CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Dublin

The Best Decision of My Life!

Studying in Ireland was the perfect amount of balance between school and being able to actually explore the beautiful country! The professors are very understanding of cultural differences and are more than willing to accommodate you in any way possible. Awesome Experience!

Suite type apartments that were cozy and made me feel like I was back at my home university! They give you enough privacy, but also invites you to be social with the people you are living with.

The food in Ireland is to die for! Beef and Guinness Stew is by far my favorite meal on this planet now! They really know how to make a yummy meal.

Irish people are the most kinda and genuine people ever. They LOVE Americans and will stop at nothing to help you get to where you are wanting to go. I met so many locals and would go out with them often.

I felt extremely safe in Ireland. I was studying abroad during the Paris attacks and the university as well as CIS Abroad did everything they could to make us all feel safe and make sure we were all doing okay.

My advisor was super helpful and made sure I was prepared to embark on my adventure!

SAVE SAVE SAVE! You will want to go on so many adventures while abroad and its so important to budget out each trip when you get there but make sure you save enough before you leave!

This program gave me so many opportunities to learn about the Irish Culture and took us on trips with locals to get the full experience. I was extremely prepared through CIS and was never nervous about any plans. I wish I was still in Ireland!

Studying abroad made me learn so much about myself and what I want to do with my life after I graduate. It helped me experience life outside America, and gave me an idea of what different countries value and how they function.

Cherish every single second you have while studying abroad. It goes by so fast. As soon as you know it, it'll be over and you will be wishing you were back in the country you studied in.

Epic

My semester abroad was a thing to remember. I had three Irish roommates who I believe will be my friends forever. They invited me out when I felt homesick and were so much fun! I made friends with other international students who I still keep in contact with. I learned a lot about their culture also. People in Ireland are without a doubt the nicest I have ever met. They are always willing to stop and help you whenever you are lost, wanting to know something about their culture, or just talk. Dublin City University is a great and fun campus with tons of fun clubs. I myself joined hiking and paintball! I will never forget Dublin, and I will go back!

Epic.

If I didn't go to Dublin, I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. The people I met and the things I saw, I will never forget. I would go back in a heart beat.

DCU wasn't structured and a lot of the times frazzled by things going on.

I have no complaints about the accommodation.

My roommates were all Irish which I loved. They taught me a lot about the culture. I also met a lot of friends from different countries and they taught me a lot about their culture.

They were all very helpful.

Shanowen Square, where I lived, had a guard at night. I never felt like my life was in danger in Ireland.

Social Life:
The nightlife in Dublin is awesome! I come from a small town and never experienced anything like it before.

The time of my life.

I literally had the most phenomenal time abroad! The staff of CIS beforehand made me feel super comfortable and were always really helpful and made it easy for me to get excited for my time in Ireland. It was the best three months of my life by far!

The Irish Experience

Dublin was such an amazing experience! I met amazing people, had amazing adventures, and made memories that I'm going to have with me forever. Everyone is so welcoming and instantly make you feel at home. I'm not looking forward to leaving, but I know that one day I'll be back!

I really enjoyed most of my classes, but it was rough getting accustomed to the grading style. Some classes only had one grade for the semester, so it was an adjustment.

I really liked my apartment, especially having my own room and bathroom. The housing development was close to campus, and made it easy to meet new friends.

I loved everything about experiencing new cultures! From the culture of Dublin, to visiting other countries, I could not have asked for anything more.

Program staff were very friendly and accommodating.

I feel like Dublin is a really safe city, and I've never felt afraid being out at night. The housing complex requires a code at the front gate, a code for your building, and a key for your front door/bedroom, so I feel very safe where I live.

Social Life:
If you're looking for something to do, there is literally something EVERY NIGHT. MY friends and I generally go out 1-3 nights a week, and always have an amazing time.

Dublin Spring 2015

Such a wonderful experience that every student should take a part of. The Dublin coordinators and DCU made everything a smooth transition for our four months abroad! The city is vibrant, friendly, and there is always something to do.

Independence

Everything about living on my own, traveling alone and learning to be independent made this the best experience of my life.

Green Paradise

Brilliant experience great city if you want to learn a lot of history and have fun.

Memorable and Magical

With the help of our CIS Abroad coordinator, I was able to not only see many different parts of Ireland, I was also able to have extraordinary experiences while doing so.

There were fewer choices available for my English major than I would have liked, but the classes that I ended up taking were wonderful.

The only minor comment that I would have about the administration is that although we were informed of dates of travel, the students received almost no information besides that. Sometimes it was difficult to plan for travel when we didn't know what we were going to do, we simply knew that we had to show up at a certain location, and because the weather in Ireland changes so often that problem was exacerbated.

Ireland was the best choice I could have ever made.

Ireland is an incredible place to study abroad, you get a whole new cultural experience without being too overwhelmed. Also, you meet many people from all over the world who have traveled to Ireland to also study. I've learned more about my self, my country of origin, and people form other parts of the world in 4 months than I have in my entire life. Not to mention, that once in Europe, you can travel anywhere for a very reasonable price; on top of exploring Ireland, I went to France, Spain, and Belgium. To say goodbye to this country will be hard, but it only makes me more curious to leave and travel to other places.

CIS helps you make the most of Ireland.

My semester abroad was the best four months of my life. It can be yours too, if you make the most of it as I did. Shanowen Square is the heart of this experience. Living in student apartments was fantastic; it was always a party. I made some of the best friends I've ever had in this complex, and I miss them dearly. Sure the WiFi isn't too great and you have to clean for certain inspections, but the staff are really great and leave you alone for the most part. Being so close to campus is really a plus, too. It's a bit inconvenient to have to take the bus fifteen minutes into the city, but the stop is close enough that it doesn't really matter.

Academically, DCU certainly isn't the best, but it's satisfactory. The classes aren't hard, just be prepared for several finals to count as 100% of your grade, as they do in a lot of Europe. But come on, you're not here for the academics.

As a city, Dublin is fantastic. It was by FAR the cleanest city in Europe I visited, with very little visible poverty and a ton of nightlife. It is a bit more expensive than most European cities, except for the U.K., but if you budget, you'll be fine. There's a ton to do in the city and it's all within walking distance of city centre, something that can't be said for most cities.

One of the best parts about this experience, however, is CIS. They will be there for you every single step of the way. Some of the best times I had in Europe were on CIS-sponsored trips, like the ones to Galway and Belfast. On the Galway trip, we spent a day biking around the Aran Islands, an incredibly beautiful part of the country almost untouched by tourism. The Belfast trip was one of the best experiences I had in Europe, as we took the famous black cab tours and learned the darker side of the city's story. Besides the trips, there's plenty of times that your CIS coordinator will reach out to you to check in and see how they can make the experience even better. Group dinners in the city were always a blast.

Your semester abroad is what you make of it. Did I ditch classes to spend travel through Spain, Hungary, and the Czech Republic? Yeah, and I'd do it again. Did I miss morning lectures because I spent all night in a Dubin club with my CIS group? Countless times. In four months I had more crazy stories to tell my friends at home than I had in my previous 20 years of existence.

It's up to you to have the time of your life in Dublin, but CIS is going to help you quite a bit.

Many of the classes felt irrelevant to the grading systems. Many classes featured weekly lectures and then just a final paper that was 100% of the grade and not based on the lectures at all.

The atmosphere at Shanowen Square was amazing. I loved it. However, there were some issues such as awful WiFi and surprise bills from the complex because they didn't think the apartment was clean enough.

Really got to experience all Ireland had to offer, especially through the CIS trips.

Lisa could not have been a better advisor. She was there for us CONSTANTLY and made everything so much fun. Everything she did had an air of professionalism all while making sure we were enjoying every second.

Absolutely the safest city I visited in Europe, bar-none. I spent countless late nights in Dublin and never once felt unsafe. Always travel with friends, of course, but you have very little to worry about in Dublin.

Social Life:
Shanowen Square makes even the most standard Wednesday night a blast. International students from all over the world are always hanging out all hours of the night and day. It's a very college environment, with plenty of frisbee (and the occasional beer pong) on the grass on weekends. If I could live in Shanowen forever, I would.

Living in Dublin

I absolutely loved living in Dublin and I did not want to leave. Ireland is an amazingly beautiful country with interesting history and incredible people. I was lucky to form lifelong friendships with people from all over the world. Dublin City University was a great place to meet people and the atmosphere was incredibly welcoming, but I found that the academics were not challenging and a bit scattered. I often found myself wondering why I was in class when I could be in the city exploring. The food is also, in general, a bit bland, and the city is a bit expensive. Bring lots of money with you and be prepared to spend it on little things like bus fare and food. Although it is expensive, it is rich with history and filled with museums. There is music all over the streets and in pubs around Dublin and Irish people could not be more open, friendly, or welcoming. Some of the kindest people on the planet. Overall, traveling to Ireland was a great experience that I will never forget and I cannot wait to go back.

I did not find the academics challenging or helpful to my degree. It was difficult to get classes and figure out a class schedule. I was not in class often and found the academic portion to be my least favorite part of studying abroad.

The living situation was excellent. It was not far from campus and I had everything I could need within walking distance.

It was very easy to meet both Irish people as well as people from other cultures and countries. I found that by the end of the program I had a really strong sense of Irish culture and I absolutely loved my experiences traveling around Ireland.

I always felt incredibly safe in Dublin. As a female, this was huge. I almost never felt uncomfortable walking along after dark.

Social Life:
It is what you make of it, if you go out and meet people you will have great friends, everyone was very friendly,

Overall Experience

Overall, CIS was great. We went to a different place in Ireland each month that was included in the program. We all felt comfortable going to our CIS adviser whenever we needed her.

Academics in Ireland were not as challenging as here in the states.

Semester in Dublin

Dublin City University was a great place to study abroad for the semester. Dublin is a great city and the Irish always make you feel welcomed. Some of the best fews months of my life.

An absolutely amazing experience!

I am so happy that I was able to study abroad out here in Ireland. It was a truly wonderful experience; the atmosphere is great, Dublin City University is great, and most importantly the people are great. I would definitely recommend this trip to people. :)

Much more relaxed then America. You hardly get weekly assignments, just big projects. This is good or bad, depending on if it's a group project or not. Best part was having week 7 off to catch up on work. (If you actually use the time to do work :)) Really helped me with an essay I had due.

My only complaint is with the wifi and the water temperature. The water would sometimes be extremely cold, which is never fun. And sometimes the internet will stop working. Besides that, a great place to live. Close to the school, numerous bus stops, and the OMNI.

One of my favorite things about the college was how student orientated they were. They really encouraged people to get to know each other throughout their orientation week, which was fantastic.

I had some problems with administration, but besides that they were helpful.

I never felt like I was in danger.

Social Life:
Had so much fun every weekend. The school always had something going on and always encouraged students to after party with each other.

Incredible experience, but some difficulties could be avoided

Studying at DCU was an incredible experience. You are more integrated with Irish students, especially socially, than in most places. It is an adventure to figure out how to live in Dublin that is both challenging and rewarding. The cultural experience that I had is in no small part owed to Ireland. The Irish people are colorful, friendly and are totally irreplaceable.

Not all teachers were prepared to handle study abroad students who are outside the normal programs DCU offers

Kind of far outside of city center, but close to DCU and reasonably close to a grocery store

There wasn't as much support from the host university about getting study abroad students involved with campus activities past orientation. However, integrated classes was a great experience.

Amazing Experience

Studying abroad in Dublin was a great choice for me, and one I'm glad I made. The school is a short bus ride away from city center, so it is easily accessible. The nightlife is great, and there will never be a dull night in town.
The classes and grading system are much different in Ireland than in the U.S., as professors put more emphasis on students learning on their own.
The friends and memories I have made here will last a lifetime.

Professors require students to study on their own, as lectures are not held as often as they are the the US. My courses had minimal work, so my grades depended on a couple of assignments which put pressure on me.

I lived in an apartment with 3 other girls. The only thing that would have made it better is if we were surrounded by more local students or if I got to live with local students.

There was never a moment where I did not feel safe in Dublin or on campus.

Immersing yourself within a group of international friends

It's definitely a really good idea to kind of branch out from what you know you'll be comfortable with. When I first got here, my idea was that I can hang out with Americans in America, so I tried to branch out a bit from the core group of Americans. I've still got a bunch of really good American friends in CIS and some other study abroad programs, but you just have to think about why you came away in the first place.Act natural, the friends will come to you and friendliness definitely pays off.

Social Life:
Be friendly and you're all set! Everyone around is pretty cool, just be natural and be keep good friends close to you!

Spring Semester at Dublin City University

I loved my experience in Dublin. I was able to see a lot of Ireland, which was beautiful. I wish I was a bit closer to the city centre. It was about a 15 minute bus ride to the city. Really like DCU as well, there was a lot of events and ways for students to get involved and meet other people. The classes were relatively similar to my classes in the US. We only had 1-3 grades for our class though, so you had to work a lot for those assignments. (For my classes, at least) Our living situation was good. We lived in apartments really close to DCU- about a 5 minute walk. They were student apartments so that was nice too. Overall, really enjoyed my stay and wish I didn't have to come home!

All lectures and only a couple grades overall.

Apartments really close to campus.

Had classes with Irish students and professors, which made it easy to meet other people.

Mostly all helpful

Never felt unsafe around campus. Even if it's late, you would just have to be aware of your surroundings. Only area I heard was not as safe was the apartments off Ballymun.

Social Life:
DCU had a lot of ways to get involved, whether it is clubs, societies, or events going on. Their events were always fun. Met quite a bit of people in clubs and societies as well.

Great experience!

I would recommend studying abroad to anyone! Culture shock is very hyped up but only a few people that I talked to over there actually experienced it.

I prefer the US system. It is a shock to get used to the Irish system and no one prepared us or told us about it beforehand.

little to no interaction

Life in Dublin

Overall it was a great experience coming to DCU through CISabroad. For the most part it was well organized and I feel as though they did a lot for me in terms of getting me situated as a student at DCU.

It would have been helpful to have had more information about classes before signing up. That way I could have chosen classes that went along specifically with my major. Also with the correct age group, so third years studying abroad aren't placed in classes with all first years.

So great to have my own bedroom and bathroom and I always felt safe.

More could have been done to push students to meet each other.

I loved living in Ireland but the program at DCU was not up to par.

I had an amazing time studying in Ireland. I met so many people and went to many different countries. It was an amazing semester!

Great experience minus the living situation

I loved this trip and lea red so much not only about myself but about another culture so rich in history, I know one day I will be back to visit, I left some things to do still in my checklist for next time! My only negative was the living situation, I really really wish I had been paired with at least one other study abroad student, I know that would have made this trip one for the books.

My roommates were some of the messiest people I have ever met, and they were quite unwelcoming my entire stay. Also when I was not in my room they would unlock my door and allow their friends to stay in my room. I brought this up to Shanowen and they did not believe me that my roommates had done this, so did not take any action toward accommodating me in my situation.

I loved the city I never felt like I was out of place or felt nervous about traveling on my own, everyone was very welcoming.

Just be aware of your surroundings I never felt unsafe, but be aware you are in a foreign country and you will stand out even if you don't think you will.

Social Life:
Met a lot of great people !

Ehh

Loved the experience, not so much the program

Pretty much felt like I was on my own and given no guidance

Social Life:
Not directly in the city, but able to get to it by taxi if you wanted to go out

Heads up

Dublin is a city with a small town vibe, but it's still a city. Keep your wits about you.

Not sure what this is for

For a student, I have a great place to stay.

I immersed myself, no much to do with the program, honestly.

They were good about me doing my paperwork last minute, but not very helpful afterwards. Didn't need them for anything but paperwork, though.

Where I was set up to live is incredibly safe. Dublin, however, remains a city. Still, I felt it very safe FOR a city. But, I'm comparing it to New York...

Social Life:
This has nothing to do with CISabroad, who had nothing to do with my social life.