western showers and laundry driers.

Across all of China, CLI is uniquely positioned for the most rewarding immersion experience. But students should be pushed more to immerse themselves, because it is possible to get caught in the CLI "foreigner trap" in which students only spend time with other students. Perhaps CLI could do more to arrange "immersive" activities.

Scheduling is organized and professional.

All of mainland China is very safe in relation to the West. Violent crime in China is low, particularly against foreigners.

Social Life:
It's tough to hit the perfect balance between study and play, but Guilin comes close. There's enough to do in the city to keep you entertained, but not so much that you'll be out every night. If you're into the club scene, you'll have your pick. But Chinese clubs are very different than western ones, and may not be your cup of tea. They are probably the number one place to meet local youths. As for pubs and bars, there are a number of western-style ones all around town, and they're excellent places to hang out and get some nostalgic western comfort food.

Learning Chinese in Guilin

My nearly three month immersion at CLI was everything I had hoped for. Having done some great language immersion programs throughout the world I am always critical when signing up for a new one. Nonetheless, CLI truly exceeded my expectations. The teaching staff is fantastic and really set you up with all the tools you need to advance (and advance quickly) in learning Chinese. One of the gems of CLI is its location. Guilin is such a small and safe city I would often wonder around for hours on foot exploring the city and practicing my Chinese in every possible scenario.
I would highly recommend my experience at CLI and I hope to return to continue where I left off next summer.

The vast majority of CLI's teaching staff is fantastic teachers that are passionate about teaching Mandarin to foreigners. In addition, there is a great balance between traditional classroom style teaching and hands-on learning around Guilin. I thought it was particularly effective when my teachers would bring me around Guilin after we completed a unit. For example, after we covered relevant vocabulary for food and a restaurant, my teacher would bring me to a restaurant where I had to order for the both of us. This practical teaching really helped me quickly learn Chinese.

The living conditions are simple but definitely comfortable. When I return to Guilin I will definitely opt to stay with Chinese roommates. Nonetheless, I enjoyed my stay in the CLI building. It was extremely convenient and easy to get classes since they are hosted in the same building. The one downside to staying at CLI was it was often difficult to get away from English as much as I tried.

Guilin is a beautiful city and a great place to learn Mandarin. Virtually everyone I met around the city was friendly and interested in helping me with my Chinese and practicing. Likewise, the CLI staff is extremely patient and willing to repeat a question several times and perhaps ask a different way if necessary. The CLI experience is truly an authentic immersion.

The CLI Administration is fantastic and overly accommodating. Upon arrive to Guilin I wanted to change my schedule and adjust my program of study slightly. They began work immediately and by the first day of classes (several days after I arrived) everything was ready. In addition, it's evident that the administration if fully invested in this program. They are always accessible and positive.

I thought Guilin was very safe. I always traveled by foot and felt comfortable in every part of the city.

Social Life:
As a small city there isn't too much to do but I definitely was still able to keep busy during my couple months in Guilin. There are a couple dance clubs in the city and CLI always has rotating activities.

A wonderful opportunity to learn Chinese in a supportive and fun environment

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at CLI and only wish it had been longer. The staff and students were all wonderful, and everyone did their upmost to make sure my experience was a positive one. I would highly recommend CLI to anyone considering studying Chinese in china.

I was really pleased with the pace and content of the lessons- as I wasn't there very long I wanted to learn as much as possible and really felt that the teachers helped me do that.

The room was very comfortable and I had everything I needed for a two-week stay.

I had hoped that the might have been a little bit more organised by the school. My teachers, especially fei fei who took us for Chinese massages and to eat Chinese food, were excellent at filling me in on Chinese culture, and i was lucky enough to be there for the yangshuo trip whichcwas fantastic, but there didn't seem to be too much on a school level-except for the weekly Chinese culture class. I had hoped for instance that the film night would have been a Chinese film and a chance to learn a bit about Chinese cinema.

Everything ran incredibly smoothly and I'm so impressed by the way the program is administered to such a high standard

I never felt unsafe at CLI, on the contrary I felt that there were lots of people around ready to help if you needed anything

Social Life:
I loved the social life at CLI and made some good friends, but a lot of it did seem to be organised by individuals rather than the school.

My time at CLI was a refreshing and enriching experience that will stand as a highlight of my 2 years in China.

I would strongly recommend CLI to anyone interested in studying Chinese. The staff and teachers are all enthusiastic to make you feel like a special guest in their family. The city of Guilin provides a unique blend of historical and modern Chinese culture, standing apart from the East Coast image that is projected onto all of China. Lastly, the actually classes are very personal and can be easily oriented towards areas where you need practice.

I really liked the small classes. The teachers were very fun, and their willingness to talk/work/play with us outside of class made for a comfortable learning environment. One of the teachers we had, however, did not do a good job of adjusting to our specific needs as students who had already been living in China for a year. In other words, we already knew the basics of Chinese culture and practical Chinese, but since that is what he was used to teaching, he seemed to not adjust with new students.

The rooms were fantastic, the building was clean and well ordered, and the service was phenomenal.

I really enjoyed the extra activities offered by CLI. Also, the teachers were enthusiastic about just showing us the daily life of Guilin - drinking milk tea and playing tennis.

After spending a year in rural China, it was a breath of fresh air to deal with such efficient and effective people.

Perfectly safe.

Social Life:
The social life was great. It was very easy to meet some new people, hang out, and exchange ideas. It was only frustrating when we wanted to play ping-pong or majiang, and there was a class in the game room.

Wonderful and Unique Chinese Study Abroad

CLI is a great and unique program and you are guaranteed to improve your Chinese language skills if you attend. The community at CLI is close-knit and friendly. And its location in Guilin is great for immersing yourself in Chinese culture. Guilin is a smaller city and the foreigner population is much smaller than in Beijing or Shanghai, so there are plenty of opportunities to interact with Chinese culture and use what you learn first hand.

Classes were challenging, and teachers will helpful, knowledgeable, and knew how to teacher foreigners.

Rooms were clean, comfortable and well stocked.

Teachers are all Chinese nationals and CLI organized different excursion on a regular basis.

Administrators were wonderful! Efficient, friendly, professional and quick to respond.

CLIs facilities are locked at night and there are several entrance codes needed to gain full access.

Social Life:
The community at CLI is relatively small and close-knit, which is great. There are plenty of common areas at CLIs facilities so there are lots of places to hang out.

Great environment, great people, great experience

I really enjoyed the fact that you lived and studied in the same cozy building. You don't just go to class and go home. You go to class, hang out with your teachers and classmates, meet lots of other people from all over the world who are also eager to practice their Chinese, and explore the city and travel together. Accommodations are very comfortable. Everyone is super helpful. Rob is an awesome guy.

Social Life:
So many interesting people from all over the world. Made a lot of friends very quickly.

The Chinese Language Institute is great!

The Chinese Language Institute is probably the best Chinese Language School in China. Three separate instructors, Western person ownership and administration.

Very professional language service for excellent price.

My stay at CLI was definitely worth it. The language instruction was excellent and in depth and it was very affordable. Also, staying at CLI made my experience basically stress-free.

Where else can you get complete Mandarin Immersion?

CLI’s greatest strength is the near complete immersion it can provide through the one-on-one lessons and
social activities. The individual lessons meant that I was able to tailor the syllabus to exactly what I wanted
to learn, so I could cover a wide variety of topics in the rather short 2 weeks I was at CLI, with the freedom
of no textbook. I liked how I was able to use the Mandarin I learnt almost immediately after class due to
CLI’s proximity to Guilin’s everyday life. It would have been good to stay longer with more time.

One-to-one lessons are unique as they were tailored exactly to how I wanted. I don't know of many other places which offer this at such competitive prices!

Very good facilities and rooms in convenient location of Guilin. It's not in the centre of the city but that is easily accessible by the buses leaving nearby. The rooms have ensuite and are v. comfortable.

In the 2 weeks I learnt more Mandarin than I did in a year of evening classes at university. I ensured the lessons were completely in Mandarin which means you can be near to completely immersed.

Very easy to arrange and contact Nancy, the Admissions Director. She answered all my questions and gave many tips.

Never had any problems safety wise in Guilin.

Social Life:
Activities organised almost every evening e.g badminton, volleyball, KTV trips & weekend trips to places outside of Guilin e.g Yangshuo. Of course, easy to do your own thing once you get orientated.

The most effective and pleasurable way of really learning Mandarin and experiencing a genuine Chinese culture.

CLI is a true immersion in language and culture. Once with CLI, one would have to try hard to avoid learning Mandarin or experiencing a genuine Chinese culture. Before coming to CLI I researched several other courses throughout China (Beijing, Shanghai, Kunming, Qingdao, Dalian etc). CLI is in a completely different level. It's not just a course or program, it's a great experience.

Learning Mandarin: I was provided with quality teachers and completely customizable classes (adapted to my objectives, schedule, level of commitment etc)

Housing: Total peace of mind. CLI offered me very flexible housing options, such as living on/off campus, with/without local flatmate. My housing experience was seamless. I didn't have to worry about any of the thousands of small issues that one faces when looking for housing on their own, such as being ripped off by brokers, wi-fi, mean landlords etc. Just tell CLI what you need and they'll provide.

Cultural Immersion: Hanging out with the teachers outside the classroom and living with local students are unique differentials offered by CLI. I had the option of practicing Mandarin during 100% of my 'awake' hours. I had dinners in the home of teachers and their local friends, spent a weekend with one of the teacher's family in the country-side and traveled with locals to different cities in China. One would have to try hard to avoid a deep cultural immersion.

Quality teachers and completely customizable classes (adaptable to your objectives, schedule, teacher preferences etc)

In one word: Peace of mind. CLI offers very flexible options (living on/off campus, with/without local flatmate) and total support. My housing experience was seamless. I didn't have to worry about any of the thousands of small issues that one faces when looking for housing on their own, such as being ripped off by brokers, wi-fi, mean landlords etc. Just tell CLI what you need and they'll provide.

Very supportive in everything: visa, payment method, travel bureaucracy, student cards etc etc. It felt like everyone in the administration was accessible 24hs, providing personalized support. Again, seamless.

CLI thinks of everything and provides insurance.
Just be careful crossing the streets.

Social Life:

Ready to embark on the experience of your lifetime?

CLI provided me with one of the best experiences of my life, and certainly the best travel, cultural, and learning experiences. I would recommend CLI and their program to anyone who is interested in learning and immersing themselves in Chinese language and culture.

I was part of a small three student group and academics were clearly our priority on our three week trip. Each and every experience offered a learning opportunity. I can think of no better way to learn Chinese than to tour with this organization who puts so much detail and focus into Chinese language and culture immersion.

The dorm I stayed in at Guanxi was excellent. Perfectly safe location and close to so many restaurants and shops. We woke up to the most beautiful view of the mountains each morning in Guilin! There wasn't wifi available, but it was close to many wifi cafes.
The hostels we stayed in in Yangshuo, Shanghai, and Beijing were also perfect, much nicer than many hotels I've ever stayed in!
My living situation was always safe and comfortable, and any additional concerns I had were heard and promptly taken care of by CLI staff.

Seeing four diverse cities in China was a cultural immersion dream come true. I felt much less like a tourist being with this group as we were led through China by true residents. This program truly immerses its students into Chinese culture every single day with every experience.

I could go on and on about how amazing the administrators of this program are, but to put it simply: this program wouldn't be the outstanding one it is without its exceptional administrators.

I never felt like my security was at risk on this trip. My belongings and the facilities we visited always felt very safe. The Chinese people constantly give the impression of genuine niceness, which adds to the feeling of safety.

Social Life:
The social life can be a bit of a culture shock in China. You've never seen so many people so obsessed with karaoke bars. That being said, we had an amazing time going out at night in China with the group and always felt included. A good time was ALWAYS had on this tour, day and night!

Great experience

Great people to work with, really go out of their way to make sure your experience is top notch and that you get great value for your money

Never felt unsafe or that CLI employees didn't have a good handle on a situation

Social Life:
Everyone from CLI was fun and friendly. They all have different personalities which allowed students to go and do pretty much anything they were interested socially.

Intellectual

I really loved all the teachers. I thought Guilin was the perfect city for learning Chinese and exploring Chinese culture.