Teaching & Community Development Project in Zambia
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Teaching & Community Development Project in Zambia

Most precious life experience

I had the most amazing time volunteering here in Livingstone. From the social bund within the volunteers, to cultural interaction, it really was an awesome experience. I've got fully involved in the projects and clubs, learned a lot every day and enjoyed every minute with the school kids and the local people here. What I liked the most, was the variety of different programs African Impact runs here in Livingstone. Every week is different, what makes it really interesting. I definitely consider doing volunteering with AI again.

Wonderful experience

After my graduation I went for a month in Livingstone for a volunteering experience with African Impact...and I don't want to go home anymore!! I was on the teaching project and everything was perfect: the house, the staff members, the weekend activities, the friends...if you are thinking about it..just go!! You will never regret this experience.

My experience was good.

My experience was good because I feel we were able to take part in the different projects. I really liked that we were given the opportunity to try other projects and not just what we had signed up for. The living situation was very good and I am very pleased with the scheme in general!

Good times in Livingstone

My stay with African Impact in Livingstone was thoroughly positive. Pre-departure information which was provided through a partner agency was complete and reflective of the conditions to be found on site.
In Livingstone, everything was just perfect. Airport pick-up went smooth, so was transport to and from the project locations. The best part about the Livingstone Community Projects, however, were the people - both fellow volunteers and locals. Everyone was just welcoming, nice, and all you'd wish for when travelling to an unknown country for the first time. I also enjoyed the plethora of possibilities to spent spare time during the week and the weekend. I got to do just about everything from beer pong to game drives in Botsuana.

All in all, my time in Livingstone was better than I could have ever asked for.

Fabulous!!

Really excellent program and supervision, structure and placement as well as activities and the people.

My experience

Volunteering was something that I always wanted to do. African Impact made that possible. Everything is well structured. Particularly, African Impact at Livingston, are very organized, very flexible when it comes in the experiences and activities that you would like to participate. All of the people involved in, starting from the Managers, coordinators, staff, security, ALL OF THEM, try to make your whole experiences a memorable one. Mine was and made as well such an impact in my life. I will forever be grateful for that.

One word: amazing

Only 2 weeks here, I would loved to stay longer. With pain in my heart I go home but I think I come back.
I did the teaching project but I did one day medical and that is really cool. You see the homes en you get closer to the people.
You get so much love of the children, it is incredible.

• African Impact responded to this review March 05, 2018 at 3:07 AM

Hi Axelle. Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad you enjoyed your two weeks with us. If you have any suggestions as to how we can improve our living situation, please don't hesitate to email us at marketing@africanimpact.com so we can make the experience that much better.

Megan's experience

My experience in Zambia has been a once in a lifetime journey. I have learnt so much by being here and I feel that in my 11 weeks that I have had the chance to experience all that Livingstone has to offer me. The volunteer is definitely what you make it and I have enjoyed my time on project and within the communities.

Real African experience, Shaina B

My stay in Livingstone was an experience of a lifetime, everything from the projects to activities, the culture, the locals and the food was incredible. I'm really glad that i chose Zambia as a country and Livingstone in particular because of all the different and diverse things you can do and see here. I did the teaching project and worked mostly with grade 4-6, the experience and time I spent with the kids was completely life changing and it opened my eyes to so many new things I never knew I would see and be a part of. I even did some medical and farming projects which was a lot of fun and exciting, seeing the villages and just enjoying the simple things in life. I recommend Zambia, Livingstone and African Impact and I want to thank everyone who made my African story so memorable. /Shaina

Fantastic volunteer project

I had a wonderful time in Africa volunteering for African Impact; you feel a great sense of achievement after all interactions here with local people and other volunteers. Every member of staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, and with the beautiful surroundings of Livingstone and the backpackers, I would highly recommend this to anyone of all ages and nationalities.

Volunteer teaching in Livingstone

I had a great experience here in Livingstone at the backpackers. The volunteering was fun and I learned a lot more about myself. Also the weekend activities are amazing. the backpackers is a great place to meet new people from all over the world.

Girl impact

Volunteering with girl impact was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The girls were amazing and I was able to make my own lesson plans to teach the girls. Most of the girls were very receptive to the lessons that we created and remembered them from week to week. The first day that I went to project, I was greeted at the van by the girls who were so excited to meet me. After that moment my worries all went away. Furthermore, the life at the hostel left me with friends and memories that I will hold on to for the rest of my life.

3 weeks African Impact

I had a very good time here! Lovely people and a lovely place to stay. I liked the volunteering but I would have liked to work each day 1 or 2 hours more because we had a little bit too much free time I think + as a teacher it's nice to know what the children learned before so maybe you can make a daily diary with the thing the children learned that day. These are just some tips, I really liked the volunteering in Linda community! The children are wonderful (if they listen...)

Great experience for nursing/medical students

Volunteering has always been a dream since I was a kid, and as a nursing student I decided to just do it, go volunteering in Africa. I mean, why not? I can say it was the best decision I've made in my life so far. I volunteered for two weeks on the medical project.
I think It's good for everyone to go to another country and broaden their horizons. See how people live, feel their joy, see their problems and be reminded of every little detail and things at home you took for granted. Volunteering with the medical project was very interesting. The transition from working at a hospital in my home country where I have everything I need , to home based care where we have to make due with what we have was not easy and it took some effort to lock away codependency.
In short: If you ever want to volunteer, do it!

Amazing experience

I had a once in a lifetime trip (which I would definitely make twice in a lifetime if I could. The people are fantastic, the projects re fun and productive and there is lots to do in free time as well as evenings and weekends.

Zambia

I had a really good time here in Zambia. The combination of the projects and free time is very good. I met a lot of good friends here who made it even better. The accommodation is awesome and also the food.

3 amazing weeks

It has been such a great experience working as a volunteer here in Livingstone and I have had 3 amazing weeks. I really enjoyed the opportunity to work on different projects in the afternoon , as it gave me a broader understanding of the culture and more varied days. I will definitely recommend this to my friends back home :-)

It was fantastic

I really enjoyed my stay in Zambia. I have been here for three weeks and every single day was different, but perfect. I will definitely do something like this again. The people were so nice and the project was also very nice.

Volunteering Livingstone

The nature, the people, the projects... I have fallen in love with Zambia and I don't want to go home. I have the feeling I have learned more from everyone here than that I have taught. Best experience ever!!!!

My stay

Once you get used to this place and this life you don't want to go. It become my home and my family, and share with all of them with experience has been great. Normally, I hate the every day routine, but here it was different, and I had enjoy every single day.

A life changing experience

Going to volunteer in Livingstone was one of the best decisions i've ever made. Being able to see the struggles that affect the local community was eye opening and being able to be a part of the solution was very rewarding. They local people are lovely and the kids are unbelievable - it was heartbreaking to leave! Volunteering with African Impact made me feel like I was making a real contribution. I would be teaching the same class every morning and in the afternoon we would do a variety of different community projects such as maths clubs, reading clubs, visiting the old people's home and even creating eco bricks! Everything was well organised, the accommodation was very good and the staff in Livingstone were extremely friendly and so helpful! If you're thinking about volunteering in Africa I would highly recommend Livingstone!

Super experience

This was one of the most incredible experience I've done in my life, it was really challenging but I found great people here to support me. Livingstone is amazing, the teaching program was perfect to me and I enjoyed every single day spent here

A fantastic month

I have enjoyed my time in Zambia so so much. Everything captivated me from making new friends, all the way to watching the kids under my guidance progress and flourish to their potential. The constant turnover of volunteers keeps things fresh and really gives the place energy, whilst the continuity of the project allows for meaningful and progressive relationships to be struck with the children. On the first day i never thought i would be weeping when i leave... but all i can say is, this is a special place.

Amazing experience!

Amazing experience! Don't want to leave! All very well organised by the Livingstone AI team (Sander, Kristen and Joe) and you could see the impact you were making! Working with likeminded friends doesn't even feel like work!

I Love Mwandi Grade 6

I really enjoyed the teaching project as it allowed me to interact and bond with underprivileged children. The children were all lovely and they are very keen to learn. It is an amazing feeling when the children get what you are teaching. as for Livingstone Backpackers, it is a lovely place to stay as everyone is so friendly and it is really easy to make friends, they're like you're substitute family. The food is delicious and is something different everyday.