Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Teach English to children and adults on Zanzibar Island

2 amazing months

I spent 2 months in the project, my first week was a little bit slow because everything was new but my 8 weeks went so fast and I can't believe that it's the end, it was incredible, I will not forget!

Asante sana Zanzibar

It was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had and I would do it again a hundred times. I met amazing people (locals and volunteers) and had the possibility to learn a lot about the wonderful African culture.

Zanzibar - the perfect place to volunteer

I have had an amazing time here in Zanzibar, you can live so close with the local people and learn to understand their culture and way of living. The students really want to learn something and are open for everything and you notice that they really want to learn something and they respect you, even though you aren't a real teacher. The project managers informed us well, and the mood in the house, between the volunteers and the staff was great. The activities out of the project were very nice and we enjoyed a lot of different things at the weekends. If i have the opportunity I loved to come back once :)

Zanzibar teaching and community project

This was my second time on the project and I loved it as much as I did the first time. It is such a unique experience here and it is amazing to directly live in the village with the people next door. It is so great to see how much they welcome us being here and how much every student enjoys the lessons. Each lesson you finish gives you the feeling that you really can make an impact.

Zanzibar teaching and community project

I spent 3 weeks in the Zanzibar teaching and community project and really enjoyed the time here. You are located in a nice house directly at the stunning beautiful beach of Jambiani.

We had to teach adults as well as nursery school children. It was so nice to see their willingness to learn. It it the perfect teaching situation: Both, teachers and students, voluntarily spend their time to learn respectively to teach. You can imagine that this is a very fruitful combination.

All people in the town are very respectful. They treat you as your teacher not as a tourist. Children as shouting "teacher, teacher" when they see you on your bike.

The project managers are very professional. Harry and Sherice do everything to keep a good organization. And believe me, there are lots of things that need to be organized. African Impact can be proud to have 2 so enthusiastic people on board!

To sum up: It was a great experience to be here on the project. I stayed in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I could help the people to increase their chances on the job market. I got an deep insight in the local peoples daily life. And last but not least I spent time with lovely people, like Harry, Sheriece and Dulla.

Highlights of my AI experience

It was an amazing experience to teach with African Impact, the people, the environment and the children. It felt so nice being a little part of this community and help with the education of the children and adults of all age.
But my experience here in Jambiani thought me way more then i have thought to the children. It thought me how to be responsible, how you can be kind in any way of life, how even the smallest things can make someone smile and grateful we have to be for what we already have.

African Impact Zanzibar education & community development

I spent 3 weeks in Zanzibar on this project, which have been so amazing. The project is extremely well organised and you are well supported throughout your stay, both on project and in leisure time!!!

"Jambo, teacher!"

I stayed 3 weeks in Jambiani as a volunteer. In the morning we went to two nursery schools and in the afternoon we taught English to the the adults and to a group of women. The people here are so friendly!

My review

Had a great time! High above my expectations!
You get the opportunity to meet new people,culture,habits and lifestyle.
Be part of the community.
Recommend to everyone have such an amazing experience :)

Teaching and community project - Zanzibar

I've spent two weeks here in Jambiani; having volunteered previously, I have been totally impressed by the way that African Impact is run in order to ensure the best outcomes for the community it supports. There is a wonderful sense of partnership with the locals, meaning you are always met with a warm welcome,
The project supports people of many ages, providing education in order to allow the people of Jambiani to support themselves sustainably. One of the most rewarding parts for me has been teaching a small adult class who choose to come for their own knowledge to enhance their opportunities in life; being a part of that is an incredible thing. I've enjoyed every minute, have met some lovely people along the way and learnt many life lessons!

The project is not professional

The project is not professional. We pay an about 100$ per a day. How is the money used, we cant see. no methods, no equipment, no teachers. all what we have is only the donations that the volunteers brought. We don't understand the children, they don't understand us. What can 19 years old volunteer do in 2-4 weeks?

Teaching and community project

I was nine weeks in the teaching and community project and I learned a lot of new things and I really enjoyed the time as a teacher. How to teach children in the nursery class and the adult class in kidenga.

Unforgettable experience

My time here in Jambiani was amazing! I didn't know what it will be like and it was totally new for me to be teaching, but my experience is only positive and I would recommend this project to everyone who would like to be part of a wonderful organization which has got a big impact. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I never want to leave this place

My time here has been amazing,would not have done it any other way! Everyone is wonderful and friendly, from the staff to the community to the other volunteers. It had been eye opening and unbelievably educational. :)

Heaven is a place on earth!

The 6 weeks on this project were amazing, it was a once in a lifetime experience and one I will always remember. we spent our days teaching nursery kids and adults, working on the land - planting trees and building a school from scratch(!!) using Eco bricks and eating dinners under the stars with local women, and the best part in all of it was living on Jambiani's amazing white sand beach.
the staff were really supportive and helpful and my fellow volunteers were amazing - I couldn't ask for a better place to be in.
I recommend this project for anyone who wants to make his little change in the world while living in Heaven with a warm and welcoming community!

All was well

Thank God all was well. The vibes in Zanzibar encourages one to develop a positive character. Trying to adopt good qualities of the self here is easy because if you try to do so, you would be swimming with the tide as opposed to swimming against it.

Poa

Poa means all is good. In terms of housing and food everything was more than perfect. The best part of the experience is walking on the beach and starting random conversations with people you never met before. It is as if you knew them for life.

Hakuna matata Zanzibar

My time in Zanzibar has been amazing. I cant believe that its already over. I am glad that I have met so many different people in such a short time and that I had the opportunity to work for African Impact. Also if there were hard times sometimes it was my task to make it and I tried to do my best for all of my students. I am looking forward to come back to visit all this amazing people on this island which I met and to have the chance to see them again.

My experience in general

When I arrived here in Zanzibar, I had no idea what was going to happen. After two months I look back, this experience was just amazing. Everyone must do this project, I'll take a lot of knowledge with me home.

Finally i did it

It was a great experience for me . Together with my daughter.

I finally did it. I was thinking a long time ,of doing this and I will do this again. .First I was thinking I am to old for this advent-er but I realize ,when I don t do it, I will regret this all my live

don't worry be happy!!!

at the beginning it was a little strange but i have to settle in i think...a few days later it went ok and i find my way at the nursery class and the adults to it was the best time of my life and thanks to every one big hug colinda from halland!!!

Zanzibar experience

My stay in Zanzibar was unfortunately rather short, two weeks -which to some might sound a reasonable amount of time, as it did to me at first. However, in an exciting place like Jambiani time flies. After having a couple of days to adjust and prepare for the teaching I had a great time delivering my knowledge to the students and it was very exciting and wonderful to build a connection with each student. I would definitely try to stay longer if I get the opportunity to come back to this magical place.

My volunteer experience

I have been in the volunteering for a month, i had an amazing experience, the other volunteers were very nice, the people from the village were kind and nice. just one thing that was not good its the administration. the manager wasn't good manager her didn't know hoe to deal with the volunteers, he treat us like we are working for him. in general the whole administration wasn't organize.

• African Impact responded to this review March 29, 2017 at 12:39 AM

Dear Tamar.

Thank you for your review and taking the time to offer us your thoughts.

We appreciate your comments and points regarding areas that can improved within the project, particularly regarding the information you received before project and support you received during your time with us.

We attempt to ensure that throughout our detailed pre-arrival communication and during your welcome induction that we cover the key areas of the Project, specifically by providing you with a Weekly Schedule before your arrival and by directing you to our permanent wall-mounted version. Additionally we also do everything in our power to ensure that you receive the preparation information and delivery guidance you need to deliver key elements of the project such as Teach the Teachers, we encourage all our Volunteers to attend weekly preparation meetings to ensure that they receive the appropriate information and as Staff we retain an ‘open door policy’ 12 hours a day to ensure that you have every opportunity to bring such concerns and worries to us during your time at project rather than at the conclusion.

We will ensure in the future that we are more forthcoming with our requests for feedback and individual perception of progress, thank you for raising this point.
    In regards to the support you receive in engaging with the Nursery Children and Local community through their native language (Swahili), we provide twice weekly lessons and ready guidance from all our local staff which we highly encourage all Volunteers to attend to ensure that they do not experience similar difficulties to the ones you highlight. We share your disappointment that you feel you were unable to communicate with them effectively. Again, we encourage all Volunteers to raise these and similar challenges with us during their stay so we are able to work together to overcome them, rather than at the end.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experiences and thoughts.

Kind Regards,

The Zanzibar Team.

African Impact Jambiani

I was very happy with the experience
The program is very well run and the staff very supporting in many different levels
You can see that the project really contributes to the local community and the volunteers are always welcomed no matter where they go
Living in Zanzibar is incredible; Jambiani is a unique place with incredible beach.
The project is amazing!!! Very well recommended

My time in Jambiani

I stayed in Jambiani for two weeks and volunteered. I was in the teaching project, I loved teaching the kids. They gave me back so much joy and love. I will take a lot of wisdom with me when I leave, it was a wonderful experience I will never forget.