Big Cat & Wildlife Research in Kenya - Maasai Mara Reserve
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Big Cat & Wildlife Research in Kenya - Maasai Mara Reserve

Experience review

A great experience living two weeks as volunter with the project. The real work with conservancy open my mind about the difficulty that is to manage data in the natural envoirment. Ideed it was a great way to understand the wild behavior and about the way to have sustainable interaction.

It was a job in which we won in the end. Thanks for the opportunity

Big cat & wildlife research, Masai Mara, Kenya evaluation

I loved my time spent with the Big Cat & Wildlife Research project in Masai Mara, Kenya. I enjoyed every minute of it and made many friends along the way. An experience I wont forget! I loved my time spent with the Big Cat & Wildlife Research project in Masai Mara, Kenya. I enjoyed every minute of it and made many friends along the way. An experience I wont forget!

Great wildlife experience

Those two weeks I spent in the big cat monitoring were really great in terms of what is expected by seeing big cats. Naboisho conservancy area has a lot of cats and it really gives the chance to get to see a lot of them during the volunteering period. It was great to see that the work done has a meaningful role in the conservancy studies and projects. Great team that allowed an unforgettable experience. Thanks !!

An unforgettable experience!

Volunteering with African Impact has been amazing from start to finish! The staff are endlessly friendly and helpful and create such a welcoming environment. The volunteering work is amazing, getting to be up close and personal with the animals, watching and monitoring their behavior was so interesting and exciting, it's an experience I will never forget!

An eye opening and rewarding experience

When taking part in the volunteer project i felt that i learnt more than i have with any other project i have been involved in. The staff and other volunteers were so friendly during my stay and made it a very comfortable environment to be in! If given the chance I will definitely be coming back!

Great experience with wild animals

The big cat monitoring program provides a very good opportunity to get in touch with wild animals. Naibosho conservancy located in Masai Mara has very rich wildlife resources and the monitoring program involves us a lot into the conservancy work on wildlife. The 2-week I spent in big cat monitoring program helped me learn and see various species. I was very lucky to witness the amazing moments happening in the nature. The new-born gazelle, killing of the cheetah and lion pride are amazing. The big cat monitoring team has done a great work to provide a good living environment in the bushes. Special thanks to our driver and guide Francis, our chef Ben, our cleaning lady Saila and the project coordinator Carol. They are very kind and nice people to be with.

Naboisho review 2018

I joined the Big Cat Wildlife Research Program in Kenya for the second time. I have joined about five different projects like this and have to say that this is my favorite one. The mixture of working in the wild, getting to know people and different customs and traditions and making new friends abroad is just gorgeous. Hoping that my work and input also have a positive impact makes the experience even better.

Twende to Naboisho

I joined the African Impact project as the closing chapter of an eight month travel around the world. Four months of which were spent in Africa and in particular her game reserves.

For this time, I wanted to move away from passively observing and instead do something more active in protecting and conserving the animals that stare back at us from outside the jeep.

I found out about African Impact from a quick Google search, let me say that the information online doesn't do justice to how special this project is. On a basic level it is the cheapest two weeks of game drives you'll ever get. On a broader level, it is a chance to understand more fully the nature of the human / animal conflicts of the area, and some of the methods deployed to resolve.

There are too many highlights to list them all here. But they include - being part of the African Impact family, the evening hunt for the conservancy's predators, spotting numerous leopards (I saw more here in two weeks than in four months of game drives across Africa), waking up to zebra and antelopes at the toilet block, hearing lion's roar in the night from your bed, understanding the bigger picture of the human / animal habitat conflict, working closely with the brilliant trainee guides at the nearby school, learning Swahili with the locals, knowing you are participating versus just observing. These little things add up to a once in a lifetime experience.

The conservancy itself is stunning. Even if there were no animals, it would be an incredible place to spend two weeks. Being able to work behind the scenes here has been a privilege. Driving off the tracks, heading to the areas you otherwise wouldn't see. Being able to spend time with the big cats of the conservancy without a tail of eight other jeeps. Having visited numerous game reserves etc across Africa, Naboisho is very special.

One of the main reasons Naboisho is so special, is the African Impact crew that work impossibly hard to ensure you have an unforgettable stay. Housekeeping. Chef. Wildlife experts that lead the game drives. Management. It is a family.

Excellent time in paradise

Every day has been an adventure. I have learned so much about all of the animals, plants and other inhabitants of the Mara. The staff is friendly, open, knowledgeable. I loved being part of the team.

Overwhelming experience

It's so hard to know where to start, the whole experience from beginning to end has been absolutely amazing. It has totally exceeded all my expectations. It's so hard to pinpoint what the best aspects of the 2 weeks were, because every part from grass monitoring to big cat monitoring was just spectacular. The staff here are phenomenal, always available and only too happy to assist us with whatever we need, and always ready to answer any questions or queries that arose. The service here, from Francis our guide, Ben our cook, Caroline the manager to Soila our housekeeper, were 10/10, if I could give them a higher rating I would! It's an experience I know I will never forget, and I absolutely plan on returning here in the future.

The best two weeks of my life

This has been my first time traveling alone, my first time volunteering abroad, and my first time in Africa, and I firmly believe I couldn't have chosen a better experience. The program has been very well administered, from the time I first reached out to African Impact through my departure, and the project has felt like home while I've been here (which says a lot coming from a girl who gets homesick very easily). The food has been delicious and plentiful, and the company has been warm and welcoming; I've felt that I've been among friends during my time here. I've experienced Africa in a way I couldn't have if I'd come as a tourist, having had the privilege of intimate cultural experiences and very skilled guides on several game drives per day, while also contributing to the conservation of an ecosystem plentiful in African wildlife. The rooms have also been very nice, with our beds made up every day and laundry done regularly. I can't say enough good things about this program or the people who run it. I would come back and relive this experience in a heartbeat.

Great experience

We had a great time and really enjoyed being on this project. The staff on the project site is just welcoming and very friendly. The accommodation was basic but always clean and food was delicious. The work was most of the time easy but it's still important that you are in a good shape. The whole monitoring drives of course were our highlights of the days!

Wild life inspiration

If I look back to the last two weeks I feel really happy in my hard. I could help in a really hopefully project and they gave me a lot of nature and wild life inspiration of a beautiful country Kenia.

African Impact review

My review of the African Impact project was amazing. I met some incredible people, as well as Maasai. The nature was far beyond any expectation I had. I saw so many different animals every single day. The staff was absolutely incredible and could not have asked for better. Would love to come back soon!

An excellent project in an amazing part of the world - I'd definitely recommend it!

This was our third time on the Maasai Mara project and I loved it as much as the first time. The opportunity to live and work in the bush, close to nature and with the local community is very special.

Wildlife conservation project

14 years coming to the Mara and the third time on this project should give you an idea of how highly I rate it. Where else can you have such an amazing wildlife experience while making such a great contribution to the conservation efforts to preserve that experience for future generations. A well organised and important project. Money very well spent.

I don't want to leave here at all...

Every day is like a safari and you never know what you will see on that day! If we're lucky enough, we may find lions, leopards or cheetahs during the big cat monitoring. If not, we still enjoy those beautiful Giraffes, Topis, Waterbucks... and beautiful sunset! I'm so blessed to have the chance to watching those precious predators while helping collect data to help the conservancy to monitor the wildlife. Another best part of this project is the people here. Other volunteers, staff and people in the community are all so nice and heartwarming. I've made some good friends here and our friendship is definitely the most precious treasure I can bring with me when leaving Masai Mara.

Yuki

It's perfect I will come back for sure. Life here is hard but we still cherish each other and learn things here as well. We can clearly see the transformations and hope these characters will help me my future.

Tales of Kenya

It was a magical experience. I had been waiting to come here for a long time and photograph. I feel one with African Impact and I will do my best to work here and do amazing photos in the future too. I believe that my passion to be a part of this organisation so whole-heartedly will take me far.

My two weeks in Mara

What a wonderful time I've had in Naboisho conservancy, its amazing to be so immersed in the wildlife. I have been so lucky to see a leopard, a cheetah hunt and kill and everything else! I also really like that I am able to have the safari experience in a more sustainable way. Everyone has been so lovely and I've enjoyed the relaxed pace of life.

Best volunteer experience so far

The local people are very nice-especially the students at the guiding school and the kids and the people who work here are excellent. It's the most wild animals I've seen during a volunteer trip. Also love the actual volunteer work that we do.

I had clear expectations for the outcome of this adventure, my reality far exceeded my expectations.

This has been the most memorable experience of my life. The Mara is beautiful, viewing the animals is an amazing experience and the camp is more than adequate. It was satisfying helping the community.

My experience

this adventure in African impact project was very unique for me and different from what i experience so far, kind people, good environment and carrying staff. i learned alot about nature and so some views i never seen before.

My first time in Africa

It was my first time in Africa and I was really impressed by the wildlife from the beginning on. I spent three weeks here in Naboisho Conservancy. Because it was my first time to Africa I did not really had specific expectations, but for sure I did not expect to interact so close with the wildlife and the community. Getting so close to the animals enables me to take hundreds of amazing photos and interacting with the local community, especially our personal guide and driver Francis, I learned a lot about the wildlife here in Kenya. I collected plenty of different new experiences every week, which I will never forget. The staff here at the project which includes the local manager, driver, cook and the cleaning lady is simply amazing. I highly recommend this project to anyone who would like to help help saving Africa`s wildlife while interacting with it and its local community.

Another day in paradise

Coming here to Naboisho Conservancy in Maasai Mara exceeded all my expectations! Entering the Conservancy on my first day, I saw five new antelope species in as many minutes and was awed at the beauty of this place. As a professional Safari Guide, I have been to many game reserves and national parks in Africa before, but this is what it must have looked liked hundreds of years ago. A green garden of Eden with wildlife in abundance and the Maasai community who have mastered the combination of their traditional way of lives, tourism and conservation.
However - where there is a paradise there must be a hell as well, I guess. We found our little hell within Dawn - a volunteer from Australia - who abused not only the staff and the other volunteers but also the locals, did not participate in any of the activities and managed to disrupt our peaceful group on many occasions.