Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind
A woman on top of a mountain A woman on top of a mountain

Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind

Good

Overall great program the staff and professors truly do make this program as well as the traveling throughout the semester. However, I do wish I got to interact with more University students and that their was more help getting involved in community activities, there is a lot on this program that you have to do and find yourself.

Namibia 2018

Good program, helped me learn about Southern African culture while still being comfortable with amenities I am used to back home, (Food, wifi, A/C, etc). Classes are way too easy, assigned readings and papers were few and far between. Don't agree with the policy about not having alcohol at the house.

Namibia

Augsburg's study abroad program in Namibia is a unique experience. You get to learn in a hands-on way from local people. This includes trips to museums, monuments, and across the country. The staff is incredible! It is not a full cultural experience since you are living in a house with Americans, but it is what you make of it. You can learn and see a lot on this trip.

Challenge yourself

This program was immersive, insightful, and beyond anything that I could have expected. It challenged me in a variety of ways, and has aided in both my academic and personal life. I strongly recommend this program to anyone who wants to broaden their horizons, and challenge the status quo in which they live their lives.

An incredible experience in Namibia

My time at CGEE was incredible. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I learned so much from all of the staff. The home stays made the experience truly unique and helped you get a real idea of what it is like to live in a place that is so different than home. CGEE takes care of all housing and meals which gives you time to focus on learning the culture and exploring Windhoek. The trips they have planned are great and make sure that you stay busy and see as much of Namibia as possible. Not only that, they give you a lot of freedom to travel independently if you chose. It is hard to describe what an extraordinary experience CGEE Namibia is but I truly believe you cannot find a study abroad program like it. The courses are completely focused on experience which means the professors bring in outside speakers that give you so much more insight into the politics and history of the country. If you are looking for a non-traditional study abroad program, CGEE is the place to look.

The most rewarding 3 1/2 months of my life

Studying abroad in Namibia and South Africa provided me friends, family, and experiences that I will never forget! The CGEE Southern Africa program teaches you about present-day issues that you can't just read about. CGEE puts a large emphasis on experiential learning that really brings your time abroad and education focuses together to ensure you have meaningful time abroad. Plus Southern Africa is an amazing place with so much to see and do! Get out of your comfort zone and study with CGEE!

Southern Africa experience

I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to have gone on this incredible journey, stay with three incredible host families, travel throughout two different countries, and learn in completely new ways from professors, speakers, experiences, and by looking at what I've learned in the past with a new perspective.

It's cool

I loved this program. The people I met and experiences I had will stay with me for the rest of my life. I truly miss Namibia and the incredible people I met there, and I dream of going back to visit with everyone at CGE and the amazing host families I was able to stay with.

This was a great program

I loved this program, the staff was incredible and there was so much learned in such a short time. I would definitely recommend this program. I learned a lot through classes and meeting and talking with locals. This experience is what you make it.

Namibia2k16

Incredible experience! The program as a whole was very hands on and we were always working with people in the community, listening to speakers, and gaining knowledge of the local perspective. In terms of academics, the classes were not extremely difficult; however, if they were, it would have taken away from the overall experience. I learned a lot about myself, Namibian culture, and the role of building an international community.

Amazing experience and learning

The program is awesome, from the visit to south African to the stay in Namibia. It is so well organized that we could only so much within such short period of time. The staffs are amazing as well, they are more than just our professors, RA and cook; we built a meaningful relationship/friendship which just add to the experiential learning.

Great experience

I had an amazing time! This program was truly life changing. Southern Africa is a beautiful region of the world rich in culture, people, and history. This program did an amazing job of capturing all of this, and I am so grateful to have had this wonderful experience.

Loved the program

Learned a lot about the political history of Namibia and had many incredible guest speakers. I am really grateful for all of the travel opportunities we had through this semester!

Decolonizing your mind with CGEE

The Center for Global Education and Experience is not the typical study abroad experience. This program challenges you to see the world through a non-Western view. You are learning the history of racism and in Both South Africa and Namibia. The narratives of black and brown bodies become a reality that you face, and you wonder why these stories were never told in our Western Education. Through experiential learning the CGEE creates a study abroad experience that you will never forget. You travel all over South Africa and Namibia with amazing individuals. If you are looking for a program that pushes you out of your comfort zone, and allows you to grow this program is for you!

Attila Sá

My experience at CGEE Southern Africa was excellent and I was able to learn so much about the world and the problems that I might not have otherwise noticed. This program opened my eyes to the discrimination that still exists in everyday life and the ways in which the world is still very much so colonized. I was able to get a feel for the local people and they ways in which they deal with important issues.

Living and Learning in Community

This program provided an environment conducive to emotional and intellectual growth both individually and in community. In only a few months, I've learned enough about myself and the world to rival my two previous years of higher education.

• Center for Global Education & Experience, Augsburg University responded to this review January 23, 2017 at 3:27 AM

What a wonderful reflection! Thank you for sharing this with us. We are always happy to hear how the program has changed and shaped young minds and futures.

Living in NAM

The CGEE program was wonderful and the experience life changing. We got to experience things that I would never experience in the United States like the rural home stays. the close knit community created makes it awesome.

We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us in Namibia! I know the “NAM-FAM” is always a close knit group, keep in touch after you get home! Thanks for the review.

CGEE Southern Africa: A Lovely Experience

The CGEE provides an excellent experience that I would not trade for any other. The culture that we are immersed in is like no other. You learn so much during this semester but you have fun doing it.

• Center for Global Education & Experience, Augsburg University responded to this review January 23, 2017 at 3:26 AM

Thank you for the review! We love to blend cultural learning, challenging experiences, and fun all in one semester. Glad to hear you enjoyed your semester with us. Stay in touch!

Not for everyone

The CGE program in Namibia is not for everyone. It is challenging on a physical, emotional, and psychological level. Its alot different from the typical Euro study abroad experience and may not be as fun. If this program is right for you it will be the most meaningful experience of your life and you will make lasting relationships

My time with CGE

The CGE program in Southern Africa was an amazing experience on many fronts. The cultural immersion was the best. There were just administrative issues that were problematic. But overall it was good..

Informative Experience

Overall, this trip was a great experience that made an important mark on my life. The staff are a group of incredibly people, and the content of what we learn is really rich in history and cultural relevance today. The side trips we take are wonderful enhancements and good real life examples of what we learn about in class.

A Great Experience

Absolutely worth it. Honestly, there were valuable experiences pretty much everywhere you went, no matter what you did. It could even be on the walk to the grocery store. As long as you realize that it's up to you to find them.

CGE Southern Africa Program

I enjoyed this trip a lot! If you like nature but enjoy the cities, as well as trying new things, this is great for you!Also this is a very thought provoking trip, so come ready to think and ask critical questions.

Amazing people, place, spirit

6 years have passed and I still view my semester in Southern Africa with CGE as one of the most influential and important experiences of my life. We learned a ton, were pushed outside of our comfort zone, and were given the framework to grow personally, professionally, & academically. Ubuntu always, sweet friends in Namibs!

Southern Africa

This program through Southern Africa and Namibia was truly amazing. I felt that I learned so much, however I feel more of it was in the country than out. I felt that our program paid for more trips, planned more speakers, and were more invested in us having a well rounded view of both countries than any out there, even if the academics were not always as challenging or as interesting as they could have been.