Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind

Living and Learning in Community

This program provided an environment conducive to emotional and intellectual growth both individually and in community. In only a few months, I've learned enough about myself and the world to rival my two previous years of higher education.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:39 AM

What a wonderful reflection! Thank you for sharing this with us. We are always happy to hear how the program has changed and shaped young minds and futures.

Living in NAM

The CGEE program was wonderful and the experience life changing. We got to experience things that I would never experience in the United States like the rural home stays. the close knit community created makes it awesome.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:37 AM

We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us in Namibia! I know the “NAM-FAM” is always a close knit group, keep in touch after you get home! Thanks for the review.

CGEE Southern Africa: A Lovely Experience

The CGEE provides an excellent experience that I would not trade for any other. The culture that we are immersed in is like no other. You learn so much during this semester but you have fun doing it.

• Center for Global Education and Experience, Augsburg College responded to this review December 07, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Thank you for the review! We love to blend cultural learning, challenging experiences, and fun all in one semester. Glad to hear you enjoyed your semester with us. Stay in touch!

A Great Experience

Absolutely worth it. Honestly, there were valuable experiences pretty much everywhere you went, no matter what you did. It could even be on the walk to the grocery store. As long as you realize that it's up to you to find them.

Amazing people, place, spirit

6 years have passed and I still view my semester in Southern Africa with CGE as one of the most influential and important experiences of my life. We learned a ton, were pushed outside of our comfort zone, and were given the framework to grow personally, professionally, & academically. Ubuntu always, sweet friends in Namibs!

Review of Study Abroad Southern Africa- Namibia and South Africa Fall 2014

The program offered by Augsburg College is an amazing opportunity. Based in Windhoek, you will travel and learn a lot about Southern African states and struggles that they still have in nation-building

The Right Choice

Out of the hundreds of options I had to study abroad, I chose to study through CGE Southern Africa. Throughout my trip I constantly found myself saying, "this was the right choice." This program focused around so many things I had already learned about through my major, and helped to contextualize some of the more abstract theories I has studied throug my university. I learned more in these few months than I could have ever thought possible through travel, guest speakers, homestays and personal experiences. What's amazing about this program is that you get exposed to so many different ways of life, by travelling throughout Namibia and South Africa. Meeting people and learning about their experiences over the last few decades, during which both countries fought and gained their independance, allowed me to learn about something that had hardly ever been touched upon at any time throughout my educational career. Everytime we met someone new, got placed at a homestay, or travelled to a new area I knew that this had been the right program for me. If you want to learn a lot about the history of Southern Africa, whilst traveling around the area and meeting wonderful people, I would highly reccomend this program!

View detailed rating

CGE was meaningful, inspiring, and fun

CGE provided me with opportunities I could never have expected. Amazing speakers who have been through tons and are doing big things to change the world for the better walk into your living room and tell you about it. You (and your friends) are placed in an internship that gives you freedom and experience and lets you meet Namibians in an authentic way. And you are given the chance to really get to know a lot of people that will surprise you and end up some of your best friends.

View detailed rating

I really felt this was a a thought provoking, cohesive, and considerately-run program.

This program is great for anyone who wants to really get to know the history and current political and social climate of Southern Africa. It was a great opportunity to explore issues of social justice, both through an academic lens as well as through first hand experiences and through speakers. The staff goes out of the way to coordinate some amazing opportunities and the cultivate a supportive and productive learning community.

Great!

I'm so glad I went on this trip. It gave me a chance to explore issues of power and oppression and develop my ideas about social justice further. Our group was a great community, and I grew a lot from getting to know everyone on the trip. The trips to Johannesburg and Cape Town were both great, and in general we saw lots of really amazing speakers. Being in Windhoek was slightly less scintillating sometimes, but once I found a rhythm it was good. Sometimes it was a quieter kind of good, but I had a really happy semester overall.

Exploration

This program is excellent - there is a lot of travel, exposure to various cultures and first-hand stories, and out-of-the-box experiences.

View detailed rating

Amazing experience in a well rounded program.

Great experience. Good variety of speakers and topics. Classes taught well, with variety of teaching styles and methods. Loved the homestay experiences!

experiential

Everything from the days spent in informal settlements to the days spent on the beaches of Swakop to Cape town has been a tremendous life changing experience I wont soon forget. This program, through the conversations, service learning internship, and homestays has really helped me put into perspective the man and am and the man I want to become.

An Amazing Experience in Southern Africa

I came to Southern Africa with the Center for Global Education, not really knowing what to expect. I did not know very much about South Africa, and I knew even less about Namibia. This program gave me an amazing taste of both countries and I got to see and learn much more than I ever would have as a tourist. All of the staff at CGE are incredibly friendly and helpful. The program has a strong focus on experiential learning, which means that there is a great balance between classroom learning and going to speakers, museums, traveling, and staying with host families. The program has a strong emphasis on reflection and participants should really come expecting to grow and change. I would definitely recommend this program.

Living as a Global Citizen

I came to Namibia and Southern Africa to figure out what kind of career path I saw myself heading down... in a purely American context. When I left I realized that I had met and made friends from all over the world who were living and working in a country that was not their place of birth and finding real fulfillment. The Namibians I met in Windhoek are so supportive of this notion and helped shape me into a person with a wider scope of what it means to live in the "world".

Informative Experience

Overall, this trip was a great experience that made an important mark on my life. The staff are a group of incredibly people, and the content of what we learn is really rich in history and cultural relevance today. The side trips we take are wonderful enhancements and good real life examples of what we learn about in class.

Southern Africa

This program through Southern Africa and Namibia was truly amazing. I felt that I learned so much, however I feel more of it was in the country than out. I felt that our program paid for more trips, planned more speakers, and were more invested in us having a well rounded view of both countries than any out there, even if the academics were not always as challenging or as interesting as they could have been.

Southern Africa Fall 2014

Overall, a very great experience. Be prepared for challenges in terms of safety and cultural immersion, though. This is not a study abroad program for the faint of heart and is very different from traveling around Europe. I have had a very positive experience on this journey and would recomend going for those interested in politics, international development, history, and government.

CGE Namibia Fall 2014

The CGE staff does a great job of getting students ready for and facilitating cultural immersion and new learning opportunities. While learning takes place in an academic setting. Experiences outside of the classroom are the ones that I will value and remember the most.

View detailed rating

Everyone should study abroad at some point in their life.

Since it is so difficult to put my study abroad experience into words, I will start off with a cliche - studying abroad has been one of the best experiences of my life. Before I left for Namibia I was apprehensive and excited. I could not have imagined that this experience would affect me as much as it did. Not only did I make long-lasting friendships with the other students in my group, I also saw change in myself. Being a nursing major, my schedule has always been pretty strict and demanding. Studying in Namibia allowed me to take other classes and pursue other interests in a fully encompassing learning environment. I learned about history, politics, and development, which I may have never gotten the opportunity to explore if I had just stayed at my home university for all four years. I now have a better global perspective and contemplate issues such as privilege, economic disparities, and gender and race relations. It has been amazing to learn about this issues within a Southern African context and reflect on how these issues may or may not still be present in the United States. Not to mention that Namibia is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been to! I will always remember the beautiful sunsets and mountains, as well as all of the beautiful people that I was lucky enough to meet.

all good things

This semester I learned more than I have in any formal schooling. I was also the most consistently stimulated from my experiences abroad. I was exposed to things I would have never found on my own and I am eternally grateful for that.

New Perspectives

My study abroad experience opened my mind to a whole new world of possibilities. I was surrounded by people who had a different mindset about a lot of things, and that helped me grow tremendously as a person. The classes I took were so different from anything I had ever taken before and it helped me learn about issues I didn't even know about. The friendships I made will last a life time and I am so grateful and blessed to have had this opportunity. The best four months of my life.

Life changing

Going into the semester, I didn't really know what to expect especially because I had never taken any sort of international related courses in college being a nursing major. I learned more than I ever thought I would out of a classroom setting and I am grateful for the opportunities I've been given during my 4 months in Namibia.

Do It

This will be the best choice you ever make.

View detailed rating

The Center for Global Education offers a semester of individual growth, an intensive global perspective perspective, and experiences you will never stop thinking about.

My semester in Namibia was truly amazing; I know I will be thinking about these four months for the rest of my life. The Center for Global Education brings in interesting speakers and organizations who provide vastly different perspectives, finds wonderful homestay families, encourages discourse of important social issues, and offers opportunity for individual reflection and growth. I have been inspired by and learned so much this semester, made new lifelong friends, and had a blast all the way through.