Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town

2 weeks sports/activities program

In the 2 weeks I spent on this program I met one other sports volunteer (Kate Mcbride) who made my life easy in regards to getting involved and planning for day to day activities. The work we do is not so much getting to know the kids on a personal level but more so creating an escape from all there troubles by playing different sports and activities and giving them different ideas about how to improve there skills and talents.

Sports coaching

The aim of my project (sports coaching and development) is very clear and inspiring: helping in development and inspiring communities children to start the practicing of sports. It is an amazing way to educate them and also incentive others to have a healthier life!

My sevens weeks in Cape town

If someone told me 1 year ago that I would travel by myself to a country I've never visited before and to speak a language that isn't my first language I would just laugh. But here I am after seven incredible weeks in Cape town volunteering for African Impact and I couldn't be more satisfied. If you ever hesitate coming here, don't. Coming here was one of the best decisions in my life and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Exploring the real Cape Town

I've always wanted to go to Cape Town but not as a tourist - I wanted to see the real Cape Town, see the different sides of the city and African Impact made that possible for me. It's been such a learning, and especially rewarding experience to work on the projects and with the people. It didn't take long for me to know I've made the right decision.

Cape town 2017

Great projects, do a lot of good work in the local communities. Well run and lots of support for volunteers. Great city to be in with loads to do. Very good fun as well as being a meaningful and helpful experience.

5 weeks sports development

My time in South Africa just flew by. It was a great experience to work with local people and learn about their culture. The lion house is full of good people from all over the world and I will always keep it in a good memory.

Cape Town

One of the most incredible experiences of my life for sure. I was nervous travelling on my own for the first time but the people I've met, both staff and volunteers, are some of the most amazing and welcoming I've had the pleasure to meet. The projects are so interesting and exciting and the impact had is so clearly seen as is the future plan which is great to see. Cape Town as a city was incredible with such diversity and variety throughout. Amazing is the only word I can think of to describe it!

Best Experience Ever

Volunteering with African Impact was the highlight of my 6 month travel adventure. I never thought I'd be able to have a "favourite place" but this was definitely it! The projects I worked on, the staff, and my interaction with the community has changed me in indescribable ways.

A quick but fantastic visit

This was definitely one of the most enjoyable two weeks I've had in my life! The staff were immediately super friendly and inviting, even before departure in the emails and notices I received ensuring I had a safe and informed arrival. The fellow volunteers were all such wonderful individuals who all brought their own unique strengths and personalities to project everyday, creating an upbeat and collaborative environment through which we got to interact with such beautiful, smart, and happy kids each day. I will never forget the happiness and curiosity of the children of Cape Town, and I am truly inspired by their open hearts and minds. Thank you to everyone involved for the wonderful experience and for sharing your beautiful cultures with me, including the staff, fellow volunteers, and the local communities. You will all be missed!

Make a difference

I believe that we are put on this planet to make a difference. The choices we make determine that difference and indeed define who we are. Coming here for whatever duration will make a difference and in ways you will not always see or understand. Teaching children a new song or helping a child make their first impressions with a crayon on a piece of paper are obviously tangible, but just spending time with the children, showing an interest in what they are doing are recognising their achievements is something many of us take for granted but for many children here it is not often the case and you can see the delight they take in being able to shine". "
This is a fantastic concept and long may it continue.
And no a bad place to spend your weekends!!! I doubt you will find this combination anywhere else in the world.
Make a difference.

More then just faces

Arriving in a new country without knowing anyone personally can be quite worrisome. When I got to the Lion House there were a flood of people. These people were warm and welcoming, and many were just as curious as I was as to what was going to happen. At project you see so many more faces. You see the kids, you see the teachers and the grandmothers. At first all these faces are just the faces of strangers. The more you see these faces, despite who they are, the more important it becomes to see them smiling. After just four short weeks I may not know all the names of the kids, but I know their faces. I got to know the staff and the fellow volunteers. We shared our stories and all learned together. All the faces I was overwhelmed with on my first days became more than just faces. They become family.

Review

I didn't book trough African Impact, but except for one thing I got all the pre-departure information I needed. The only thing I didn't knew was that food in the weekend was't included. The location of the Lion house couldn't be better. It's close to a supermarket and a lot of nice bars and restaurants. The fact that we had to call Obsid every time we left after 8 was a really good thing, it gave me a very safe feeling. Something that I really liked about my trip, is that there is a perfect balance between working and free time. The weekend activity's, especially the community tour' were very nice! Overall I had an amazing experience and these two weeks flew by.

Volunteering at South Africa

These two weeks were probably the best experience of my life. The other volunteers, the staff and the locals are all wonderful people. Especially the local kids on the projects are amazing, they give so much love and are full of positive energy. I recommend this to everyone from every age. It was definitely life changing!

Life and times of an African Impact volunteer

It is compulsory that this section is at least three sentences. Therefore, I am writing filler to complete the character count. Sorry Jen, words really ain't my thing as I said; tbf the review on the feedback form help sheet sums it all up pretty nicely so let's just roll with that ;)

Capetown summer volunteering

It has been a very eyeopening experience that has helped me broaden my horizons and give me a different way on how i see the world. Since the first day this has just been a very exciting trip and each day just gets better. As the activities throughout the day differentiate

Will Herbert's review

I have really enjoyed my time here at African Impact, the people here are lovely and you really feel like your part of a family. helping the kids is amazing and very rewarding and i highly recommend it!

4 weeks of Sports Development

During my time with African Impact I arrived just as the school holidays started so I didn't know what to except! During my 4 week stay with African Impact on the Sports Development project I got to do and experience more than some other sport volunteers would experience. I got to work with a group of teens who were completing The Presidents Award who chose Athletics as their physical activity component; I got to help coach them through the different athletic events, helped to correct their technique for some of the field events as well as encouraged them to improve their times and scores each day. Some of my time was also spent in a Pre-school giving them an opportunity to participate in games and structured sporting activities; where I also got to par-take in some teaching experience through their structured activities before we got stuck into sports.My last week in Cape Town was the first week the schools got back after holidays which meant I got to experience the usual routine of Sport Development within the schools. I got to work along side the coaches within the two schools, planning different activities and games for all the school ages, to ensure that the children had the best experiences through sport. Being able to experience so much during these 4 weeks due to the different routines, activities and sports made my time here much more enjoyable and rewarding. My whole time with African Impact was the most amazing experience ever, I got to help make an impact on some of the children's lives through new skills within sport, it has also helped me with my coaching skills; as I had to adapt my coaching slightly to help with the language barrier in some activities, I got to work with great dedicated staff during planning and when out on project and also experiencing a new culture while meeting new friends for life. Can't recommend African Impact and the Sport Development project enough and I'll defiantly be back in the future!!

African Impact review

I have been volunteering for African impact for the past 2 weeks and it has been a very special experience. As soon as you arrive you can join the projects straight away which is great. Spending a lot of time in the townships helps you get a true sense of what South Africa and Cape Town is really about and there is nothing left undiscovered. you also get many opportunities to give back to the communities after you are made to feel so welcome.

An excellent experience - even when traveling alone

Working with African impact has been nothing short of an outstanding experience, from the first email with Jess to my last day at the house. The staff of Tom, Kaylee, Jen, Michelle, Jess Leo, Erin, Shane, Thulani, Sandiso, Zandi, Shakey and Jane are some of the most passionate people I have ever met. Their drive, encouragement, enthusiasm and helpful manner has made this entire experience one I will never forget, so much so I would love to come back! They make the house a safe place and no question is left unanswered.

Working with Children who come from challenging backgrounds has been a particular highlight. They are warm, friendly and welcoming and are very much appreciative of the work you do with them. Working on the projects can be demanding and rewarding. Approaching them with an open mind and the ability to adopt to any circumstances will make this experience as amazing as mine has been.

DJ's review

Everything was amazing this was such an experience helping the children with there sports and outdoor activities. One of my favorite parts was going to the Mandela stadium and helping the children get there presidents awards. I also loved how i got in to shape and learned how to play Foot ball (soccer) a lot better. If you are at your computer trying to decide if this is really a good volunteer program I'm telling you it is and that you will enjoy it and on the weekends you are given the opportunity to do weekend trips activities like skydiving or hiking up Lions Head mountain. I feel as a volunteer and a traveler that this was a great way for me to travel, see knew things and leave my helping touch on South Africa in the Cape Town project.

Everything went well. I had a great time

Volunteering with African Impact - It was a experience. I can not describe the trip because you just need to be there by yourself. After this experience I am looking in a different way to life then before I came to South Africa.

My stay @ the Lionhouse

I really enjoyed being here, with all the people. I've only been here for a week, and if it was possible, I would love to stay at least one week longer. That is because you need a week to understand how it works at the projects and what is normal at the lionhouse for the other people who have been there before I came in. And also because a week is really short, and I actually had one of the best weeks of my life so far. I've learned a lot, like how to teach the children important things, the alphabet and counting, and the difference between the children here and the children back home. I enjoyed my stay because the people I've been with at the house. They were really nice and open to me, even tho I am really young and I came in to a group who have already been there for more than a week. I really enjoyed my stay at the lionhouse, and I would recommend it to other people! I hope I will come back at one day.

Experience of your life

African Impact will supply you with one of the most eye opening experiences of your life. Being placed in the Sports program at the Cape Town - Projects, I was able to experience life outside the touristy environment of Cape Towns waterfront. The staff makes incredible steps to ensure your safety, not only in the community you are housed, but also in the townships you volunteer in. They provide a structured daily routine from Monday to Friday. This allows you to know when you need to be prepared and when its time to relax or explore the gorgeous city around you. On the weekends, the staff will help you to develop a plan for excursions or activities that will bring your trip over the top. This will include tours of the town ships or city, and anything from sky diving to group hikes up Table Mountain.

Working with African Impact will be an experience you'll never forget. It will help to open your mind as you create new friends and new experiences. One of the most heart warming ways to learn about the Cape Town area.

Best decision made!

I was looking into projects which fitted my time restrictions with regards to work and this project fitted perfectly as I only had 2 weeks. Despite such a short time, I feel I've made loads of new friends and contacts, become immersed in the culture, and been able to develop myself as individual. Having had only a little experience of working with kids and as a coach, this gave me the confidence to lead sessions, plan effectively and become a better coach. Even details such as the language difference was not as bad as I initially thought because I learnt so much of the local language by working with the kids and teachers, especially the grannies at GAPA who you will adore! The lion house you stay in is perfect in terms of location as its situated in the quirky area known as Obs so if you want a real culture immersion, it's right there on your doorstep. Food, people, music, you name it. The organisation of the whole project gave me confidence as well as you had regular structure to your day where you would have morning meetings, observations of the days work, set up for the next day. You honestly won't miss a beat as they are on the ball. Lastly the staff themselves are the most amazing people I've met, from the moment Vicki picked me up from the airport, i felt included and part of the family. That's exactly what they are here: a family. Tom, Kaylee, Jen, Leo, Alice, Jane, Shecky, Tuilani, Zandi, Sandiso honestly care about you and want the very best for your future so give this project ago because like you I was nervous, but now I don't want to leave. Cheers guys!

Two of the best weeks of my life.

Before I came I wasn't really sure what to expect, but knowing someone who had done the same project the year before played a massive part in persuading me to come. The past 2 weeks have gone so quickly and have honestly been 2 of the best weeks of my life. The people I've met both as part of the sport development project and the other volunteers in the house have all been so welcoming and really make you feel part of a family. Doing the sport development programme allowed me to see the difference between primary school physical education here and back home - or the lack of physical education here. It's so nice when you see all the children enjoying themselves and laughing, which makes you feel like you're truly making an impact in their lives, which wouldn't be possible without the help of the volunteers - during my 2 weeks the coaches were away doing a disney project at other schools around South Africa, so me and the other sports volunteers were able to keep the P.E classes going whilst they were away. The past 2 weeks have given me a completely different outlook on life, seeing the children who have barely anything, still so happy is so heartwarming and emphasizes that you don't need materialistic things to be happy.