CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Best Summer ever

My summer in Barcelona will forever be the best summer of my life. I had the best teachers and they helped me so much with my language and my overall experience while in Spain. The excursions were wonderful as well.

Barcelona Spain

Studying abroad in Barcelona was one of the best experiences I have ever had. It has made me more confident, more open minded, and more adventurous. It has also caused me to become a better person and I wouldn't change it for the world.

CIS Abroad Barcelona

I had an amazing experience studying abroad through CIS! I was blown away by the amount of interaction between the staff and students, and by how involved the program staff (teachers and coordinators) were in creating the best experience and environment possible for students. Some things I especially liked about this program were the number of extra activities and trips planned for students. They offered things like dance classes, cooking classes, walking tours, and weekend and day trips. All were very well organized and planned out to assure that us students got the most out of whatever activity we were participating in. I also appreciated the coordinators attempts at getting to know us students as well as possible. Each team has mentors and I personally got to know my mentor pretty well, but I also felt very comfortable with other people in the program which I think helped to make the experience even better and more enjoyable. I also thought the program teachers were all great, and they also made a conscious effort to get to know their students personally and give us a really interactive and hands on learning experience. Since the classes were smaller the level of communication, especially in Spanish classes, was significantly higher than what I experience in my home Universities. Classes were very discussion-based and I felt much more confident about my speaking skills. I would recommend studying abroad to everybody I meet now, and when I do talk to people I specifically recommend this CIS program because of how great an experience I had!

Summer in Barcelona

CISabroad did an absolutely amazing job facilitating many inclusive events during my whole 2 months abroad. There were many opportunities to try new foods and activities. I received amazing guidance from the faculty and had an unbelievable summer. Darcy in particular was an amazing mentor.

Barcelona

This program was amazing, and the city of Barcelona exceeded my already steep expectations. I chose apartment living, and I enjoyed the freedom and friendships that came along with that. Other students I knew that lived in home-stays had to coordinate more with their host moms, and didn't have roommates to become close friends and adventure buddies with. I can't wait to go back to the amazing city- the people, night life, architecture, neighborhoods, and food were incredible and I'm so happy I got to experience it.

Overall:

I loved every minute of being in Barcelona. The staff made this trip so memorable and did an incredible job in everything they did. They taught us culture and the right amount of information we needed. They were very helpful and you could tell they were so excited for us and the opportunity we had ahead. The only thing I wish, was that our friends were closer together in a near by apartment. My friends were so far away from me so it was hard to meet up and go do things when we don't have wifi on our phones. My sister went to Italy and they gave them all wifi devices so they were able to communicate, which would've been very helpful and easy.

Best month of my life

If i could say anything bad about my time, it was that my apartment had no A/C and it was SUPER hot! Everything else was perfect! I will always remember this trip as the best trip of my life! I have grown so much as a person and i recommened it to everyone.

Loved Barcelona Abroad

Study abroad in Barcelona was great. My trip was 1 month during the summer and their soccer team had a couple games which is a great thing to watch in a local bar. There are many nice people and the city itself is beautiful. My professors were amazing and made it easy for us to get a grasp on the Spanish language. I would say that 1 month was not long enough for me and I wish that I would have stayed for both sessions.

Included Programs/Trips

The included programs to Costa Brava and Tarragona were awesome! I would highly recommend to keep providing those trips. It was great to see different areas of Spain with the program, rather than spending extra money out of pocket.

spain

This trip was the best thing I have ever done! It was such a wonderful experience and I highly recommend this trip to everyone! It really changes you perspectives on things as well as helps you learn a lot about the city and its history.

A Trip of a Lifetime!

Studying abroad in Barcelona was one of the best decisions I made during college. It was the first time I left the country, and I was alone and scared that I wouldn't make any friends. Little I knew that these people would leave a special place in my heart forever. When I got to Barcelona, on- site staff and interns were there to pick me up from the airport and bring me to my apartment. From there, I met my 5 awesome roommates whom I would live with for 4 weeks. We all went to orientation together, and while they were on the European Experience trip, they immediately included me into their friend circle. While I did most of my social activities with my roommates, we also tried to meet up frequently with other students on the program. Everyone was so willing to make friends because we were all in the same boat. We didn't know anyone and we were in a foreign country- two very scary things when put together.

The academics of Barcelona International College were great. I wold recommend taking intensive Spanish courses so you can really grasp the language and talk to locals. There were also great options for electives, and your professors frequently took you on field trips around the city, which was pretty awesome. The on- site administrative team was also great. They gave us all pertinent information regarding emergency phone numbers, and told us where was safe to go and where we should avoid. They also gave us plenty of advice as to where to visit, what food to eat, ways to get around the city, ways to avoid pick- pocketing, etc. They did a fantastic job of making us feel safe while we were abroad.

My living situation was the absolute best. I lived in a neighborhood called Gracia, which is a cute little area full of local restaurants, bars, and shops. It wasn't touristy at all and I felt as though I could actually live there. I felt safe walking alone at night, but there were plenty of cabs and public transportation, so walking wasn't your only option.

No better way to learn Spanish

On our last night together, me and four other girls I had been with for ten weeks (we went on the European Experience program, this month in Spain was our last location together) got up super early and went to the beach to watch the sunrise. It was beautiful.

Four countries, 2.5 months, 15 credit hours, and it cost less than a semester at my school. Who wouldn't choose this program?

We were lucky to live in a beautiful area. It was a 40 minute walk/ 20 minute metro to school but that's alright, we got to see more of the city! We were also blessed to have both a washer and dryer.. even though we didn't use the dryer!

No Place I'd Rather Be

There is no better way to learn spanish than immerse yourself in its culture. Classes are long-6 hours a day-but every weekend is a 3-day-weekend!

Summer in Barcelona

My summer abroad was an amazing experience. I learned so much more than I expected. I studied in Barcelona for four weeks and lived with an older woman. She only spoke spanish, which forced me to really learn the language and envelope myself into the Spanish culture. I highly recommend this program because they guided me in the right direction, while giving me enough independence to explore on my own.

Amazing

An amazing experience with lots of activities.

Best time of my life!

Wonderful adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed all the excursions we went on, all of the people we met and all of the food we ate. I believe I learned and explored so much more than I would have if I went through another program.

Great Experience

I absolutely loved this program. I felt that I learned so much about the culture through the planned activities and excursions put on through CISabroad. The experience was absolutely unforgettable and I will cherish it forever.

CIS Summer in Barcelona

Amazing experience, the onsite staff was very knowledgeable and went out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. Our mentor onsite even took us to coffee several times just to check in with how we were doing, and to give us recommendations for places to go explore, to go out to eat, and to meet more locals. Everything was very organized, and all the cultural activities were really interesting, but also fun, and I highly recommend attending all of them. Lastly, the exit workshop was extremely helpful, because it illustrated how to put this experience on your resume, and how to sum up an incredible experience such as this to future employers, or even simply family and friends and home.

CIS Abroad Barcelona

The experience of studying abroad is not like anything you can imagine. Being immersed in a completely different country really gives you an understanding of different cultures. You even make lifelong friends that are closer than your best friends back at home. The staff of CIS Abroad in Barcelona did a fantastic job with everything. They provide all the tools that are necessary to have a good trip and I highly recommend it.

Summer in Barcelona

I absolutely loved the month that I spent in Barcelona this summer. I wish that I could have stayed longer, but school was calling back in the United States. I highly recommend this program to anyone who has an interest in Spain or Spanish.

Summer in Barcelona is a Great Program

If you're ready to have an unforgettably great summer, meet wonderful people, speak Spanish and learn the culture, then the Summer in Barcelona program is most definitely for you! Inside Barcelona are endless sites to see and things to do, and it's often a short ride to a variety of must-sees around Spain.

I think the courses offered are fine, but the number and variety of electives were a little restricted. The professors were great, however the classes could have been run more efficiently and not have had to run three hours long each. Although an intense amount of time needs to be spent on classes, 7 hours (8 for some people) was spent at BIC and limited what we were able to visit and do after class (as we also had homework to complete). By the time we were done with class each day, most of us were quite exhausted. Also, the Spanish placement needs to be run a little differently to gather a more accurate idea where students should be placed. Some students should definitely have been placed at a higher level of Spanish (and my professor noted this as well), as some people's Spanish courses were nothing but review for them - with only having a single afternoon to make the decision to change courses after giving the class a first-day test trial, it wasn't enough to convince people who may have needed to get into a higher/different course and there should have been more support or professor evaluation on this. The time to swap classes was at least one day too short. Also, exams should be on the last Thursday of the program, not a Friday, so students can have at least one free day to spend in Barcelona before leaving the country (last chance to get souvenirs, see places they haven't yet had a chance to, etc.). I hope this will be implemented as a schedule change in future programs.

I absolutely loved my host family, and the location was close enough to school and not too far away from where everyone was living. The facilities were great as well. I was really glad to have host brothers as well. A home stay is by far the best way to go for cultural immersion and great food.

Some excursions, like the Gothic Quarter tour, weekend trip to Valencia, cooking class, Besalú, Dali museum, and salsa class, were fantastic and should definitely be kept. However, orientation was redundant with the Gothic Quarter tour, and the Barca tour should not be held mid-Friday during a free weekend and should be scheduled for a weekday afternoon to avoid conflicting with weekend travel plans, as that was a significant loss of money for the many people who had to miss it due to travel plans.I think CIS needs to do a better job of orienting students to the culture and stressing the importance (and consequences) of certain actions and behaviors, as mistakes can sometimes convey a poor image to locals. For example, some participants were rude when eating at restaurants or missed out on many opportunities to see sites in Barcelona and experience the culture. Outside of class, hardly anyone speaks Spanish, even some when ordering food at restaurants. Don't get me wrong, though - the people on this program are amazing!

Classes should be assigned at least a week in advance to students arriving to the program, not the day before so, in the case some mistake or change in expected classes occurs, the student can arrange changes with their home universities, etc. Some recommended activities should be scheduled activities (and add to the cultural immersion of the program). The SIM card option should be guided better, as it was semi-unclear how to get them operational. Otherwise, I think CIS abroad does a great job.

Never, ever felt unsafe, except for almost getting pick-pocketed on the metro.

Social Life:
I didn't get as many chances to experience a lot of night life due to the distance from the city center and beach, and taxis (the only transportation us students know how to use after the metro closes at midnight). My family was great and I got to do so much with my friends in the program after school and during the weekends. The people are amazing.

Fun, Lively, Cultural,

Overall I had a great time with this program. I have enjoyed my teachers and I very much like the small class sizes. The program is only 4 weeks long, which makes it difficult to really see everything you want to see. Since I wanted to get acquainted with Barcelona my first weekend, I didn't want to travel. With that, the third weekend was the only weekend possible to travel, but I wanted to stay here and enjoy Spain. I'm not sure if it would be possible to extend the program, but perhaps 6 weeks would be a better amount of time.

I enjoyed eating Paella on the beach. I think our excursions were very fun. Perhaps we could integrate more group dinners or lunches? The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. I had to go to the Sagrada Familia Clinic because of a stomach issue and they were very quick to give me directions and said they would go with me to the clinic if need be. The staff does a good job of giving us our freedom but also giving us information about how to be safe in the city. Great experience overall.

Liked the small classes A LOT. Being in class for 6 hours a day plus lunch wasn't the best situation but there's really no choice if we have Fridays off and only a month to complete classes.

Loved living in Gracia. Apartment was absolutely wonderful.

Definitely like the cultural orientation.

Didn't feel unsafe here at all.

Social Life:
I didn't go out to bars too often but there are plenty of options for those who do want to go out.

Barcelona is the best city to study in.

Barcelona was absolutely amazing. The city is very fast paced but the people do not get in a hurry for anything. Overall it is very relaxed and easy to find your way around. The studies were awesome, the professors and the staff are as friendly as can be and will do anything that they can to make your abroad experience as fun as possible.

CISAbroad was a great experience.

I absolutely loved my experience overseas, however, the college they placed me in, in Barcelona, did not seem like a legitimate university. Although classes were structured and professors were qualified, Barcelona International College was not the greatest academic environment. Other than that, I can't complain. My housing assignment was incredible (in one of the best neighborhoods in Barca), the healthcare plan came in handy, and most other needs and questions were fulfilled by staff members on site, or within the U.S. prior to departure.

Very structured, very organized.

Absolutely loved my apartment in Gracia.

learning about Spanish language and culture was easy since we were living like/amongst natives.

Program administrators were somewhat disorganized and at times seemed lost at directing students.

Amazing Abroad Experience in Barcelona!

This study abroad program was simply amazing. Like any program, there are of course things that some people dislike and like based on their preferences. However this program gives you everything you need to make the best out of experience abroad. The staff is extremely helpful, and I learned so much in all of my classes. I made friends that will last a lifetime and have had experience that I will always remember. I definitely recommend this program!

I loved the small classes that allowed a lot of individual attention. But I disliked how long the classes were that did not allow us to do much after class.

Our living situation was good, however I disliked how unequal each apartment was. For example, there were some apartments not as nice as ours, and others that were double the size and much nicer than ours. Which I think is unfair as we are all paying the same price for our housing.

The cultural immersion is simply how much you make yourself do. If not in a home stay, you must take it upon yourself to engage in cultural activities.

The program administrators were all very nice and extremely helpful.

Watch our for pick pocketers!

Social Life:
The night life is the best I have ever experienced! There is constantly so much to do in the city, you will never get bored!