Volunteer with Kids in Colombia
Collage photos of volunteers Collage photos of volunteers

Volunteer with Kids in Colombia

A fantastic experience volunteering in Medellin!

I spent two weeks working on the project in Medellin through Globalteer, and had an amazing time. The children at the project are so friendly, welcoming and such good fun, despite coming from tough backgrounds. While my Spanish is fairly basic, I was able to communicate, make friends, and help the children with arts and crafts and English lessons. I also took them to the cinema and to the park, walked them to school and helped with meals and with tidying up.
The staff at the project are also really friendly and doing an amazing job with the children.
Elena, the Globalteer in-country co-ordinator, was really helpful (despite being unwell), and helped arrange everything, including my stay at a really nice hostel in El Poblado, Spanish lessons, transport to the project and even assistance with finding a dentist!
Overall I had a fantastic time and would really love to return soon.

First time volunteer

I spent two weeks in Medellin, a week of which I volunteered with Globalteer. I had not previously volunteered or travelled to Colombia so was unsure what to expect.
Leading up to my trip I frequently exchanged emails with Elena, the project coordinator. Elena arranged my accommodation, Spanish lessons, pick up from the airport and sent me lots of useful information about the project and Medellin in general. Once I arrived in Colombia I was met at the airport and driven to the hostel in El Poblado. The hostel was ideally located, very clean and the staff were fantastic! I met with Elena the next day and she showed me around El Poblado and how to get to the project. Once at the project I was introduced to the staff and children and given a tour of the facilities. As a volunteer you are given the freedom to plan your own activities and chose which areas you want to help with. During my with the children I helped clean up after meals, organised and took part in arts and craft activities, walked the children to school and took them to play in the park. I also gave one of the older children one to one help with his English work from school.The staff at the project were very welcoming they are also genuinely invested in the children they care for. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the project and in Colombia and hope to return!