Internship in Japan with Asia Internship Program
Tall buildings Tall buildings

Internship in Japan with Asia Internship Program

Tokyo internship

The idea of living abroad has always appealed to me, I was never satisfied in small town Arkansas. To me an internship offered an amazing experience to combine the excitement of experiencing a different culture while still having access to an international work environment. For me I needed to LIVE somewhere, being a passer-by wasn’t the experience I was after. What I liked about AIP is they made an effort to create a sense of community among all the interns living in the same city. With interns from all over the globe I made some great and interesting friends. Japan is a very cool and clean country but what made Tokyo such a great destination is the fact that you are so central, it was ideal for travelling this slice of the world - I especially loved visiting South Korea.
The only downside was that my internship was unpaid so I needed to save save save before flying out. In spite of that I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience, and would recommend to anyone that isn't entirely sure how to spend their holiday break. Get some solid international work experience and explore Asia!

A must-do!

Traveling and interning in Japan has been a dream come true! In the future I wanted to work with or in an Asian country and AIP gave me the opportunity to achieve my goal! They found me the perfect internship where i was able to grow and improve my professional skills. They also did a wonderful job to create a community where all of their participants get a chance to come together to explore Tokyo and understand Japanese culture. Everyone here is super nice and extremely helpful and by the end of the trip you're going to feel like one big Connect family! AIP, thank you for this one-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Since I was in my teens I’ve been interested in Japanese culture. I even travelled there in 2015 and I had made up my mind. I was going to move to Japan after I graduated. My choices were to either teaching English or to get an internship and seeing as I hate kids, the internship seemed the more attractive choice. After doing some research I stumbled upon the AIP page and applied on a whim and promptly forgot about it. I was pretty excited to see that I had an interview arranged. It’s funny that I thought so little of such a life changing moment.
Skip ahead to my internship, I was placed in an arts and fashion company in Tokyo. I was hoping to be placed in the capital city because that’s where I visited when I travelled to Japan. Here’s the best part, the company decided to keep me on after my internship was completed!
I will have to make more of an effort to learn the language. To AIP I would like to say: ありがとうございました

Amazing Japan

I had romanticized the idea of living in Japan for a fair few years before I resolved to go there on a summer break form University. I think announcing to my mother that I was going to stay in Japan for a Journalism internship was the only time I’ve ever registered surprise in her face.

I applied through Asia Internship Porgram mostly because other internship providers in Japan required you to be there for a specific start and end date which didn’t really suit my plans.

Looking back I wish I bothered to learn a few words of Japanese just to make day to day life easier. I was there for six weeks before I learned hello or thank you which actually made me more work, not the wisest choice in the long run but I got by just fine.

Arriving I was super nervous, I stayed in a hostel for a few days while I looked for accommodation (I opted for the placement package) which was a good idea because I actually met some really cool people and even made friends with the receptionist – If you’re staying in Tokyo for a few days I recommend Hop Step Inn!

My first day I looked the part in my suit but I sloooowly became more and more casual in my attire. While I was there I created content for their blog and social media outlets and as one of three of the only native English speakers in the company I did a lot of proofreading and editing of the other staff’s work. I really enjoyed my time there I wasn’t expecting the responsibility of making my own promotional blog series.

My fellow internship colleagues were lovely too! I don’t have anything bad to say about them, they were helpful and welcoming. I always think I’m annoying people because I’m one to ask a million and one questions but they never seemed put out.

Japan is an amazing place, I’ve never tried such interesting food combinations in all my 19 years. I only wish I was more organized before going.

Great experience

I have applied for my internship in Japan with AIP. I was not used to spend a longer time in another country than holiday vacation, so I was really worried first but AIP organized everything for me and even got me contacts to other interns who are already in Tokyo doing their internship there.
Since I wanted to do my internship starting as fast as possible, they introduced me to AIPx which made the process a whole lot faster. Within 10 days I had my interview with a major marketing& advertising company. Everything worked well in my interview and the company accepted me. After 2 more weeks I could find myself already in a totally different world, I have been used to before: Japan!

Anybody who is thinking to do an internship abroad I can really encourage you to do so. You will get to know a whole different culture, working environment as well as international working experience for your future. You will also get new friends and can build up your network.