A woman on top of a mountain A woman on top of a mountain

Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind

This was a great program

I loved this program, the staff was incredible and there was so much learned in such a short time. I would definitely recommend this program. I learned a lot through classes and meeting and talking with locals. This experience is what you make it.

Amazing experience and learning

The program is awesome, from the visit to south African to the stay in Namibia. It is so well organized that we could only so much within such short period of time. The staffs are amazing as well, they are more than just our professors, RA and cook; we built a meaningful relationship/friendship which just add to the experiential learning.

Great experience

I had an amazing time! This program was truly life changing. Southern Africa is a beautiful region of the world rich in culture, people, and history. This program did an amazing job of capturing all of this, and I am so grateful to have had this wonderful experience.

Loved the program

Learned a lot about the political history of Namibia and had many incredible guest speakers. I am really grateful for all of the travel opportunities we had through this semester!

Decolonizing your mind with CGEE

The Center for Global Education and Experience is not the typical study abroad experience. This program challenges you to see the world through a non-Western view. You are learning the history of racism and in Both South Africa and Namibia. The narratives of black and brown bodies become a reality that you face, and you wonder why these stories were never told in our Western Education. Through experiential learning the CGEE creates a study abroad experience that you will never forget. You travel all over South Africa and Namibia with amazing individuals. If you are looking for a program that pushes you out of your comfort zone, and allows you to grow this program is for you!

Living and Learning in Community

This program provided an environment conducive to emotional and intellectual growth both individually and in community. In only a few months, I've learned enough about myself and the world to rival my two previous years of higher education.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:39 AM

What a wonderful reflection! Thank you for sharing this with us. We are always happy to hear how the program has changed and shaped young minds and futures.

Living in NAM

The CGEE program was wonderful and the experience life changing. We got to experience things that I would never experience in the United States like the rural home stays. the close knit community created makes it awesome.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:37 AM

We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us in Namibia! I know the “NAM-FAM” is always a close knit group, keep in touch after you get home! Thanks for the review.

CGEE Southern Africa: A Lovely Experience

The CGEE provides an excellent experience that I would not trade for any other. The culture that we are immersed in is like no other. You learn so much during this semester but you have fun doing it.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Thank you for the review! We love to blend cultural learning, challenging experiences, and fun all in one semester. Glad to hear you enjoyed your semester with us. Stay in touch!

A Great Experience

Absolutely worth it. Honestly, there were valuable experiences pretty much everywhere you went, no matter what you did. It could even be on the walk to the grocery store. As long as you realize that it's up to you to find them.

Amazing people, place, spirit

6 years have passed and I still view my semester in Southern Africa with CGE as one of the most influential and important experiences of my life. We learned a ton, were pushed outside of our comfort zone, and were given the framework to grow personally, professionally, & academically. Ubuntu always, sweet friends in Namibs!

Review of Study Abroad Southern Africa- Namibia and South Africa Fall 2014

The program offered by Augsburg College is an amazing opportunity. Based in Windhoek, you will travel and learn a lot about Southern African states and struggles that they still have in nation-building

The Right Choice

Out of the hundreds of options I had to study abroad, I chose to study through CGE Southern Africa. Throughout my trip I constantly found myself saying, "this was the right choice." This program focused around so many things I had already learned about through my major, and helped to contextualize some of the more abstract theories I has studied throug my university. I learned more in these few months than I could have ever thought possible through travel, guest speakers, homestays and personal experiences. What's amazing about this program is that you get exposed to so many different ways of life, by travelling throughout Namibia and South Africa. Meeting people and learning about their experiences over the last few decades, during which both countries fought and gained their independance, allowed me to learn about something that had hardly ever been touched upon at any time throughout my educational career. Everytime we met someone new, got placed at a homestay, or travelled to a new area I knew that this had been the right program for me. If you want to learn a lot about the history of Southern Africa, whilst traveling around the area and meeting wonderful people, I would highly reccomend this program!

CGE was meaningful, inspiring, and fun

CGE provided me with opportunities I could never have expected. Amazing speakers who have been through tons and are doing big things to change the world for the better walk into your living room and tell you about it. You (and your friends) are placed in an internship that gives you freedom and experience and lets you meet Namibians in an authentic way. And you are given the chance to really get to know a lot of people that will surprise you and end up some of your best friends.

I really felt this was a a thought provoking, cohesive, and considerately-run program.

This program is great for anyone who wants to really get to know the history and current political and social climate of Southern Africa. It was a great opportunity to explore issues of social justice, both through an academic lens as well as through first hand experiences and through speakers. The staff goes out of the way to coordinate some amazing opportunities and the cultivate a supportive and productive learning community.

Great!

I'm so glad I went on this trip. It gave me a chance to explore issues of power and oppression and develop my ideas about social justice further. Our group was a great community, and I grew a lot from getting to know everyone on the trip. The trips to Johannesburg and Cape Town were both great, and in general we saw lots of really amazing speakers. Being in Windhoek was slightly less scintillating sometimes, but once I found a rhythm it was good. Sometimes it was a quieter kind of good, but I had a really happy semester overall.

Exploration

This program is excellent - there is a lot of travel, exposure to various cultures and first-hand stories, and out-of-the-box experiences.

Amazing experience in a well rounded program.

Great experience. Good variety of speakers and topics. Classes taught well, with variety of teaching styles and methods. Loved the homestay experiences!

experiential

Everything from the days spent in informal settlements to the days spent on the beaches of Swakop to Cape town has been a tremendous life changing experience I wont soon forget. This program, through the conversations, service learning internship, and homestays has really helped me put into perspective the man and am and the man I want to become.

An Amazing Experience in Southern Africa

I came to Southern Africa with the Center for Global Education, not really knowing what to expect. I did not know very much about South Africa, and I knew even less about Namibia. This program gave me an amazing taste of both countries and I got to see and learn much more than I ever would have as a tourist. All of the staff at CGE are incredibly friendly and helpful. The program has a strong focus on experiential learning, which means that there is a great balance between classroom learning and going to speakers, museums, traveling, and staying with host families. The program has a strong emphasis on reflection and participants should really come expecting to grow and change. I would definitely recommend this program.

Living as a Global Citizen

I came to Namibia and Southern Africa to figure out what kind of career path I saw myself heading down... in a purely American context. When I left I realized that I had met and made friends from all over the world who were living and working in a country that was not their place of birth and finding real fulfillment. The Namibians I met in Windhoek are so supportive of this notion and helped shape me into a person with a wider scope of what it means to live in the "world".

Namibia2k16

Incredible experience! The program as a whole was very hands on and we were always working with people in the community, listening to speakers, and gaining knowledge of the local perspective. In terms of academics, the classes were not extremely difficult; however, if they were, it would have taken away from the overall experience. I learned a lot about myself, Namibian culture, and the role of building an international community.

Attila Sá

My experience at CGEE Southern Africa was excellent and I was able to learn so much about the world and the problems that I might not have otherwise noticed. This program opened my eyes to the discrimination that still exists in everyday life and the ways in which the world is still very much so colonized. I was able to get a feel for the local people and they ways in which they deal with important issues.

Informative Experience

Overall, this trip was a great experience that made an important mark on my life. The staff are a group of incredibly people, and the content of what we learn is really rich in history and cultural relevance today. The side trips we take are wonderful enhancements and good real life examples of what we learn about in class.

Southern Africa

This program through Southern Africa and Namibia was truly amazing. I felt that I learned so much, however I feel more of it was in the country than out. I felt that our program paid for more trips, planned more speakers, and were more invested in us having a well rounded view of both countries than any out there, even if the academics were not always as challenging or as interesting as they could have been.

Southern Africa Fall 2014

Overall, a very great experience. Be prepared for challenges in terms of safety and cultural immersion, though. This is not a study abroad program for the faint of heart and is very different from traveling around Europe. I have had a very positive experience on this journey and would recomend going for those interested in politics, international development, history, and government.