AIFS Study Abroad in Prague, Charles University: Semester
study abroad students study abroad students

AIFS Study Abroad in Prague, Charles University: Semester

The most memorable year of college

Studying abroad in Prague, Czech Republic was probably the most memorable experience of my college career thanks to AIFS. Looking at the program itself, the program with AIFS is both very affordable and supper immersive in the Czech culture. You have the option of living in a student dormitories in a nice part of Prague that allows you to meet lots of people and get really immersed in the student life in the area. The dorms itself are decent compared with what we have in North America but the experience was well worth it. There is also the less common option of finding you own accommodations. Living in Prague is also super affordable, as meals, going out, and planning trips never pushes your wallet's limit and allows you to do whatever you want for reasonable prices. You are also afforded a wide wage of classes at Charles University with great professors and amazing learning opportunities. The program administrators are also the most amazing people you will meet, the trips they take you on are very planned out, and the support they provide the students goes beyond expectations. Prague itself is such a beautiful city with so much to do and see. With a large variety of historical sights, museums, shows, performances, cafes, restaurants, clubs, and parks you will never get bored. The year I spent in Prague was spectacular and I miss it every day since I left, and AIFS helped make that experience even more great!

An ideal semester program in Prague!!

There is next to nothing that I would change about my semester in Prague with AIFS. Prague is a beautiful city with convenient public transportation that can get you within a ten minute walk of anything, a rich history, cheap travel options, and an interesting culture. AIFS finds the perfect balance between coddling you and not giving enough support; when you first arrive, you will have a couple of weeks of orientation where you learn the basics of Czech language and culture, tour important parts of the city, and view other significant sites in the Czech Republic. Throughout the semester, you can visit the AIFS office in the center of the city for help planning travel, ideas for what to do around town, or any personal issues that might come up. Additionally, they plan weekly cultural events for students like café outings, tickets to the opera, or sporting events that help you immerse yourself in the culture.
The classes are easy to get to and mostly occur in the historic Charles University building, and while you don't get to take classes alongside Czech students, there may be other European students who are enrolled in your classes through the ERASMUS program.
Overall, I felt that I had access to all of the resources necessary to have the best possible experience in Prague. I learned so much about Czech culture and about myself.

AIFS Prague

When I think study abroad, I think of classes with... people from other countries? Right? Not this program. Mind you, ECES is all Americans, with the exception of the stray Erasmus+ student who petitions to join a class. This was not good. You room with Americans, take classes with Americans, go on excursions with Americans... yeah. AIFS will pretend to indorse the international club but won't actually help anyone figure out how to join.

Dorms: not good. Our shower curtain smelled like urine and our bathroom flooded every time someone showered. You have a small mini fridge for 4 people. The beds are 3 feet apart. Think two shoeboxes attached by a much smaller kitchen shoebox. Quite gross. No privacy.

Firstly, this is a great program if you have never travelled before and are looking to be treated like you are 16 years old. AIFS staff will kindly tell you some tips at the beginning of the program to not look like obvious Americans. They will then proceed to put you in large groups and parade you around like tourists. Fun times.

You certainly pay for everything you get (or don't). If you value money and or independence: do NOT sign up for the excursions. You WILL pay $425 to be riding in a bus for 16 hours in a weekend and be asked to pay for most/all of your meals with the exception of a horrible breakfast.

Side note: I found it funny that this program is 100% American students yet has no American staff in Prague, and they make a point to have a 'AIFS thanksgiving' and other cringeworthy holiday traditions. I you want to stay in your bubble, do this program!

Prague is amazing. The worst part about this program ended up being AIFS itself. If you want someone up your * all the time and basically make you forget that you are indeed an adult, this will do. If you like to blend in, assimilate, make friends who are from abroad... not sure about this one.

Best experience of my life!

Everything in the program was amazing, AIFS staff are very nice and helpful and they give you a lot of ways to immerse in the culture of the country you are staying at. Prague is a beautiful city, if you have the opportunity to study abroad I would absolutely recommend this program!

My Czech experience

My experience in Prague has given me the opportunity to completely immerse myself in Czech culture from trying to get directions in Czech to being able to volunteer at local schools. I have gained a lot of appreciation for the history and culture of the Czech Republic while also having time to explore other European countries. The AIFS program has been there with me the whole way, answering any and all my questions as well as providing me with different events and opportunities to further experience the Czech way of life.

The best time of my life

Studying abroad in Prague with AIFS not only met, but exceeded all my expectations. It was so amazing and all the staff, Renata, Z, Jenny, and Maike, were all the best and nicest people that I have ever met. They were always there for us, even when it meant trying to get us last minute tickets to an excursion because we forgot to sign up. I fell in love with Prague so quickly and wished that I never had to leave. Everything about Prague made it seem like home. If possible, I would 110% recommend doing this program. From the cafes to the parks to the cobbled stone streets and historic buildings, you will never get bored, even if you stay here for a year! There are not enough words that can describe how much I have loved my experience here.

Long live Praha

I truly can not say a bad word about this program. The city is absolutely beautiful it feels like you are living in a fairy tale.You have to take the walks with Z he will show you everything you didn't know was there. I really enjoyed seeing the castle everyday and meeting the Czechs.The immersion class help me enough to get around Prague and talk to locals. I love this program and Praha.

AIFS - Spring semester abroad

Such an excellent program! I highly recommend this to anyone that is looking into studying in Prague. The staff is so resourceful and kind. They are always there to help when needed. The program included a lot of things. There events that you could sign up for that really gave you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the Czech culture. The classes were interesting and not too demanding! It was a perfect mix of school and traveling. AIFS offered weekend trips, day trips and so much more! You cannot go wrong if you pick this program.

Best 4 months of my life

AIFS immediately felt like home when I got to meet Renata and Maike and it hasn't changed. They truly help you immerse yourself into the Czech culture and make sure you are safe and comfortable along the way!

Once in a lifetime experience

AIFS is an outstanding program that was able to give me an experience I can't even out into words. All 4 staff members are truly incredible people that you will be lucky to come across in your lifetime. They offer help with anything and everything you might need, and they are just the greatest humans. So many cultural activities were included such as cafe outings, cooking classes, or ballets, which give you the opportunity to really experience the true Czech culture. There is also an option to sign up for excursions to go to various countries around the Czech Republic, which was really nice to have everything organized and set up for you. Living in Prague is a true fairytale and I could not have asked for a better program to go through. I encourage everyone to take up the opportunity to study abroad, and going through AIFS will really give you the most unforgettable experience.

Endless opportunities and outstanding staff

AIFS was a great experience right from the start. After leading us on an organized stop in London, we were welcomed at the airport by amazing staff and transportation making travel easier than ever. Throughout the entire semester the faculty was beyond accommodating and extremely supportive. AIFS not only provided staff to help us acclimate to a new culture, but they offer many opportunities to emerge deep into your host country's culture (and often for free) such as a night out at the ballet, an afternoon in the cafe, or a day out touring different parts of the city. Affordable excursions to other countries through AIFS were also well organized and extremely entertaining. Another great aspect AIFS offers is volunteering in schools, or at an animal shelter. Spending one day a week teaching elementary level students english was extremely rewarding, and made my bond with Prague even deeper. Prague is an amazing city, but AIFS made my experience beyond anything I ever expected.

Best experience ever!!!

AIFS Prague such an amazing program, if you are deciding between which city or program you want to do I have to recommend Prague. The program itself is very inclusive, the AIFS staff provides a lot of services to the students and you don't pay for a lot in the program. The excursions and cultural activities are fun and worth doing, and the classes are very interesting and you learn a lot about this region of the world that you may not learn back in the United States. Prague itself is such an amazing and interesting city. It's very unique among European cities that is still retains all of its historical character that other cities lost during WWII, and it has such a unique and creative culture. There are an endless amount of cafes, restaurants, clubs, and other places to check out. Plus the city itself is beautiful. Czech people are very nice and welcoming even though at first you may find them reserved and not happy, just part of the culture. I've met the most amazing people here and I will keep this experience with me forever.

A great experience!

I had an amazing experience in Prague with AIFS! The program leaders are amazing and truly show that they care about the experience of every AIFS student. Prague is a beautiful city, and you could never get bored of it! I would recommend this program and this city to anyone.

Prague, the must see city with an amazing program; AIFS

My time here in the Czech Republic has been such an incredible experience. Coming from a marginalized community back home in the states I was able to use my knowledge in my dual culture to really immerse myself into this culture. I have learned so much about myself and have gained a new profound perspective that I will carry for the rest of my life. Of course, this amazing experience would have not been possible if it were not for the AIFS staff. This group of amazing individuals created a lively atmosphere for all the students. All the events that they hosted for us were always fun and very time worthy! I would definitely recommend this program to others. They made my experience that much better. Much love and gratitude for the amazing AIFS staff!

Prague and its beautiful history

Prague is a City that you have probably never heard about but definitely one that everyone should visit. I had never heard about Prague prior to coming to do a study abroad program and I am not so happy that I came here. There is so much history with in the Czech Republic and it just make you want to keep learning more. Its also something very different than what I am used to and I ended up loving it anyway. It might take a while to get adjusted and used to the life here but once you do you feet at home. I love Prague!

Absolutely the best experience ever!

AIFS is extremely organized and ready to help you! Prague was a great city because it has so much history and easy public transportation. My Resident Directors were some of the sweetest, caring, and supportive people I have ever met. Prague had great character. You will never be bored. There were amazing museums, fun bars, group tours, cute cafes (on every corner) and a lot of good food. I can confidently say this program is the BEST!

Excellent

I really enjoyed my experience with the AIFS program. The staff was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. They made everything very easy by offering many tours to show us around and assimilate us to the culture. Prague it self was also amazing.

Beautiful and exciting city

Prague is absolutely amazing! There is always something to do or see. It is the most amazing and classically romantic city I've visited in Europe. AIFS does a great job of helping you adjust while allowing you complete independence. The staff is very welcoming and always happy to help you with anything. Charles University classes help you better understand the culture you are living in, but are not too difficult to accommodate your weekend travel habits. Highly recommend!

Amazing overall

I chose Prague because it was central, so I could travel, and because it was much cheaper than other European programs. What I didn't expect was to fall so deeply in love with the city. Prague is quaint, and it's easy to get used to, but even after four months, I'm still discovering new interesting things about it. It has truly become my European home.
The AIFS staff here are wonderful and will do anything to make sure you adjust well and are comfortable. They organize things like free coffee outings, ballets, and theatre performances. When I was sick, they found me a doctor and checked in on me multiple times to make sure I got better.
The classes were a bit harder than I expected, but it turned out to be a good thing - a little academic challenge never hurt anybody.
I would do this semester over again in a heartbeat.

A great semester in Prague

Through this program you'll make life long friends. It was really fun and I had a great time learning about the culture. Prague is a great city, but the Czech country side is also amazing. It's an easy city to navigate and use public transportation.

Come to Prague!

Studying in Prague with AIFS for a semester was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Prague is rich in history and culture with something new to try every day! The program staff was incredibly supportive and helpful during my stay - offering advice and hosting cultural activities. I have built lifelong friendships and fallen in love with this city. I have grown as an individual and become more confident in my abilities. I am grateful for this experience and would do it again in a heartbeat! I would encourage others to choose Prague because it is truly unique and life changing experience. Thank you AIFS

Dip your toe in authentic Czech lifestyle

I only started to realize what it really means to live in Prague this past month. My first month here was disorienting and unique, surrounded by a group of Americans transitioning into European lifestyle and touching the surface with Czech culture. The next phase was a sense of frustration, I didn't have any Czech friends and my American friends were falling into the bubble of only going to the same places they knew and only speaking English. Pushing myself out of that bubble I ventured alone quite a lot through the city and forcing myself to go up and speak to Czech people, as uncomfortable as it was for them as well as me, I got some really good conversations out of it. My last month here has been wonderful as Prague in spring is like no other city and I finally feel comfortable in my surroundings and abilities to speak to Czech people and to see a kind and fun side to them.

Czech this place out!

Prague is the most magical city and I was so happy with my decision to come here. My experience could not have been as great as it was without the help and support of the AIFS team. They were by our sides from the minute we stepped off the plane and made adjusting to a new culture a breeze. If we had any questions or just wanted to chat they were always there and excited to help. I will miss this beautiful city and all the people I have met including the AIFS Staff.

The semester of a lifetime

I grew so much in my semester abroad, both academically and personally. I learned how to communicate across cultural boundaries and with people whose experiences are so different from my own. I also learned to live outside my comfort zone. My "might" turned into "will" and my "I can try" was shortened to "I can" and I would not give back this experience for the world. With the support of the phenomenal AIFS staff in Prague, I was able to use every last bit of this semester and love it!

Prague 2016 spring

Had a wonderful semester, was a real eye opener. Courses provided by the host institution exceeded my expectations and AIFS local office was just awesome as it can be. Worthwhile experience. Being located in the center of the continent provides great opportunities for weekends trips as well. Definitely recommended.