Teach English to children and adults on Zanzibar Island
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Teach English to children and adults on Zanzibar Island

my unforgettable first experience in Africa

this experience was absolutely amazing! these three weeks changed me and my perspective of life. I made many friends from all over the world and was able to help change others lives. so thank you everybody!

My trip was Africamazing!

It was my first time in Africa and I absolutely loved it. The community in Jambiani is so welcoming and loving, you feel right at home. Everyday is a busy day, but it always feels like a holiday. You get to meet so many lovely, grateful people while being on the project, I can hardly describe it as work!

My Experience

Over my time here i have be pleasantly surprised with how much i have enjoyed this experience. Though tried after my three week stay, i will miss everyone and everything about this place. thankyou ....

Jambiani

My time here in Jambiani has been incredible, I've learned a lot, not only in the meaning of teaching, but also in meaning of experiencing new things. Everything here was managed so well that i have never felt uncomfortable.

Volunteering in paradise

Volunteering in Jambiani, Zanzibar was the best experience in life!
The staff is amazing, you get enough support. And the community is one of the loveliest, amazing community that I have been in. I will come back!

Teaching and community project 10/04/17-01/05/17

My time on project w completely eye opening and breathtaking. We start our mornings being greeted with "Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!" And it really reinforces how important the work that African Impact does and how important learning is to the students. They hang on to and treasure every word you say because they do want to learn and it makes you feel so appreciated. The children's beautiful smiles are enough to turn your day around and fill you with happiness. Teaching adults has had a huge impact on me also. They too are so willing to learn and it is so important for them because they are nurturing their futures. As much as they want to hear volunteers teach, I also wanted to hear their stories. They are such strong, resilient and happy people. Their smiles are infectious and their reasons for wanting to learn English touch your heart. Coming home from teaching, everyone in the Jambiani village greets you with "karibu sana" and it becomes a home away from home very easily. On top of everything, the gorgeous ocean and beautiful nature of this town is stunning, and I feel so lucky to live in a world where places like this exist. I will never forget everything that I have done here, thanks to my students and locals, African Impact staff and my fellow volunteers.

2 amazing months

I spent 2 months in the project, my first week was a little bit slow because everything was new but my 8 weeks went so fast and I can't believe that it's the end, it was incredible, I will not forget!

Asante sana Zanzibar

It was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had and I would do it again a hundred times. I met amazing people (locals and volunteers) and had the possibility to learn a lot about the wonderful African culture.

Zanzibar - the perfect place to volunteer

I have had an amazing time here in Zanzibar, you can live so close with the local people and learn to understand their culture and way of living. The students really want to learn something and are open for everything and you notice that they really want to learn something and they respect you, even though you aren't a real teacher. The project managers informed us well, and the mood in the house, between the volunteers and the staff was great. The activities out of the project were very nice and we enjoyed a lot of different things at the weekends. If i have the opportunity I loved to come back once :)

Zanzibar teaching and community project

This was my second time on the project and I loved it as much as I did the first time. It is such a unique experience here and it is amazing to directly live in the village with the people next door. It is so great to see how much they welcome us being here and how much every student enjoys the lessons. Each lesson you finish gives you the feeling that you really can make an impact.

Zanzibar teaching and community project

I spent 3 weeks in the Zanzibar teaching and community project and really enjoyed the time here. You are located in a nice house directly at the stunning beautiful beach of Jambiani.

We had to teach adults as well as nursery school children. It was so nice to see their willingness to learn. It it the perfect teaching situation: Both, teachers and students, voluntarily spend their time to learn respectively to teach. You can imagine that this is a very fruitful combination.

All people in the town are very respectful. They treat you as your teacher not as a tourist. Children as shouting "teacher, teacher" when they see you on your bike.

The project managers are very professional. Harry and Sherice do everything to keep a good organization. And believe me, there are lots of things that need to be organized. African Impact can be proud to have 2 so enthusiastic people on board!

To sum up: It was a great experience to be here on the project. I stayed in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I could help the people to increase their chances on the job market. I got an deep insight in the local peoples daily life. And last but not least I spent time with lovely people, like Harry, Sheriece and Dulla.

Highlights of my AI experience

It was an amazing experience to teach with African Impact, the people, the environment and the children. It felt so nice being a little part of this community and help with the education of the children and adults of all age.
But my experience here in Jambiani thought me way more then i have thought to the children. It thought me how to be responsible, how you can be kind in any way of life, how even the smallest things can make someone smile and grateful we have to be for what we already have.

African Impact Zanzibar education & community development

I spent 3 weeks in Zanzibar on this project, which have been so amazing. The project is extremely well organised and you are well supported throughout your stay, both on project and in leisure time!!!

"Jambo, teacher!"

I stayed 3 weeks in Jambiani as a volunteer. In the morning we went to two nursery schools and in the afternoon we taught English to the the adults and to a group of women. The people here are so friendly!

My review

Had a great time! High above my expectations!
You get the opportunity to meet new people,culture,habits and lifestyle.
Be part of the community.
Recommend to everyone have such an amazing experience :)

Teaching and community project - Zanzibar

I've spent two weeks here in Jambiani; having volunteered previously, I have been totally impressed by the way that African Impact is run in order to ensure the best outcomes for the community it supports. There is a wonderful sense of partnership with the locals, meaning you are always met with a warm welcome,
The project supports people of many ages, providing education in order to allow the people of Jambiani to support themselves sustainably. One of the most rewarding parts for me has been teaching a small adult class who choose to come for their own knowledge to enhance their opportunities in life; being a part of that is an incredible thing. I've enjoyed every minute, have met some lovely people along the way and learnt many life lessons!

The project is not professional

The project is not professional. We pay an about 100$ per a day. How is the money used, we cant see. no methods, no equipment, no teachers. all what we have is only the donations that the volunteers brought. We don't understand the children, they don't understand us. What can 19 years old volunteer do in 2-4 weeks?

Teaching and community project

I was nine weeks in the teaching and community project and I learned a lot of new things and I really enjoyed the time as a teacher. How to teach children in the nursery class and the adult class in kidenga.

Unforgettable experience

My time here in Jambiani was amazing! I didn't know what it will be like and it was totally new for me to be teaching, but my experience is only positive and I would recommend this project to everyone who would like to be part of a wonderful organization which has got a big impact. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I never want to leave this place

My time here has been amazing,would not have done it any other way! Everyone is wonderful and friendly, from the staff to the community to the other volunteers. It had been eye opening and unbelievably educational. :)

Heaven is a place on earth!

The 6 weeks on this project were amazing, it was a once in a lifetime experience and one I will always remember. we spent our days teaching nursery kids and adults, working on the land - planting trees and building a school from scratch(!!) using Eco bricks and eating dinners under the stars with local women, and the best part in all of it was living on Jambiani's amazing white sand beach.
the staff were really supportive and helpful and my fellow volunteers were amazing - I couldn't ask for a better place to be in.
I recommend this project for anyone who wants to make his little change in the world while living in Heaven with a warm and welcoming community!

All was well

Thank God all was well. The vibes in Zanzibar encourages one to develop a positive character. Trying to adopt good qualities of the self here is easy because if you try to do so, you would be swimming with the tide as opposed to swimming against it.

Poa

Poa means all is good. In terms of housing and food everything was more than perfect. The best part of the experience is walking on the beach and starting random conversations with people you never met before. It is as if you knew them for life.

Hakuna matata Zanzibar

My time in Zanzibar has been amazing. I cant believe that its already over. I am glad that I have met so many different people in such a short time and that I had the opportunity to work for African Impact. Also if there were hard times sometimes it was my task to make it and I tried to do my best for all of my students. I am looking forward to come back to visit all this amazing people on this island which I met and to have the chance to see them again.

My experience in general

When I arrived here in Zanzibar, I had no idea what was going to happen. After two months I look back, this experience was just amazing. Everyone must do this project, I'll take a lot of knowledge with me home.