Globalteer Header Image Globalteer Header Image

Volunteer with Kids in Colombia

First time volunteer

I spent two weeks in Medellin, a week of which I volunteered with Globalteer. I had not previously volunteered or travelled to Colombia so was unsure what to expect.
Leading up to my trip I frequently exchanged emails with Elena, the project coordinator. Elena arranged my accommodation, Spanish lessons, pick up from the airport and sent me lots of useful information about the project and Medellin in general. Once I arrived in Colombia I was met at the airport and driven to the hostel in El Poblado. The hostel was ideally located, very clean and the staff were fantastic! I met with Elena the next day and she showed me around El Poblado and how to get to the project. Once at the project I was introduced to the staff and children and given a tour of the facilities. As a volunteer you are given the freedom to plan your own activities and chose which areas you want to help with. During my with the children I helped clean up after meals, organised and took part in arts and craft activities, walked the children to school and took them to play in the park. I also gave one of the older children one to one help with his English work from school.The staff at the project were very welcoming they are also genuinely invested in the children they care for. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the project and in Colombia and hope to return!