CEA in Study Abroad San Jose, Costa Rica
CEA Header Image CEA Header Image

CEA in Study Abroad San Jose, Costa Rica

Pura vida Costa Rica

I studied abroad with CEA in San Jose, Costa Rica from Jan-April 2013. Not only did I have an amazing time with my fellow international students, I also felt very supported in my endeavors to travel solo, which was very important to me. My classes were extremely interesting and more relevant to my interests than most of the classes I take at my home university. I absolutely loved my host family and so did everyone I spoke to in the CEA program. Besides all the regular factors of daily living being very well-executed, I was extremely impressed with CEA's offers for career development. There were workshops, writing opportunities (I worked as a mobile journalist while abroad), and the relationships I've formed with my professors and program directors are still mutually beneficial, two years later. I am a unique case, having a profound interest in pursuing international education as a career, but even if a student just wants to have some fun and take some classes in a beautiful location, they could do no better than CEA San Jose.

Summer One Month Intensive Spanish Study

I am so glad that I went with CEA. The staff was super nice and helpful, and the onsite office was a really great place to go for a nice and comfortable place to hang out or study. I LOVED my home stay family and I met a lot of great people, both locals and internationals. Veritas was a wonderful university and my professor was one of my favorite teachers of all time. I only wish I had stayed longer!

Absolutely Incredible

Studying abroad in San Jose, Costa Rica was a dream come true. I absolutely loved the program- CEA is so organized and had incredible guides- Leo and Maggie- who were so helpful and friendly! I attended Veritas University and took Medical Spanish and absolutely fell in love with the professor and the environment. I lived in a homestay and was so in love with everyone in the family. They all were so welcoming and I still talk to all of them on a pretty frequent basis. Costa Rica is beautiful and I would go back in a heartbeat! If you are trying to decide, DEFINITELY choose this program!

5-Week Dream

Everything about this program exceeded my expectations. I loved the people I met and the places we saw together. We had the freedom to choose what we wanted to do the last few weekends, which was amazing. We all came together like we had known each other for years and travelled together. I still can't believe I got to go zip-lining, do the tarzan swing, go to Caribbean beaches, stay in Panama, visit hot springs, climb volcanoes, and bungee jump! That's not even mentioning the amazing food and culture that was experienced. I would take this trip again if I had the option...5 weeks was not long enough.

Pura Vida Mae

CEA San Jose, Costa Rica is the best option for studying abroad in Costa Rica. When you study through this program you attend a local university which also includes other program providers as well as direct home-university programs. CEA provided the best excursions for the money paid, as well as provided a monthly social event, a monthly pizza party, and consistent emails and updates from the program directors. The CEA facility was beautiful and comforting. Leo, the academic director, was more that willing to provide Spanish tutoring as well as set up different events that would help our Spanish. CEA was incredible and made my study abroad experience everything I needed and wanted.

Every student is required to take at least one Spanish class, which are extremely time consuming. Spanish classes are everyday from 8AM-12PM and the work load is heavy but your Spanish by the end of your stay will be great! Other class options are fun and extremely educational. Universidad Veritas has a well-rounded course selection; they truly understand the meaning of studying abroad. I took Marine Biology which I went on weekend excursions to play in tide pools and snorkel in the ocean. I also took Intercultural Communications which was extremely helpful while being in a different country.

My living situation was my least favorite part of my experience but it was my own fault. I chose the Casa Universidad option, thinking I would be living more independently but I ended up living in a house with a family, a maid and cook, two other American students and five Costa Rican students. I have a couple bad experiences in the house but the family had just gone through a lot so I was understanding. I ended up becoming best friends with one of my American roommates, so I didn't move out of my house. Everyone I knew was extremely happy with their living situation and I would highly suggest choosing the Homestay option. It will improve your Spanish tremendously and allow you to better understand family and social dynamics in Costa Rica.

Costa Rica has a beautiful culture and if you want to be a part of it, then you will be 100% immersed. Be open and make local friends, I wish I had more!

Maggie and Leo are amazing. I got my camera stolen from me and I bought a new one which stopped working and Maggie was more than willing to help me figure out what to do because my Spanish was lackluster. They go above and beyond to be there for you. I love them!

The Pura Vida Experience

I came to Costa Rica with ambition to not only learn but have fun doing it and after a few days I felt right at home. My program was a Spanish intensive 5 week program where I studied in the CEA offices near Veritas University in barrio cordoba. My homestay family was great and always enjoyable. One time I had a button break off of a nice shirt and the mother fixed it for me in 10 minutes which was really nice. I was there during the world cup of all things, which was the best considering how passionate the world is about soccer. If it wasn't for me being there I would have never become the year round soccer fan that I am today. CEA was very helpful in suggesting places to visit or things to do. Maggie and Leo were awesome and even got are entire group free tickets to a local professional soccer game when I inquired about going to a game. Despite being fluent in Spanish my entire life my grammar was never particularly good like it would be with any native speaker. The only negative thing I would have to say about the trip is that my group was not vetted well and did not make much of an effort when it came to learning spanish or cultural immersion. Most of my friends while I was there were study abroad students in other programs. When it comes to going out go there are many touristy bars like hoxton(ladies drink free until midnight Tuesdays) but other bars like la concha (funny name if you know spanish) that have more of a dive bar feel that give you a unique social experience. If there's three things you must do while your there they would be surfing, attend a soccer game, and learn any kind of latin dance(salsa, bachata, latin swing..etc)

Great time!

Overall the program was great. It's hard sometimes to really use your Spanish because so many spoke English, but living with a host family was the best practice ever. Costa Rica was a beautiful experience!

AWESOME Once in lifetime Costa Rica Experience!

I have been researching and trying to figure out how to plan my Costa Rica trip since I was a Freshman in College. I just graduated and May and went abroad in July. I have had a lot of time to research and a lot of time to find the perfect study abroad program; and I found that in CEA. Academics at Veritas University (Costa Rica) is the same across the board, therefore as long as a program uses this institution you will get a great experience. What really makes the study abroad experience is the program that guides your way. CEA encouraged us to make safe, smart decisions and encouraged us to be autonomous in our journey. I appreciate the support and willingness of the CEA staff to help me during my journey and I would recommend anyone studying abroad to study abroad with CEA in Costa Rica!

Best Experience of my Life!!!

I really enjoyed my host family. My host mother was an awesome cook, my host parents were hilarious and I really felt like one of their own children. My on-site directors were young natives who I felt really cared about us and peopel I could relate to. I loved the diversity of the excursions offered in my program that were included in my tuition. We went to the most beautiful places like beaches, volcanos, waterfall, and I felt like it was a dream! I met some the most awesome people and really got to experience life in a different culture.

A summer in San Jose

I loved almost everything about my program! I was in a medical Spanish class that was relevant to my career goals and fun at the same time. It was a little difficult to speak Spanish all the time in San Jose because many people would just use English.

CEA in Costa Rica is the best thing I did in college

Absolutely recommend CEA because they're really well organized and they have a lot of program excursions but also the ability to travel independently. The whole trip was really easy to do..Not like school! One thing to be prepared for ...someone you're with is probably going to be robbed. Secure your things!...even from monkeys.

Also, one great thing is that CEA gets a ton of students from all over the country which I enjoyed.