Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town

Cape Town Sports Development Project 2018

Before I arrived in Cape Town I was very excited yet apprehensive as i was travelling alone for a month, however, from the moment I was greeted at the airport I felt at complete ease with the next 30 days being the fastest yet best time of my life. I have made so many amazing new friends who I already plan to meet again in the future, as well as staff at the Lionhouse that really helped in getting the most out of my experience. On project every day was special, with the work that you complete putting smiles on all the children's faces and in-turn creating memories that i will never forget. I have 2 days left and am already planning my trip back!

The kings review

I loved this program, this is my second time coming here and I feel that I has made just as much of an impact as I did the first time I came here. There are many programs and all the children that you are working with are so cool and fun to hang out with. You should definitely volunteer with African Impact!

Best and most rewarding thing I have ever done

My time as a volunteer for African impact has by far been the most amazing and rewarding thing I have ever done. Therefore, I would highly recommend this program.

My overall stay has been perfect and there is nothing that I can fault. I've met amazing people, made new friends and most importantly have feel like I have made an impact on the community as a whole. Working closely with children and locals whilst carrying out this project has been very eye opening in many ways. I feel like the work I have carried out has not only had an impact on the aforementioned people but has also had a massive impact on myself. I have seen many things which I was oblivious to while living in the UK.

I came to South Africa not knowing what to expect and rather frightened from things I have previously heard and read but I very soon realised that Cape Town is a place full of friendly people with an amazing culture and I will definitely be making an appearance here again in the near future.

My experience Cape Town-South Africa

Throughout my 2 weeks in Cape Town I can honestly say that the 2 weeks I spent have been some of the best of my life. I first came to Cape Town with a mixture of dread and excitement, and being 17 travelling on my own for the first time you can understand why! If you are younger I would recommend coming with a small or big group of friends if you are planning to volunteer as it lets you settle in quicker and prevents feelings of homesickness. When I first arrived everyone was so welcoming including the other volunteers. The rules and code of conduct are very structured and organised. Also the staff are very trustworthy of you from day one and so you feel you have the freedom to do what you want during free times without having to worry about being controlled all the time. I for one appreciated this greatly as we had the trust of the staff but also good knowledge of the boundaries African Impact had set. My 3 objectives to complete during this trip were to: Make new friends, have fun, and make the children as happy as I could. During these 2 weeks I have completed each one. I've made new friends which I feel I feel I will have for life, I have experienced greatly both Muizenberg and Cape Town as well as other townships which I have travelled to, to help the impoverished families and... the best bit about the whole trip is enabling people and making a difference to people's lives which gives you a very special feeling. I can't wait to come back again and hopefully have an even better experience!

Best decision I made this year

When I came here I didn't know what to expect, but as soon as I arrived I felt immediately in place. That's probably why I extended after 3 days. Overall you see such a different side of townships than you think. The kids are amazing and so happy to see you and the only thing you do is spending time with them and giving them attention. Besides that, you build up so much relationships with the other volunteers, which is very great. The staff and people involved with African Impact are very engaged and welcoming. To come to a conclusion, my time in Africa has been amazing and gave me so much inside in my own fortunate, I also learned a lot about myself and became stronger as a person. Coming here was one of the best decisions I made this year. Thanks for everything!

Getting engaged in the project

Coming to the project you have to have an open mind and be ready to do anything required. The kids never failed to make their energy contagious and spread, which straight away got me involved and wanting to help them in any way possible. I wish that I came with a better idea of what I was completely doing so that I would be able to jump straight in and make a larger impact with the small amount of time that I had.

Cape Town sports - 2018

I have had an unforgettable experience in Cape Town, being given the opportunity to work alongside the amazing children we are here to support and the Grannies at GAPA will be something I will treasure for a very long time. This amazing opportunity has helped me to decided weather or not to further my Studies in Teaching, with the answer that I will continue. Big Shout out to all the staff and fellow volunteers at African Impact, you have made my time truly the best Thank you all so so much, and don't worry; I'll be back!

Gucci

Absolutely amazing. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, I settled in straight away. Everything is well organised, you know exactly where to be and when.Working on project everyday is so much fun and there are so many added opportunities available. Huge love to all the staff they improved the experience so much and are such fun to be around. My biggest regret is not staying longer but you know sometimes mans got to go Greece for a tan. Special mention to GAPA, that was such a precious place and takes an important place in my heart. Everyone there is so inspirational. I'm quite sure its not a case of will I come back but when I'll come back! Want to say a massive thank you for everyone I met whilst out there all so Gucci. Best time ever!

Stay at African Impact

First of all I want to say that I didn’t expect to have such a feest time whit such great people. I want to thank you all for everything.

On the project: to see all the children smiling and having such good fun did me really good. I felt useful and appreciated by the coaches and the children.

Very good experience

Very good experience overall, especially the stay in the house. Furthermore I really enjoyed working with the kids during the mornings and in the afternoons, seeing the joy and happiness most of the times made my day.

Sports volunteer

I really feel that i have made an impact even though i only spent two weeks on project.
Being part of the sports development team was an amazing experience. We worked well as a team to get the children (500+) through their assessments in a fun and efficient way. Also being able to teach the children new sports drills and skills was so rewarding and something ill never forget.
The environment at the house was perfect. I felt so at home and made great friendships with all the volunteers and staff.

African Impact sports

This project has exceeded my expectations by far. From the start everyone was so welcoming and made the Lion House feel like a home. All the staff are so approachable and kind; the volunteers on the project also made the time here so much more enjoyable. For me, GAPA has been the highlight of my stay: seeing the children's smiles and laughs when we arrive. Similarly, working with the grannies and coaches from the school has been eye-opening as we have heard stories about their past and lives which has helped me to become more grateful about the smaller things in life. I would 100% recommend volunteering with African Impact to help make a difference on a fun and inspiring project.

The best time

I have really had the best time here in Cape Town. The staff and volunteers have all been amazing and you feel like a family after just a small time. The project have really been fantastic, to see how happy the kids are and you can really see you are doing an impact.

Sports coaching in Cape Town

Whilst the experience was not exactly what I had in mind on arrival I had a blast. I was expecting more 'structured' coaching but in reality it's more getting all children involved and enjoying physical activity. There is a need to be ready and willing to adapt to situations that aren't really planned for. Most if not all children I dealt with were ready to play any game we could devise. An extremely rewarding experience and one I would certainly recommend.

Three months well spent

My three months here have been absolutely incredible, there are no words to describe how lucky I feel to have found African Impact. These months have definitely been the best of my gap year and have taught me so much about South Africa, different cultures here, and life itself. Being surrounded by people from all over the world who come from different cultures gives you such a wide perspective on things.

2 weeks sports/activities program

In the 2 weeks I spent on this program I met one other sports volunteer (Kate Mcbride) who made my life easy in regards to getting involved and planning for day to day activities. The work we do is not so much getting to know the kids on a personal level but more so creating an escape from all there troubles by playing different sports and activities and giving them different ideas about how to improve there skills and talents.

Sports coaching

The aim of my project (sports coaching and development) is very clear and inspiring: helping in development and inspiring communities children to start the practicing of sports. It is an amazing way to educate them and also incentive others to have a healthier life!

Exploring the real Cape Town

I've always wanted to go to Cape Town but not as a tourist - I wanted to see the real Cape Town, see the different sides of the city and African Impact made that possible for me. It's been such a learning, and especially rewarding experience to work on the projects and with the people. It didn't take long for me to know I've made the right decision.

5 weeks sports development

My time in South Africa just flew by. It was a great experience to work with local people and learn about their culture. The lion house is full of good people from all over the world and I will always keep it in a good memory.

Cape Town

One of the most incredible experiences of my life for sure. I was nervous travelling on my own for the first time but the people I've met, both staff and volunteers, are some of the most amazing and welcoming I've had the pleasure to meet. The projects are so interesting and exciting and the impact had is so clearly seen as is the future plan which is great to see. Cape Town as a city was incredible with such diversity and variety throughout. Amazing is the only word I can think of to describe it!

Best Experience Ever

Volunteering with African Impact was the highlight of my 6 month travel adventure. I never thought I'd be able to have a "favourite place" but this was definitely it! The projects I worked on, the staff, and my interaction with the community has changed me in indescribable ways.

A quick but fantastic visit

This was definitely one of the most enjoyable two weeks I've had in my life! The staff were immediately super friendly and inviting, even before departure in the emails and notices I received ensuring I had a safe and informed arrival. The fellow volunteers were all such wonderful individuals who all brought their own unique strengths and personalities to project everyday, creating an upbeat and collaborative environment through which we got to interact with such beautiful, smart, and happy kids each day. I will never forget the happiness and curiosity of the children of Cape Town, and I am truly inspired by their open hearts and minds. Thank you to everyone involved for the wonderful experience and for sharing your beautiful cultures with me, including the staff, fellow volunteers, and the local communities. You will all be missed!

More then just faces

Arriving in a new country without knowing anyone personally can be quite worrisome. When I got to the Lion House there were a flood of people. These people were warm and welcoming, and many were just as curious as I was as to what was going to happen. At project you see so many more faces. You see the kids, you see the teachers and the grandmothers. At first all these faces are just the faces of strangers. The more you see these faces, despite who they are, the more important it becomes to see them smiling. After just four short weeks I may not know all the names of the kids, but I know their faces. I got to know the staff and the fellow volunteers. We shared our stories and all learned together. All the faces I was overwhelmed with on my first days became more than just faces. They become family.

Review

I didn't book trough African Impact, but except for one thing I got all the pre-departure information I needed. The only thing I didn't knew was that food in the weekend was't included. The location of the Lion house couldn't be better. It's close to a supermarket and a lot of nice bars and restaurants. The fact that we had to call Obsid every time we left after 8 was a really good thing, it gave me a very safe feeling. Something that I really liked about my trip, is that there is a perfect balance between working and free time. The weekend activity's, especially the community tour' were very nice! Overall I had an amazing experience and these two weeks flew by.

Volunteering at South Africa

These two weeks were probably the best experience of my life. The other volunteers, the staff and the locals are all wonderful people. Especially the local kids on the projects are amazing, they give so much love and are full of positive energy. I recommend this to everyone from every age. It was definitely life changing!