California: Urban and Wilderness Service
ARCC Programs Header Image ARCC Programs Header Image

California: Urban and Wilderness Service

• Satisfaction

A unique experience I'll never forget

This trip was so great and I'm so happy I challenged my comfort zone and signed up. ARCC was very organized and sent me emails with all the information I needed and were very helpful when responding to my emails with questions. My flight was delayed and I was so worried that the leaders wouldn't be able to find me at the airport but they had been keeping up to date with flight times, and called my cell phone to help me find them. Things on the trip went very smoothly and the leaders had been keeping in touch with the head of ARCC the whole time. I had chipped my tooth while surfing and ARCC handled it very well. They made sure I was okay and offered to take me to a dentist and notified my parents. Even though we couldn't have our phones, we posted blog posts on the website daily so our family could hear from us about what we are doing. Not having our phones made me nervous at first but turned out to be so great because all of us got to know each other a lot quicker without the distraction. My group was 13 total- seniors and juniors from all over the country and a few people from out of the country. We all got along extremely well and now I consider some of them my best friends. We had lots of silly moments and serious circle time conversations to reflect on our day and tell our stories (if comfortable of course). It felt like I knew everyone for my whole life. My leaders were absolutely amazing and made everyone feel comfortable from day 1. The service projects in San Francisco area with homeless outreach were really touching and such a cool experience. I didn't like the service in Tahoe and Yosemite as much because we were picking up trash but the people I was with made it fun. I had never camped before so I was extremely nervous that this would not be the trip for me, but it was not difficult and it is not required for the trip. We made our own meals and all had assigned jobs each day which was pretty cool and well organized. The activities we did in our free time such as hikes and swimming in waterfalls were so fun and had beautiful views. I couldn't stop taking pictures! I have not stopped talking about this trip and I recommend it to everyone! I made a video with some clips of my friends on the trip and our views if you want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXPql2xYnbU
Email me with questions you have at mkeeler19@gmail.com :)

• Satisfaction

California: urban and wilderness service

I got back from this trip around two weeks ago and I am still talking about it and crying over the fact that it is over. I met some of the greatest people during this trip, even though we all started off as strangers by the end of it we were so close that we were all crying at the airport when it was time to go. The leaders of the trip were so kind and funny and dedicated to what they do, it was inspiring, and I can definitely tell you first hand that they care about safety! One of the reasons I loved this trip so much is because there is a great balance between the service and adventure. We did lots of service and my favorite was working in the soup kitchen at Glide, I loved it. Lake Tahoe and Yosemite were just incredible, they are both just so beautiful, I would kill to go back to either places right now. Anyways, if you are thinking about going on this trip, do it, I guarantee you will have a good time and see amazing things.

ARCC California service trip

I just got home from a two week long service trip in Northern California with ARCC. It was an amazing experience, that will will make me smile for a while thinking of all the wonderful memories. I felt safe and comfortable at all times, and felt both of my counselors were experienced, and aware of everything happening. We completed service in the morning, where I felt I made a difference in the community, or park, but it was mixed with the perfect balance of exploring, playing games, hiking, swimming, and having fun! Overall, it was one of the most memorable trips I've been on, and I'd love to return for another ARCC trip this upcoming summer!

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

California trip

I went on the trip to Northern California and have not stopped talking about it since I got home over a week ago. From the before day prior to the trip when I got a call from one of my leaders who checked in about flight information, dietary needs, and any final questions, I was ecstatic to be going to California to explore foreign lands. The leaders were easy to find in the airport and once everyone had arrived we began our journey. Our cell phones were taken and we were fully immersed in the moment as thirteen strangers and two leaders pulled into a fifteen passenger van. I was very nervous about the camping aspect because I had never been before and we were camping for the entire two weeks, but I soon realized almost all the students were in the same boat. Our leaders were so passionate and dedicated to their work and they were so willing to help us adjust to the wilderness, taking all my nerves away. My group got along so well, there were nine girls and four boys, ranging from 15-18. Despite the gender and age differences, by the end of the trip we had all gotten so close and were crying when it was time to leave for our flights. I especially loved serving the food insecure at the St. Anthony's foundation. Another highlight of mine was eating burritos on the cliff of Glacier Point in Yosemite under the Milky Way. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is interested. If you have any questions or would like more information from a student's perspective please don't hesitate to contact me! My email is madelinejones9@gmail.com and I would love to talk to you!!

Amazing experience!

The trip was one of the best times of my life, I'll never forget it. I met really great people and had so much fun every day. Also, the service was so meaningful and made me feel great about helping people. The adventure parts were so fun, including white water kayaking, hiking at yosemite and exploring San Francisco. 100% worth it!