CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Argentina

BsAs

CIS was awesome. I got to live in a residencia, which is an apartment/ dormitory mix. I would recommend this over a host family. CIS is special because it is a smaller program. The other programs all used host families and were too big to really get to know the people in your program.

I lived with 3 other men in a 15x15 square foot room.

Social Life:
The residencia is like a big dormitory. Everyone goes out and everyone is invited.

Buenos Aires - City Life

I absolutely loved my experience in Buenos Aires, Argentina. But I have to be straight-forward with people looking to study abroad here. I went to this city as and IR major looking to learn as much as I can about this country, and I feel that I did. If you're looking for a more glamorous trip Buenos Aires is a beautiful place with amazing culture and history BUT it is not for the faint of heart. My program allowed me to be VERY independent. But in this city you also need to be smart. This is a country that is in the midst of economic crisis with a government that, if you go, you will see is also very very very interesting to say the least. Do not get me wrong, Buenos Aires has a huge party scene—clubs, nightlife, bars, restaurants galore..you name it, but its also a dangerous place and you have to take that seriously while being here. You will see all of the beauty in the world and also all of the ugly within one block of each other. Being in Buenos Aires was amazing for me because it was like living within a case study...I was living among all of the things I had read about in the books from my home university. I value that a lot, but at times it can be tough. You'll notice I rated everything amazing, EXCEPT for health and safety. I felt completely safe in my residencia, it is the city you have to be careful in. Before you make your choice, research this city and make sure it's right for you. Be smart and know what is happening with a country's economy and government before you go. If you're like me, and want to live and see all of these things and experience the effects first hand, then Buenos Aires is the place for you; if you want to experience an undeniable and determined culture...Buenos Aires is the place to be. It is an amazing country, with a people who are intent on preserving who they are and refuse to waver from what makes Argentina, Argentina. That in and of itself, is reason enough to go.

overall pretty good

Beautiful experience, due to the city of Buenos Aires itself and the people I met. The program (CIS Abroad), on the other hand was ok, and if I could go back I probably would have chosen a different program. For instance, little information was given about living in a residencia. It seemed like pretty typical dormlike/student housing. Do not choose to live in the residencia if you don't want to be monitored 24/7, eat the same bland food every week, and feel like you have to hide your stuff/money in fear that the maid will steal from you (at the very least, I wish we had been warned that she steals - she's been there for a while, I can't imagine that they didn't know that. She stole $200 USD from my roommate and other things from other people). Additionally, I met many students at the university who were in other programs, and for a similar price, were taken on more excursions, etc. (more bang for their buck).
The University of Belgrano was nice in that they were understanding of the fact that "study abroad" is less about studying and more about cultural immersion/experiences - which they encouraged and gave us minimal workload, etc. That isn't to say that most of my classes (with the exception of two - one of which was my intro to Spanish class - which were excellent) were extremely disorganized and not super engaging. But for the purpose they served (I took mostly Latin American studies classes), they gave a necessary historical/ sociopolitical background to what I was experiencing.

Palermo

Palermo is the town we stayed in, specifically plaza italia. They have incredible bars and restaurants and a great night life scene. There is tons of cool art and little shops to buy authentic trinkets. It's a very safe neighborhood so make sure to walk up and down the streets and try different cafes every day.

I was able to learn Spanish through all of my classes being completely in Spanish

For learning the language it was convenient, but the internet was terrible and the food is repetitive and unhealthy.

Absolutely LOVED Argentina and the excursions gave us great experience on different cultures of argentina.

The directors were great, some processes (visa, signing up for classes) were a bit unclear.

Although pick up lines are common, the neighborhood itself is very safe. People are always awake.

Social Life:
Awesome environment to connect with locals and people from other countries. Palermo is also a great town to mingle in.

Minor difficulties, overall very responsive and helpful

The people who work for CIS are dedicated and caring. They respond to concerns as soon as possible. The on site director absolutely amazing, making everyone's experience as enjoyable as possible. CIS Provides excursions based on student feedback, suited to fit everyone's interests. Overall if I had to go back I would do it all the same.

The classes were full of enthusiastic professors who loved offering up advice on things to see and do, and they were considerate of the fact that we had limited time to enjoy the culture, sometimes going easy on us to give us more free time.

The cockroaches weren't my favorite thing, and sometimes the staff seemed to yell at us over little things. But I got lucky with very loving considerate argentine roommates who gave me ever opportunity to practice my speaking skills.

Being in a residencia have me the chance to make friends from all over, usually forcing me to practice my Spanish.

In the beginning it seemed like Cis didn't have answers to a lot of our questions,but after learning we were the first group in Argentina it is understandable.

The residencia is super safe with cameras and such. The city, however, is a city. Therefore you need to keep values in safe spots, and go out in groups at night. (Thieves on motorcycles and hair stealing thieves was something new to me)

Social Life:
You're surrounded by culture in the resi. And everyone is more than happy to socialize. I made some amazing friends here, in hope to visit again later in life.