Physical Therapy in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Physical therapy in Nepal with Projects Abroad

For five weeks I volunteered at the Sahara Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal through Projects Abroad. The staff at Sahara Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Hospital were welcoming, and willing to teach. They encouraged us to ask questions and to collaborate ideas for alternative forms of treatment. Most of the patients were those who suffered from a stroke or a spinal injury. My work there included strengthening, balancing, and gait training. The patients there were motivated and curious about the volunteers who came to visit the clinic. Sometimes I feel that I was learning more from them then they were from me.

The host family that I was placed with was just amazing. They made me and the other volunteers feel as if we were at home. They were curious about us, our family and where we came from. The family was always willing to teach us about the Nepali culture and the places to see and experience.

The Projects Abroad Staff was extremely helpful during the entire process. From the moment that I expressed interest in their program they stayed in contact with me. They answered their messages in a timely manner as well. They made sure all of my documents were up to date, arrange my travel itinerary, helped me locate my luggage after it was lost on the way to Nepal, and when I arrived they were still there if I needed them.

During my free time in Nepal, I would meet with other volunteers in the organization. We would explore the city, go shopping, explore the local restaurants, sometimes we would explore outside the city of Kathmandu. One weekend we travel to Chitwan National Park another weekend we went to Pokhara. We were able to experience a jungle safari, hiking, white water rafting, paragliding and much more.

I highly recommend visiting Nepal and using Projects Abroad. They are reasonably affordable, they help you throughout the entire process, they give you the freedom to experience the Nepali culture first hand and are available when you need them. The experiences that you have and the memories that you make while in Nepal will last you a lifetime.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 07, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Hi Altemus, thanks for sharing your story! Cultural interchange is what Projects Abroad is all about, so we are glad you got to about Nepali culture first hand from your local host family, and that you were able to share your own culture with them as well! Nepal has so much to offer it's great that you were able to explore it with your fellow volunteers, these are definitely once in a lifetime opportunities!

My Two Week Pediatric Physical Therapy Experience in Nepal

My time with Projects Abroad consisted of two weeks of volunteering in Nepal. I am currently in the process of applying to Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) programs in the U.S. I have an undergraduate degree in Biology and Philosophy. To continue my preparation for DPT school, I was eager to volunteer and learn in a pediatric physiotherapy setting. Being a student, it was extremely helpful of Projects Abroad to organize the entire trip for me in such a smooth manner.

They organized my entire two week stay and the entire staff were supportive start to finish. I felt very secure in the back of my head knowing that they will always be there if need be. That brought my independent traveling in Nepal, even more pleasure. Everything from my host family, to my placement, along with important aspects such as getting picked up and dropped off from the airport to and from the hotel, was peaceful and relaxing. So I got to focus on what was important, my volunteer work, getting to know the beautiful country and its friendly people. The Projects Abroad staff on my induction day was nice enough to show me and a fellow volunteer the essentials a traveler might need while staying in Thamel and it was really helpful during my weekend visits.

I volunteered in a Physiotherapy department at the Hospital and Rehabilitation for Disabled Children (HRDC) in Banepa, which was about an hour drive away from Kathmandu. They are known for specializing in treating clubfoot, cerebral palsy, post-burn contractures among other rare disorders that I would not normally come across in the U.S. Thus, it was a very valuable learning experience for me. I learned to apply Ponseti casts, splints, helped patients exercise, observed evaluations, went over treatment options with the physiotherapists and even got to observe for a day at the operation theatre. I got to witness how HRDC functioned in a comprehensive manner addressing both the social and healthcare aspects in a country like Nepal. I would highly recommend Projects Abroad to anyone willing to volunteer and gain such unforgettable experiences.

Physical Therapy in Nepal

One thing you need to remember before volunteering in physical therapy in Nepal is this: it is not the same type of experience you'd gain by volunteering somewhere in the West! The beauty of volunteering in a place like Nepal is to better understand Nepalese healthcare, treatment style, and approach to medicine in general. Although I did learn a lot about physical therapy practice, I don't think what I learned will help me become an effective physical therapist in the States. Instead, getting to know the therapists, speaking with the patients, and understanding the situation of the Nepalese people is what will make you a better healthcare provider when you get home-- and that is why volunteering in Nepal is an invaluable experience.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 07, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Hi Julia! Indeed, medicine in general is quite different in the East to what we are typically used to in he West. That makes the Physical Therapy placement in Nepal that much more challenging and interesting, so we are glad you enjoyed it and that it has helped you with your career back home. Thanks for the feedback!

The International Volunteer Programs Association