CEA Study Abroad in Paris, France
CEA Study Abroad Header Image CEA Study Abroad Header Image

CEA Study Abroad in Paris, France

Custom program with CEA

Every summer my university offers an internship opportunity in Paris, France, and last year was its first time it used CEA to take care of the program's logistics (e.g., housing, health insurance). Unlike the typical study abroad student, my classmates and I did not take any of the classes that CEA offers in Paris. However, I still feel like the staff treated us like any other student. We traveled with our professor and had class with her instead. CEA was very welcoming to us and let us use one of the classrooms and provided us with everything we needed to hold class. They also booked cultural activities for my entire group, including our professor, and accommodated them to our schedule. For one of the museum visits, we were supposed to have a CEA guide accompany us but he did not show up due to personal matters. However, CEA offered to have him give us a walking tour of Paris at another time for no additional cost (and he even brought us macaroons!). My favorite cultural activity was going to Versailles, not just because it is a wonderful place, but also because of our CEA tour guide, Agathe. She was very knowledgeable about the place and tried to engage us in her explanations. She was pretty funny as well.

My favorite part about CEA was our housing arrangements. First of all, before departure to Paris, CEA informed my university that my classmates and I would probably be placed in different apartments throughout the city (we were nine students in total), and that there would be no TV in the apartment. However, CEA managed to get us all in two apartments in the same apartment building in one of the wealthiest areas of Paris. My apartment also had a view of the Eiffel Tower, and it did come with a TV. The apartment was nicely decorated and it was equipped with everything we needed to live comfortably, from a vacuum cleaner to a rice cooker! CEA also had extra cooking utensils and even hair straighteners that we could request if we needed them. My classmates and I were all very happy with our housing arrangements, they were excellent! They helped us to bond and we became like a family. Our apartments truly felt like home! My apartment had some problems with the bathroom but CEA sent someone over to fix it the following day after we had reported it. Overall, I feel like CEA truly cares about students having very wonderful experiences abroad. And I can tell that they try their best, because I am sure it is very hard to find an apartment with the view of a famous monument and to house an entire group as close as possible.

I do wish, however, that CEA had informed us about cultural activities and events in Paris electronically. They posted at the CEA center a sheet with events going on that week in the city. But because my classmates and I would have class at CEA only once a week we would sometimes forget to take a look at the sheet. I would have also liked to interact more with the CEA staff, but again I did not have as many opportunities because of how little time we spent at the CEA center. It would have been nice to have our contact person in Paris come in to the museum visits with us.

• CEA responded to this review June 27, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Gemma, we are pleased you enjoyed your custom internship abroad experience with us. Thank you for your feedback on better ways to communicate local activities. We are always looking to improve our programming and have shared your thoughts with our staff. -CEA

Unexpected challenges, irreplaceable growth

CEA Paris has exposed me to an vast array of challenges through the duration of my semester abroad, but the accompanying insights into culture, sociology, history (especially of art), novel academic environments, and international consciousness/"citizenship" have been utterly incredible and dually vital to personal growth that I have no doubt would be impossible to replicate elsewhere.

Academics were less intellectually stimulating than I had hoped them to be, yet the content of the courses was an *excellent* gateway nonetheless into Parisian/French culture. Because CEA is an American-based study-abroad provider whose signature courses transfer through University of New Haven with no French university as a liaison, the syllabi were structured very similarly to those I receive in courses at my home institution. The instruction of the courses, however, did not wholly follow the syllabi, and rubrics for grading were distributed in only 1 of my 5 courses, thus leaving grades often ambiguous. Relative to my prior higher-ed academic experiences, course assignments too were disappointing; in 3 of my 5 courses (the two French language courses being the exceptions), I did not feel that assignments were clearly connected to learning objectives and content from lectures but rather more often created "busy work" that merely fell in the same broad genre/field of study in which each respective course was situated. Still, because I was personally motivated to make my learning experiences meaningful, I exerted myself in these assignments and consequently found value in the work—a simple reinforcement of the maxim "it is what you make of it."
I will add that the French courses I took during my studies here—one as an early-start two-week language intensive, the second through the duration of the regular semester—were thoughtfully structured and instructed with much care and patience, both of them *incredibly* helpful to my language acquisition and vital to my survival and exploration here. Now at the semester's end, I am eager to continue independent study of French back home, and I am ecstatic to know that I have reasonable conversational capacity now considering I spoke NO French when I landed in Paris in January.

I lived in two forms of housing during my time here, both set up through CEA. During the early-start language intensive program that preceded the main semester, I lived for 2 weeks in a shared studio apartment; by my own tastes/standards, space was very limited and gave me no privacy, which was an especial challenge with my roommate of the time. During the remainder of the semester, however, I lived in a shared apartment that though moderate in size provided ample space for me and my roommate to follow independent meal and sleep schedules, though more often than not we dined together, studied simultaneously, etc. as the space certainly permitted that too. I chose to have a roommate assigned at random, but "random" frankly seems a crude term to apply to something so well aligned—whatever their methods of matching may be, the CEA staff gave me an *excellent* pairing and thus a great new friendship in the process.

Culturally, I gained ongoing insights and immersion opportunities through my courses at CEA. I think this was the greatest strength of academics in CEA's Paris Program—the integration of field studies, general out-of-classroom adventures, and French culture learning to encourage a deeper level of immersion in the local culture throughout the semester. Beyond academics too, a series of weekend trips, evening excursions, and in-house workshops supplied almost non-stop opportunities to explore the nuances and histories of Paris/France. This spread of activities was incredibly well-prepared and planned by the CEA staff and aided adaptation immensely. A bit sadly, I did not feel as though I had connection to community in Paris, nor did I find myself building relationships with Parisians through the course of the semester, though this is reflective of French social culture and *not* of CEA's immersion programming.

The CEA Paris staff were an immensely helpful and kind team. All my personal experiences with them were highly positive, whether the reason for our interactions was connected to academics, student life, or my own personal life/experiences in the city.

I did not have to consult with CEA to address personal health issues during my semester, though while accompanying a classmate on her hospital visit I was taken aback by the lack of communication given by the hospital staff and challenged by the depth of the language barrier in that setting. In comparison to my campus in the States, Paris (unsurprisingly) requires much more concern for one's safety; thankfully, CEA did equip students well at the semester's start with tips and recommendations for their safety. I was a victim of pickpocketing once and a victim of *attempted* robbery on a separate occasion; despite financial losses and emotional impact, my physical safety was, thankfully, not threatened in either instance.

Through the excursions built into CEA courses and included as weekend activities of the program, there were many times during which I was able to connect more deeply with my peers as we shared very special exploration and discovery experiences in Paris and beyond. Paris/France are beautiful and *fascinating* places, and the people with whom you experience so many "firsts" here are ones with whom you naturally begin to grow closer. Despite the challenge of connecting with the local French people, the sense of community that I see within the student body here at CEA Paris is quite strong, and for that I am very grateful.

Paris itself is a location that I genuinely believe outranks [virtually] all others as a destination for study abroad; as I see it, the simple fact is that few if any other global cities can rival the vastness of its rich history, culture, and modern-day draw. For the ways in which their program has permitted me to access and observe that, CEA has my gratitude without reservations.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Jared, we are delighted that you had such a memorable study abroad experience in Paris. Thank you for providing a thorough account of your time abroad as well as tips for other students to make the most of their own experience overseas. - CEA

Engineering abroad

It was an interesting and difficult experience! I spent a lot of time doing homework but I was still able to explore Paris! CEA Paris is a great staff and always there to help. They took us on many excursions in France and around Europe! I met many new friends and learned a lot about French culture.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Hi, Trent. We’re glad the program provided an adequate balance of academics and engagement with Parisian culture. Thanks for sharing your experience. CEA

Experiences abroad

I learned a lot about myself while studying abroad. I obtained a deeper understanding of the goals I want to achieve in life, and what is truly important to me. I felt surrounded by great people and had a memorable experience!

• CEA responded to this review June 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Jess, happy to hear you had a memorable experience studying abroad with us. Thanks for sharing! - CEA

Going abroad with engineering

Engineering abroad with engineering is very difficult because different schools have different requirements. CEA offered the courses that go with my degree. My only issue that I had with the program here was how some of the professors presented what we needed to know. This however differs from country to country. I have made friends with people from different states that I never would have meet before. Overall study abroad was great, I just wish some of the classes were presented differently.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Hi Lauren. Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We are happy to hear you had a good experience! As you noted, CEA’s course curriculum is aligned with degree requirements. This is done to ensure credits will be accepted by U.S. institutions. - CEA

Something I hadn't expected

I did not expect to go abroad during college, but I am happy that I had the opportunity to with CEA. The program really helped me adjust to French culture through a variety of orientation sessions with this goal, and also the Communication and Global Competence class that for me, was invaluable and really helped me assimilate and understand what was going on here in Paris. The courses were challenging but fair and gave me a reasonable amount of work that still allowed me to enjoy my time abroad. Overall I had a fantastic time.

• CEA responded to this review June 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Nicholas, we are pleased you had a fantastic time studying abroad with us. Thank you for sharing your story. - CEA

The good and the bad

I loved living in Paris but i definitely had some problems with CEA. he sta as a whole were very friendly but the academics were not what i expected. I understand that classes need to be taken seriously, but i thin a lot of teachers forgot we were here to travel and experience a new city. I also felt sometimes that he program treated us like children instead of adults. I loved studying abroad in Paris but I o not think i would do i with CEA again. Mostly because i did not come here to study and that is what i had to do, a lot.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:47 AM

Hello and thanks for sharing! CEA’s programs are academically focused so that students can transfer credits back to their home institution. As with home institutions, it’s important to attend classes regularly to get the most out of the curriculum. While students do have weekends to travel independently, CEA excursions and local activity recommendations help students learn about their host city. - CEA

Discovering my strengths

My experience at CEA was almost exactly like I imagined.

Pros:
-Excursions
-learned a lot about french culture
-improved french
-made amazing friends

Cons:
- would love more diversity among students
-attendance policy

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We are happy the pros you experienced met your expectations. We’d like to learn more about your cons list. Please contact us at ProgramManagement@ceastudyabroad.com with more details.

It will change your life

This program is exactly what you make of it. The staff is wonderful, the professors are incredible. You will learn so much about yourself and the world around you as well as yourself, and this program will absolutely push you to become more culturally integrated than any of the other programs that I originally looked at. If you want a life changing experience that is up to you to fully utilize, with incredible resources; this is the program for you.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Mila, we are delighted to hear you had an amazing experience. We are so proud of our Paris staff and the quality service they provide students. Thanks so much for taking the time to share! - CEA

Review on CEA study abroad program in Paris, France

I felt as though the intensity and rigor of the courses I took did not align with that of the program descriptions I had initially looked at when applying for this program. I actually found the courses to me more intense than anticipated accompanied with more homework, research papers, and presentations than I though. However, the resources provided were beneficial to my courses and the cultural engagement requirement for each class (where students are required to participate in an excursion that pertains to the course material) I found to heighten my comprehension of course content as well as my interest in the Parisian culture. Additionally CEA Paris has an impressive range of professors with real world experience within their disciplines.

The administration here at CEA made every effort to acclimate their students. They did this through formal orientation programs and out of the classroom activities.

Living abroad can be a tricky situation however my living arrangements were very comfortable. In the event of a leaky pipe or power outage, the staff at CEA always responded immediately and helped my roommates and I to fix the situation.

Meal plan was not an option for this program. Paris however has an amazing range of things to eat so I never went hungry. Additionally, upon arrival, CEA staff coached us on where to shop for food, how to read labels, and inexpensive dining options that aligned with our student budgets.

CEA staff made every effort to assist students in connecting with local culture. They did this through arranging housing among other french persons, arranging guest speakers, and arranging a variety of day trips and walking excursions within the city throughout the semester.

I never personally had to see a doctor or go to urgent care while abroad. However my roommates did, and CEA staff were accommodating, discreet, and took the time to follow up multiple times with the students.

I never felt unsafe once while studying in Paris. My housing was in a quite neighborhood, people on the metro were civil, and because I was aware of my surroundings and tried my best to not stick out I was perfectly fine.

Though Paris is an expensive city to live in (like any major city) I found it manageable finance wise to eat, shop, and travel.

Every professor and staff member encouraged me to use and practice my french while abroad. I definitely think my language skills have improved since going abroad.

If i had to do it over again I 100% would. I learned so many practical life lessons that I would have never learned in a traditional classroom. The only thing I would do differently would be to sign up for an entire year abroad!

My abroad travels were certainly worthwhile. I feel as though after living abroad I have a new found confidence as well as a changed global outlook on the world. internship opportunities cultural engagement program engaging and friendly staff

improvements encouragement to travel outside of Paris Larger program size more variety within student population

The only thing I wish I knew before this program would be the level of difficulty of some classes. For me, I knew only a small amount of french before going abroad and the level of french that I took abroad was probably too hard for me (but I managed :) ).

• CEA responded to this review June 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM

Thank you for providing such a thoughtful and comprehensive recount of your experience studying abroad in Paris. We are delighted that you enjoyed our program, the city, and our staff. Best of luck in your future endeavors. - CEA

My semester with CEA

I loved CEA. I felt safe at all times, loved the staff on site, loved the professors, loved the courses I took, and loved the friends I made. They made it easier to assimilate to life in Paris, and someone was always there ready to help. I felt very prepared before I left and supported while I was in Paris. I would 100% recommend CEA.

• CEA responded to this review June 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Kayla, thank you so much for sharing your review of studying abroad in Paris. - CEA

An immersive experience with attentive staff!

CEA made the logistics of studying abroad easy and accessible. Their thorough attention to detail (like helping us through the student visa process, ensuring that our first few days in a new country weren't terrifying, and being there to solve any problem throughout the semester) let me feel safe and free to enjoy my time abroad.

Along with courses tailored to French culture and the city of Paris, CEA also included numerous excursions to city events and trips around the country. These experiences let me understand and enjoy France in a way I'm incredibly grateful for.

The staff at the CEA Paris Center were absolutely lovely! They truly made Paris feel like a home to me, and their interest in our lives/experience made it feel like more than just a school campus.

I so recommend studying abroad with CEA, because you won't be able to craft such an immersive and breathtaking experience anyway else.

Fall 2017 - CEA liberal arts and social sciences

As I'm packing up my bags to return to the U.S., I'm sad my time in Paris with CEA is over. From start to finish, the friendly staff helped welcome me and guide me into making Paris my own city. I had so much fun in my photography and oenology courses. I also improved my writing and speaking skills in French. I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in studying abroad in Paris - the housing is great, location of school is amazing, and so many ways to get as involved as you like!

My semester in Paris

I would recommend CEA to other students looking to go abroad. There were really good options for weekend activities and the staff is very helpful. If I had to do it over again, I might chose a different city. The people that I knew in Rome and Florence seemed to have a lot more fun than us in Paris.

Being openminded

CEA has been a great program for not just living in a new country but being culturally fluent and giving students tool to achieve that. The program was helpful with making sure students had what they needed to succeed.

A Parisian adventure

Overall, my experience was positive. (Sorry, I am going to keep this short because it's hard to type on a french keyboard.) I would recomend studying abroad with CEA to a friend. The most important thing I would do differently is seek out opportunities for social interaction with native french speakers and parisians. That aspect and connection was severly missing from my time at the sorbonne.

We'll always have Paris

The greatest advantage CEA gave me was through my housing. I decided to stay in a homestay, and they made the process flawlessly easy. My family is absolutely wonderful, and they gave me the opportunity to truly immerse myself into French culture and Paris. I have been told by other international students how difficult it can be to figure out all of the logistics for living and studying in France, so I'm thankful to CEA for taking care of most of this beforehand. CEA was always there if I had questions or needed any sort of support. The staff is so lovely!

Learning about the world in Paris

I decided to come to Paris so I could travel to other places in Europe. I expected to hate Paris for all of the touristy stereotypes and seemingly abundant shopping. I expected to mostly interact with Americans and pretentious French people. That could not be further from what I actually experienced. I met people from all over the world, literally every continent except Antartica. I learned so much about not only France but the entire world, and how I fit into it. I did get to travel and experience a lot outside of Paris, which CEA helped facilitate, but I wanted to stay in Paris and discover the world from my district.

CEA Paris

CEA Paris has been such a wonderful experience. I'm studying at the Sorbonne in the CCFS program, but it was great to go through CEA because they offer so much support. They handle the housing, the insurance, help you through the visa process, etc. It would have been so stressful to do this by myself but CEA made the process easy. In addition to the Sorbonne program I take one elective at CEA it's been a great time! Lovely, helpful staff and a wonderful environment! Thanks CEA!

Livin in Paris

I loved studying in with this program. I definitely learned a lot about living in Paris, and how to immerse myself into a culture that I do not identify with normally. I highly recommend coming to study in Paris an with CEA. They help you assimilate to the culture and the way of life in Paris, as well as how do things such as not get pick pocketed. Thank you CEA for being awesome!

Challenging but amazing

CEA Study Abroad was great! My classes were more challenging than I expected, but only in the sense that they pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Every week my classes brought me to a new place in the city, to places I never would have visited otherwise. Everyone who works at CEA is so nice and helpful, and I always felt comfortable talking to them about my concerns. Don't come to CEA expecting to breeze through the semester without any effort, come to learn so much while still having the best experience of your life!

A glimpse of Paris

Overall my experience was very positive, though there were some down sides as would be expected. In terms of the positives, I really enjoyed my classes. I found them very interesting and a good way to learn about french culture in an academic setting. I also enjoyed the activities that were associated with each, as they were a fun but educational way to get out of the classroom. In particular, I like the Salon de Vignerons and the Salon d'Agriculture that my wine class visited, as they were really things that I would not have otherwise visited. However, I did feel that for some of the Oenology field trips we went to places that were a little out of the price range of students. I think I would have rather visited places where I could afford to taste the food. As well, for my film class, I wish we had done more excursions.
Another positive part of my experience was the excursions organized for all the CEA students. I found these fun and very interesting.
One negative note I would like to add is that I would not recommend a host family for all students. I would make it clear that there are differences between host families from CEA and those for other programs. I think that the host family experience was less personal and a bit more distant than I was expecting.

Absolutely incredible and highly recommended

I loved my experience in Paris with CEA so much. It was incredible. They provided us with everything we need to survive here but also didn't doctor or baby us. I liked that a lot. However, I had very little opportunity to get to know french students my age, or any age since I was with all Americans. I will miss Paris so much. My heart will always belong here. And CEA helped with that.

A semester of experiential and intentional learning

My semester studying at the CEA Paris Center was whole. By that I mean that I had a full experience of learning, exploring, and growth. I learned so much about people around the world, about my field of study and what I want to do in my life, and about myself. CEA gave me all of the tools to know Paris and helped me process all that I was experiencing. They especially helped me take what I learned from my study abroad experience and apply it to how I'm going to live afterwards. Their approach to experiential learning is incredibly rich and this encouraged me to become a learner in life outside of school. My classes were challenging but through them I got to know the history and lifestyle of Paris. In the end, I know that this experience was an investment for my future. I can't recommend studying abroad with CEA enough!

My year in Paris

I had an incredible experience studying abroad in Paris over the academic year. It was the best experience and decision of my life. I personally enjoyed CEA and thought that the administration, professors were extremely good, and the pre-arranged activities were enjoyable. I have minimal complaints about the program as a whole, and will recommend CEA to future study abroad students when I return to the United States.