A woman in Greece A woman in Greece

[Pre-med] Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain

An unforgettable winter experience fit for any pre-med

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Guadalajara, Spain this past winter vacation. Traveling abroad as a pre-med is always difficult, because most study abroad programs do not have classes that pertain to the typical pre-med's classes. However, the Atlantis Project was an opportunity for me to justify traveling abroad by getting the chance to shadow various doctors in multiple specialties. The Atlantis Project also offers programs all throughout the year (Winter, Spring Break, Summer). This is great for someone like me, who has limited availability to take an international trip.

While in Guadalajara, we spent our mornings shadowing physicians of all departments of the hospital. I had the opportunity to shadow in maxillofacial, obstetrics, and general surgery. I was shadowed during multiple surgeries, procedures, and got to see my first natural birth. The physicians at the hospital were so kind and welcoming, even despite the slight language barrier. Most physicians spoke in English with me, and when the physician knew minimal English, I had the chance to practice my Spanish. Our shadowing experience was very well coordinated and helped make our short time in Spain worth-while.

Aside from the numerous hours spent shadowing, I had the chance to experience the culture by exploring the town we were staying in. I met some locals, ate delicious food, and visited some of the most beautiful historical sites. On most nights, the Atlantis Project provided us with dinner at a local restaurant. Each dinner was very well-planned with multiple courses. The food was definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip.

During our program, we also traveled to Toledo, Spain to take a tour of the city. I got to see some of the most beautiful landmarks and try some of the best pastries in Spain. The only thing I would change about my Atlantis Project experience is the length. If I could do it over again, I would have opted for a longer program, because I truly enjoyed it and wanted to spend more time in the beautiful country of Spain. If you are a pre-med student with an interest in traveling while at the same time developing your knowledge about medicine and international healthcare, the Atlantis Project is the program for you!

Best Summer Experience!

This past summer I was accepted to the Atlantis Project and I travelled to Spain and shadowed in Toledo for three weeks and the experience was unforgettable! From the moment the plane touched down until it was time to pack our bags and get to the airport, the AP staff was there helping us out at every step of the way. They were all super helpful and they wanted us to get the most of the program.

I personally shadowed three different specialties over the three weeks (ICU, Pulmonology, and Oncology) and I even had the opportunity to observe two different surgeries (defibrillator placement, cataracts removal). Every day in the hospitals offered something new and interesting!

A typical day was waking up at 7am, breakfast, and arriving at the hospital by bus or on foot for 8am. Then we spent the day shadowing our individual department from 8am-2pm. After that the day was ours to do whatever we saw fit whether it was shopping, eating, exercising, sightseeing, etc. Breakfast was always complimentary in the hostel and four dinners a week were provided for by the AP. The weekends were spent on excursions where we went kayaking, hiking, and exploring some ancient cities and their monuments. The nightlife was also fantastic and it was a great way to relax after a long week at work! I also quickly became great friends with the other students in my group and to this day I still reminisce on all of the memories and good times we've had - reunions to come!

If you have a free summer, want to learn more about medicine, and have a itch to travel I strongly suggest you apply! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Time of your life

The Atlantis Project isn't just a program that allows you to choose from an immense amount of specialties to shadow, but it also gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of Spain. The Atlantis Project took us to places we would've never found on our own and most importantly, our safety was always a priority. The coordinators were also extremely professional and helpful! They showed us Spain like no other study abroad program would while still focusing on the medicine and our future careers as health professionals. I had the chance to network with two medical students, one going to Stanford and the other going to Harvard. They gave us a lot of helpful advice and we even got a chance to meet with them one-on-one. I've completed a substantial amount of programs, but this program is by far my favorite. I encourage everyone to apply!

Atlantis Project review

The 24 days I spent in Spain as a part of the Atlantis Project were hands down the best days of my life. You are surrounded with people you become so close with, so fast because you share common interests, aspirations, and drives. There is a perfect balance of shadowing in the hospital and exploring Spain. You will find yourself building lasting relationships and falling in love with the medical field at the same time. The Atlantis Project gives you an in depth look into medicine and a variety of different specialties, that you just can't find here in the U.S. The Atlantis Project has truly been a life changing experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Almansa, Spain experience

Atlantis Project provides a completely unique experience that makes study abroad worth it for pre-health majors. Most of us don’t have time to go abroad because they don’t offer the kinds of classes we need as part of the programs. Atlantis Project allows us to go abroad and get the experience a study abroad program gives while still helping us with our application for professional school. The program gives you ample opportunity to learn at the hospital and to learn about the culture outside of the hostpital. I was able to shadow a variety of physicians, that I was allowed to help pick, and see an amazing assortment of procedures and techniques. At the same time I also learned about Spanish culture and saw amazing things while there. Atlantis Project was the best month of my life and I wouldn’t change a minute of it.

Inspiring winter break experience

The Atlantis Project gives you the unique ability to completely enrich yourself in another country, from working there to volunteering there to experiencing the culture. Living in Cuenca for 3 weeks over the winter was an enriching edition to my college experience that I highly recommend to any pre-med student. Not only was I able to shadow physician from different specialties, I was able to meet patients and shadow in surgeries. I was a member of the ICU team for a few days, learning patient’s stories, an observer in nearly a dozen surgeries, ranging from cardiac to hernia repair, and interact on ER consults. Not only did these physicians challenge me to apply my own personal knowledge, asking me questions throughout the case(s), but they allowed me to build strong relationships with staff as they explained their journey through medical school and compared international medicine to that in America. I came back to the US with a great understanding of what it meant to be a global doctor, and a new look on different specialties I had not previously interacted with.

Additionally, this program allowed me to completely emerge myself in Spanish culture. From living with a host family in a hostel building to experiencing the vibrant holiday traditions, we were welcomed and embraced. The family welcomed us into their lives, inviting us to their family restaurant and flamenco lessons. More so, we were able to experience New Years Eve within Barcelona, and Three Kings Day, a traditional Spanish holiday, and learn more about the culture abroad. We were allowed to interact with locals and hear their stories as we were recommended to different restaurants, monuments and experiences.

Not only did this experience give me an international experience to share with everyone, this experience taught me so much about what medicine in a global mindset. Additionally, I made friends who I still talk to regularly as we encourage and support each other’s premedical careers.

Winning In Faial Island, Portugal

The unique opportunity of traveling to Faial Island was a revelation of gigantic proportions. During this fellowship I gained clarity on how much the teaching aspect of medicine influences my desire to become a physician. The physicians and hospital personnel helped me to realize how much fun I can have as they taught the various intricacies of their individual crafts. Their impact has instilled a greater dedication in me to gain as much knowledge as possible while keeping it “simple,” so that anyone, regardless of education, language barriers, or socioeconomic backgrounds, will be able to understand the content. Although a language disparity existed, the ability for the Portuguese to simplify complex concepts was impressive.

Best Shadowing Opportunity I Have Ever Had

The Atlantis Project has been the best opportunity I have had for shadowing. I was placed in different departments such as neurology, psychiatry, thoracic surgery, internal medicine and gastroenterology. In these departments I shadowed amazing doctors who showed me so much, I was able to see things first hand and feel like a resident by their side. I wish i could do it again, Spain was amazing! on the weekends we got to travel wherever we wanted to, and they had amazing activities for us to experience aside from shadowing. The coordinators expect you to be very mature and devoted, so they do not require you to go to the hospital to shadow, but you definitely do not want to miss anything! Best experience ever.

Sebastian Garcia (Albacete, Spain Intern 2015)

Life Changing Experience with the Atlantis Project

During the summer following my freshman year of college, I had the opportunity to be a fellow for the Atlantis Project. This life-changing experience taught me many valuable things. From the actual shadowing hospital program to the leisure excursions, the Atlantis Project planned and executed a flawless experience. The biggest thing that I got out of this fellowship was meeting new and amazing people and experiencing healthcare outside of my own country.

what an enriched experience

The Atlantis project not only allowed me and my fellows to shadow and experience a doctors/surgeons daily life was but it also gave us a sense of direction into what we all are looking for and what we are not looking for. Through out the program I was able to pinpoint where in the medical field I would like to follow up on and where I was sure not to. I learned so much and was actually able put my knowledge to use and see how much I actually know. It was overall an amazing experience and I recommend everyone who is interested in the medical field, to go do this program.

Toledo Shadowing

I really enjoyed traveling to Toledo, Spain for this hospital shadowing and cultural immersion program. I was able to spend three weeks in different hospital departments. These included pharmacy, orthopedics, pulmonology, neurosurgery, intervention radiology and intensive care. This clinical exposure allowed me to see a larger variety of specialties than I had at home. My time in Spain gave me a glimpse at public healthcare and a holistic perspective of medicine. This collaboration for the greater good focused on highlighting the integration of unique skill sets and teamwork aspect of medicine. I enjoyed getting to learn from the different healthcare professionals and my fellow students. Overall, the experience provided me with new and diverse perspectives.

It was reassuring to be surrounded by students that all had health interests in common. I made great friends during my stay. The program leaders worked hard to accommodate us all and considered our feedback to make changes for the better!

Pre-Medical Internship in Spain

My time spent shadowing with the Atlantis Project was one of the most beneficial experiences I’ve had as a pre-medical student. I spent an incredible 6 weeks in Spain, during which I was able to see 2 different specialties a week, and each location offered different options. (Neurosurgery was by far my favorite to see!!) The programs were so easy to jump into and provided weekly group excursions to get to see as much of the culture as possible. The differences between European healthcare and what we have in the United States is so very different that I feel like experiencing it is the best way to understand it. The opportunity this program provides is such an amazing resource for students who want to see a broad range of specialties, something that is hard to do in hospitals here. The living situations were very good, the hotels we were in were nice, air conditioned, and either situated in a place that is easy to come and go or had public transportation nearby that was easy to navigate after a few days. This program puts you out of your comfort zone and encourages you to learn and adjust to life in a foreign place, a trait that will help anyone later on! I made the most amazing friends and I would recommend this program to everyone interested in the medical field!

A Wonderful Experience

Through the Atlantis Project, I was able to explore Spain and get to know its rich culture. I spent four weeks in Guadalajara, Spain and two in Albacete, Spain through the Atlantis Project. During my time there, I saw surgeries on people injured from bull runs and the doctor-patient interactions. By going to Spain through the Atlantis Project, I was able to shadow doctors from a variety of different fields and explore what the daily life of a surgeon or doctor in Spain.
The Atlantis Project gave me the ability to see and explore. From being a part of the Atlantis Project, as cliché'd as it sounds, it expanded my worldview and helped me grow in more ways that I could have ever imagined. I learned what it's like to be in a culture different from your own and the ins and outs of Spanish culture. I'm thoroughly grateful that I did the Atlantis Project.

Atlantis Project Shadowing Abroad

The abroad experience with the atlantis project provided me with a cultural immersion of the spanish culture, as my program was in the small town of Toledo and it also allowed me to explore many other cities of Spain. The best part of the experience was the shadowing experience. I was able to shadow 6 different specialties of doctors in just three weeks. Others in my program traveled between different cities of Spain and Portugal, which I would have loved to do if given the time. The excursions that the program provided were fun but there was also no pressure to not go on them if you weren't feeling up to it. Another plus is that the administration took our feedback into consideration during the trip. We had some difficulties with the temperature in our rooms, and we ended up being moved to an air conditioned hotel. Overall this program was great and I would love to do it again.

Pre-med European Internship

This experience was one of the most influential for me both personally and in my career endeavors. I traveled out of the country for the first time and was able to experience a new and fascinating culture. The shadowing opportunities were such an inspiring chance that in this past semester when I really struggled, they were my reason to keep pushing. It gave me sight of the end goal and reminded me why I want to pursue my career. With opportunities that immersed me in the medical field, I was able to compare U.S. healthcare to European healthcare. I was also able to experience adventures like swimming with dolphins, cliff jumping, and observing the bull fights. Nothing can compare to an experience overseas for both personal development and career development. Overall, this internship pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to gain a new independent outlook on life.

Atlantis Project in the Azores

My experience with the Atlantis Project was one of the most enriching experiences in a hospital and clinical environment I ever had. In the shorter term that I was able to experience being alongside healthcare professionals, I was able to visit multiple departments in the hospital, witness a cesarean section, multiple realignment surgeries, pediatric care, and much more. The doctors and nurses I shadowed and spent time with were not only some of the most friendly staff I met, but they also were very knowledgeable and caring about their patients and the students that shadowed in their program. I learned some new things in the techniques I witnessed in surgery, and got to see how some of newer technologies in the cardiac and pulmonary departments were implemented. The guide we also had that helped us adjust to some of the cultural differences was so friendly and knowledgeable as well, and we felt right at home being as close to the hospital as we were. I highly recommend checking out what the Atlantis Project offers and encourage students with all levels of shadowing experience to apply!

Shadow Abroad--And see Spain too!

Of course I was hesitant about paying quite a bit of money for a shadowing experience...but I can honestly say that I have no regrets whatsoever. Pursuing the opportunity presented to me by the Atlantis Project gave me an exposure to clinical settings that I would have had an EXTREMELY hard time trying to receive here in America. After six weeks with the program, I could honestly say that I had fallen in love with surgery and even had some idea about what specialties I might be interested in. So--if you're hesitant, believe me when I say that it was worth every bit!

Spain living

This program was an amazing opportunity. We were able to get an idea of what we will actually be doing while also experiencing European culture first hand. The staff at the hospital were very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. While I was there I saw a variety of different departments and the connections that we made were unbelievable. I would recommend this program to anyone going in the field of healthcare. It will teach you a lot about difference kinds of health care and also about yourself.

Best Medical Exposure Ever

I was an Atlantis Project fellow in July of 2015. I was placed in Faial, an island part of the Azores. During my time in Faial, I was immersed in the culture and had a great amount of exposure in the hospital. Monday-Friday consisted of breakfast at the hospital and then a 5-6 hour day in the a certain department of the hospital. I was able to shadow in Radiology, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine and Surgery, all of which I experienced things I had never in the US. This program allowed me to get a feel of what the medical field was like all while getting to explore a beautiful culture. During our off time I spent a lot of time on the beach and hiking. There were team meals at least 2, sometimes 3, nights a week and this was a time for us to get to know each other and the coordinator that was a local to Faial. Luis, the grounds coordinator, planned many events for us; all of which involved some type of adventure. Whether it was hiking, climbing volcanoes, or whale watching there was much fun to be had. My overall experience as a fellow of the Atlantis Project was great and I am sure it will be beneficial to me when applying to medical schools.

Worth it!

At first it seemed kind of unorganized because a lot of things were unclear. But I understand it is harder since they are located elsewhere and the fellows are everywhere.There were definitely plenty of emails going back and forth with the administration to clarify the details. The overall experience was amazing and so valuable. The internship was great because we were able to shadow in so many different departments in such little time as well as gain many hours. I shadowed 5 different departments and shadowed for about 6-7 hours each day. We also had less time in the hospital since we went during the holiday season, yet we still gained a lot of hours of shadowing. The coordinator I had was amazing, she was so easy to relate to and easy to communicate with. I got placed in a small town. The country itself mainly speaks Spanish except for some tourist areas, so knowing Spanish or being with someone Spanish speaking is essential. Our coordinator spoke good English and helped us out whenever we needed. The excursions were mostly well planned out, and the meals provided were really good, especially since Spain is really big on big portions, so the meals were 3 courses of goodness. Overall, the experience was worth it! Wish there was more chances of scholarships or we were clear of the qualifications for it, because it is harder to pay the tuition and have pocket money for some of us, but still glad I did it. I would highly recommend the program! It's very safe, and valuable and fun experience! I was lucky with my group of people, because I know I will still be friends with them and AP has helped us create those friendships!

Experiencing Spain's Health Care

In 2015 I went abroad to Toledo Spain to work amongst other students from all over the United States with the Atlantis Project. During my visit I shadowed many different doctors throughout my three week stay and it was the greatest experience. I created a great rapport with the doctors as they explained procedures, medical terms, and learned why they loved what they did within each of their respective fields. I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in the health care field!

Experience of a lifetime

When I saw the email about this project through an undergrad on campus organization, I thought that it was a scam because I was skeptical about how a program this unique and engaging would exist. I was wrong. This program helped me realize the multitude of incredible fields medicine has to occur, and has pushed me to switch my focus from clinical work to surgery, which is something I've never thought I would do. The freedom that the doctors provide you with shadowing them is impeccable and unparalleled to anything I've done. Interning at one of the best hospitals in Spain amidst doctors who were passionate to teach students and who were eager to learn English from us was a very humbling experience. They were patient with us as we were with them. They let us see so many things up close and personal (we followed all ethical codes set by AAMC, so everything was legitimate). Although this program provides no hands on work like medical mission trips, the shadowing was so robust and incredible that it didn't matter. I personally got to see more than 10 different surgeries, including one open heart surgery. During the procedures, the doctors were lecturing us on techniques and anatomy and happily encouraged us to come take a closer look. I know that this will sound cliche, but this program has changed my life and I would recommend it to anyone to is interested in medical internships abroad.

The Atlantis Project (Cuenca, Spain)

The Atlantis Project was an incredible experience that allowed me to experience my two passions: medicine and culture immersion. I lived in Cuenca, Spain for the month of July and had the privilege of shadowing physicians in Hospital Virgen de la Luz. I enjoyed the Atlantis Project especially because I was given the opportunity to experience different specialties, such as endocrinology, anesthesiology, and cardiovascular surgery. These specialties were my top choice, as given in the survey the Atlantis Project gives us prior to the trip, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Atlantis Project was able to give me my top choices. At the hospital, I was able to see the differences and similarities between the European healthcare and American healthcare. Because not all healthcare providers could speak English, I was also able to practice speaking Spanish and found that immersion in another country was truly the best way to learn the language. In addition, I also loved how my coordinator was from Spain and was like a mother figure in case I was ever in need of anything at all. Lastly, the Atlantis Project also enables the students to explore Spain and not waste any time at all. I was able to see the sights of the town I stayed in as well as go to a local winery.

Atlantis Project - Faial, Portugal

I spent 3 weeks on the island of Faial, and I have to say, it was both a meaningful and exhilarating experience. The physicians were more than accommodating, answering questions and explaining their thought processes, all while bridging the language gap. The other fellows were all highly motivated and exceptionally outgoing, which led to quick friendships and memorable experiences. The local coordinator went above and beyond to ensure not only our safety but also to provide us with unforgettable cultural experiences. The island itself is a beautiful place, filled with wonderful people, delicious food, and breath-taking sights. I highly recommend all pre-health students to apply and experience the Atlantis Project fellowship. Traveling to this beautiful island, is already well worth the trip, but the experiences and insights you gain from the clinical observations will go a long way in preparing you for future endeavors.

Unforgettable Experience...More Than You Could Imagine!

This past summer, I interned in Ourense, Spain for two weeks. Before I arrived, I was extremely hesitant about interning in a foreign country where I did not know how the administrators of the program would be, or how the program, itself, would be. I was worried about safety, whether or not I would be culturally immersed, or if I would actually be getting experience in a European healthcare setting. From the minute I arrived, I knew this was the right program for me. The coordinators were kind and informative, we started exploring from day 1, and the next day, we went right to work. The number of rotations one went through depended upon the length of stay. In my two week fellowship, I experienced six different specialties! What was even better was that we even had the chance to give back to the community. After spending the day in the hospital, we would explore the town and nearby cities, and on the weekends, I was able to travel to nearby countries as well! I made life-long connections, friends, was able to experience the culture of Ourense, and most importantly, I was able to properly experience European healthcare. Two weeks were definitely not enough, and I can't wait to go back!

Experience this for yourself...it isn't something you want to miss!