Big Cat & Wildlife Research in Kenya's Maasai Mara Reserve
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Big Cat & Wildlife Research in Kenya's Maasai Mara Reserve

Maasai Mara is the place to go!

African Impact is amazing at organising interesting and educational projects for you to work on. The food throughout my stay was delicious and the accommodation was brilliant. Meeting the locals and the guides from the school gave us constant insight into the Maasai culture and helped us understand the conservancy life better. All the staff were super friendly and helpful and I'm super happy this was my first trip to Africa as I will definitely be Returning! I hope to do another African Impact project soon!

Big Cat Monitor - Shashi Kapur

A two weeks that I will never forget. Having always wanted to go on safari, I have managed to do just that and so much more for a fraction of the price. Seeing such a variety of wildlife in their natural habitat is something that money can't buy and it was amazing to get so close. My unexpected highlight was teaching the children of nkoilale school, an experience I found very humbling. Despite the language barrier I definitely feel that they taught me much more than I taught them. I would recommend this trip to anyone and everyone as it really does open your eyes!

Big Cat monitor

In the two weeks period, we did two animal counts in woodland and plain every week. It is a lot of work but I get a sense of what animal conservationists are doing. We also went to the school and interact with the locals. We go to big cat monitor and find lions, cheetahs, and Leopards. We take photos of them and try to identify who they are when we are back. We also do conservation work twice a week, which gives me a sense of what the local environment is like.

Unique bush experience

I had such an incredible time at the Big Cat project. The staff and other volunteers were knowledgeable, friendly, and endlessly patient with my questions about wildlife and conservation. This experience was a unique way to explore the Mara while contributing to amazing conservation projects.

4 weeks in Naboisho

My 4 weeks on the Masai Mara Big Cat Monitoring Project has been awesome! I really liked staying at Koiyaki guiding school out in the bush, it was so peaceful and quiet. The food was super! I also liked that the camp was so basic, it made me feel closer to nature. The best part was of course the Big Cat Monitoring. I was a bit disappointed that we lost so many hours of Cat Monitoring because of the Game Counts. I understand that Game Counts needs to be done, but I feel that it could have been done a bit more efficient. Also the name of the project is Big Cat monitoring, so I expected to use more time doing exactly that. I really enjoyed the physical conservancy work we did, and wished we could have done more of it every week. The staff on the project were great, and all in all I really enjoyed my stay.

My experience in Naboisho

Overall I think the experience was really interesting. I hope that the work that's going on here in the volunteer program really makes a difference to the conservation. I really enjoyed being apart of the work experience and contributing.

African Impact Mara Big Cat project

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on this project. I was lucky enough to see all the big cats, as well as all sorts of other wildlife. The staff are great, as is the food, and the accommodation although basic, is kept very clean. It was also great to spend time at the local school and with the guiding students. it no feels like my second home!

Adventurous, useful and relaxing breakaway

This was an unforgettable experience. Living here for two weeks and interacting with a new culture definitely gives you a different outlook on life. You are taken away from your mobile phone and from the internet and driven closer to nature. I have learnt to somewhat overcome my fear of bugs, to take interest in birds and trees and to appreciate silence. The landscape is incredible, the food is delicious and the people are so welcoming. I would definitely consider coming back and would recommend this project to anyone who wants to enjoy African wildlife at its best.

Reborn! In the cradle of mankind

I was told 'You'll never know until you go' and so ...I went!

I consider myself immensely fortunate to have had the opportunity to volunteer at The Mara, monitoring the big cats and the resident wildlife at Naboisho Conservancy. African Impact is doing a commendable job in conserving the local wildlife ethic alongside helping the Maasai community stay deeply entrenched in their much celebrated culture and beliefs.

In the spirit of encouraging many more of us to come forth and contribute our time and energy to this beautiful oasis of wildlife, I'm opening my heart to you all via the review, reciprocating the same spirit the Mara and the Maasai embraced me with. Never a dull moment in the life of a volunteer at this project, the activities are very well thought through and put together in an easy to follow routine cum timetable.

All I can tell is that I've seen the light by being in the epicenter of the 'Circle of Life' and my advice to anyone considering this research volunteer opportunity is to 'GO FOR IT'!!

The highly committed and knowledgeable African Impact project camp staff is sincerely dedicated to the project and go beyond the ordinary to instill the same energy and urgency to conserve, in the volunteers.

A big shout out to Francis Saruni, a man of his word and my wonderful Maasai guide and of course Caroline the project manager! They are a dream team ...I was thoroughly looked after and allowed the opportunity to contribute at every step. Rather, we all had equal and fair share of responsibilities through the day.

Another big thank you to the super talented resident chefs Emmanuel and Rubin. They cooked a storm for every meal and I so enjoyed cooking with them over the weekends. Also dearest Soila the magic making housekeeper! She is such a trooper and always on top of her work.

Each of them, always smiling and spirited, doing much more than what was expected of them. Thank you so much !

Last but not the least ...My love for the Wild has surely intensified and there is no way I'm putting my experience and memories in the closet or until my next volunteer opportunity. I'm so looking forward to telling my very own African Impact Maasai Mara story to one and all and spreading the love I got from this very sacred place, I so feel belonged to!

Asante Sana Sana The Mara, Maasai's and African Impact!!!

Naibosho conservancy

This was one of the best things I've done in Africa. Been here 3 times before but this beats it all! You will learn so much about animals, the maasais, how to deal with different problems. It's a lot of fun and you will not regret it. The staff is amazing and if they don't know the answer to your questions immediately they will try to find it.

Naboisho conservancy

Had a great experience here with lots of fun work with animals and lively people working here! I will definitely come back again and can't wait to do so! It has been the best two weeks and I would recommend others coming here not only for the experience but for the good that they do here.

Masai Mara project

Fantastic experience, it has been great taking part in the masai Mara project! We had the opportunity to help preserve and impact the culture, nature and wildlife I the conservancy. All staff and persons working with the project has been most helpful and competent.

Wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone

Such a fantastic two weeks, I was just sad it wasn't longer. We went out on game drives each day to monitor the wildcats, elephants and raptors and every two days some other work to benefit the conservancy such as grass monitoring, road repairs or fence building. We also interacted with the student guides which I was really happy about, they're all incredibly impressive and the amount of information they are able to store is mental! The accommodation was good, basic but certainly no complaints. The food was excellent (Emmanuel is amazing) and I learnt so much. I would seriously recommend this project to anyone. It's a great way to not only learn about the fantastic wildlife and local community but also contribute to it and experience it up close in a way that's really rare.

My African Impact experience

I really enjoyed every moment of my stay, and got to meet some really friendly people, including not only other volunteers, but also all the staff and the students at the guiding school. We also got to see some amazing wildlife, and were always told very interesting information about all the animals we saw. The food was always excellent. The other activities, such as road repairing, really brought us volunteers together as a community.

Amazing experience. Always again!

I had a wonderful time at the Masai Mara Camp. I have been to South Africa before, but I have never seen as much wildlife as I have on the game drives with our wonderful guides Francis, Joseph and David. We interacted with the Koyaki Guiding School students and Caroline explained to us what we have to do game counts, build fences, do road work and monitor the grass for, so I am going home with the feeling that we did make a little difference - to the Community Life and the Maasai Mara Conservancy. On top of all this the food chef Emannuel prepared was delicious. It is a hard place to leave!

The first volunteer experience in life

This is my first time in a volunteer project, and i don't regret choose this project as my first one. I learn a lot during this two weeks, and I really appreciate it. I think I will come back to africa one day, sooner or later.

Meaningful and comfortable experience

It's my first time in Africa and franking speaking, I was kind of concerned about the safety and healthy issues here, but along the way from the initial communication with the colleagues and officers to the following days staying here, I feel the whole adventure is comfortable and meaningful. The staffs here are friendly and the hardwares are good, not to mention the volunteer arrangement. Strongly recommended if you are into the wild.

More than expected

Of course I had big expectations about this project, and worries too!!, but I can say that everything I saw and did was much more than I expected, so I can only say thank you all in Naboisho! I would surely recommend it!!

One new experience in traveler life

It is a new kind of experience for traveling, it's something that we learn from local people who really want to preserve their homeland.
wild animal is sth that i was astonished, the landscape of Kenya is AMAZING.

Big cat

I had a really incredible experience on safari. Staff was amazing. Unfortunately my mother was sick back home so I had to cut my trip a week short. Hopefully I can reuse that week at a later time.

Big 5 African Impact

We have had a fantastic experience over the last week.
Facilities were comfortable, Emanuel the Chef has been preparing delicious food, the programme designed is perfect to get exposed to wildlife and nature. Our guide Saruni was extremely knowledgeable and thought us a great deal about the environment and the conservancy.

Big 5 volunteering

Visited the Africa impact volunteering program in Kenya. It was an incredible experience. The people involved are at the highest level of professionalism. The work has great impact on the conservancy and as a bonus I saw all the animals I could have wished for.

African Impact's impact

I had a great time at the African Impact project with Caroline, Francis and the rest of the team. I was made to feel very welcome at the camp. I spent 4 weeks with them. The wildlife was amazing. The people were incredible. A very rewarding experience.

Third time in Naboisho

The first two times I volunteered here were wonderful.This third time I stayed an extra week and it was absolutely fantastic!

This project ROCKS!!

I strongly recommend African Impact's Big Cat Research Project in Mara Naboisho Conservancy. The staff at the project are outstanding, especially Caroline, the manager; Soila, the housekeeper; Emmanuel, the chef; and Francis, the guide. They are all incredibly professional, knowledgeable, helpful, and (perhaps most importantly) patient and understanding. The animals in the Conservancy were also extremely cooperative: the lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc. all enabled us to collect tremendous data and get outstanding photos!! :)