Teaching & Community Development Project in Zambia
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Teaching & Community Development Project in Zambia

Teaching

Teaching mathematics to fifth grade in Mwandi school was so interesting because we saw how the zambian system worked with children at school which allowed me to help students in a certain way, doing my best.

African Impact Abroad

To say this program was incredible is a wild understatement. From the second I arrived, through orientation,and every single moment on project I have never been happier, nor have I felt more prepared to do what was asked of me. The staff was always supportive and helpful, the culture was amazing and the locals were so friendly.

Teaching

I really enjoy my stay here, teaching was an great experience, the kids were really cute and kind. They really want to learn new things,i really enjoy to see that they understood things that they didn't understand before. I song for us at the end.

Rewarding and enjoyable month

From start to finish my time with African Impact was genuinely engaging, rewarding and fun.
As part of the teaching project I was assigned a class for my stay. I worked with them every morning and really built up a bond with the kids over my stay. Teaching a range of topics was really interesting and developed my skills in front of a group of people. Being in a position to teach and nurture the kids was highly rewarding. Seeing them value my input and time made me feel I was making a genuine contribution in the classroom. All if the pupils were really friendly and playing netball with them at breaktime was a particular highlight.
In the afternoons we were given the chance to get involved with other groups and clubs across the communities. This included art, maths and reading clubs for kids as well as sports, after school activities and helping at the local old people's home. I particularly enjoyed adult literacy groups where I was able to work 1 on 1 with a lady working hard to improve her employability by learning English. The maths club was also a favourite; explaining a concept to bewildered boys who then finally get it is one of the more rewarding parts of volunteering here.
All of the volunteers live together in a great venue with fabulous food and a great social scene outside project hours. On weekends I was able to explore what Livingstone has to offer, including the Vic Falls and the adventure scene built around it. The safari to Chobe in Botswana was an unforgettable experience as was taking a flight over the falls. There are also some fabulous and good value restaurants around town. Definitely recommend.

• African Impact responded to this review July 10, 2018 at 5:09 AM

Hi James,

Thank you for joining us in Livingstone, and for sharing your experience. It's often the case that the communities make a massive impact on our volunteers, and we're glad you felt it too.

The African Impact team

Euan NcNicholl review

At first, I was a bit anxious coming to Zambia as I didn't know what to expect on my first trip to Africa, but I can now safely say that this trip was more than I could ever have expected. Thanks to African Impact, I got to experience the local culture and the struggles involved in every day life for the local people. As part of the teaching project I got to work in local schools where I experienced first hand the struggles involved for the students, this was a very enlightening experience and i would definitely recommend the teaching project. African Impact offered an incredible social aspect for the trip and i have made friends for life and hope to return in the near future

Review

I had a great time working in the local school at Mwandi. The children were really great and really eager to learn. The school is in a poverty stricken environment though and some of the challenges were obvious to see which made the experience more worthwhile because you could help the children learn.

Irish man in Africa

My overall experience was one that I will certainly never forget, from the first day I felt completely at home with a community within the backpackers and bonding taking place all day, everyday. I was teaching in Mwandi, a near by primary school which was a real eye opener for myself and my collegues. It was clear to see that the children were in such a drastic state of poverty yet still work so hard to try and create a future for themselves with such little resources. I can say confidently that this experience will change my view of life at home and I cannot wait to book my next trip back to Zambia.

Happy days

I really liked staying here and the program was wonderful to be a part of, I'm glad I got this experience. I learned so much, especially because I got to work so closely with the children here. I want to hopefully come back.

My experience with African Impact

It has been an amazing time here! I'm so grateful I've had the opportunity to teach in a disadvantage school but also to have helped the community. The kids were incredible! I'm still amazed by their passion and constant positivity, which acts as reminder to appreciate the small things in life. I've fallen in love with these kids and left a piece of my heart there with them. I will never forget my time here and I will definitely come back!

Most precious life experience

I had the most amazing time volunteering here in Livingstone. From the social bund within the volunteers, to cultural interaction, it really was an awesome experience. I've got fully involved in the projects and clubs, learned a lot every day and enjoyed every minute with the school kids and the local people here. What I liked the most, was the variety of different programs African Impact runs here in Livingstone. Every week is different, what makes it really interesting. I definitely consider doing volunteering with AI again.

Wonderful experience

After my graduation I went for a month in Livingstone for a volunteering experience with African Impact...and I don't want to go home anymore!! I was on the teaching project and everything was perfect: the house, the staff members, the weekend activities, the friends...if you are thinking about it..just go!! You will never regret this experience.

My experience was good.

My experience was good because I feel we were able to take part in the different projects. I really liked that we were given the opportunity to try other projects and not just what we had signed up for. The living situation was very good and I am very pleased with the scheme in general!

Good times in Livingstone

My stay with African Impact in Livingstone was thoroughly positive. Pre-departure information which was provided through a partner agency was complete and reflective of the conditions to be found on site.
In Livingstone, everything was just perfect. Airport pick-up went smooth, so was transport to and from the project locations. The best part about the Livingstone Community Projects, however, were the people - both fellow volunteers and locals. Everyone was just welcoming, nice, and all you'd wish for when travelling to an unknown country for the first time. I also enjoyed the plethora of possibilities to spent spare time during the week and the weekend. I got to do just about everything from beer pong to game drives in Botsuana.

All in all, my time in Livingstone was better than I could have ever asked for.

Fabulous!!

Really excellent program and supervision, structure and placement as well as activities and the people.

My experience

Volunteering was something that I always wanted to do. African Impact made that possible. Everything is well structured. Particularly, African Impact at Livingston, are very organized, very flexible when it comes in the experiences and activities that you would like to participate. All of the people involved in, starting from the Managers, coordinators, staff, security, ALL OF THEM, try to make your whole experiences a memorable one. Mine was and made as well such an impact in my life. I will forever be grateful for that.

One word: amazing

Only 2 weeks here, I would loved to stay longer. With pain in my heart I go home but I think I come back.
I did the teaching project but I did one day medical and that is really cool. You see the homes en you get closer to the people.
You get so much love of the children, it is incredible.

• African Impact responded to this review March 05, 2018 at 3:07 AM

Hi Axelle. Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad you enjoyed your two weeks with us. If you have any suggestions as to how we can improve our living situation, please don't hesitate to email us at marketing@africanimpact.com so we can make the experience that much better.

Megan's experience

My experience in Zambia has been a once in a lifetime journey. I have learnt so much by being here and I feel that in my 11 weeks that I have had the chance to experience all that Livingstone has to offer me. The volunteer is definitely what you make it and I have enjoyed my time on project and within the communities.

Real African experience, Shaina B

My stay in Livingstone was an experience of a lifetime, everything from the projects to activities, the culture, the locals and the food was incredible. I'm really glad that i chose Zambia as a country and Livingstone in particular because of all the different and diverse things you can do and see here. I did the teaching project and worked mostly with grade 4-6, the experience and time I spent with the kids was completely life changing and it opened my eyes to so many new things I never knew I would see and be a part of. I even did some medical and farming projects which was a lot of fun and exciting, seeing the villages and just enjoying the simple things in life. I recommend Zambia, Livingstone and African Impact and I want to thank everyone who made my African story so memorable. /Shaina

Fantastic volunteer project

I had a wonderful time in Africa volunteering for African Impact; you feel a great sense of achievement after all interactions here with local people and other volunteers. Every member of staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, and with the beautiful surroundings of Livingstone and the backpackers, I would highly recommend this to anyone of all ages and nationalities.

Volunteer teaching in Livingstone

I had a great experience here in Livingstone at the backpackers. The volunteering was fun and I learned a lot more about myself. Also the weekend activities are amazing. the backpackers is a great place to meet new people from all over the world.

3 weeks African Impact

I had a very good time here! Lovely people and a lovely place to stay. I liked the volunteering but I would have liked to work each day 1 or 2 hours more because we had a little bit too much free time I think + as a teacher it's nice to know what the children learned before so maybe you can make a daily diary with the thing the children learned that day. These are just some tips, I really liked the volunteering in Linda community! The children are wonderful (if they listen...)

Great experience for nursing/medical students

Volunteering has always been a dream since I was a kid, and as a nursing student I decided to just do it, go volunteering in Africa. I mean, why not? I can say it was the best decision I've made in my life so far. I volunteered for two weeks on the medical project.
I think It's good for everyone to go to another country and broaden their horizons. See how people live, feel their joy, see their problems and be reminded of every little detail and things at home you took for granted. Volunteering with the medical project was very interesting. The transition from working at a hospital in my home country where I have everything I need , to home based care where we have to make due with what we have was not easy and it took some effort to lock away codependency.
In short: If you ever want to volunteer, do it!

Amazing experience

I had a once in a lifetime trip (which I would definitely make twice in a lifetime if I could. The people are fantastic, the projects re fun and productive and there is lots to do in free time as well as evenings and weekends.

Zambia

I had a really good time here in Zambia. The combination of the projects and free time is very good. I met a lot of good friends here who made it even better. The accommodation is awesome and also the food.

3 amazing weeks

It has been such a great experience working as a volunteer here in Livingstone and I have had 3 amazing weeks. I really enjoyed the opportunity to work on different projects in the afternoon , as it gave me a broader understanding of the culture and more varied days. I will definitely recommend this to my friends back home :-)