Study abroad students Study abroad students

CEA Study Abroad in Vina del Mar, Chile

A year on the other side of the hemisphere

I chose to study in Chile because I wanted to have an experience full of a life at the beach, constant outdoor adventure, laid back Latin culture and be able to travel from the Patagonia mountains to the dressiest desert in the world all in the same country. Chile is an amazing country, It feels like my second home. The people are extremely friendly and always offer a hand of help. Most things don't cost very much so you able to do more things for the value of your money. The program director was amazing for CEA in Chile. She always helped us out so much and made sure everything was the best it could be. I loved my university because the professor wanted us to travel and when we had class I learned so many interesting things about Latin American in a whole new perspective. I 100 percent recommend going to study in Chile. I extended my program for a year because I didn't want to leave! You will fall in love with the country and not want to leave. Who wouldn't want to study in a place you can ski and surf in the same day?

Semester abroad in Vina del Mar

It is impossible to choose a single most memorable experience from spending 4 months in Chile. One of my memorable experiences was playing in the final minutes of the championship soccer game with the Universidad de Vina del Mar Chilean team. I realized when we were celebrating our win how close I had become to the other players in four short months, and I truly felt like I had achieved full cultural immersion at that time. It was a unique experience to be the only American playing on the team, but the players accepted me as one of their teammates. Playing on this team was an incredible opportunity that gave me a very unique perspective during my semester abroad.

Why Choose program : I wanted to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country outside of Europe, so I began looking into programs that offered semesters in South America. I was drawn to Chile due to its geographical variation from north to south, and I chose CEA Vina del Mar specifically because it offered a homestay, cultural immersion activities, and the opportunity to take classes with Chilean students. Having a program director on site was also a huge plus to help with adapting to a new culture, learning about a different culture from the point of view of someone who lives in the country, and to help with any potential problems.

I did a homestay and lived with a Mom who was a high school English teacher, a Dad who taught math at an elementary school, and two host sisters who were 15 and 21 years old. I had my own room with a private shower and sink, desk, drawers and closet, and television in my room. The house had a kitchen with all necessary appliances, a washer and dryer, a dining room, and sitting room. I had access to wifi internet in the house as well.

Semester abroad in Vina del Mar, Chile with CEA

I had an amazing study abroad experience through CEA. We had a small group, which allowed us all to become very close. We also took classes with students studying abroad through other programs as well as with Chilean students. The mixture of the groups worked very well. We did many cultural immersion activities with our CEA group, which helped us learn a lot more about the Chilean culture. I could not have asked to live with a better family. They fully understood the purpose of study abroad and were always open to discussing cultural differences. They provided a great connection between the topics I learned about in my classes and what I experienced every day outside of the house. I believe no other program could have given me a more complete, life-changing study abroad experience.