Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town

Make a difference

I believe that we are put on this planet to make a difference. The choices we make determine that difference and indeed define who we are. Coming here for whatever duration will make a difference and in ways you will not always see or understand. Teaching children a new song or helping a child make their first impressions with a crayon on a piece of paper are obviously tangible, but just spending time with the children, showing an interest in what they are doing are recognising their achievements is something many of us take for granted but for many children here it is not often the case and you can see the delight they take in being able to shine". "
This is a fantastic concept and long may it continue.
And no a bad place to spend your weekends!!! I doubt you will find this combination anywhere else in the world.
Make a difference.

More then just faces

Arriving in a new country without knowing anyone personally can be quite worrisome. When I got to the Lion House there were a flood of people. These people were warm and welcoming, and many were just as curious as I was as to what was going to happen. At project you see so many more faces. You see the kids, you see the teachers and the grandmothers. At first all these faces are just the faces of strangers. The more you see these faces, despite who they are, the more important it becomes to see them smiling. After just four short weeks I may not know all the names of the kids, but I know their faces. I got to know the staff and the fellow volunteers. We shared our stories and all learned together. All the faces I was overwhelmed with on my first days became more than just faces. They become family.

Capetown summer volunteering

It has been a very eyeopening experience that has helped me broaden my horizons and give me a different way on how i see the world. Since the first day this has just been a very exciting trip and each day just gets better. As the activities throughout the day differentiate

4 weeks of Sports Development

During my time with African Impact I arrived just as the school holidays started so I didn't know what to except! During my 4 week stay with African Impact on the Sports Development project I got to do and experience more than some other sport volunteers would experience. I got to work with a group of teens who were completing The Presidents Award who chose Athletics as their physical activity component; I got to help coach them through the different athletic events, helped to correct their technique for some of the field events as well as encouraged them to improve their times and scores each day. Some of my time was also spent in a Pre-school giving them an opportunity to participate in games and structured sporting activities; where I also got to par-take in some teaching experience through their structured activities before we got stuck into sports.My last week in Cape Town was the first week the schools got back after holidays which meant I got to experience the usual routine of Sport Development within the schools. I got to work along side the coaches within the two schools, planning different activities and games for all the school ages, to ensure that the children had the best experiences through sport. Being able to experience so much during these 4 weeks due to the different routines, activities and sports made my time here much more enjoyable and rewarding. My whole time with African Impact was the most amazing experience ever, I got to help make an impact on some of the children's lives through new skills within sport, it has also helped me with my coaching skills; as I had to adapt my coaching slightly to help with the language barrier in some activities, I got to work with great dedicated staff during planning and when out on project and also experiencing a new culture while meeting new friends for life. Can't recommend African Impact and the Sport Development project enough and I'll defiantly be back in the future!!

An excellent experience - even when traveling alone

Working with African impact has been nothing short of an outstanding experience, from the first email with Jess to my last day at the house. The staff of Tom, Kaylee, Jen, Michelle, Jess Leo, Erin, Shane, Thulani, Sandiso, Zandi, Shakey and Jane are some of the most passionate people I have ever met. Their drive, encouragement, enthusiasm and helpful manner has made this entire experience one I will never forget, so much so I would love to come back! They make the house a safe place and no question is left unanswered.

Working with Children who come from challenging backgrounds has been a particular highlight. They are warm, friendly and welcoming and are very much appreciative of the work you do with them. Working on the projects can be demanding and rewarding. Approaching them with an open mind and the ability to adopt to any circumstances will make this experience as amazing as mine has been.

My stay @ the Lionhouse

I really enjoyed being here, with all the people. I've only been here for a week, and if it was possible, I would love to stay at least one week longer. That is because you need a week to understand how it works at the projects and what is normal at the lionhouse for the other people who have been there before I came in. And also because a week is really short, and I actually had one of the best weeks of my life so far. I've learned a lot, like how to teach the children important things, the alphabet and counting, and the difference between the children here and the children back home. I enjoyed my stay because the people I've been with at the house. They were really nice and open to me, even tho I am really young and I came in to a group who have already been there for more than a week. I really enjoyed my stay at the lionhouse, and I would recommend it to other people! I hope I will come back at one day.

Experience of your life

African Impact will supply you with one of the most eye opening experiences of your life. Being placed in the Sports program at the Cape Town - Projects, I was able to experience life outside the touristy environment of Cape Towns waterfront. The staff makes incredible steps to ensure your safety, not only in the community you are housed, but also in the townships you volunteer in. They provide a structured daily routine from Monday to Friday. This allows you to know when you need to be prepared and when its time to relax or explore the gorgeous city around you. On the weekends, the staff will help you to develop a plan for excursions or activities that will bring your trip over the top. This will include tours of the town ships or city, and anything from sky diving to group hikes up Table Mountain.

Working with African Impact will be an experience you'll never forget. It will help to open your mind as you create new friends and new experiences. One of the most heart warming ways to learn about the Cape Town area.

Two of the best weeks of my life.

Before I came I wasn't really sure what to expect, but knowing someone who had done the same project the year before played a massive part in persuading me to come. The past 2 weeks have gone so quickly and have honestly been 2 of the best weeks of my life. The people I've met both as part of the sport development project and the other volunteers in the house have all been so welcoming and really make you feel part of a family. Doing the sport development programme allowed me to see the difference between primary school physical education here and back home - or the lack of physical education here. It's so nice when you see all the children enjoying themselves and laughing, which makes you feel like you're truly making an impact in their lives, which wouldn't be possible without the help of the volunteers - during my 2 weeks the coaches were away doing a disney project at other schools around South Africa, so me and the other sports volunteers were able to keep the P.E classes going whilst they were away. The past 2 weeks have given me a completely different outlook on life, seeing the children who have barely anything, still so happy is so heartwarming and emphasizes that you don't need materialistic things to be happy.

Volunteering at African Impact in Cape Town, South Africa

This experience has with no doubts been the best one so far in my life. Cape Town is the most amazing city and you can do everything you want here. Working in the townships has taught me so much more about the situation in Cape Town, and I could see and experience that they need our help. Every day I met the most adorable kids with a big smile on their faces, with energy and excitement for doing sports. The living situation was not what I expected, but still manageable. At one point when we were many volunteers here, the house was super overcrowded and messy. No warm water and no wifi even though we paid for it. There is a lot of equipment everywhere and bad space. My program was Sports Development with OVC as part time project. I am very happy with this combination. Being a sport coach was hard work but very rewarding. You could see the kids improve and that the job you did actually made a difference. The only thing is that you have so many different kids through the day, witch means you don't have time to get to know anyone at the same level as you do in for example Fikelela. But now that I'm sitting here, I have the best memories and I don't regret my choice at all. OVC had a good combination of GAPA and Home From Home. I loved being at both places and connect with the kids there. Overall, my experience as a volunteer with African Impact has been amazing and I'm never going to forget it.

Short but sweet

Being apart of this organisation even for the short period of time that i have stayed has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Its hard to explain exactly how being apart of such a life changing program really makes you feel. From the day I stepped off the plane i was greeted with big smiles and warm welcomes, now i feel like I've made life long friends and life long family not only with other volunteers but with the staff as well. The support and love that you receive is overwhelming. It is so amazing to be surrounded by constant positivity and encouragement everyday. As for volunteering itself, i really came into this experience with no expectations but to be completely open to whatever i get thrown into. First day i arrived early in the morning where i then headed off to project that afternoon and was completely mind blown by the amount of love and kindness these kids with so little give to us and their friends. Sports development program was what i volunteered in for my two week stay. I think only being here for a short period of time sports was a good choice for me. The children have so much energy and you're guaranteed to have lots of fun and laughs with them. Only negative would be the amount of time that i did stay. I personally think if you want to feel like you're making a huge impact stay longer! Once you finally get settled and form really amazing relationships with everyone it's time to pack your bags and leave. Overall, these past two weeks have taught be a lot about myself and to be more aware with whats going on around me. Trying new things, meeting new people and opening my eyes past what is right in front of me.

An excellent three weeks

Great experiences with great people. Very eye opening and educational. Would suggest to keep an open mind when volunteering with African Impact. A must do experience, it's something you'll remember forever.

African Impact - sports development experience in Cape Town

Working with African Impact has been an amazing experience. The staff are extremely friendly, enthusiastic and an inspiration. Working on the Sports project has been an absolute pleasure, from working with the children and watching them improve to partnering with the coaches at Sporting Chance.
The people that you meet volunteering are brilliant. They share the same values and they have the same drive motivations which leads to a really effective team. I am so proud to have been affiliated with African Impact and the work they do in these communities.

Best 2 weeks of my life

I actually didn't think I would be sad after staying here for only 2 weeks. But here I'm 2 weeks later, starving to get back to Cape Town, play with the kids and get back to my family in the volunteer house. I expected a lot of emotional times where thought about the kids I play with daily and the situation every family has it in these Townships. But I didn't think I would feel this connection to the other volunteers like I do now. That's the hard part, cause I know I will be back here volunteering with African Impact. But this house i live in know with all these great persons living here... I might not see them again and I might be unlucky to get another family next time i volunteer here that I am not that happy for.

But these 2 weeks has been life changing, and I can not write it in words how much I've changed as a person. It's so weird.
I will never forget this. I'm so proud of my self that I did this.
A huge thank you from Norway.

I'll see you all again, soon.

Tamara's review

I had a really great time doing the sports coaching and orphan care program, I would recommend it! The projects were well organised and the staff were great, lots of energy and ideas from everyone, everyone made me feel very welcome. The house is great for a volunteer house and i met amazing friends on my journey. I would definitely come back to volunteer through African Impact.

Sports coaching experience

This project has been fantastic. I have really enjoyed my time here in South Africa and enjoyed the whole experience. Everything about the project from working with less fortunate children and teaching them sports to meeting new people and living with them and exploring doing exciting things with them for 2 weeks has been by far the best experience ever.

Awesome African Impact

Incredible people and amazing staff who are very easy to get on with. Outstanding work rate and effort to ensure the children are treated and helped in the best way possible. Wish i stayed for longer.

10 reasons to volunteer with African Impact

6. You appreciate everything and everyone around you so much more
7. Cape Town is an beautiful place to explore
8. Another place becomes a home (it's called obs!) with a new family
9. You learn a simple life is a happy one
10. You'll never want to leave!

As someone who has never volunteered before I wasn't sure what to expect or whether it would be the right thing for me. I have found the whole experience incredible and I would recommend it to anyone. You won't regret it!

My Time at the Lion house

I truly enjoyed my time in Cape Town volunteering and living in the Lion house. The volunteer work was engaging and very involved and I found we made an obvious impact with the children. It was great to see development in their skills and the joy in which they received us each and every day. The Lion house itself was also incredible. "Obs" is a very cool neighbourhood with everything you would ever need close by. The staff are not only impeccably helpful but also very friendly and great people to just hang out with. I also loved the accommodation and and made some great friendships in the house that I will never forget.

My south african experience.

My time in Cape Town, South Africa is one i will never forget. From the second i walked through the lion house gates it felt welcoming, the staff and volunteers friendly and the house homely. I've met great people who i know i will remain in contact with. and most importantly the impact that has been made volunteering has been phenomenal, everything is organised, planned, fun and when you drive through the gates where your project takes place you can see the smiles on every child's face and how much they enjoy and appreciate your presence.

Children are a reward, gift and blessing of life

My 2 weeks at African Impact in Cape Town has been a life lesson that I will treasure an forever take with me in the next chapter of my life. I came here to help the kids and make sure that I leave a positive environment for them. The truth will have to be that the kids and the staff I've worked with have have helped me to mature and grow as a person , as well as creating an amazing atmosphere that words, emotions and feelings can't describe. I am very grateful I was allowed to take part in this wonderful experience and I believe this journey has been amazing and would recommend everyone to follow in my footsteps.

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to chance the world - Nelson Mandela

African Impact has given me a huge chance to start my adventure and take steps towards where i want to be in the future. To have the opportunity to work abroad in a foreign culture and experience a different way of living is so important to help me broaden my mind. All the staff have been extremely professional and are so passionate about what they are doing. The children have been a blessing and were the main reason i wanted to come on this journey but all the people involved in the project have helped it become such a great experience. I have just finished my first year of University studying Sport so its great experience that can benefit me for the future. Whilst on project I have always felt so confident due to the staff being so supportive and allowing me to be myself and help the children have fun and learn. The city of Cape Town is so diverse and there are lots of things to do here.

Sports Development Cape Town

I thoroughly enjoyed my time volunteering for African Impact, the project delivered all that I had hoped and allowed me to take part in a diverse range of activities and classes. I felt as though I was making a difference at every school and club that I visited in my two week stay. I would highly recommend this project to anyone looking to use sport as a way to help people.

Voluteering with African Impact

Amazing experience and exceeded all my expectations I had for the programme. Cape Town, South Africa is a beautiful city rich in spirit. During my time here I have developed as a person as well as having two of the best weeks of my life.

My time volunteering in Cape Town

I arrived to Cape Town after spending two not-so-good weeks volunteering on a Game Reserve and was unsure of what to expect. The sports development project offered by African Impact in Cape Town has exceeded all of my expectations. The staff, the accommodation, the project and Cape Town in general has been amazing. I will never forget being apart of the sports project - being able to see and feel the difference you make everyday on project is incredible. I wish I stayed for longer than two weeks!

Awesome Cape Town Volunteering Experience

Having volunteered elsewhere, I was blown away by my experience with African Impact. The program was so well organised and you could really see the impact your work was having in the communities around Cape Town.