OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind

Review of Study Abroad Southern Africa- Namibia and South Africa Fall 2014

The program offered by Augsburg College is an amazing opportunity. Based in Windhoek, you will travel and learn a lot about Southern African states and struggles that they still have in nation-building

The Right Choice

Out of the hundreds of options I had to study abroad, I chose to study through CGE Southern Africa. Throughout my trip I constantly found myself saying, "this was the right choice." This program focused around so many things I had already learned about through my major, and helped to contextualize some of the more abstract theories I has studied throug my university. I learned more in these few months than I could have ever thought possible through travel, guest speakers, homestays and personal experiences. What's amazing about this program is that you get exposed to so many different ways of life, by travelling throughout Namibia and South Africa. Meeting people and learning about their experiences over the last few decades, during which both countries fought and gained their independance, allowed me to learn about something that had hardly ever been touched upon at any time throughout my educational career. Everytime we met someone new, got placed at a homestay, or travelled to a new area I knew that this had been the right program for me. If you want to learn a lot about the history of Southern Africa, whilst traveling around the area and meeting wonderful people, I would highly reccomend this program!

View detailed rating

CGE was meaningful, inspiring, and fun

CGE provided me with opportunities I could never have expected. Amazing speakers who have been through tons and are doing big things to change the world for the better walk into your living room and tell you about it. You (and your friends) are placed in an internship that gives you freedom and experience and lets you meet Namibians in an authentic way. And you are given the chance to really get to know a lot of people that will surprise you and end up some of your best friends.

View detailed rating

I really felt this was a a thought provoking, cohesive, and considerately-run program.

This program is great for anyone who wants to really get to know the history and current political and social climate of Southern Africa. It was a great opportunity to explore issues of social justice, both through an academic lens as well as through first hand experiences and through speakers. The staff goes out of the way to coordinate some amazing opportunities and the cultivate a supportive and productive learning community.

Great!

I'm so glad I went on this trip. It gave me a chance to explore issues of power and oppression and develop my ideas about social justice further. Our group was a great community, and I grew a lot from getting to know everyone on the trip. The trips to Johannesburg and Cape Town were both great, and in general we saw lots of really amazing speakers. Being in Windhoek was slightly less scintillating sometimes, but once I found a rhythm it was good. Sometimes it was a quieter kind of good, but I had a really happy semester overall.

Exploration

This program is excellent - there is a lot of travel, exposure to various cultures and first-hand stories, and out-of-the-box experiences.

View detailed rating

Amazing experience in a well rounded program.

Great experience. Good variety of speakers and topics. Classes taught well, with variety of teaching styles and methods. Loved the homestay experiences!

experiential

Everything from the days spent in informal settlements to the days spent on the beaches of Swakop to Cape town has been a tremendous life changing experience I wont soon forget. This program, through the conversations, service learning internship, and homestays has really helped me put into perspective the man and am and the man I want to become.

An Amazing Experience in Southern Africa

I came to Southern Africa with the Center for Global Education, not really knowing what to expect. I did not know very much about South Africa, and I knew even less about Namibia. This program gave me an amazing taste of both countries and I got to see and learn much more than I ever would have as a tourist. All of the staff at CGE are incredibly friendly and helpful. The program has a strong focus on experiential learning, which means that there is a great balance between classroom learning and going to speakers, museums, traveling, and staying with host families. The program has a strong emphasis on reflection and participants should really come expecting to grow and change. I would definitely recommend this program.

Living as a Global Citizen

I came to Namibia and Southern Africa to figure out what kind of career path I saw myself heading down... in a purely American context. When I left I realized that I had met and made friends from all over the world who were living and working in a country that was not their place of birth and finding real fulfillment. The Namibians I met in Windhoek are so supportive of this notion and helped shape me into a person with a wider scope of what it means to live in the "world".

Southern Africa

This program through Southern Africa and Namibia was truly amazing. I felt that I learned so much, however I feel more of it was in the country than out. I felt that our program paid for more trips, planned more speakers, and were more invested in us having a well rounded view of both countries than any out there, even if the academics were not always as challenging or as interesting as they could have been.

Southern Africa Fall 2014

Overall, a very great experience. Be prepared for challenges in terms of safety and cultural immersion, though. This is not a study abroad program for the faint of heart and is very different from traveling around Europe. I have had a very positive experience on this journey and would recomend going for those interested in politics, international development, history, and government.

CGE Namibia Fall 2014

The CGE staff does a great job of getting students ready for and facilitating cultural immersion and new learning opportunities. While learning takes place in an academic setting. Experiences outside of the classroom are the ones that I will value and remember the most.

View detailed rating

Everyone should study abroad at some point in their life.

Since it is so difficult to put my study abroad experience into words, I will start off with a cliche - studying abroad has been one of the best experiences of my life. Before I left for Namibia I was apprehensive and excited. I could not have imagined that this experience would affect me as much as it did. Not only did I make long-lasting friendships with the other students in my group, I also saw change in myself. Being a nursing major, my schedule has always been pretty strict and demanding. Studying in Namibia allowed me to take other classes and pursue other interests in a fully encompassing learning environment. I learned about history, politics, and development, which I may have never gotten the opportunity to explore if I had just stayed at my home university for all four years. I now have a better global perspective and contemplate issues such as privilege, economic disparities, and gender and race relations. It has been amazing to learn about this issues within a Southern African context and reflect on how these issues may or may not still be present in the United States. Not to mention that Namibia is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been to! I will always remember the beautiful sunsets and mountains, as well as all of the beautiful people that I was lucky enough to meet.

all good things

This semester I learned more than I have in any formal schooling. I was also the most consistently stimulated from my experiences abroad. I was exposed to things I would have never found on my own and I am eternally grateful for that.

New Perspectives

My study abroad experience opened my mind to a whole new world of possibilities. I was surrounded by people who had a different mindset about a lot of things, and that helped me grow tremendously as a person. The classes I took were so different from anything I had ever taken before and it helped me learn about issues I didn't even know about. The friendships I made will last a life time and I am so grateful and blessed to have had this opportunity. The best four months of my life.

Life changing

Going into the semester, I didn't really know what to expect especially because I had never taken any sort of international related courses in college being a nursing major. I learned more than I ever thought I would out of a classroom setting and I am grateful for the opportunities I've been given during my 4 months in Namibia.

Do It

This will be the best choice you ever make.

View detailed rating

The Center for Global Education offers a semester of individual growth, an intensive global perspective perspective, and experiences you will never stop thinking about.

My semester in Namibia was truly amazing; I know I will be thinking about these four months for the rest of my life. The Center for Global Education brings in interesting speakers and organizations who provide vastly different perspectives, finds wonderful homestay families, encourages discourse of important social issues, and offers opportunity for individual reflection and growth. I have been inspired by and learned so much this semester, made new lifelong friends, and had a blast all the way through.

Excellent people, excellent execution

This program manages to orchestrate a beautiful symphony of social justice issues, historic context, and plenty of peripheral discussions that have left me feeling like a far more knowledgeable individual. Never would I suggest someone looking for a blowoff study abroad experience enlist in this program, as there are far more suitable programs else where. Many of those who I have spent the past four months with share a passion for evaluating the most minute of social interactions, which is a welcome reprieve from a world full of those who take everything with a grain of salt. The professors all have an abundance of knowledge which they willingly share before, during, and after class. The speakers who grace this program with their time and presence all having interesting things to contribute, and a few of them certainly deserve a special place in history books every where. This program has been a phenomenal journey that I only wish could last far longer, as I still feel like far more can be learned than I have had time for.

View detailed rating

An unbelievable experience to examine your privilege and revitalize your passion for social justice

This program was extremely well organized and connected to the communities we were studying. It went above and beyond a tourist student experience kind of study abroad in an "exotic' country; it sought out marginalized voices and activities and community organizations where intercultural learning went both ways and we went extremely in depth in subjects of social justice, development and true social change beyond surface level giving that only make us feel better about ourselves. I and many of my colleagues have been significantly changed by this program, be it the friendships we were able to make, the ideas and perspective changes we've been introduced to, or just a revitalization of purpose and a sense of direction or action toward true equality in whatever area fits us best or is our interest. I would definitely recommend this program to all students with the means to get here because it involves a lot of exploring your own privilege and the repercussions of the way we all live, and offers alternative routes. I was extremely happy on this study abroad program and never once regretted my decision of this program above the others.

View detailed rating

My experience of Nation Building, Globalization, and Decolonizing the Mind was intense, challenging, thought-provoking, informative, and fun.

My time in Namibia and Southern Africa as many things. I chose these 5 adjectives to describe my time, but it was so much more complex than that. It was intense, challenging, and thought-provoking because not only was much of the content new to me, but I was also encouraged by my peers and professors to think about things I never had before. Through this, I learned a learned a lot, and also got to had a lot of fun with many different people that I would not have been able to meet otherwise. It also, however, was pretty one-sided, and I often felt like my opinion was not being heard or respected. Sometimes I could not be myself, which was possibly the most challenging thing about this semester.

View detailed rating

This program was perfect for me, and while I cannot speak for everyone, I beileve that this program would challenge and uplift many students who attended.

I believe that this program was perfect for me. I was able to learn about the culture of Namibia, meet and live with wonderful people, work in a welcoming and demanding environment, and see the awesome landscapes of southern Africa. It was tremendously challenging at times, but also helped me to form a better understanding of the world and of my view of the world. I was blessed to live in an uplifting and fun community that also helped to shape my ideas about life. My internship experience was amazing and that place is my family in Namibia. I am very grateful to have had this experience and I wish that many others could come study in Namibia on this program.

Amazing!

I learned so much about myself, America, Namibia and how the nations of the world interact and how these interactions can potentially create systemic problems. I learned about how different people are working towards a more sustainable and equitable future. I learned what small role I can play in these global dynamics and how continuous learning and education is the way to work towards a better future. This learning incorporated many different facets of learning and really incorporated critical thinking. I loved this learning and the constant challenge to become more involved and develop a better understanding of the world and the many misfortunes that human beings face. I also really loved Windhoek as a city, all of the places that we traveled to, and all of the fantastic people that we met, including each and every staff member.

View detailed rating

An illuminating program that forces people to confront the influence of power structures created by racism, capitalist affluence, and culture

This program forces ya'll to confront the structures of power that dominate the intellectual and physical spaces that we live in.